Stage Select

Video Game Discussion Thread vol. 2

There are some that seem to be upset that the "yuri" was removed don't seem to understand that the reason it was changed was because they weren't trying to leave the pedo in.

@Sonichuman not letting me quote you directly for some reason. Anyway

This might be cynical of me but I have a feeling many of these guys aren't upset the Yuri was removed but that her age was changed on top of the Yuri Time go bye bye. Why is an 11 year even engaged in this in Japan, much less here. 

Japan, and by extension the American Anime and gaming spheres have a bit of a fucking pedophile problem and we seem fit to ignore it instead of actually address it (not you, just in general." 

@TheInfernomanJust saw your post in the tweet chain. Bro Maaaaaaaaaaaad suspect as fuck. 

Edited by RSG3

Started Kena Bridge of Spirits last night and while the game does not break any new ground at all and the combat feels somewhat generic, the game has such a fantastic art style and charm to it that I'm really enjoying it.  And the music/sound in the game is just top notch.  I grabbed it for like $18 around black friday and it's definitely worth it.

3 hours ago, RSG3 said:

Japan, and by extension the American Anime and gaming spheres have a bit of a fucking pedophile problem and we seem fit to ignore it instead of actually address it

Pretty much the sole reason I stopped watching anime. Underage characters are becoming more and more sexualized to the point it just made me uncomfortable even watching it. 

I still watch anime now-and-again but I’m extremely, extremely picky about the ones I’ll consider now. 

36 minutes ago, Chadouken said:

When I say it took me three tries, I mean it took me three two-hour sessions over the course of three nights, running it over and over and over again 😂 Shit was fucking hard.

Lmao your fight sounds incredibly more difficult with this game's occasionally wonky lock on camera, gotta be a special kind of hell beating 3 dudes at once, cuz the combat systems gets kinda exposed with multiple enemies. Lot of cheap offscreen projectile deaths and lock on simply losing the enemies that move fast

But i was struggling with ONE dude, cut yourself some slack, u did good. I may avoid that fight entirely for my sanity lol

9 hours ago, RSG3 said:

This might be cynical of me but I have a feeling many of these guys aren't upset the Yuri was removed but that her age was changed on top of the Yuri Time go bye bye. Why is an 11 year even engaged in this in Japan, much less here. 

Japan, and by extension the American Anime and gaming spheres have a bit of a fucking pedophile problem and we seem fit to ignore it instead of actually address it (not you, just in general." 

@TheInfernomanJust saw your post in the tweet chain. Bro Maaaaaaaaaaaad suspect as fuck. 

which again makes me question the fact that Nintendo won't give us Advance Wars because of the Ukraine war BUUUUT this idea of romancing an 11 years old (heck the way it's worded it's grooming) is totally ok? Actually this isn't the first time FE had...questionable dialogue is it? 

I know peeps say stuff like "it doesn't matter, it's fiction" BUUUUT that is just bad optics. I'm not a purist for translations because some stuff in the wolrd of manga/anime/games doesn't translate well so some liberties need to be taken. Some of these peeps LOVE to dance around the main issue though:

BRUV! Naw I'm done with this. 

11 hours ago, RSG3 said:

There were a few tweets in there that had to repeatedly point out the reason for the change wasn't due to the Yuri but because of her age but I don't doubt this at all because there are definitely some sus responses to this...as Infernoman put up.

Been playing Bayo 3 on and off when I can and I just got control of Viola and she definitely takes some time to get used to.  You really have to like...flush your system out of Bayo tendences if you're going to even try to enjoy playing her but once I started getting the hang of it I find her pretty fun!  Also just found out that you can actually earn some of the previous weapons from prior games since I just earned the Whip Alruna which now has me curious how some of the other previous weapons work using Bayo 3's or what demons are attached to them in the case of Bayo 1 if any of those are available.   Also I see why people are not feeling the Train....it's an interesting concept but really don't know how to make that weapon work right now.

2 hours ago, Sonichuman said:

Been playing Bayo 3 on and off when I can and I just got control of Viola and she definitely takes some time to get used to.  You really have to like...flush your system out of Bayo tendences if you're going to even try to enjoy playing her but once I started getting the hang of it I find her pretty fun!  Also just found out that you can actually earn some of the previous weapons from prior games since I just earned the Whip Alruna which now has me curious how some of the other previous weapons work using Bayo 3's or what demons are attached to them in the case of Bayo 1 if any of those are available.   Also I see why people are not feeling the Train....it's an interesting concept but really don't know how to make that weapon work right now.

Just a tip, Violas Control Option D (I believe) swaps her R and RT buttons and just those two if you want Violas WT button in the same spot as Bayonettas. 

Yong is slightly late on this but of course he did a video on the Stadia finally being gone now:

...and I just found the Stadia subreddit; it has 114k users in there... oh yes this should be a fun read.

**edit---ah, it's disappointing... at least currently; I should check the older threads, but right now most are just talking about how to setup their Stadia controllers to work with PC and consoles (aka... real gaming systems that make logical sense from the perspective of the consumer.)

Edited by MillionX
9 hours ago, Sonichuman said:

Viola is a great character. She doesnt have a lot in terms of weapons but there's so much you can do with her especially once you unlock all her moves. She has some of DMC3 Dante's moves like Skystar (the air dash) and the blade throwing moves and her gameplan of getting witch time off parry is really a cool mechanic. 

Alruna is a beast here like it was in 2. That's pretty much my main weapon and since I got it, I haven't put it down lol. The train weapon is weird but I can imagine if you're good with it, you can clear our a room pretty quick. There are so many weapon options though in this game though, it's cool how much they put in.

1 hour ago, DoctaMario said:

Viola is a great character. She doesnt have a lot in terms of weapons but there's so much you can do with her especially once you unlock all her moves. She has some of DMC3 Dante's moves like Skystar (the air dash) and the blade throwing moves and her gameplan of getting witch time off parry is really a cool mechanic. 

Alruna is a beast here like it was in 2. That's pretty much my main weapon and since I got it, I haven't put it down lol. The train weapon is weird but I can imagine if you're good with it, you can clear our a room pretty quick. There are so many weapon options though in this game though, it's cool how much they put in.

I've really been enjoying this game and just taking my time with it and getting a feel for what the design was for the game.  I think Platinum did a pretty good job on this game even with the limitations they clearly had and the scaleback from what they were trying to do on it.  Even with the slower exploratory like areas that are for the most part optional (not when you're trying to 100% of course).

Episode 2 of TLoU  is another hit. I actually really like some of the changes from the game, especially the whole spores issue .

Spoiler

In the extras after the episode it is explained how spores can make sense in a videogame context, but trying to recreate that would be problematic because in reality, spores wouldn't stay contained in an area. They'd be fucking everywhere. I dig the whole connected tendrils phenomenon, because that checks out with how some fungal networks work, and it adds a different type of tension to the show. The changes to Tess's death scene provided a good opportunity to showcase the interconnectivity by having a horde chase them instead of the military. I'm good with all that.

17 hours ago, HD-Man said:

Yall beaten Beserkers on hard mode and I'm gettin washed on normal. 😭😭

I just beat my 2nd beserker after about 3 or 4 tries. I guess I was over leveled cuz this fight wasn't nearly as bad as my first encounter 

I would advise you to leave the berserkers for when you are near the end, or after you finish the campaign, since you can't really know what level you require until you fight them for the 1st time.

If you still want to beat them, I recommend a poison build for them, since poison not only weakens them over time, but also reduce the stats and and reduce their levels.

Also is a good idea to have ways to apply bifrost to your opponents.

7 hours ago, MillionX said:

**edit---ah, it's disappointing... at least currently; I should check the older threads, but right now most are just talking about how to setup their Stadia controllers to work with PC and consoles (aka... real gaming systems that make logical sense from the perspective of the consumer.)

Google didn't leave those guys high and dry. They made sure that their controllers didn't become paperweights, and refund people for hardware and games purchased directly from the Google store. It's quite commandable what Google did with this shut down.

Off

It seems that the Isekai game from SE is not being well received

https://www.forbes.com/sites/paultassi/2023/01/23/forspoken-ps5-reviews-are-here-and-they-are-bad/?sh=6d44cfcfe87c

‘Forspoken’ PS5 Reviews Are Here, And They Are Bad

As I said previously, red flags have been going up about Square Enix’s Forspoken left and right as of late. The demo was not terribly well-received and needed its own patch before release. The PC specs of the game were ludicrous. The dialogue in the trailers felt cringe-worthy.

But the idea was that perhaps the final product would surprise us, and at the very least, the cool spellcasting and creative world might overcome any issues. Turns out that is…not the case. Reviews are spilling in for Forspoken and they are pretty bad. And that’s even with Square Enix trying to do review score damage control.

As I write this, Forspoken currently has a 68 on OpenCritic with only 32% of critics recommending it. It has a 66 on Metacritic. In the context of other video game releases, these are bad scores, bad aggregates. These are numbers no studio wants to see in an industry where 90+ is a potential GOTY, 85+ is enough to land your team potential bonuses and 75+ is considered “pretty good.” If you’re landing in the 60s in these aggregates, that’s…a bad sign. Here, Forspoken’s 66 is only 5 points above 2022’s Saints Row reboot at a 61, widely thought to be one of the biggest misses of last year.

960x0.jpg?format=jpg&width=960

In this case, this is all even worse because of two key factors. Square Enix pulled the old “limited digital codes” trick and specifically avoided giving codes to many outlets. On top of that, with everyone wondering if this game is going to be badly optimized on PC due to the insane recommended specs Square Enix released, there are zero reviews of PC copies, all of this is on PS5. So it’s entirely possible these scores may have been even worse if more outlets got copies and PC codes actually went out.

As for major outlets, it’s pretty bleak:

• IGN (6/10) – “Forspoken’s flashy combat and parkour can be fun, but they aren’t enough to make its cliche story and barebones open world very interesting to explore.”
  • GameSpot (5/10) – “Forspoken is visually stimulating and a musical delight, but boring combat, poor characterization, and loose movement mechanics make for a mediocre experience.”
  • GamesRadar (5/10) – “Forspoken shines brightest when its protagonist is dipping, ducking, and diving along the generally striking world of Athia while casting a variety of spells, but the standard fish-out-of-water fantasy story of Frey only subtracts from the experience.”

I’m a bit surprised one of the more positive mainstream reviews is from Gene Park at The Washington Post, who gave it an 8/10:

“Forspoken doesn’t do anything new for the open-world genre of games, but it does offer just enough to distinguish itself, mostly thanks to Frey and her magic spells, and a story that’s able to stick the landing. Or to translate this to Whedonspeak, “Yep, she really did just do that!"

In general, the complaints are about the dialogue (where there’s actually a “less banter” setting in options to make it less annoying) and the blandness of the open world. Generally the spellcasting seems to be a highlight, as I figured it might be from the demo, but it’s not enough to offset the other issues.

This is bad for both Square Enix, and for PlayStation, who touted this as one of its major console exclusives this year. And we should now brace ourselves to figure out how exactly this performs on PC with those crazy recommended specs, which we will apparently not know until the game is literally for sale in the wild tomorrow. I would absolutely wait for the Digital Foundry review before buying it there.

Update: Scores have risen slightly to a 69 on Metacritic and a 70 on OpenCritic.

Also, Polygon as usual being stupid

18 hours ago, Sonichuman said:

problem with viola is she apparently too weak compared to bayo. theres no reason to choose her over bayo.

hence the buff patch.

but it makes me wonder if the buff viola patch will also nerf certain bayo op moves. namely the frog song and the clock tower mecha which is hella broken. the mech has too much hit stun. any enemy gets stun locked into oblivion.

as for the train...ive seen peeps do a cool vertical spiral launcher with it. where the train spirals up taking the enemy with it.

Edited by VirginDefiler

One of the things that is the most annoying about Forspoken, besides the chattiness of the bracelet and the marvel lame ass dialogue, is that they kill any point of the exploration aspect of the game with the system they have in place.

You not only get pointers for everything in the map once you uncover it, but also you can tell exactly what reward/stuff you will find in each place.

Also, this game has some of the weirdest performance/graphic issues, at times it looks nice, almost like the trailer which really picked my interest when it was announced, but at many other times it looks way worse than games that came out on day 1 during the launch days of the ps4 and xbone.

No joke, there are times that the textures and lights look so flat like if it was glitching out.

Also, dunno how, but they managed to make Frey like if it is not using Ella Balinska's face with how rough the graphics are.

At times it feels like I am watching Not Keanu Reeves on Matix PON, a stand in and not the actress she is suposed to be. 🤣

Also the game is on the short side.

8 hours if you are just playing through it without focusing on the side content.

A friend of mine who we share accounts bought it so I have been testing the game, since we both were interested on it.

I think that one of the major problems that the game has that makes people say that is cringe worthy/the dialogue is cringe is that it falls under a major trapping that many writers are falling nowdays, and is that a character needs to be "relatable".

This limits so much the potential of the characters because they always end feeling mundane.

A good writer seeks for the characters to be fascinating, interesting; At first glance, it seems like the same goal by a different name, but believe me is a difference that really matters and it shows.

Just look at Homelander and Butcher for example, both characters would be truly awful to be around, but their characteristics make them interesting to watch, and at times, relate to in certain circumstances.
If the goal would be to make them relatable instead, I can bet you all that they wouldn't be as near as interesting as they are, since they will be limited in what can be explored with them and what situations you can put them, since you can no longer take the risk without alienating the audience who the char is designed to relate to.

My wife and I got caught up on the second episode of TLoU and they're doing such a good job adapting this game.  I'm really enjoying how their giving small snippets around how the infection started.  That whole scene with the scientist gave such a sinking feeling.  The clickers were done perfectly.  I'm actually pretty excited to see if this show can keep it up!

1 hour ago, Sonichuman said:

My wife and I got caught up on the second episode of TLoU and they're doing such a good job adapting this game.  I'm really enjoying how their giving small snippets around how the infection started.  That whole scene with the scientist gave such a sinking feeling.  The clickers were done perfectly.  I'm actually pretty excited to see if this show can keep it up!

They said it started in a flour mill in Indonesia. Peeps are talking about how Joel kept parrying flour in the first episode. No pancakes, declined biscuits from the neighbors, forgot to pick up a cake. I wonder if there's a connection.