Stage Select

Video Game Discussion Thread vol. 2

So, after finishing Forspoken, leaving aside the story dialogue and performance issues, 2 things that baffles me are

A) Why is there only 1 city in the whole game?

Not only that, there is not a single npc roaming around outside the only city with npc's, not friendly animals nothing.

Add that there isn't much incentive on engaging in combat since enemies give you low exp compared to collecting the crystals lying around the map.

So you end just traversing the world and avoiding enemies most of the time.

B) Why the game thought it was a good idea to unlock the whole map basically after you finish the campaign.

This ties with something that I noticed.

The game design is at odd with each element of the game at multiple times.

There are some interesting ideas but are either fighting other elements of the game, be by design choices or performance/technical/implementation issues or are held hostages by the structure of the game.

The game feels like it wants to be more like a collectaton game than an action 3rd person game.

The problem is that the map is not interesting, it lacks distinctive features, and is waaaaay big this because it wants to justify the parkour mechanics.

I think I saw a review saying that at times it feels proceduraly generated, and I agree.

Also, not a single npc is memorable.

I already forgot them lol.

But it looks like mario is doing better in 3 of those pictures.  I think what that guy is mistaking for him losing is just him trying real hard and winning...cept in that one picture.

Anyhow, that Hi-Fi Rush looks dope.  Its on that xbox pc shit so I'll check it out since I have it for the rest of the month.  Ima let it go again though so I can check out Atomic Heart.

Something I forgot to add regarding Forespoken

The game is bad.

BUT

There is some interesting stuff that can be fun for some people.

It is not without some merits, but I am sure by this point that the engine side of the game didn't have enough resources allocated to it to fix any potential problem to optimize it and make it work.

The game side also feels like it got its budget shafted midway development, but the technical issues tell a story of its own.

Like if this was a huge experiment trying to make the investment on Luminous work, but without allocating more money into the project.

This is mostly an impression I get as a software engineer and how the game feels.

It reminds me of projects I have worked in the past for companies, where you can tell that at some point the project became and afterthought and whatever was released was mostly to save face with the money people (like a project I just finished for Walmart Mexio & Central America)

It is indeed unfortunate.

Because Like Sonichuman said, I really wanted this game to be good.

I like parkour in games, and I do like Isekai mangas and animes (not all of course) so the concept interested me, this had a lot of potential, but both in history and characters; and gameplay and technical standpoint the game feels like it was ultimately thrown to the slaughterhouse to die once the project was deemed unsalvageable.

Edit

Another thing that makes the whole game baffling is that for an Isekai, it makes no sense.

Frey had a miserable life on earth, but as soon as she gets to Althea, all what she wants to do is to come back here, despite the game also making it clear that she is having a blast on Althea.

Is dumb as fuck.

Edited by Hecatom

Hello guys!  I am not an active member of this thread but I thought this would be the place to post this.  I have been working on a NES action-adventure game for the past 4 years.  The game is 100% finished and I am going to be doing a Kickstarter campaign to be able to release physical cartridge's.  If this is something you may be interested in please feel free to take 2 minutes and check a small trailer I put together and to get notify on the Kickstarter Pre-launch page for when the campaign gets launch.  I'll probably make another write up as  the date get closer to launch.  I been working very hard on this and I would appreciate if you guys would leave me honest feedback. 

Kickstarter Pre-launch: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/savethekuin/save-the-kuin-a-brand-new-game-for-the-nes

Trailer: 

19 minutes ago, Darc_Requiem said:

I make typos all the time man. At this point, I've accepted it. If I notice later on, usually when someone quotes or reacts to my post, I fix it.

Oh yea for sure. Even with my lenses in I typo constantly. I fix it it when I notice. 

3 hours ago, RSG3 said:

Maybe this is a hot take, I'm not sure, but I wouldn't include Nier Automata in the Character Action department, it leans far far too heavily on its RPG and Chip mechanics to qualify, imo. 

You are right but the line between action RPG and stylish action has gotten thinner over the years. I mean, Automata aside look at Astral Chain, the recent Assassin's Creed games or the upcoming FFXVI. Where does the difference lie between a open world game with NPCs and side quests and RPG with real time action combat?

3 minutes ago, Wellman said:

You are right but the line between action RPG and stylish action has gotten thinner over the years. I mean, Automata aside look at Astral Chain, the recent Assassin's Creed games or the upcoming FFXVI. Where does the difference lie between a open world game with NPCs and side quests and RPG with real time action combat?

With your ability to beat the game on skill alone and not need the rely on stats. 

That's my personal position on the matter. Even that's murky tho since a lot of action RPGs can be beat without lvling up so 🤷 

7 hours ago, RSG3 said:

Maybe this is a hot take, I'm not sure, but I wouldn't include Nier Automata in the Character Action department, it leans far far too heavily on its RPG and Chip mechanics to qualify, imo. 

er. i gues. i thought you guys were gonna knitpick me putting killer is dead on my list since its combo creation isnt no where as deep as the others. tho i did manage to do a few things combo creationwise while i played. but nier feels very liberal regarding combo creation for a action rpg. 

but i put killer on the list since its action is very hype and has a godlike story/art direction. 

and as for being able to beat a game without lvling up but using skill alone. idk man, i cant imagine beating dmc3 or ninja gaiden without using the skills/powers u gain while playing thru story. 

26 minutes ago, Sonichuman said:

Naughty Dog says they are in no hurry to make another Uncharted, focusing on the Last of Us multiplayer game

https://www.ign.com/articles/naughty-dog-uncharted-neil-druckmann

This sounds good an all until you remember that that one of the reason why the multiplayer has not launched yet (despite being originally part of TLOU2 mind you) is that the leadership of Druckmann has been so atrocious to the studio that not only they shooed away all the old school talent, but also has made the name ND poison for anyone seeking jobs in the industry.

They have a high turnover of new staff that comes and leaves, to the point they try to mitigate it by hiring people outside the industry (like animators from the movie industry), but in turn this also creates problems because the principles for each field are different and make the progress much, much slower.

That new video about Redfall sparked so much hype...  with one of the reveals being 2 new characters to be added as later dlc... I'm already wondering what their powers and skill-tree will be.  

That's usually the most interesting dlc addition to me... even when it's just 1 new character at a time being added....though of course I prefer the good ol' days when new characters were just "unlocks" for accomplishing things in the game, like "beat the game on Insane difficulty to unlock _____."

This reminds me of another disappointing thing with Borderlands 3... for some silly ass reason they chose to just not add any new characters with that one.  With the expectation being in place from part 2 and Pre-Sequel, that was just guaranteed to disappoint the fans.  I often wonder if it was due to a limitation of budget/time... or plain old laziness.  Probably it was a bit of both, but that's pathetic if it really is more due to laziness and apathy.

Sorry, not to spam on this thread but I forgot to post the demo for the game.  https://yukahugames.weebly.com/download.html  

If anyone is interested in giving it a try on their favorite emulator or flashcart.

If anyone knows of good venues to promote the game besides the standard social media, feel free to message me.  It would be greatly appreciated.  We are a 2 man team and been working for years on this project and it seems that it could be fun for people to play.  So I have been working extra hard as I have so much riding into this. 

Peace

7 hours ago, LuvMyCap said:

Sorry, not to spam on this thread but I forgot to post the demo for the game.  https://yukahugames.weebly.com/download.html  

If anyone is interested in giving it a try on their favorite emulator or flashcart.

If anyone knows of good venues to promote the game besides the standard social media, feel free to message me.  It would be greatly appreciated.  We are a 2 man team and been working for years on this project and it seems that it could be fun for people to play.  So I have been working extra hard as I have so much riding into this. 

Peace

I haven't played on emulators on my comp in awhile otherwise I'd give it a shot.