Stage Select

The SF6 Thread: Akuma Incoming!

Now that we've established that SF6 is a much better game than the train wreck that its predecessor was, can we take a moment to appreciate what a good time it is to be a member of the FGC? A new SF, a new MK on the way, as well as Garou 2 and Tekken 8. Not to mention that Samurai Shodown got rollback netcode and Strive is still going strong. In an ideal world, I would've also like DOA7 and VF6 to be announced, but I guess you can't have everything.

1 minute ago, Volta said:

Now that we've established that SF6 is a much better game than the train wreck that its predecessor was, can we take a moment to appreciate what a good time it is to be a member of the FGC? A new SF, a new MK on the way, as well as Garou 2 and Tekken 8. Not to mention that Samurai Shodown got rollback netcode and Strive is still going strong. In an ideal world, I would've also like DOA7 and VF6 to be announced, but I guess you can't have everything.

It's pretty great that crossplay is starting to become a normal feature too. I'm kind of holding out for umvc3 to get a rollback update announced at Evo this year.

31 minutes ago, Daemos said:

It’s no Rashidoooo that’s for sure.

I'd have thought there'd be mods for the music by now, instead, we get... https://www.nexusmods.com/streetfighter6/mods/443?tab=description

I'm not hating on the SF6 music, mind. I rarely notice it to bother, but I'll mod the crap out of it as soon as I can.

Edit: Though not sure how other tracks would suit the game, now I think about it for a second or two. Will definitely need to give it a try, it could so easily feel out of place.

Edited by JustBooming

Updates on my daughter playing Story Mode. She had her first fit of rage at a boss because she was unable to beat FANG in the Ken vs FANG fight. Tried a few times, got hella mad, asked me to beat it for her. Instead, I showed her how to throw a hadouken.

Funniest thing is seeing everybody semi dressed...and then Cammy and R.Mika just have their asses hanging out for no discernible reason. She hasn't asked why that is and I'm not sure I would have an answer for it. I now have an even harder time believing that grown ass men were literally whining on the internet so that Cammy could keep showing her ass like that in the main outfits.

Fucking hell. 😂

1 hour ago, TWINBLADES said:

Has Geif ever been so viable that no one had any complaints? All I see about Geif on Twitter is that he's shit and teir lists rank him lowest. Can Geif ever been considered good or is his archetype always destined to be like this?

The issue with grapplers is that games are always designed and balanced around not only competitive level, but also lower level players.

You can see that historically, a grappler can be low tier, but still be considered a noob/scrub and even enthusiast destroyer, since at lower levels they wreck them.

Also, the fact that he has a 720 can be seen as a factor of him being weak.

Since he is balanced around that as well, so having an explosive move in terms of damage, alongside the conventions around the archetype makes him in the need to have, at least on paper and in the eye of the designers, to have weakness to compensate for that.

It was a similar argument you could see regarding Tager on BB for a long time, that him having magnetism and a 720 meant he could never be better than mid tier, since he will always be balanced with those tools in mind, then add that he was a noob killer at low level and even mid level play.

You can certainly have a competent grappler and have it be above mid tier, but you usually see that they are designed either as a mix of grappler and hard hitter, or as a mobile grappler, who has good mobility options but lacks the explosive damage.

4 hours ago, TWINBLADES said:

Has Geif ever been so viable that no one had any complaints? All I see about Geif on Twitter is that he's shit and teir lists rank him lowest. Can Geif ever been considered good or is his archetype always destined to be like this?

Gief was way out of pocket in HDR and people hated it. And by way out of pocket, I mean that he was really good. That's the game Snake Eyez started with. Funny enough some of hte older ST player talked a lot of shit about Snake Eyez claiming he was only good because of the gief buffs he got in HDR. Then Snake Eyez jumped on SF4 and that was that.

There was one version of SF4 were Gief was really good and people HATED it too. Funny how that goes.

Shoutouts to NRS people not showing up to shit. You'd think with a new game on the horizon they would at least make a splash but holy shit. GBVS had more entrants last year:

Strive gain, T7 gained (surprisingly since its old AF by now),  KoF losing players sucks, Melty made a modest gain and NRS stayed NRS. DBF went up but not MK11? I don't get it.

On 7/10/2023 at 10:42 AM, Hawkingbird said:

Why Lily tomahawk buster is not a reversal is baffling. She can't use drive rush like other characters. She needs more paths so she can have more than one gameplan.

Lily might have the overall worst defense in the game

no proper reversal

about the slowest lvl 1 that has strike invincibility, jabs will 100% recover before your animation starts and they will get punish(ive experienced this first hand many times)

her only 4f is the shortest 4f range in the game, meaning her ability to challenge pressure is near non existent.

12 hours ago, TWINBLADES said:

Is Geif the cousin of that Marissa character I hear Americans talk about on stream?

11 hours ago, EvilCanadian said:

Lily might have the overall worst defense in the game

no proper reversal

about the slowest lvl 1 that has strike invincibility, jabs will 100% recover before your animation starts and they will get punish(ive experienced this first hand many times)

her only 4f is the shortest 4f range in the game, meaning her ability to challenge pressure is near non existent.

Not only this , she's meter heavy - needs EX windstock for true command grab mix. Meter heavy means you can't use Drive Reversal which is her only real option. 

Still...I think she's a character that you can Vegas your way to wins. 

Might get destroyed.... 

Might pick right three times and your dead.... GG

I can see her becoming a solid pocket. Easy to play, nothing to learn. 

2 hours ago, delete_me said:

Finally found out how that one track is called that occasionally plays in the Fighting Ground, it's just the instrumental version of the main theme:

Personally I think it's godlike.

It’s easily one of the best and most memorable, and not for the rap. It’s the music itself, and it feels very representative of SF6.

Think I'm getting the hang of this game. Beat some fraud Honda and a fraud Jaime to get back on diamond.

There's some things about this game that you have to keep in mind at all time that are weird. You also really, really should pay close attention to the ranges where things leave you at on blockstrings. Its frustrating but there is nuance there that has gameplay implications.

1 hour ago, Sonero said:

You also really, really should pay close attention to the ranges where things leave you at on blockstrings. Its frustrating but there is nuance there that has gameplay implications

I legit like this part. I really like the footsies in this game.  Maybe it's cause I'm coming down off of Strive so "wiggle back and forth in a staredown" as cipher once put it feels refreshing but spacing traps after blockstrings feel great.  

Well when they're not getting exploded by DI, anyway.

I'm starting to shop around for another character. Honda is killing my thumb, and I'm just not belligerent enough to go full sumo.

So here we go again. Who to main, who to main...