Stage Select

The SF6 Thread: Akuma Incoming!

It's highly unlikely a rashid will make it anywhere near top 8s anyway, just the usual twitter hype. Will probably destroy the odd top player in pools, but that'll be it. 

Plus all the Pros that played the crack ( which lets face it, is probably all of them) have such a massive head start. 

The only way I see a Rashid making a dent is if he plays similar to his SF5 version and a Rashid main gels with him. 

I think Rashid's strengths will also depend on how well he ends up playing SF6. He played SFV really well, but for SF6 will his Drive Rush be Juri/Dee Jay stupid? Will he have a throw loop? How will he fare when Burnt out/ will he have checkmate situations when he has burnt out his opponents, etc.

I also wonder if he'll have an invincible DP. I know EX Spinning Mixer was invincible in SFV but they also took away Kimberly's because I feel like they wanted her to have that weakness with her other tools. I feel like that might be the same for Rash

4 hours ago, Jocelot said:

I think Rashid's strengths will also depend on how well he ends up playing SF6. He played SFV really well, but for SF6 will his Drive Rush be Juri/Dee Jay stupid? Will he have a throw loop? How will he fare when Burnt out/ will he have checkmate situations when he has burnt out his opponents, etc.

I also wonder if he'll have an invincible DP. I know EX Spinning Mixer was invincible in SFV but they also took away Kimberly's because I feel like they wanted her to have that weakness with her other tools. I feel like that might be the same for Rash

I'd almost guarantee he will have one, but it'll be blanka speed, like 7 frame start up etc. 

On 6/25/2023 at 10:46 AM, Sonero said:

Is platinum in this game like Bronze in SF5?

Some of the people I run into are kinda eh....doesn't feel like they should be that close to master. 

☝️ 

Ultra silver, but yeah.

I think it's a drastically better spread for ranks than SFV.  A third of the playerbase clustered on the very first rank isn't a good look, and must be frustrating for those on the "FGs are too hard" train.

I'm sure after six months many of the bottom ranks will be as empty as the lowest floors of Strive tower, but that's frankly a better problem to have. 

Its kind of interesting because in order to get them closer to the rank they should be on...they would have to go on a lot of massive losing streaks.

not sure how that would works a player experience situation. Game tells you that you're at certain rank, then it proceeds to place you with people whooping your ass left and right.

😂

4 hours ago, Sonero said:

Its kind of interesting because in order to get them closer to the rank they should be on...they would have to go on a lot of massive losing streaks

No no, that's the thing. They ARE on the rank they should be on, Capcom is just playing a shell game with the labels for better feels.

Yes it means that when someone says they're Plat in SF we will forever have to ask which SF game cause the only similarity between sfv plat and SF6 plat is the nickname. 

I mean unless you're some kind of word purist where "Platinum" should indicate a certain skill level across games and or franchises. 

But even so I think SF6 is closer to most fpses on certain labels for certain numbers? Especially since they added Iron.

55 minutes ago, Doctrine_Dark said:

My situational awareness has improved a good bit, though I still find a way to burn myself at the worst possible times. That's something I gotta get in order.

You may have to teach me. I'm still having a bitch of a time dealing with dudes playing in the shittiest way because the game is designed to let certain bad play be good in this one.

I still don't know how the fuck Juri is the one with the +2 St.MP.

😡

3 hours ago, elliephil said:

Platinum really is the new Silver LOL

Look at that range though.  Platinum 1 is considered Ultra Silver in SFV and Platinum 5 is considered Ultra Plat.  The difference between an Ultra Silver and Ultra Plat player in V is absolutely massive, and all these players are 'Platinum' in SF6.  Kinda crazy.  

Edited by HeavensCloud
1 hour ago, HeavensCloud said:

Look at that range though.  Platinum 1 is considered Ultra Silver in SFV and Platinum 5 is considered Ultra Plat.  The difference between an Ultra Silver and Ultra Plat player in V is absolutely massive, and all these players are 'Platinum' in SF6.  Kinda crazy.  

I think it all comes down to the placement matches and the generous amount of points you get for win streaks, which stops at platinum. 

And it shows because once the sf6 chart gets to around plat 3-4 it almost perfectly syncs up with sfv.

4 hours ago, HeavensCloud said:

Maybe, but if the playerbase becomes the usual bell curve then that's probably where a large percent of players will be living.

3 hours ago, mykka said:

I went back to see how SFV's sales were at the beginning:

Feb 2016 - Mar 2016 (1.4m)
Apr 2016 - Jun 2016 (1.4m)
Jul 2016 - Sep 2016 (1.4m)
Oct 2016 - Dec 2016 (1.5m)
Jan 2017 - Mar 2017 (1.6m)
Apr 2017 - Jun 2017 (1.7m)
Jul 2017 - Sep 2017 (1.9m)

Definitely took its time

It took a lot of years, putting the game in a lot of sales, the release of arcade edition and champion edition, and putting those on sales as well for the game to finally get to the numbers they expeted for its 6 months.

IIRC, it was almost 5 years for get to what Tekken and DBFZ did in 6 months.

SFV initial release really put a dent on the series for a good amount of time.

I know I'm a bit late but I watched that Problem X vs. iDom match from the Redbull thing the other day. I know people say Lily is bad and whatnot and I can see why she would be on paper, but I think that 5-0 (!) was a very good demonstration as to why on paper and in practice is sometimes a big difference. The fact that she can consistently put you into a 50:50 from full screen away without using meter is extremely powerful. 

37 minutes ago, delete_me said:

I know I'm a bit late but I watched that Problem X vs. iDom match from the Redbull thing the other day. I know people say Lily is bad and whatnot and I can see why she would be on paper, but I think that 5-0 (!) was a very good demonstration as to why on paper and in practice is sometimes a big difference. The fact that she can consistently put you into a 50:50 from full screen away without using meter is extremely powerful. 

Yeah, her gameplan is simple but effective.  She can fly in constantly get plus frames and then you're stuck in a 50/50.  Even if you spend 2 bars to get her off she can just full screen windstock again and it's a wash.   She definitely has some terrible matchups where condor spire is probably useless, but if your character doesn't have good ways of dealing with it, it's going to be a pain.  

Yeah, it's a very matchup-dependent strategy and toolset-strength. I'm kind of glad iDom struggled as much because I think Lily's pretty tough for Manon but everyone on the web kept saying she's bad so I was under the impression I was missing some crucial matchup info. But there's really not a lot Manon can do to either stop her from charging her Wind-Buff or dealing with powered-up Condor Spire (outside of Drive Reversal, which ultimately makes her lose the meter race).

That said, Lily has some abysmal matchups, too. I didn't play her for that long, but JP seemed like an absolute nightmare as he can both stop condor spire and prevent her from applying the buff. He's basically cutting off her arms and her feet just by existing. Outside of YOLO Condor Dive I don't know what Lily is supposed to do in that matchup.

Edited by delete_me
1 hour ago, delete_me said:

That said, Lily has some abysmal matchups, too. I didn't play her for that long, but JP seemed like an absolute nightmare as he can both stop condor spire and prevent her from applying the buff. He's basically cutting off her arms and her feet just by existing. Outside of YOLO Condor Dive I don't know what Lily is supposed to do in that matchup.

Marisa is awful for Lily too. She has no reversal so Marisa doesn't have to respect her at all unless she's willing to use super.

9 hours ago, delete_me said:

More than that, I think that can be seen as that at times, what people consider to be right on paper doesn't have the full picture and needs to be re evaluated.

After all, we are at the start of the life of the game, and we don't have the full picture, so we are going with assumptions of what we have info at the time, and this can be incomplete.

What we assume on paper is not set in stone and can be reevaluated and adjusted with new info based on matchup experience.

In fact, something that I don't like about how tiers are done now days is that is based of assumptions rather than on matchup charts like back in the day.

We used to go with hard fact results charts to create our tier lists, but now we are based more on observations that at times can be very subjective based on perceived weakness of the characters in a consensus way.

Yeah it was still a matter of interpretation, and it could be based on incomplete data, so there could be flikes, but it was more reliable than going with just a consensus based of what a few players thought.

All things considered,

Still prefer the way the tower worked in Strive as a "ranked system " (and that wasn't really trying to be ranked) than just sitting around in training mode in Strive. Think my mentality going into the games is better when I'm actively looking for a match than just hoping for a thing to ping.

In general that portion of playing this game is way less personal and interactive. Think I'll try to get cammy to Master and then I'll just hang out in the battle hubs after that. That just has a much funner environment to it.

9 minutes ago, elliephil said:

If sfv ranked taught us anything, diamond will inevitably become the new platinum which makes you wonder how many players in Master are really that good.

I'm sure they'll add additional ranks at the top like they did with SFV. I'd be surprised if Grandmaster and Warlord don't show up after things settle a bit.

On 7/5/2023 at 1:16 PM, Maravilla said:

Yea but I'd rather have something 100% consistent than 80% optimal. The last thing you want is to try to close out a round and get a raw dash instead of a drive rush cancel. Also for the shortcut you need to reset to neutral to even begin it. But I'm definitely a scrub and most likely don't understand the mechanics as good as everyone else here. 

Saw this video today and I had no idea this was happening I don't pay enough attention to meters, but this seems like a good reason to use the shortcut instead of holding parry