Stage Select

The SF6 Thread: Akuma Incoming!

Man hopped on after not playing for a couple days gained quite a bit then started losing but even without that I have a lack of motivation with this game.  

Some shit with this game just puts a bad taste in in my mouth. I’m not gonna bash it and definitely not gonna claim sfv was better but idk i just ain’t feeling it that much, there’s not a character I’m interested in that much aesthetics or gameplay wise.  

maybe gonna look into other characters I made it to Diamond  2 with blanka but maybe he just doesn’t work for me

how’s everybody else doing so far?

1 hour ago, Illwill88 said:

Man hopped on after not playing for a couple days gained quite a bit then started losing but even without that I have a lack of motivation with this game.  

Some shit with this game just puts a bad taste in in my mouth. I’m not gonna bash it and definitely not gonna claim sfv was better but idk i just ain’t feeling it that much, there’s not a character I’m interested in that much aesthetics or gameplay wise.  

maybe gonna look into other characters I made it to Diamond  2 with blanka but maybe he just doesn’t work for me

I have a few minor gripes but think the game is great.  I don't like to keep comparing it to SFV but I just feel it's so so much better.   Depending on how the later seasons develop this might end up being my favourite SF, even better than IV. 

lol mfs burning themselves out is hilarious. Yeah you hit me with a Twitter combo but you’re about to block a dozen st.mp frame traps in a row. Manon’s st.mp is +3 on block in burn out and moves forward…it’s not a real block infinite but it’s strong enough that is used it steal rounds. 

It’s like Laura’s old s.mk ghetto blockstrings and it’s just as fun to troll them with lmao. I’m not even mad when I eat a level 3 super cause I’m spamming.

The amount of players who will do literally anything but walk across the stage is insane. The worst was a Marisa player who was almost mindlessly rotating between jump in, drive rush>button, and raw specials. Not going to call SF6 scrubby but I definitely feel like it’s really easy for new players to pick up bad habits. 

Also I’m sitting at 313 total matches and so far have not fought Lily even once 😅

Edited by Vhozite
2 hours ago, HeavensCloud said:

That explains Jamie's level 1 super and breakdance randomly coming out while trying to execute crosscut DP's.

Dude I’ve lost probably 4 rounds this weekend getting raw SA2 just trying to move back and forth before a slide or overhead. It’s so frustrating losing most of your super meter and eating a full combo punish just because the shortcuts are hyper loose. Stuff like this is the exact reason why I don’t like playing characters with lots of input overlap it’s annoying to deal with when shortcuts are too lenient.

Funny enough tho I actually won a round because I got accidental SA2 right as the other guy jumped in on me. He was maybe 10% into his jump and I “reacted” with super art wouldn’t be surprised if bro reported me lol.

On 7/15/2023 at 8:15 PM, Illwill88 said:

If they would just wholesale replace the input reader with the one from 3s that would be great.

And add damage scaling to DI combos. I'm fine with it being an alternative to the lowly jab combo to get out of sticky situations, but fishing for a DI just to get a full damage combo aint it.

I do like the game. Not knowing whom to main is weirdly freeing.

---

Today I took Ken into ranked. Can someone explain why he's top tier despite all his specials being punishable on block? 

9 hours ago, Daemos said:

So these guys can open up the game and discover nuggets like this but they still haven't datamined the game for clues for future dlc?

Likely the dev team already think that a separate a internal version, probably they had separate version for testing each dlc unlike before.

Its not even gonna cost them other than having separate workstation for the same copies. they should had done that before in SFV

1 hour ago, Pair of Rooks said:

Can someone explain why he's top tier despite all his specials being punishable on block?

Ken has plenty of specials that are not punishable on block. Frame data doesn't really dictate how good a character is in this game as much as it did in sfv since the game gives you so many options on defense, along with most characters only having 1 to 2 plus moves usually.

OD Fireball = -2 on block

HK dragonlash = +1 on block (+2 on crouching)

HK Jinrai = -2

Jinrai overhead = -3

Jinrai heavy = -3

Run overhead = -3

I think Ken is considered top tier due to the fact that he is extremely well-rounded with good normals and anti-air options. He has great pressure during jinrai strings. He can confirm into full screen corner carry and even switch sides if he wants. Most normals are cancellable into DI and I feel that Ken rewards players who choose to play a strong fundamental game utilizing all of the mechanics.

Edited by elliephil

Yeah Ken is one of the most well rounded characters in the game. I think the biggest thing that makes him strong is how easily he can corner you. It feels like any decent hit Ken can corner carry you half stage or he can do a side switch combo to turn the tables if he has his back to the wall. He also doesn’t need meter to do that stuff, which lets him conserve more for other things.

This is on top of the fact that he has all the good SF6 tools. Cancelable low, multiple one hit confirms, light>medium link, meterless plus frames, a fireball, DP, etc. And unlike many other characters he can do that stuff with having to manage a resource or a complex move pool he’s just a regular ol shoto. 

I don’t feel comfortable saying he’s the best character in the game but he’s up there for sure. Only thing is that it you play Ken you gotta be ok with seeing the mirror match A LOT and pretty much the entire playerbase having tons of matchup experience lol.

On 7/14/2023 at 6:26 PM, Vhozite said:

This is pretty much how I feel about Drive Rush and Drive Impact. I’m not sure I know how to phrase it but both feel like Capcom taking an almost heavy handed approach to making things happen in neutral a certain way. As you said DI seems like it’s specifically implemented to disincentivize too many pokes but like…why tho?

Probably a very unpopular take but to be honest at this point I just want a minimalist, almost SF2-esque game with modern amenities. Modern graphics, larger/newer roster, input buffer, tutorials/modern controls for new players, cool single player like WT, crossplay, etc. Having played 3 mainline games in a row now (4-6, only dabbled in the rest), even though I’ve enjoyed all 3 for hundreds of hours each game I feel like it would be better if it had *less* going on. Each game I feel like I’m just trying to enjoy the simple aspects will trying to play around the extras (Focus/Ultra, VT, DI/DR). 

That’s a big reason I dislike SF3 lol…feels like a great game with a terrible mechanic slapped on to it (for me).

You'll be called a boomer on Twitter for this and you probably are. But I understand how you feel. I'm really glad I started my SF journey with 5 because 5 IMO was truly the "grounded" SF game. 3/4/6 are dense with mechanics or technical depth where you're fighting the system as much as you are fighting the character. 5 wasn't like this because the V-System wasn't really a universal mechanic. It made me appreciate a more bare bones style of play. But I know I'm in the minority on that. Maximillian Dood talked about how for him the idea of playing a game where the optimal stuff is found in a few days and then you're just grinding isn't fun. But since I started my fighting competitive journey with 5 to me the game not having 20 different systems made the dive in that much more accessible. If it wasn't for the 7 years of mastering crouch medium into fireball I doubt I'd be having as much fun playing 6. 

On 7/14/2023 at 8:43 PM, Pair of Rooks said:

Lol when I said the same about DI upthread I was fresh off a couple hours of Lily in ranked. That girl... She seems like she'd be a good character to footsie around with but she's really not. Like Reticently said, she's just not allowed to push buttons. Her reward can be good but there's equivalent risk, and that's just not a stable plan for neutral. Her range seems a little less than it should be due to her small stature. MP not being cancelable, b.HP is good but it's on a back, 2HP has long total duration, 3HP looks like it's airborne but isn't, HP rekka has little range... 5MK is good but a weapon user's range is on P...

And then she lacks a reversal.  And command grabs aren't immune to normal grabs. And she can't divekick out of a back jump. And she needs wind stocks. 

Unironically Lily would have been a monster in SFV if she had most her kit from 6. No DI to stop people like me from fishing with down fierce would have made her ultra annoying. Even if Kolin makes into 6 her stand fierce would be ultra minus on block and have so much recovery that DI would make it an irrelevant poke. I want three things for Lily. And air throw, invul DP and medium confirm. That's it. 

I still like 6 it's still SF and I'm gonna play till the next game drops. But yeah SFV is still a good game to me. 

3 hours ago, Vhozite said:

I thought you played Cammy then Kolin? 🤨

Cammy's ass wore him out, so he has to take breaks between times. 

It be like that. 

Jokes aside, now that Kolin was mentioned, the Illuminati is still present in this story I'd still have to wonder what happened to both Gill and Urien, considering this takes place post-3S.

Bro no fucking way is Rashid this fucking cracked are fucking kidding?!! Lily is in the same game as a dude can that literally create a full screen wall that he can push forward?! Are fucking serious? Bro Lily better get an ultra invul DP a launcher and new combo routes for season 2 because this is fucking oil sheik privilege. Did the Saudis bank roll SF6?!

18 minutes ago, TWINBLADES said:

Bro no fucking way is Rashid this fucking cracked are fucking kidding?!! Lily is in the same game as a dude can that literally create a full screen wall that he can push forward?! Are fucking serious? Bro Lily better get an ultra invul DP a launcher and new combo routes for season 2 because this is fucking oil sheik privilege. Did the Saudis bank roll SF6?!

Welcome to Stream! 🌪️🌪️🌪️

Rashid is another character where I think the non-CA version of his level 3 looks better. Not a fan of the teleports in his CA, but during his normal Level 3 he just moves very quickly through a raging tornado which seems more in-character.

He looks like an absolute nightmare btw. Imagine all that stuff in a match plus having to look out for DR and DI. 

I said this discord too but it’s crazy how Wong makes a tier list with Manon on the low end and opinion on her changes almost overnight. FGC is a damn hive mind.

Manon is 100% better the Zangief, but they have the same exact perception problem. People see the 30% grabs and just assume the character is great when the real issues are everything happening in between those cash outs.