Stage Select

Video Game Discussion Thread vol. 2

Played through Zero Mission again this week, still holds up well.  I really appreciate how they tightened up the physics vs Super Metroid. My only real annoyance is how annoying the main theme gets by the time you get the gravity suit- it's almost as beaten to death as "Sinking Old Sanctuary" is by the the end of Circle of the Moon. Decided to continue the Metroid wave by firing up Dread yesterday- it's painful to hear how badly the ball was dropped with the music in this one. Still otherwise excellent, though. 

42 minutes ago, Camacho said:

Played through Zero Mission again this week, still holds up well.  I really appreciate how they tightened up the physics vs Super Metroid. My only real annoyance is how annoying the main theme gets by the time you get the gravity suit- it's almost as beaten to death as "Sinking Old Sanctuary" is by the the end of Circle of the Moon. Decided to continue the Metroid wave by firing up Dread yesterday- it's painful to hear how badly the ball was dropped with the music in this one. Still otherwise excellent, though. 

I like Dreads music honestly. It doesn't have a bunch of ear worms or anything but they fit the game really well and frankly I'd rather have that then listen to Magmoor Caverns AGAIN. 

my only real solid grip with Zero Mission is the 100%. It's set up so it has to be a "post game" event making is a back tracking slog, and that one tank with the blocks you have a 1 frame window to destroy....infuriating. 

Edited by RSG3

The amount of quality of life updates Square gave Star Ocean 2 is mind boggling. It feels and flows like a totally different game but still feels like you’re playing the original PSOne version. 

I just recruited Ashton. I don’t mind missing out on Opera and Ernest. I don’t really like either character. Plus I plan on recruiting Precis instead of Bowman as the former of the two works incredibly well with Ashton.

I’m also playing Rena’s route as I almost always played through Claude’s back in the day. 

Baldur's Gate--- still can't shake the addiction... I have now created a 4th character...this time it's a green-skinned Gnome dude I named "Gazoo"

(yep, inspired by this guy-->https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Great_Gazoo )

This is a warlock again but this time with the "Great Old One" patron... the other 2 I made have a "Fiend" patron.  This time he's a "regular" custom character instead of "Dark Urge".

2 hours ago, iStu X said:

The amount of quality of life updates Square gave Star Ocean 2 is mind boggling. It feels and flows like a totally different game but still feels like you’re playing the original PSOne version. 

I just recruited Ashton. I don’t mind missing out on Opera and Ernest. I don’t really like either character. Plus I plan on recruiting Precis instead of Bowman as the former of the two works incredibly well with Ashton.

I’m also playing Rena’s route as I almost always played through Claude’s back in the day. 

i was gonna buy star ocean 2nd...but when i saw the 50 dollar price tag i was like....mmmmm. nah. i'll wait for it to come down pricewise. its on my wishlist tho.

only star ocean i have played is TTEOT but not the others. i have the last hope in my steam library for over a year but havent played it yet.

but i know i will like 2nd story. 

i wonder if 2nd story lets u create custom made weapons like TTEOT

please god let them remake TTEOT one day

45 minutes ago, VirginDefiler said:

i was gonna buy star ocean 2nd...but when i saw the 50 dollar price tag i was like....mmmmm. nah. i'll wait for it to come down pricewise. its on my wishlist tho.

only star ocean i have played is TTEOT but not the others. i have the last hope in my steam library for over a year but havent played it yet.

but i know i will like 2nd story. 

i wonder if 2nd story lets u create custom made weapons like TTEOT

please god let them remake TTEOT one day

it’s worth the $50. I’m having a blast. 

Oh---I forgot that you get a permanent bonus effect for letting that sadist "Abdirak" whip you for a while in the goblin camp... haha I did it with this character just because I found it to be funny, but you get this nice bonus "Loviatar's Love" out of it....you have to put on a "performance" of your character crying out in pain.  The bonus is that when you are below 30% health, you gain +2 on attacks and saving throws.

...haha I got caught by this same dude while trying to steal that "ritual dagger" off the table in his room... it was just him in the room so I went on and killed him.  He had no chance...Astarion stabbed then did the vamp bite leaving the guy with just 1 hp, then I finished it with an Eldritch Blast... so I got that permanent bonus, that cool dagger and a little 20 xp for killing him after he foolishly tried confronting us about stealing the dagger.

...yeah, just murdered Halsin.  That fool had no chance; I had Gale cast "grease" which was next to a torch so it instantly caught him on fire, Shadowheart hit him with Guiding Bolt, I got him with Scorching Ray then put a Hex on him...then Astarion took a big chunk of health away with a sneak attack arrow, and one of the goblin's "pets" got the finishing swipe on him.

...oooh since I wasn't the one to get that last hit that killed him... I could cast "speak with the dead" on this corpse...

Edited by MillionX

Extra

Nintendo announces some of it's black friday deals and in the first time in forever....It's not just a Switch with MK8D bundle

https://www.nintendo.com/us/retail-offers/

That is to say that the Mario Kart bundle isn't not gonna be there...it's there it's just they're also offering a Smash Ult bundle to go a long side it.   Some of the game deals are not bad but only because their games barely drop in price.  The most surprising being that Fire Emblem Warriors  and Kirby Return to Dreamland Deluxe will be $30 off since both of those game came out this year and Xenoblade Chronicles 3 will be $20 off.

Actually thinking about it...that Super Mario Party bundle is actually pretty solid deal considering that 2 joy cons are 80$ MSRP so you get Super Mario Party at $20 bucks.

10 hours ago, Sonichuman said:

Extra

Nintendo announces some of it's black friday deals and in the first time in forever....It's not just a Switch with MK8D bundle

https://www.nintendo.com/us/retail-offers/

That is to say that the Mario Kart bundle isn't not gonna be there...it's there it's just they're also offering a Smash Ult bundle to go a long side it.   Some of the game deals are not bad but only because their games barely drop in price.  The most surprising being that Fire Emblem Warriors  and Kirby Return to Dreamland Deluxe will be $30 off since both of those game came out this year and Xenoblade Chronicles 3 will be $20 off.

Actually thinking about it...that Super Mario Party bundle is actually pretty solid deal considering that 2 joy cons are 80$ MSRP so you get Super Mario Party at $20 bucks.

Man, I really wish Nintendo hadn’t shit the bed with Mario strikers. $30 is still a really good deal for it though. 

that smash OLED bundle is going to sell like gang busters though. 

There some shakeups happening at the Escapist

From the sounds of things...sounds like corporate made a decision to just fire people and didn't think this choice would have as much of an impact on the people workong their and ended up inadvertantly killing their arguably biggest attraction to the website.

Edit:  To add to this...personally I don't care about Zero Punctuation.   I had stopped watching it for some time because at times while I found it was funny and sometimes had some good points, some started taking every thing that was said in those videos seriously and it got annoying.  All that said I don't wish for people to lose jobs especially when they're doing what their supposed to and having worked at a company where Corporate questionable at best for quite some years I definitely feel for those people who have had the big wigs pull the rug out from under them by people who aren't anywhere near the trenches.

Edited by Sonichuman
17 hours ago, RSG3 said:

Naw this is a good thing, that platform needs to fucking die. 

Elon is slowly killing it. Apparently the reason, Sony and MS have dropped it is because of change in rules where they would have to pay more for it to be available on consoles so they are just dropping it. I am surprised Nintendo hasn't done so yet but X/Twitter was baked in as the Miiverse substitute for Splatoon and it would probably cost more to replace it when they can just make a sequel on the Switch successor in two years and kill off support for 2&3 around then.

2 hours ago, Sonichuman said:

There some shakeups happening at the Escapist

Snip

The new owners demanded an extreme level of content output and when the writers said no they fired them. They miscalculated tho because it pissed off Yatzee and the rest of the studio and they all resigned. They say they are gonna launch their own independent platform. 

We are in an interesting work revolution across multiple industries and these CEOs are so out of touch they can't see it. They still think it's 20 years ago and it's not. Everyone's fed up with them and their exploitation. If I'm gonna be homeless and poor while working for you then I might as well be homeless and poor working for myself. 

And thus everyone left. Warms my cold dead heart. 

Edited by RSG3
1 hour ago, RSG3 said:

The new owners demanded an extreme level of content output and when the writers said no they fired them. They miscalculated tho because it pissed off Yatzee and the rest of the studio and they all resigned. They say they are gonna launch their own independent platform. 

We are in an interesting work revolution across multiple industries and these CEOs are so out of touch they can't see it. They still think it's 20 years ago and it's not. Everyone's fed up with them and their exploitation. If I'm gonna be homeless and poor while working for you then I might as well be homeless and poor working for myself. 

And thus everyone left. Warms my cold dead heart. 

Another episode of Fuck Around And Find Out? I think it's official now, there are enough episodes for syndication 🙃

Maaaaaan, me and my teammates were getting COOKED in Splatoon 3 Turf War last night. This player named strawberry was using the Tenta Brella and murdering us like a mob boss. In the base and everything. stawberry had 10 kills and 0 deaths and was probably gassing themselves up like Vegeta fighting semi-perfect Cell. We only had about 17% map coverage when that match was over. My sodium levels were so rising after that match. So much so that I ditched the Tri-Stinger and broke out the Rapid Blaster and Object Shredder just to deal with strawberry and that Tenta Brella. Homie was probably thinking it was gonna be free eats after that last match. I made sure they couldn't have that brella out for cover and took 'em out whenever I had the chance. Every time I splatted strawberry...

james franco GIF

Yeah, that ish was personal. We won, Bee T Dubs.