Stage Select

The MEGASHOCK Saloon Thread 3: Chinder Chagger Edition

3 minutes ago, Hecatom said:

I am staying in topic.

Im laying my argument and you simply want to ignore it/dismiss it.

The impact of all of those things i mentioned were more important to the growth of the scene and the true factor behind the revival of the genre than sfiv.

I dismiss because it had no direct effect on the scene. What capcom did directly affected the overall fgc scene. 

Culture shift was happening long before sf4 dropped and it did have a direct impact on fgc becoming more popular. 

You named a bunch of fighting game companies that just werent popping like that. 

The fact you are with a straight face naming anime fighters as pushing the culture forward of fgc worldwide is insane. 

Games being developed at the time does not mean they had a direct impact. We literally saw the direct impact from capcom at the times, wd have numbers, we have mainstream exposure, we can see the actual direct impact that happened in 09

2 hours ago, iStu X said:

SFxT was only a failure cause of shady business practices that were the norm in late aughts and 2010’s. The actual game is fantastic. Especially v. 2013. I still firmly believe it’s the best fighter capcom has put out since CvS2 and I’ll die on that hill. 

I actually agree with this, SFxT was janky but that's exactly what made it fun, because you could get waxed at any moment off one mistake.  That game had some RIDICULOUS combos IIRC.

Honestly I really enjoyed SF4 up until they added the dive kick twins, IMO the earlier versions were way better because most of the cast couldn't deal with dive kicks effectively.

SFV on launch felt incomplete and the game was definitely missing something.  It just felt like a glorified beta test.

7 minutes ago, Lantis said:

Yep I'm pretty sure Melty Blood was moving the needle before SF 4 came in

I am not talking that is moving the needle.

I am talking that every company was already doing their own thing regardless of SF.

I am also talking about how the growth of the scene was a by product of new technologies being a thing and how there was a change on how people consumed and played video games.

Is as simple as that, that you want to focus explicitly on the part that sf4 impact is overblow over those other factors because it goes against the narrative is another thing.

My argument is that people want to talk about the revival and how sf4 was instrumental while trying to downplay the things that actually made said growth happen.

Without any of those, the scene would have stayed the same more or less.

2007 to 2009 was a time of change across the board for the internet, gaming, etc.

This was fundamental in the growth of every niche on entertainment because it was suddenly a global thing.

2 minutes ago, Maxx said:

Lmfaooo you accused me of dismissing your miscellaneous cultural shift points and then i directly talk about it. Now your acting butt hurt because your wrong as fuck.

You laugh reacting and thumbing down my posts will never make you right. Just admit you just werent paying attention to the scene like that. 😘

Nigga, i am just saying this as it were.

You can try to dismiss it all you want by saying that i wasnt paying attention and other stupid shit, it doesn't change the fact that people are downplaying the real factors of the growth of the scene to oversell sf4 impact.

I organized tournaments in my country before and after sf4, and was in the frontlines of not only the scene of fgs but also soccer games, racing games, etc.

Also in the front of the changes of those technologies brought as whole on many aspects of gaming, other hobbies.

It wasn't isolated to just fighting games.

Every scene became bigger out of the blue at the same time, events became bigger.

You are the one that was not paying attention, because you want to see thing in a microcosmos to serve your perceived notions on how it played in your head.

Nigga, i am just saying this as it were.

You can try to dismiss it all you want by saying that i wasnt paying attention and other stupid shit, it doesn't change the fact that people are downplaying the real factors of the growth of the scene to oversell sf4 impact.

I organized tournaments in my country before and after sf4, and was in the frontlines of not only the scene of fgs but also soccer games, racing games, etc.

Also in the front of the changes of those technologies brought as whole on many aspects of gaming, other hobbies.

It wasn't isolated to just fighting games.

Every scene became bigger out of the blue at the same time, events became bigger.

You are the one that was not paying attention, because you want to see thing in a microcosmos to serve your perceived notions on how it played in your head.

I literally talked about my points in worldwide terms. I talked about the scene as a whole..you keep trying to change the narrstive as it being some sort of microcosm of america

1 minute ago, Hecatom said:

Yeah, yeah, i know, you just ignored all what i posted because it serves your narrative.

We can argue all day if you want, but is clear that we will be wasting time.

I literally directly replied to something you said with a counter point. Do you even know what ignoring means. 

I already replied to those points earlier, whst am i gonna do just reiterate the fact cultural shift was haplening long before 09 and didnt have a direct impact again? 

16 minutes ago, Hecatom said:

I am not talking that is moving the needle.

I am talking that every company was already doing their own thing regardless of SF.

I am also talking about how the growth of the scene was a by product of new technologies being a thing and how there was a change on how people consumed and played video games.

Is as simple as that, that you want to focus explicitly on the part that sf4 impact is overblow over those other factors because it goes against the narrative is another thing.

My argument is that people want to talk about the revival and how sf4 was instrumental while trying to downplay the things that actually made said growth happen.

Without any of those, the scene would have stayed the same more or less.

2007 to 2009 was a time of change across the board for the internet, gaming, etc.

This was fundamental in the growth of every niche on entertainment because it was suddenly a global thing.

Dude, what growth in what scene? All the releases from those series you mentioned were just appealing to their already established fanbase: MK, GG, VF, any random ass anime fighting game, etc.

Hell I would argue only Tekken went under everyone's radar except for the Tekken scene itself. Tekken did not get back into the limelight until Tekken 7 blew that door wide open.

SF 4 brought fighting games back for the casual audience as a whole. I doubt anyone was excited for GG Accent Core Dos Equis Lager aside from those already playing GG.

1 hour ago, Lantis said:

Dude, what growth in what scene? All the releases from those series you mentioned were just appealing to their already established fanbase: MK, GG, VF, any random ass anime fighting game, etc.

Hell I would argue only Tekken went under everyone's radar except for the Tekken scene itself. Tekken did not get back into the limelight until Tekken 7 blew that door wide open.

SF 4 brought fighting games back for the casual audience as a whole. I doubt anyone was excited for GG Accent Core Dos Equis Lager aside from those already playing GG.

Mks been push in the fgc and revival as a genre was after sf4. 

Cosigning tekken revival happening after 7. Tag 2 was basically dead on arrival and 6 was decent but 7 brought in sooo many new players. 

Strive is the best selling gg game ever. Before that it was usual anime circles.. Its easily the most popular anime game and almost feels like its in a different genre but it wasnt pushing it like that. The best these games did was after sf4 dropped. 

Edited by Maxx
17 minutes ago, J-ride said:

I actually agree with this, SFxT was janky but that's exactly what made it fun, because you could get waxed at any moment off one mistake.  That game had some RIDICULOUS combos IIRC.

Honestly I really enjoyed SF4 up until they added the dive kick twins, IMO the earlier versions were way better because most of the cast couldn't deal with dive kicks effectively.

SFV on launch felt incomplete and the game was definitely missing something.  It just felt like a glorified beta test.

SFIV started to lose me after Super as well.

The combination of balance philosophies (aka, nerf the fun out of the game) plus the not so good online mode when compared to its contemporaries burned me out.

In some way the game felt stagnant for me after a while.

It didn't help the game that by the time that Arcade Edition came out, we had other games to grab my attention both fgs and non fgs.

Or had other fgs on the horizon that looked more enticing mvc3, mk9 took a lot of my time.

On the subject of SFxT, i wanted to like it, but leaving the disastrous release state and debacles, the game turned into something that i wasn't really a fan of.

I didn't like that they added chains just to pussy around it by punishing you for using them by not being able to special cancel out of them.

Plus, i was more interested on the initial idea of the gems being able to change in a more drastic way your way of play than what we got, that were essentially just small power ups for a period of time on certain areas.

I know that it would have been a nightmare to balance, but the idea of being able to change how your projectile behave when compared to other player was interesting, and in the end, is not like with the lame versions we got they werent still banned from tournament play.

For me it was a game that had potential but in the end played it safe to its own detriment. 

I only ended with a copy of the game because a friend of mine gifted it to me for ps3, and some years later on pc because @Psychobluegifted it to me in a misguided attempt to make me play it with him 🤣

9 minutes ago, Lantis said:

snip

2 minutes ago, Maxx said:

snip

I love how you 2 insist on completely missing the point of my posts.

Like i said, we can argue in circles all day, but is clear that you just want to ignore what i posted to keep arguing in circles 🤷‍♂️

You want to believe that sf4 was the reason behind the revival, i am pointing out how the technologies that came at the time ahd a major role.

You want to ignore that, fine, I already said what i had to say, posting more will only repeat myself for deaf ears.

9 minutes ago, Hecatom said:

I love how you 2 insist on completely missing the point of my posts.

Like i said, we can argue in circles all day, but is clear that you just want to ignore what i posted to keep arguing in circles 🤷‍♂️

You want to believe that sf4 was the reason behind the revival, i am pointing out how the technologies that came at the time ahd a major role.

You want to ignore that, fine, I already said what i had to say, posting more will only repeat myself for deaf ears.

All the stuff tech wise and cultural shifts happened before the time. Nothing new came in around 09.  online play already existed, streaming also already existed in his early state...what was new that helped the scene? 

Edited by Maxx
6 minutes ago, Maxx said:

All the stuff tech wise and cultural shifts happened before the time. Nothing new came in around 09.  online play already existed, streaming also already existed in his early state...what was new that helped the scene? 

You really are a dense mofo 🤣

Yeah, lets pretend that by those years those technologies were not starting to become a norm among everyone.

Online play was a thing, yes, but boradband wasn't accessible for everyone until around that period, and fgs having online play was not the norm.

You can try to downplay all of that and dismiss it as non relevant, but doesn't change the fact that those had a major role on the boom as i already pointed out.

If you want to argue in circles all day, i can entertain you for a while, we will just be parroting the same shit all day.

Well... the archive is officially gone. Shoryuken forums shows up on google but I can't connect to the website. I was trying to find a post where I said Razor secretly likes watching big booty black women twerk. Before this, maybe about a month ago, I was re-reading angelpalm's hilarious thread about how a black guy got rejected by his e-waifu when he went to Japan. Guess it's RIP fr this time.

14 minutes ago, Hecatom said:

You really are a dense mofo 🤣

Yeah, lets pretend that by those years those technologies were not starting to become a norm among everyone.

Online play was a thing, yes, but boradband wasn't accessible for everyone until around that period, and fgs having online play was not the norm.

You can try to downplay all of that and dismiss it as non relevant, but doesn't change the fact that those had a major role on the boom as i already pointed out.

If you want to argue in circles all day, i can entertain you for a while, we will just be parroting the same shit all day.

You keep saying im dismissing your points.. I directly address them and somehow your still butthurt. Nigga gtfo the internet if all you wanna do is be sensitive and cry because someone disagrees with you

Just fyi fighting games that has online play around that time

-tekken 6

-street fighter 4

-accent core

-virtua fighter 5

-mvc2

Edited by Maxx
6 minutes ago, Maxx said:

You keep saying im dismissing your points.. I directly address them and somehow your still butthurt. Nigga gtfo the internet if all you wanna do is be sensitive and cry because someone disagrees with you

Just fyi fighting games that has online play around that time

-tekken 6

-street fighter 4

-accent core

-virtua fighter 5

-

Lol, You don't address shit 🤣

You just take a part of my argument and misconstruct it to serve your stance.

You keep going on tangents that only serve to go on circles because reasons.

Like for example, pointing out that those games had online doesn't make my argument invalid.

So dunno what do you want to gain by pointing this out.

You want to downplay the factors i mentioned by going hurr durr, they were already out.

No shit sherlock.

It is why they became a thing that it made accessible for people to watch tournaments online, to post their matches online, etc

Having social media sites made easy for people to gather around and find more easy about games and people who played it online.

Having consoles with network cards from the get go made games having online a standard.

And yes, Other consoles already had online networks, but  broadband connections  becoming more available and affordable meant that playing online was a viable option.

No one was playing CVS2 online on the og xbox

1 minute ago, Hecatom said:

Lol, You don't address shit 🤣

You just take a part of my argument and misconstruct it to serve your stance.

You keep going on tangents that only serve to go on circles because reasons.

Like for example, pointing out that those games had online doesn't make my argument invalid.

So dunno what do you want to gain by pointing this out.

You want to downplay the factors i mentioned by going hurr durr, they were already out.

No shit sherlock.

It is why they became a thing that it made accessible for people to watch tournaments online, to post their matches online, etc

Having social media sites made easy for people to gather around and find more easy about games and people who played it online.

Having consoles with network cards from the get go made games having online a standard.

And yes, Other consoles already had online networks, but  broadband connections  becoming more available and affordable meant that playing online was a viable option.

No one was playing CVS2 online on the og xbox

-People were absolutely playing cvs2 online at the time. Lmfao i was literally online playing it then. 

-all the social media sites in 09 existed prior. Fb, Twitter and to a lesser extend myspace was still going. There wasnt a new hotbed to find games... People were on srk and the forums still for that.

-me pointing out the big games at the time having online play absolutely makes your argument invalid fgs had online play as a norm at the time. You can argue the online may not have been a good experience but that doesnt mean they didnt have it

1 minute ago, Maxx said:

Snip

Gonna play your game

Since SF4 was the key of the revival why was always overshadow in entrant numbers by Melee on the tournaments where both were part of the lineup? 🤔

Since you wanna go on tangents i will also go on tangents 🤣

Edited by Hecatom
4 minutes ago, Hecatom said:

Since SF4 was the key of the revival why was always overshadow in entrant numbers by Melee on the tournaments where both were part of the lineup?

🙅‍♂️  foul on the play.

Comparing the overall numbers from FGC to Smash, FGC numbers are always bigger. The problem is that the FGC is divided up in multiple games while smashers stay on smash regardless of what comes out. Hell smashers stay on smash even when alternatives come up (as seen recently through a bunch of games).

That's a dishonest line of argumentation.

10 minutes ago, Sonero said:

🙅‍♂️  foul on the play.

Comparing the overall numbers from FGC to Smash, FGC numbers are always bigger. The problem is that the FGC is divided up in multiple games while smashers stay on smash regardless of what comes out. Hell smashers stay on smash even when alternatives come up (as seen recently through a bunch of games).

That's a dishonest line of argumentation.

I know, but since this nigga wants to go on tangents that don't hold merit against my argument i will play the same game 🤷‍♂️

I know, but since this nigga wants to go on tangents that don't hold merit against my argument i will play the same game 🤷‍♂️

What tangents? Fucking god how dumb are you? I literally addressed your points in response. Every fucking thing i said was a direct response to you. You accused me of dodging it and i didnt.who the fuck let you run any tournaments because you are fucking dumb as shit. 

Edited by Maxx
1 hour ago, J-ride said:

For me SFIV for worse with every revision. Vanilla IV felt absolutely wonderful to me. It felt like a street fighter. Every revision after didn’t. With Super I was fine with the Twins as they didn’t really bother me. Probably cause I mained Yun after they nerfed Rufus into oblivion. 😂 

But the game felt worse and worse to me as it grew. It turned into virtua fighter with all bullshit plinking one frame combo strings. 

Don’t even get me started on Elena’s busted ass self in Ultra

with SFxT it felt better with every updates because they slowly made all the shit everyone hated about the game optional and they upped the damage output for the game. Also by the time v. 2013 came out the game was fairly balanced. There was still some silliness to it but what game wasn’t that way? 

also side note: I never would have even bothered with SFIV if it hadn’t been for Rufus. 

Edited by iStu X

You guys know how I feel about SFIV. That said, it did lead to a resurgence of 2D fighters. 3D fighters never died. Tekken was going strong. 2D style fighters? Not so much. Casuals had no interest in them. Sure hardcores never left but often industries can't survive on hardcore consumers alone. SNK went bankrupt at one point. 2D fighters had become very niche. Things would be very different without SFIV launching and I say that as someone that does not like that game.

Edited by Darc_Requiem

SFxT is my zen, still playing it after a decade.  Sooner or later that "doesn't work out of the box" issue will be fixed and people will see why this game is one of Arturo's best drawing content since 2019.

The biggest flex I've had with SFxT recently is one of the BFTG League dorks was shitting on me and my game last year and said that all my accolades were fraudulent because it was in a game as bad as that.  

Me playing a casual set with my mate JuriKillsFriend a couple of weeks ago before the Suns/Wizards game outdrew their entire esports league finale on the game's official youtube page.

Edited by Psychoblue
1 hour ago, Darc_Requiem said:

You guys know how I feel about SFIV. That said, it did lead to a resurgence of 2D fighters. 3D fighters never died. Tekken was going strong. 2D style fighters? Not so much. Casuals had no interest in them. Sure hardcores never left but often industries can't survive on hardcore consumers alone. SNK went bankrupt at one point. 2D fighters had become very niche. Things would be very different without SFIV launching and I say that as someone that does not like that game.

Yeah, I didn't fuck with SFIV after a while, but I feel it had to play SOME part in Mortal Kombat 9 coming out the way it did. If I'm right, then I'm thankful for that. I played the fuck out of MK9 once I got into it.