Stage Select

The SF6 Thread: Akuma Incoming!

52 minutes ago, Phantom_Miria said:

Saudi and Western activism bullshit aside, Kakeru made it look like he was playing Third Strike in that grand final. It really felt like he leveled up live on stage against Angry Bird.

And this is only after 2 and a half months of the game being out.

The turnaround from Angry Bird's top 6 Evo run to the finals here too. Wasn't expecting such a sweep by kakeru 

Yeah the Saudis suck but they’re giving out the bag right now and I enjoy seeing players get money.

They just made a couple posts about performance bonuses Mena got one for going undefeated in the group stage and daigo got one for most dominate when he got 3 perfects on luffy. Each bonus is 10k. 

I don’t know how sustainable this all is but hell get it while you can. Some of the comments from players really puts it in perspective how little the payouts are. Arslan ash commented that the performance bonus was more than he got for winning evo.

1 hour ago, Volta said:

Shouldn't progressives celebrate that the Saudis are dumping a ton of money into things like esports and other forms of entertainment? Nothing like a bit of bread and circuses to loosen the iron grip that the Islamic conservatives have over those regions. 

Saudi is doing stuff like this to make the world overlook their numerous human right violations and the atrocities committed by the royal family. This exists so the country can bribe goodwill. 

49 minutes ago, Hawkingbird said:

This exists so the country can bribe goodwill. 

Saudi Arabia has been diversifying and investing in a bunch of businesses to beef up the country's portfolio. They have all the money to create new income streams and have the kingdom's stability be less dependent on a resource the entire planet is desperately moving away from.

If they get looked at in a positive light, I'm sure that's also an added benefit to everything.

15 hours ago, Hawkingbird said:

Saudi is doing stuff like this to make the world overlook their numerous human right violations and the atrocities committed by the royal family. This exists so the country can bribe goodwill. 

Not really, Saudi Arabia is trying to diversify their investments. Their wealth is all tied up in oil. They know having their wealth tied solely to oil will be their downfall at some point. So they are using the dollars they have to get involved in as many industries as possible. They know that clock is going to strike twelve on them at some point. Saudi Arabia is devoid of natural resources of value except for oil.

1 hour ago, AriesWarlock said:

This.

I too thought it was weird in the beta that it was weird how perfect parry was punished with massive scaling, and once the game came out I quickly realized how much sense that made because it's pretty common to get perfect parries even on accident, it's a mostly low risk thing to try, and eating a full punish off a dude who got a lucky perfect parry is just a big no.

It's a sign, like the special exception on wall splat if you are jailed into blocking a drive impact, that the devs really thought about things in this game.

Except maybe being a little too cautious with grapplers.

The perfect parry damage scaling is more to do with how parries work than it being too cheap. When you press the parry command, you have a chance to perfect parry, and then you're basically invulnerable to strikes the rest of the time. Not only that but holding it and parrying multiple attacks refills the drive gauge.

So the parry itself already does a lot. If it ALSO opened up people for full damage, they'd have to find some other way to balance it out. Its a really small window for perfect parry anyways and if you miss it late, you get hit, but if you miss it early, you don't take any damage. In that way its a really low risk thing to do.

28 minutes ago, Sonero said:

The perfect parry damage scaling is more to do with how parries work than it being too cheap. When you press the parry command, you have a chance to perfect parry, and then you're basically invulnerable to strikes the rest of the time. Not only that but holding it and parrying multiple attacks refills the drive gauge.

So the parry itself already does a lot. If it ALSO opened up people for full damage, they'd have to find some other way to balance it out. Its a really small window for perfect parry anyways and if you miss it late, you get hit, but if you miss it early, you don't take any damage. In that way its a really low risk thing to do.

This sounds like mid design decisions covering up bad design decisions lol 

Edited by Vhozite
1 hour ago, Volta said:

There shouldn't be a damn universal parry in the game in the first place.

Edit: Just forgot I didn't address this. The parry is there to protect the drive gauge in some way. If you didn't have parry, you'd essentially have a guard gauge that depletes faster when you use options with no way to salvage it. This way you have a low cost option to at least actively defend against being burned out. I personally don't like parries; the one in this game is half bearable or way too annoying (feels way too hard to sometimes punish parries you bait in any meaningful way other than throw). But that's more or less what's going on with the system. in that.

This game has a laundry list of decisions I think are trash. Even though, I still like it a lot. Its weird. I'm still trying to figure out how i feel about a lot of the random design decision in this game.

For sure super fast walkspeeds and big stage is way garbage. I can't describe unfun it is to have to walk at somebody all the way to the other corner if they escape one corner. After that...I'm not even sure why they brought back Rashid if he was gonna play like the asshole he is playing as at the moment. That' means A.K.I. is going to be FANG on demon time.

Not sure if you guys saw the Nemo video but it basically explains how to punish people who constantly fish for perfect parry.  People tapping parry in the corner open themselves up to DI because there's 29 frames of guard state after using parry where the player cannot DI.  If the cornered player senses DI coming they can Drive Rush from parry into DI but the other player can counter this by using long ranged crouching normals.

1 hour ago, Sonero said:

For sure super fast walkspeeds and big stage is way garbage. I can't describe unfun it is to have to walk at somebody all the way to the other corner if they escape one corner.

Nah big stages are perfectly fine in SF6 where characters are using DR cross damn near the whole screen for 1 bar or act like Ken where they can pick what corner to put you in off pretty much any touch. 

Also parry isn’t needed to protect drive gauge. You regain at least half of whatever meter you spent on hit, and outside of very specific characters/circumstances like Honda/Marisa or big hit into SA nobody is getting burned out strictly from opp actions unless they were already (over)spending meter.

Edit: Even taking out DR out of the equation there are wayyyy too many characters with moves sending them full screen to talk about shrinking stages/slowing down walk speeds. Talk to me about that when Blanka, Rashid, Honda, etc get looked at first.

Edited by Vhozite

There's that too. One issue with modern games is that they want to purposefully pump people full of combos. I'm not saying we need SF5's level of reductivity but holy shit, ken doesn't need to be side switching like that. Some stuff feels all over the place in terms of power levels.

Also fuck Rashid. Rashid has the world's most obvious double jump that's also some how insanely hard to DP. Imm a get Cammy to master then figure out if I wanna stick with it long term. I like the game a lot but I also wanna tell the producers that they're insane dumbfucks. Don't know what the deal is.

28 minutes ago, Hawkingbird said:

I wish that the bonus points for winning streaks stuck around past gold. When you reach diamond 5 it will be less grindy.

I have a few days off from work so I might just try to get it done. I usually have to stop playing ranked once I get frustrated so hopefully that doesn't happen to often. 😅

22 minutes ago, Vhozite said:

On the flip side, can we take a second to appreciate how much better hitbox are in SF6 compared to SFV? In 5 JP’s cane would be missing a hitbox for half/the entire stick and Chun’s are would have maybe 2 pixels of forward disjointed hitbox.

This.

Like, I reinstalled SFV recently to test some stuff and because I am planning on trying to get back to Super Diamond with Falke, and while doing arcade for the hell of it and I realized.

SFV is a metaphor about the incommunicability of the human race and our inability to understand each others.

Because all the characters in that game are trying to reach each others, but no matter how hard they try it seems they can never touch anything.

Do you remember Ryu's jab in SFV? That's existential nightmare right there.

I love Chun and JP disjointed stuff, give me more.

3 hours ago, Vhozite said:

On the flip side, can we take a second to appreciate how much better hitbox are in SF6 compared to SFV? In 5 JP’s cane would be missing a hitbox for half/the entire stick and Chun’s arm would have maybe 2 pixels of forward disjointed hitbox.

Yeah if it were SFV, Chun's hitbox would extend just beyond her elbow. It's part of the reason I played Kolin and Alex. I hate stubby ass buttons. Their buttons had reach.

Edit: @Phantom_MiriaI'll never forget switching to Ryu in Battle Lounge in SFV and whiffing buttons when trying to do block strings or just make my opponent block in general. I felt like he had T-Rex arms. I missed Kolin's St. MP, St. HP, and St. HK. I missed Alex's Cr. MK, St. MK, and F+HP 😏

Edited by Darc_Requiem
38 minutes ago, mykka said:

I think i've come to the conclusion that I dont like SF6. None of the characters do it for me either

1/2 for me. I actually do like sf6  I like it's mechanics, combo potential, etc. what I do not like is that none of the characters are clicking with me, ryus too basic AGAIN. Half the roster are store characters so to me they feel like your fighting your opponent AND fighting time to load your stuff.

1 hour ago, mykka said:

I think i've come to the conclusion that I dont like SF6. None of the characters do it for me either

Sorry to heart that. I was planning on maining Manon but something about Lily spoke to me and I think she was actually the right choice to begin the game with. Once I got my bearing and hit Plat I finally started to like 6. I hope you find a character even if it might take a few years.

22 minutes ago, Sonero said:

Mika players tired of throw loops.

Throw loops off regular throws are gay as fuck. I don't know why they brought that shit back when SFV yes, SFV fixed this issue. Everyone hated it in 5 and defense in 6 is fucking aids.