Stage Select

Video Game Discussion Thread vol. 2

9 hours ago, DangerousJ said:

If I had to guess, Paramount doesnt have many big theatrical franchises compared to Disney /WB and is hoping to maximize profit on Sonic.

Paramount hasn't had a major hit for a while. Star Trek burned out after the first reboot. Terminator keeps flopping. Mission Impossible is the only other franchise they got that still sees success. I can see why they are going all in with Sonic

11 hours ago, Sonichuman said:

....Why did people not like the choice of "Literal" for a translation?  It seems pretty self explanatory and not offensive.  Am I missing something?

Translators that as for as I know didn’t work on the game are upset that a literal translation is a mockery and doesn’t show faith to whatever localization a translator does. Other than showing these translators do add whatever the hell they want in spite of the material, it gets dumber than that.

As you may know, other than using the same characters, Shin Nekketsu Kōha: Kunio-tachi no Banka is tonally very different compared to River City Girls. SNK: Kunio is one of the darker entries in the franchise, having the main characters framed for a murder. 

Spoiler

Along with having Misako and Kyoko, the quirky girls you play in RCG, almost die from a gunshot.

RCG in comparison is very comedic and takes nothing serious. To the point a lot of people wondering how Wayforward would tie the darkest Kunio game to a game where you dab as an attack.

I’m going to assume this discourse is from people that do not know this story and and actually think it is a better translation compared to whatever they’re doing. Not once have I seen anyone on either side talk about how different SNK: Kunio is from RCG, only talking about the use of a Literal vs New translation. It is for the best that WF changed the terms to Original vs RCG but the fact it was a problem in the first place was stupid.

Edited by BornWinner

the weird part of the translators complaining that no one has faith in them or takes them seriously is that they pretend like they had nothing to do with it. like before the last 8 or so years i would have never shit on a translator especially after coming up on 90's translations which were done a lot of the time by one guy under strict deadlines. 

ps1,2, and 3 era saw a lot of improvement and you can tell a lot of love went into shit like shadow hearts, persona at least after 1, and nier. but lately niggas going into business for themselves and wondering why they get shit on. like i already said im fine with some flavor but at the same time it has to fit and you should know your audience but problem is  you can only get away with that shit because no one takes you seriously.

imagine you were in charge of translating microwave instructions or some shit and went fuck this imma put my own shit in! next thing you know little timmy then fucked up the whole kitchen! if they want to be taken seriously they gotta hold themselves to some kind of standard but id bet they don't want that shit.

13 hours ago, Hecatom said:

Not the issue at hand in this current situation.

They are seething because the use of literal in this case can be seen not puting faith in the translation work of the localization team, something that is very much warranted by now, seeing how proudly the idiots in the industry post on twitter about how incompetent are at they work by saying shit like how they love to insert gamergate references on their translations, remove "problematic" stuff from the work, etc, etc.

Yeah I was just commenting on why calling it literal is a bad idea regardless.

1 hour ago, nickmanx5 said:

the weird part of the translators complaining that no one has faith in them or takes them seriously is that they pretend like they had nothing to do with it. like before the last 8 or so years i would have never shit on a translator especially after coming up on 90's translations which were done a lot of the time by one guy under strict deadlines. 

ps1,2, and 3 era saw a lot of improvement and you can tell a lot of love went into shit like shadow hearts, persona at least after 1, and nier. but lately niggas going into business for themselves and wondering why they get shit on. like i already said im fine with some flavor but at the same time it has to fit and you should know your audience but problem is  you can only get away with that shit because no one takes you seriously.

imagine you were in charge of translating microwave instructions or some shit and went fuck this imma put my own shit in! next thing you know little timmy then fucked up the whole kitchen! if they want to be taken seriously they gotta hold themselves to some kind of standard but id bet they don't want that shit.

Ignoring the colorful language from the typical 4channer.

This post sheds some light on why this phenomenom has become more prominent those last few years

FLpTJByXwAMb2RQ?format=png&name=large

TDLR, the good translators move into technical fields.

The bad ones stay on pop culture stuff, since they work for pennies and can be overworked.

I agree about Shadow Hearts. Don't think I have ever seen complaints about the translation.

I wish publishers had middle inspection like they have in other industries: have a separate group of people go through the translation as translation work is completed. In this case, have Japanese natives proficient in English read the translation.

Edited by AriesWarlock
19 minutes ago, AriesWarlock said:

I wish publishers had middle inspection like they have in other industries: have a separate group of people go through the translation as translation work is completed. In this case, have Japanese natives proficient in English read the translation.

You also run into issues where things don't translate.
Even if there a word for something, there might not be a cultural equivalent so the words/phrase don't translate anyways. 
So you have to look into the meaning or intent of the dialog instead of the literal translation  

58 minutes ago, AriesWarlock said:

I agree about Shadow Hearts. Don't think I have ever seen complaints about the translation.

im pretty convinced if shadow hearts had a decent marketing budget that series would not only be alive but it would be in a similar position to persona right now.

2 hours ago, nickmanx5 said:

Just thought of this after reading this. Metroid Other M is another example of terrible translation. I'm not saying people have been revered it as the best game ever, but if the translation actually reflected what Samus and Adam were like in the Japanese original, I guarantee it would not be so hated. English Samus acts like she has some sort of school girl crush on Adam. Japanese Samus acted like she wanted to cut his nuts off for calling her "lady". The poor framing of their relationship and general altering of their personalities completely ruins the context of the games events. 

27 minutes ago, Darc_Requiem said:

Japanese Samus acted like she wanted to cut his nuts off for calling her "lady". The poor framing of their relationship and general altering of their personalities completely ruins the context of the games events. 

Metroid Fusion even went into how Samus hated being called Lady by Adam, as she felt that he did it to patronize/mock her.
She only got over it at the end of Fusion when she came to terms with her relationship with her former commander. 

Sad thing is I can only review/ form a option of the prestation I saw and not the Artistic Intent. 

6 hours ago, nickmanx5 said:

Everyone thinks they're a fuckin activist these days

1 hour ago, HD-Man said:

It's like Nintendo going out of their way to almost co-erce you to play their old games illegally. Just make shit available so ppl won't bootleg, they act like they're allergic to money 😂

Nintendo don't care if you actually play, they just want to hold your nostalgia hostage.
They rather you be angry and hold bad emulation behind paywalls than to let you play bootlegs. 

Good thing I already downloaded the entire NES, SNES, GB/GBC,GBA, and N64 rom set
I also have a curated list of Game Cube Isos 

Man I just don’t care that Nintendo is shutting down servers. I own the games I want. I still play them when I want. It doesn’t bother me. 

I 100% get why it does for people and I don’t disagree with their reasonings or arguments but for me I just don’t really care that much. 

Edited by iStu X
7 minutes ago, nickmanx5 said:

minus the zelda hd remasters, xenoblade x and i think woolie world  everything else escaped wii u prison and its really only a matter of time for the zelda games.

I really want XCX to be played by more people.  I really hope that the Monolith will change their minds and realize that yes it can be done and just put it on Switch.  That or give me XCX2.  I'd rather people able to play XCX but if I can't get that give me XCX2.

7 minutes ago, Sonichuman said:

I really want XCX to be played by more people.  I really hope that the Monolith will change their minds and realize that yes it can be done and just put it on Switch.  That or give me XCX2.  I'd rather people able to play XCX but if I can't get that give me XCX2.

i wonder what the hold up is? just put that pad shit in a menu or is it something else?

i wonder what the hold up is? just put that pad shit in a menu or is it something else?

The last time Monolith said anything about the game was that they said it would be difficult to port the game because it'd be too expensive. 

https://www.gameinformer.com/2018/10/18/monolith-soft-says-a-xenoblade-chronicles-x-switch-port-would-be-too-expensive

This platform has a 2D Metroid game about the pass the 3 mill threshold that the franchise has yet to pass and it's gotten to this point faster than any game in the franchise has.  I really don't want to hear it now.  Please port this game onto the console and get your money back.

Edit: Also wanted to thrown this out there, if you have a Wii U and a physical copy of this game then I would suggest making sure you have the data packs that make the game load faster at some point before the servers go down.

Edited by Sonichuman
4 hours ago, HD-Man said:

I'm not saying that we gettin CVS3 but I do think this is yet another indication the two companies are on good terms again 👀

https://www.fightersgeneration.com/news1/kof-x-sf.htm

They also have a crossover with Dead or Alive

Tekken

Guilty Gear

Plus the WWWE, Gintama, etc. 

Edited by Hecatom
20 minutes ago, BornWinner said:

Could be nothing.

It is nothing. People go Pepe Silva conspiracy nut whenever anyone associated to Nintendo does anything even remotely. Like if they find out Doug Bowser farts they think a Mother 3 is getting localized

shits wild. Find something better to do with your time 

Edited by iStu X

I was going to get a physical copy of Horizon Zero Dawn 2 tomorrow, but Elsa and Sub-Zero are declaring their love for each other outside right now. So, it's digital for me.

Do any of you play games regularly on external storage? I have one game I don't play much on there, but am thinking of putting HZD2 on there. Is doing a lot of play on external dangerous at all?

1 hour ago, iStu X said:

It is nothing. People go Pepe Silva conspiracy nut whenever anyone associated to Nintendo does anything even remotely. Like if they find out Doug Bowser farts they think a Mother 3 is getting localized

He goes conspiracy nut? I guess I missed those tweets

2 hours ago, iStu X said:

Exactly... If Doug Bowser farts that just proves he has really been a Wario in disguise all along.