Stage Select

The Marvel comics and Mcu thread

20 minutes ago, Hawkingbird said:
  Hide contents

Gargantos could be an avatar of Shuma. Shuma is a Thanos level threat. He can do more than just throw cars at a busy New York

Spoiler

Also Shuma makes more sense.  Not only is he a many-angled one but the RULER of the Many-Angled ones. Gargantos is just a sentient sea monster. Plus Shuma be whatever size he wants to be. He can be as tall as a human or be as big as a planet. 

Also, the many-angeled ones were originally were creatures that lived between the multiverses but were later retconned to being from the cancer-verse. 

so either origin story for the MAO could work. But who knows 

Edited by iStu X

Well I finally got to see Spidey: NWH. I went 5 days later on a weekday at 3 pm and yet the 200 person theater was at full capacity.

I usually wait 1-2 weeks for seeing movies , but was scared I would get spoiled if i waited so i bit the bullet.

IMO, it's definitely the best of the "Home"  trilogy. Despite the long runtime, I was on the edge of my seat.

Pros:

Despite being the most serious film, it was also the most funny.

Tom Holland's acting. While it is generally good before, the plot and tone gave him a lot more to chew one. He really is Spider-man in this film.

The relationship between MJ and Pete felt more substantial and Zendaya even brings it in some scenes. She was my least liked character in Homecoming so props.

The interplay and camaraderie between 1,2,3 towards the end and the injokes were great.

The emotional moments are earned and this film had the highest personal stakes.

Pete grows the most in this film and while he has help from others, he is the spur for many of the actions.

the brief cameo by a certain "Catholic" 

Cons:

Sometimes the editing is a bit jarring. It feels like many of the actors are not all in the same shot and edited in to the film in an artificial manner.

2 of the villains are a little short changed in terms of screentime and their changing motivations are a bit rushed.

Overall: 9/10.   

I havent been this excited for a live action Spidey film since Raimi's SM2. Id put it on par with that film and Spider-verse.- maybe a hair better.

28 minutes ago, HD-Man said:
  Hide contents

Oh, Fisk got a major power boost in his MCU incarnation. Dude shrugging off arrows, getting hit by a car and survived a point blank explosion. With that being said, no way that bullet killed him, that nigga coming back 😂

Spoiler

He also ripped the hinges off a car door. Where was that strength when he fought Daredevil? 

23 minutes ago, Hawkingbird said:
  Hide contents

He also ripped the hinges off a car door. Where was that strength when he fought Daredevil? 

Spoiler

Probably not that exact same Kingpin from Daredevil despite the same actor unfortunately. He's definitely more comic accurate power wise tho, which makes him even more menacing. No way Daredevil can fight this version straight up and win. This Kingpin can definitely can fight Spiderman tho 👀

Edited by HD-Man
10 minutes ago, HD-Man said:
  Hide contents

Probably not that exact same Kingpin from Daredevil despite the same actor unfortunately. He's definitely more comic accurate power wise tho, which makes him even more menacing. No way Daredevil can fight this version straight up and win. This Kingpin can definitely can fight Spiderman tho 👀

Spoiler

There's no reason why this wouldn't be the same Kingpin. It's not just the same actor but the characterization is also the same. Not to mention it rides on the audience knowing him from Daredevil for his menace to have impact. He gets no proper introduction in this show. 

45 minutes ago, Hawkingbird said:
  Reveal hidden contents

There's no reason why this wouldn't be the same Kingpin. It's not just the same actor but the characterization is also the same. Not to mention it rides on the audience knowing him from Daredevil for his menace to have impact. He gets no proper introduction in this show. 

Idk why you goes like to go at me about this, there's nothing either way giving us a definite answer on this, I habitually use words like "probably" for a reason in these 2 particular characters cases. I'm leaning toward them not being the same, but there's no way to know until the shows explain it or Fiege says it directly, for awhile Marvel seemed to suggest none of it counted.

But again, no definite confirmation or denial so I'm allowed to lean one way or the other 

Does this clarify what I'm saying? 

Edited by HD-Man
13 minutes ago, HD-Man said:

Idk why you goes like to go at me about this, there's nothing either way giving us a definite answer on this, I habitually use words like "probably" for a reason in these 2 particular characters cases. I'm leaning toward them not being the same, but there's no way to know until the shows explain it or Fiege says it directly, for awhile Marvel seemed to suggest none of it counted.

But again, no definite confirmation or denial so I'm allowed to lean one way or the other 

Does this clarify what I'm saying? 

Marvel netflix was small scale. No need strike it from canon as ignoring it could be just as effective if they wanted nothing to do with it. I think Agents of Shield and Inhumans are the only shows Marvel studios treat like bastard childs. 

Spoiler

With Kingpin's appearance on Hawkeye and Daredevil in Spider-man I hope the netflix characters get more play in future MCU projects. I would love for Luke Cage to meet Blade and telling him he looks like someone he knows. 

Edited by Hawkingbird
8 minutes ago, Hawkingbird said:

Marvel netflix was small scale. No need strike it from canon as ignoring it could be just as effective if they wanted nothing to do with it. I think Agents of Shield and Inhumans are the only shows Marvel studios treat like bastard childs. 

Hide contents

With Kingpin's appearance on Hawkeye and Daredevil in Spider-man I hope the netflix characters get more play in future MCU projects. I would love for Luke Cage to meet Blade and telling him he looks like someone he knows. 

Spoiler

Idk how many but I got a hunch alot of those characters coming back at some point. I think Luke Cage said he'd come back, but his new show Evil is doing pretty well so it'll probably be a few cameos and small roles at most.

Personally I'd love to see Purple Man return and fuck with some MCU heroes, dudes power is horrifying and lowkey an Avengers level threat. 

I was curious how'd they incorporate some of the more mature characters to fit in, after seeing Kingpin, I'm satisfied. Cuz there was a rumor of a Daredevil show revival. They may be able to pull of a PG-13 show (or put it under the Hulu banner to make it rated R) 

Edited by HD-Man

I just finished Hawkeye S1. 

I haven't read any comics so bear with me.

Pros: 

The camaraderie between Kate and Clint was good. 

The car chase in Ep3 and the trick arrows. 

Maya character is intriguing. Seems like a character that fits in Daredevils world 

Cons 

The series is a bit too jokey sometimes and two characters reconciling in the last episode didn't have the desired impact 

While I'm excited to see the return of the "big man" , his actions were a bit too risky and brazen compared to previous depiction.

The whole Eleanor reveal didn't work for me. I was expecting Jack to have a bigger role or more significance to the main plot.  

Maybe I'missing something ,but for a show called Hawkeye , we really didn't learn a lot of new stuff about him.  It felt like a "passing the torch" /Kate Bishop show. We knew Clint was Ronin and killed a lot of peeps and that he has guilt over Natasha's death. I thought they would go more into his pre-Avengers stuff. It was a bit underwhelming.

Overall: 7/10

Edited by DangerousJ

Still haven't seen Spider-Man due to family obligations BS this week. But will put up my feelings on Hawkeye.

Spoiler

Yo, they obvious didn't bring in any of the Daredevil writers cause my man Fisk was sounding meh in comparison most of the episode. They seem to have given him the near super human strength he is often shown to have but I was left feeling disappointed. Doubt he is dead, as you don't bring him in just to do that and the scene with Echo is homage to the comics. But overall it was a really good series. I feel it is better then Loki among the Disney plus live action shows.

17 hours ago, HD-Man said:
  Hide contents

Curious why they rolling with Gargantos in the Dr Strange movie instead of Shuma. Or maybe they'll use him down the line either way that trailer has me excited 

Spoiler

That looks more like an avatar of Shuma-Gorath, really. Shuma is humongous.

They can bring out Shuma-Gorath for Strange's world but they can't bring out Mistress Death for Thanos 😒

I don't think that was the motivation in the comics. Thanos wipes out half the universe because Death commanded him to do it, and he is one of her agents, just like Silver Surfer is an agent of Galactus. So he obeys.

Now getting the Infinity gems to become Death's equal, that could be argued as some motivation to gain her heart.

Edited by AriesWarlock
7 minutes ago, AriesWarlock said:

I don't think that was the motivation in the comics. Thanos wipes out half the universe because Death commanded him to do it, and he is one of her agents, just like Silver Surfer is an agent of Galactus. So he obeys.

Now getting the Infinity gems to become Death's equal, that could be argued as some motivation to gain get heart.

Thanos is a simp in the comics. He did what he did to gain her love. He's committed countless genocide campaigns in her name and she don't even give him a side glance. When he found out that Death was in love with Deadpool he gave Wade immortality so they can't be together. 

20 minutes ago, Hawkingbird said:

Thanos is a simp in the comics. He did what he did to gain her love. He's committed countless genocide campaigns in her name and she don't even give him a side glance. When he found out that Death was in love with Deadpool he gave Wade immortality so they can't be together. 

He became God to be worthy of her status and love. Killing half the universe was on the back of his mind during the ordeal, and he did it later after being rejected by Death.

And so, removing Death from the movies was one of the worst things they have done.

His name means death, not fucking "the balancer".

Edited by AriesWarlock

I'm curious if they're gonna explain "the big guy" s sudden power boost at some point if he's one in the same as the previous guy. He was shrugging off and throwing shit he definitely couldn't have in the past. Of course, they never really explained it in the comics either to my knowledge so maybe it's for the best they don't 

😂

9 minutes ago, HD-Man said:

I'm curious if they're gonna explain "the big guy" s sudden power boost at some point if he's one in the same as the previous guy. He was shrugging off and throwing shit he definitely couldn't have in the past. Of course, they never really explained it in the comics either to my knowledge so maybe it's for the best they don't 

😂

He's just dumb strong.. Similar to dd he just honed his body to chuck muthafuckas 

2 hours ago, HD-Man said:

😂

He has body armor lined into his suits. Presumably that how he was able to tank all that damage. The films were comic accurate than the shows so they could have just bumped his abilities to match his comic counterpart 

Trial of Magneto ending was…interesting. 

Spoiler

Through some Shenanigans Magneto and Wanda basically set her suicide up to looking like a murder and framing Toad for it.  Which devastates Magneto as he grieves for betraying a fellow mutant. 

the reason why they did this is so through magic and the krakoan resurrection protocols she somehow reverses M-Day and now over 20 million mutants are now in the resurrection protocols in a place on Krakoa called The Waiting Room. 

I’ll have to read the entire 5-issue mini series again because the pacing is very odd and jarring. 

Edited by iStu X

Watched the Hawkeye finale finally.

Spoiler

No Spider-Man appearance was a bummer, but really that was me setting myself up for disappointment lol. I was so sure he was gonna show up in the Christmas Tree scene since he passes that same area at the end of NWH but oh well.

Fantastic finale either way. Yelena vs Kate is possibly my favorite scene from this show and Clint reconciling with Yelena had a ton of emotional weight behind it. It was pretty hard not to tear up during that scene. I’m also shocked they killed off Kingpin….though whenever we hear a gunshot off screen that of course leaves different possibilities open so I guess we’ll see. Personally I think it’d be a waste to kill him off before he even meets Spidey. 

This is probably my second favorite show they’ve done so far, right behind Loki. It has the street level feel of the Netflix Marvel properties with the budget of one of their blockbuster films. I didn’t expect to care about this show too much and it totally surprised me. Kate is a great addition to the MCU and Yelena continues to be a fantastic character. 

My only real complaint about this show…is fuck y’all at Marvel for making me watch that 10 minute stinger thinking they was actually gonna show something important lmfao. I’m over here thinking Spidey is gonna swing by or something that whole time, not even realizing they literally just showing the whole goddamn play right now.😑

8 outta 10 for me. 👍🏾

Edited by B R O W N
29 minutes ago, Darc_Requiem said:

For Hawkeye, did anyone...

Reveal hidden contents

Pickup that Clint's wife is Mockingbird?

Spoiler

Yeah, on paper it seems like a plot conflict with Agents of Shield but, they’ll probably write around that somehow. Maybe even flat out ignore it. They’ve already shown they’re willing to have the same actor play two characters and ignore that, so lol

It’s probably not that hard to just write around it though. Mockingbird is probably just a “title” or “mantle” that has been passed down. 

8 minutes ago, B R O W N said:
  Hide contents

Yeah, on paper it seems like a plot conflict with Agents of Shield but, they’ll probably write around that somehow. Maybe even flat out ignore it. They’ve already shown they’re willing to have the same actor play two characters and ignore that, so lol

It’s probably not that hard to just write around it though. Mockingbird is probably just a “title” or “mantle” that has been passed down. 

AoS isn't cannon. That ship sailed after Season 2.

5 hours ago, Hawkingbird said:

The way time travel worked in the final season was not consistent with Endgame

Time travel in Endgame wasn't consistent with itself.

Spoiler

Unless the theory that Loki's first season runs concurrently with the last quarter of Endgame which is why all those time travel deaths and time manipulation is ignored.

So I guess Multiverse of Madness is up next, gonna be a long wait on that.

As for what I want from that movie: Fox X-men cameos, Iron Man variant played by Downey or Tom Cruise (preferably an evil variant), atleast a Shuma Gorath tease and a damn good explanation for why Strange Supreme ain't guarding Zola and Killmonger-Ultron from gettin out lol😂

On 12/24/2021 at 1:33 AM, iStu X said:

Trial of Magneto ending was…interesting. 

Hide contents

Through some Shenanigans Magneto and Wanda basically set her suicide up to looking like a murder and framing Toad for it.  Which devastates Magneto as he grieves for betraying a fellow mutant. 

the reason why they did this is so through magic and the krakoan resurrection protocols she somehow reverses M-Day and now over 20 million mutants are now in the resurrection protocols in a place on Krakoa called The Waiting Room. 

I’ll have to read the entire 5-issue mini series again because the pacing is very odd and jarring. 

Spoiler

It was a very good issue. I don't know why they had to frame Toad for it unless he was a willing participant.

The mutants are going to become more interesting now.

On 12/25/2021 at 11:02 AM, AriesWarlock said:

Hide contents

It was a very good issue. I don't know why they had to frame Toad for it unless he was a willing participant.

The mutants are going to become more interesting now.

You gunna read the Sabretooth mini series starting in February?

Took my grandkids, their mom, and my wife to see No Way Home last night (it was my wife's birthday). Was quite good. Gonna drop something regarding the end credits in spoilers though.

Spoiler

The use of "The Magic Number" by De La Soul during the credits was pretty dope, and was not expecting that at all. Too bad a physical CD copy of the same album is upwards of $60 because of their ongoing dispute with Tommy Boy regarding their recording masters.