Stage Select

Video Game Discussion Thread vol. 2

On 2/9/2022 at 11:50 PM, Sonichuman said:

I'm super looking forward to this game. Please Konami don't fuck it up 🙏

On 2/10/2022 at 12:44 AM, RSG3 said:

I looked into setting up RetroArch and bypassing the Emulators control config with the front end but man....every time i look at doing anything in Retroarch that isnt out the box it gets fucking annoying real fast. I still dunno why everyones so madly in love with this front end. Its a pain in the ass just setting controllers up, much less games. Maybe i'll be more motivated to try later.

RetroArch is a case in point as to why programmer types need UI designers or even juat someone outside that realm to help. That front end has some of the most forward thinking features and yet you still can't even map multiple functions to the same button and the controller mapping process itself is enough to make decide it may not be worth the hassle.

16 hours ago, iStu X said:

This is dope af 

I didn't know they were going to be including the original game with the package! It's a great game BTW if anyone here hasn't tried it, it's based on the engine they used for the first NES TMNT game and there's a lot of great music. I hope this new game really hits because it's a series that could use a little more shine.

1 minute ago, Chadouken said:

The end of it is hinting at a pretty fucking big game play element that's gonna completely change shit. Like, automatically put it in GOTY for me if true.

Well then. What's the name of the trailer? The cinematic one?

Edited by RSG3
2 hours ago, DoctaMario said:

I'm super looking forward to this game. Please Konami don't fuck it up 🙏

RetroArch is a case in point as to why programmer types need UI designers or even juat someone outside that realm to help. That front end has some of the most forward thinking features and yet you still can't even map multiple functions to the same button and the controller mapping process itself is enough to make decide it may not be worth the hassle.

I didn't know they were going to be including the original game with the package! It's a great game BTW if anyone here hasn't tried it, it's based on the engine they used for the first NES TMNT game and there's a lot of great music. I hope this new game really hits because it's a series that could use a little more shine.

It kinda sucks.  Just, you know, dont get your hopes up.

Edited by Faltimar the Dark
5 hours ago, Darc_Requiem said:

Project Triangle Strategy is such a silly name. I really enjoyed my time with the demo but within a couple of hours of playing it, it's clear the games title should "Scales of Conviction". It's a major mechanic in the game and sounds like solid title IMO.

What you are saying makes conventional sense but you are talking about the Square Enix company. They have made strange names for decades.

5 hours ago, Darc_Requiem said:

Project Triangle Strategy is such a silly name. I really enjoyed my time with the demo but within a couple of hours of playing it, it's clear the games title should "Scales of Conviction". It's a major mechanic in the game and sounds like solid title IMO.

you still gunna get it tho. 👀

19 minutes ago, Wellman said:

What you are saying makes conventional sense but you are talking about the Square Enix company. They have made strange names for decades.

I don't think that's the case for this game. It feels like Triangle Strategy was the working title and they never bothered to give it a proper name. I felt the same way with Octopath Traveler 

January 2022 NPD is out!

https://venturebeat.com/2022/02/11/january-2022-npd-pokemon-tops-the-charts/

https://venturebeat.com/2022/02/11/january-2022-npd-ps5-and-xbox-outsell-nintendo-switch/

Hardware:

As you can see Switch was completely ousted out of the throne for the month of January.  Apparently it got kicked so hard out of the throne that Xbox outsold it in sales.  So PS5 was top console for the month, followed by Xbox SeX/SeS, and then Switch.

Software:

Noteworthy things first.  Pokemon Legends Arceus bodied January.  Why would I specifically say bodied in this instance?  Because it was no.1 for the month and released JAN. 28TH.  It had a whole 3 days to its life and took over January lol.  Monster Hunter Rise made a jump from spot #94 ALLLLL the way to #3 for the month.  Dad of War also had an even bigger resurgence with it having been #146 last month and jumped up to #5.  Miles Morales is now just trailing Spider-Man and Dad of War in life time dollar sales.

Top 20 January: Pokemon Legends: Arceus, CoD: Vanguard, MH: Rise,  Dat Madden 22, Dad of War, Miles Morales, FIFA 22, MK8D, Rainbow Six: Extraction (that's right...this was a thing that came out didn't it?),  Battlefield 2042, Pokemon BD/SP, Far Cry 6, Minecraft, NBA 2K22, Mario Party Superstars, AC: NH, Forza Horizon 5, Halo Infinite (this game took a hard drop...it was 2 last month), Smash Ult, CoD Blops CW

(kind of surprised that GTAV is nowhere to be found on here)

Top 10 Nintendo: Pokemon Legends: Arceus, MK8D, Pokemon BD/SP, Mario Party Superstars, AC: NH, Smash Ult, Just Dance 2022, LoZ: BotW, SM3DW+BF, NSMBUD

Top 10 Playstation: CoD: Vanguard, Miles Morales, Dat Madden 22, FIFA 22, Rainbow Six: Extraction, GoTsu, Spider-Man, Battlefield 2042, NBA 2K22, Far Cry 6

Top 10 Xbox: Cod Vanguard, Dat Madden 22, Far Cry 6, Battlefield 2042, Halo Infinite, Forza Horizon 5, Rainbow Six Extraction, NBA 2K22, FIFA 22, CoD: Blops CW

14 minutes ago, Darc_Requiem said:

I'm the core audience. I'm not the type of gamer they have to sell the concept to.

Im getting it too. I’m hoping to beat Arceus by next week so I can play through the next voice of cards game before Triangle Strategy drops at the beginning of March then beat that before Kirby. 

Switch trying to streamline being a loser. 😂

Edited by iStu X
1 hour ago, Hawkingbird said:

I don't think that's the case for this game. It feels like Triangle Strategy was the working title and they never bothered to give it a proper name. I felt the same way with Octopath Traveler 

No you are absolutely correct this is a project name, but it falls exactly in their wheel house of nonsense names. The recently remade Live A Live, 80% of the SaGa games, every Kingdom Hearts spinoff or rerelease, Bravely Default, etc.

There isn't a name they would say they won't use.

39 minutes ago, Darc_Requiem said:

Octopath Traveler was/is certainly a weird title but Project Triangle Strategy is next level bad. It's sounds like a math game. 😔

Octopath Traveler was initially a great title name to me because it was 8 different travelers with their own singular goal meeting up in a way that they had no idea connected them all. 

The reason it became a goofy as fuck was when they released all the character names and all of them spelled out “Octopath”. My eyes rolled hard at that nonsense. 

scales of conviction would have been a much more dope name though, you right. It sounds like a bad ass metal album name or title track 

Edited by iStu X

Just finished the latest RE movie and I gotta say, it was better than I expected.  It does the games quite a bit of justice although there was one iconic scene that I was hoping would be in there and wasn't, and the dude that plays Chris even brings it up in the extras.  They did have the other iconic scene I was hoping for and it did the OG game justice.

9 hours ago, purbeast said:

Just finished the latest RE movie and I gotta say, it was better than I expected.  It does the games quite a bit of justice although there was one iconic scene that I was hoping would be in there and wasn't, and the dude that plays Chris even brings it up in the extras.  They did have the other iconic scene I was hoping for and it did the OG game justice.

If it ever shows up on a streaming service I'll give it a shot.

4 minutes ago, Sonichuman said:

If it ever shows up on a streaming service I'll give it a shot.

I got it from Redbox.  IMO it's worth watching just for the fan service.  But there is also some stuff changed which may piss people off too but I get why they did it.  There were things in the movie that were in the games that I just did not remember, and then there were things in the movie that weren't in the games.  I had to go back and watch an RE1 and 2 recap on youtube after though to see how close it was to the game story.

The 3 extras on the bluray were also really cool.  The guy who plays Chris seems like he is a huge RE fan in general which was cool to see that these actors were actual fans of the game.  Same with the director.  They show some side by side stuff too, movie and game, in the extras.  Just cool to watch as a fan of the games.

Edited by purbeast
5 minutes ago, purbeast said:

I got it from Redbox.  IMO it's worth watching just for the fan service.  But there is also some stuff changed which may piss people off too but I get why they did it.  There were things in the movie that were in the games that I just did not remember, and then there were things in the movie that weren't in the games.  I had to go back and watch an RE1 and 2 recap on youtube after though to see how close it was to the game story.

The 3 extras on the bluray were also really cool.  The guy who plays Chris seems like he is a huge RE fan in general which was cool to see that these actors were actual fans of the game.  Same with the director.  They show some side by side stuff too, movie and game, in the extras.  Just cool to watch as a fan of the games.

Sounds like they had the makings to do something really good and ended up getting in their own way.  Really wish they hadn't attempted to squeeze 2 games into 1 movie. 

3 minutes ago, Sonichuman said:

Sounds like they had the makings to do something really good and ended up getting in their own way.  Really wish they hadn't attempted to squeeze 2 games into 1 movie. 

Yeah I actually had to go back and look at the timeline of RE1 and RE2 to see what was going on. 

I'll put this in spoilers below but it's just a timeline thing in the movie so not really much of a spoiler, also since I'm assuming everyone has played both games lol.

Spoiler

Basically in this movie, RE1 and RE2 happen at the same time.  But, I'd say this one spends more time on RE2 than RE1 game/story.