Stage Select

Video Game Discussion Thread vol. 2

Oh hell yeah, a "Castlevania" update for Dead Cells will definitely pull me right back into it.  It's amazing how much they've added to that game over the years... and a lot of it being just free patch/updates.

Diablo - there was something I had neglected about my Necromancer's Death Nova build....heh, so for a long time his overall effectiveness was slightly gimped from the true potential....now the character is even more ridiculously OP.  I've gone further in this season than in any other so far... having completed all challenges on both Switch and Playstation versions of the game, and with multiple characters.  On Switch I'm up to paragon level 930-something at this point, and recently beat GR 116.

..I checked the top of the seasonal leaderboards to see just how bad the cheating situation was out of curiosity....it's at least the first few hundred spots on the board.  You can easily tell the cheaters because it's possible to take a look at their gear, and that's where you see items that don't legitimately exist in the game, like multiple items with 3 gem-slots (even weapons and wrists or shoulder armors, etc...things that do not have 3 gem slots) and legendary gems equipped on everything.  I like being overpowered as hell but only within the normal parameters of what's possible in the game.... when you've gone that far in breaking the game's "rules" of what you can do, I don't get it....just doesn't seem like fun.

Giantbomb and Gamespot have been hit with layoffs.

As it goes, I can see more and more gaming sites being hit in the upcoming months.

Perhaps, this will be the year that Kotakus and Polygons of the world will be shut down.

Edit

It seems that of all studios M$ was targeting with layoffs, 343 was hit the hardest, which doesn't surprise me.

The studio has been incompetent in their handling of Halo, and this comes from someone who is not even a fan of the series.

Edited by Hecatom
51 minutes ago, HD-Man said:

Oh, fuck that optional Maven boss fight in GoW Ragnarok. Bitch killed me like 20 times before I barely won

I can't recall if she was hard for me.

Perhaps it was that you went either underleveled / non optimized equipment?

But if you "liked" that one, be prepared for some bullshit optional bosses the game has for you 😅

55 minutes ago, Hecatom said:

I can't recall if she was hard for me.

Perhaps it was that you went either underleveled / non optimized equipment?

But if you "liked" that one, be prepared for some bullshit optional bosses the game has for you 😅

Hell yea, i ran across my second bullshit optional boss, some green Beserker dude. He killed me about 10 times before I finally got him.  I accidentally ran into the first time, didnt even know a boss fight would come from observing a grave stone 

Just now, HD-Man said:

Hell yea, i ran across my second bullshit optional boss, some green Beserker dude. He killed me about 10 times before I finally got him.  I accidentally ran into the first time, didnt even know a boss fight would come from observing a grave stone 

Some of the berserkers are utter bullshit, but if you optimize your equipment you can work through them.

But there is one in particular that I consider highlights the problems in the battle system, since is a fight that is not designed for the game it's in at all.

I would put it on the same ballpark as Solaris Ascendant from Godfall as one of the most idiotic fights I had the displeasure to play through, since it never felt as a thing about skill, but as just brute forcing your way until you win.

Obviously, since the game has some loot/rpg mechanics embedded to it, some fights will depend mostly on how well equipped you are.

And I wouldn't be surprised that many of the berserkers are meant to be end game content, so facing them prior certain point of the game will feel unfair, but I am 100% sure that the fight I am talking about is an example of actual bad design.

I don't mind hard fights, but when the difficulty comes from bad design is a different thing.

3 hours ago, VirginDefiler said:

its true the characters and story aarc falls flat but he didnt address why.

namely time+budjet alotted. at least thats what u guys say.

i hope im spelling budjet right lol, doubt it.

Budget. 

XII had a tumultuous development. The board of directors argued either the games director about the main characters ages, thinking them too old to appeal to young people, so Penelo and Vaan where added. The stress of development also gave the director health issues and he had to how out and thebgame was finished up by I think it was Kitase-San. 

But yea game had a rough development. I still really like XII, it's packed soth content and the directors cuts with the jobs boards are way better experiences. 

18 hours ago, MillionX said:

Oh hell yeah, a "Castlevania" update for Dead Cells will definitely pull me right back into it.  It's amazing how much they've added to that game over the years... and a lot of it being just free patch/updates.

I think this Castlevania dlc might have finally convinced me to give this game a shot. It's been on my periphery for awhile now.

^oh yeah, if roguelikes/action platforming stuff is anything you like then Dead Cells is one of the top ranks of the genre, imo... definitely one of my favorite games of all time, as evident by my constant rambling about it ever since it was released.  I haven't played in a while though since I got hooked on Diablo once again this past season....and a few other games.

Portable DMC 5 via the Steam Deck is so damn cool... I played a bit of it again yesterday... it runs perfectly smooth and looks great, like there's no significant visual difference between playing it on this or on the XB1/PS4&5 systems.  

A quick reminder here of how it actually looks on that system:

Happy If You Say So GIF

So... out of curiosity I looked up Ganon from that CD-i Zelda game, and it's even more ridiculous than I thought it would be:

I was one of the few people that actually had the CD-i system but I didn't have this game... I had Burn Cycle (it was included), Voyeur, some tennis game and truly awful game called Kether.

Here's another one:

🤣

Edited by MillionX

Ohhhh hahah so the upcoming characters--- Jane Foster and Ironheart? (*really, who in the hell would want to play Ironheart in any game? I doubt it would be a lot, aside from the occasional "Hotep" stereotype.)  ...and Captain Marvel?---we know she would have been terribly nerfed to fit how the general gameplay/combat mechanics work.

Bruhhhh 🤣  Yeah, at this time it's a bit of a shame that Cyael has apparently moved on... the Suicide Squad is the current game he's been occasionally focused on for (future prime roast material) content purposes.

(**Edit---he's live right now, btw----and just mentioned he may do a video on it a bit later)

...good thing I never wasted money or hd space on that embarrassment of a game.  At first during the previews I was interested for a short time... then...everytime there was some new info about the game, it was always bad news.  My interest in playing it was shot down early, before it even released.  

It's a good thing that there was an alternative out there, for anyone who had the Switch, at least--- Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3 ended up being the better choice overall, with a roster that completely shits on the Avengers game, big time.

Edited by MillionX

I did not know about Cumbia Villera until watching/listening to Hecatom's video aaaand the only thing I can think of is "So that's what genre Robotnik's theme from AoStH is..."  Also OWA in Raggae made me laugh.

VGM Fridays!  Not all the concerts I went to at Magfest are fully up yet but I figured I'd put up the concerts that are up so far.  I choosing 1 song that's time stamped for each concert but it will have the full concert if you want to watch it.  Metroid Metal's concert has flashing lights just incase anyone is sensitive to that.

Spoiler

^Ending Credits from SM/Prelude Theme with the Samus, animal, and scientist cosplayers

^Metal Man

^Sonic 2...in damn near its entirety sans multiplayer stage music and the actual ending theme

^Dolphin Shoals.  The drummer was doing the most back there during this entire set.  Also they did do Metaknight's Revenge during this .set.  Also I had missed "Can You Feel the Sunshine" because of how long the line was to get in aaaand I gotta say I'm not feeling the guy who's singing it.

Normal contribution

On 1/20/2023 at 2:24 PM, MillionX said:

^oh yeah, if roguelikes/action platforming stuff is anything you like then Dead Cells is one of the top ranks of the genre, imo...

I'm actually surprised that type of game is so popular because the difficulty hearkens back to arcade style games where you'd have limited continues and if you got to a new stage and died, you had to start all over again. I've had Getsu Fumaden for a year or so and still haven't finished it.

12 minutes ago, DoctaMario said:

I'm actually surprised that type of game is so popular because the difficulty hearkens back to arcade style games where you'd have limited continues and if you got to a new stage and died, you had to start all over again. I've had Getsu Fumaden for a year or so and still haven't finished it.

Rogue lites let you carry over some of your progression so starting over doesn't sting as hard.

Oh yeah, we knew it was coming... one last vid from Cyael taking jabs at that now legendary disaster that is the Avengers game (with some brief hits to other games as well):

ha, this game was ridiculous in so many ways... particularly the terribly disappointing choices for the roster.  If I recall, Kate Bishop was the first extra character added... (*which spawned a parade of "L"s in the live chat when she was revealed on their developer stream 🤣)

Apparently there's some people mad at some changes to NoA localizers for changing some of the script for Fire Emblem Engage, buuuuut the reason why this change was made was because Anna is 11 in the game.

There are some that seem to be upset that the "yuri" was removed don't seem to understand that the reason it was changed was because they weren't trying to leave the pedo in.