Stage Select

The MEGASHOCK Saloon Thread 3: Chinder Chagger Edition

16 minutes ago, AriesWarlock said:

Its been 2 whole episodes...can we atleast give them a chance to world build and character develop first? 

Also Durin isn't a jerk.  I thought he was being an ass at first and then he gave his reasoning and I went..."fair enough".  Elrond isn't a coward either since he went into Khazad Dum by himself to challenge Durin. 

5 minutes ago, Reticently said:

My only two complaints with Rings of Power is that the pacing is kind of boring, and that Amazon didn't pony up for the rights to the extra Tolkien books that actually talk about who these people were and what they did.

Like, I don't even remember 90% of that extra material, and the show still keeps feeling like weird fan-fic to me.

From what I've learned from somebody who is huge on LoTR...the extra material still sounds like weird fanfic. Man worte 3 billion years worth of background and other stuff.

Its all craziness to me. Sandman first episode was slow too; But that one felt like a way more compelling watch/story being introduced.

7 minutes ago, Sonero said:

Man worte 3 billion years worth of background and other stuff

He wrote a shit-ton of dry low narrative history that was either for his own amusement or for him to talk up with the academic super nerd set he hung out with.

But it's rough outline stuff for the time period the show is covering that they could have just filled in the details for and still had a field day with.  So them just going their own way with so much of it just hits a little funny. 

Edited by Reticently
3 hours ago, Sonero said:

I have no idea who any of these people are. 

So far seems to have the same boring ass pace as the movie. That makes me think it is being incredibly faithful to the source material.

thats an issue i had like i mentioned before i had to hit rewind a couple of times cuz the show for some strange reason expects you to know who da fuck these characters are with no exposition in the very beginning. it just drops you in and your like "???"

they tried to like fix it by having a explanation of who the characters are in the EXPLORE section of the rings of power amazon homepage.

where they have a list of characters and their pics with explanations as to wtf they are. but getting that info from the ROP homepage is like getting an explanation of things from the back of a video game box. that was whack of them tbh. you def gotta hit rewind a couple times on ep 1.

one thing i dont get which the show shouldve done better to explain is the timeline of when this is all happening im assuming its happening pre lotr? or after lotr events? i cant tell if its before the events of lotr trilogy.  or after the lotr events. i cant tell.

the show expects you to know these things. it expects you to be the biggest tolkien nerd, which most peeps arent.

3 hours ago, Reticently said:

My only two complaints with Rings of Power is that the pacing is kind of boring...

uh. but Tokien IS boring. sooo yea. like sonero said, faithful to the source 

can we agree at least that the music is amazing? cause thats a great score imo.

the music isnt by the same guy that composed the LOTR/HOBBIT movies. its by a guy named Bear mcCreary.  its the best thing about the show imo.

im just gonna wait till end of the season to judge it cuz trying to judge this show so soon might be mistake cuz you cant judge Westworld or Lost tv shows on the 1st couple eps obviously, isnt wise but whatevs.

dude dropping from the sky like songoku monkey king in a meteor might be interesting tho.

Edited by VirginDefiler
44 minutes ago, VirginDefiler said:

im assuming its happening pre lotr? or after lotr events? i cant tell if its before the events of lotr trilogy.  or after the lotr events. i cant tell.

Thousands of years before LoTR.

A lot of the writing in the 1st episode assumes viewers are at least dialed in on EXACTLY who Galadriel and Sauron are, from the movies if nothing else.  Which is pretty sloppy really, when they could have spared a minute at the beginning to clue in more casual viewers who maybe caught the movies in the theatre once 20 years ago.  If someone doesn't remember that Galadriel was already thousands of years old in the movies, seeing her as a little girl isn't going to help establish the time period.

Edited by Reticently
2 minutes ago, Reticently said:

Thousands of years before LoTR.

A lot of the writing in the 1st episode assumes viewers are at least dialed in on EXACTLY who Galadriel and Sauron are, from the movies if nothing else.  Which is pretty sloppy really, when they could spared a minute at the beginning to clue in more casual viewers who maybe caught the movies in the theatre once 20 years ago.

The worst part is that they sped through the creation of Orcs and the first war with Sauron. Feels like that whole first war, Sauron's rise to power etc already would've been a great TV show in of itself.

So you start watching it and they gotta catch you up on a bunch of super cool bullshit that happened already so that they can speed up to some hobbits finding blackberries.

👹

Actors Ben Stiller and Sean Penn are the latest high-profile individuals to make it onto Russia’s growing list of people banned from the country.

Stiller met with Zelenskyy, whom he called a 'hero,' in June in his role as a goodwill ambassador of the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees. He also met with everyday Ukrainians impacted by the invasion.

305628033_6075125915910815_4697737797774

Yep... I'm not the only one that notices this foolishness... and that it will quickly become a common thing:

It looks goddamn ridiculous...  what ever happened to this thing called "shame"?  Any criticism is always going to be met with "wha-what's wrong with that?"  It is astounding that it even has to be explained to anyone what's wrong and how this stupid ass bullshit looks.  I'm already wondering how many women (and soon men too) have shown up to job interviews with this Little Goomba Jiffy Pop bag cap on.

Similar lore to dragaonlance's  Laurana Kanan. elves live a long time in the Dragonlance and Dungeons & Dragons lore. Don't know about Lord of the Rings. Probably the same.

klTUysrN_2110201537251gpadd.jpg

According to the wiki

As a young elf no hint of decay touched her, and thus she was the only beauty Raistlin Majere could see with his cursed vision. She kept this youthful appearance throughout her life.

Edited by Jion_Wansu
5 minutes ago, Jion_Wansu said:

Don't know about Lord of the Rings. Probably the same.

Tolkien's elves are completely immortal aside from physical injury/violence.

It's actually kind of funny, because the afterlife in Tolkien's world only exists for the mortal races, and the first time shit went wrong enough that an elf actually died the "gods" had to figure out what the fuck they were supposed to do with the ghost.  (Reincarnation.  They decided it was better just to bring them back to life than let a bunch of elf ghosts wandering the fuck around for the rest of forever.)

2 hours ago, MillionX said:

Yep... I'm not the only one that notices this foolishness... and that it will quickly become a common thing:

It looks goddamn ridiculous...  what ever happened to this thing called "shame"?  Any criticism is always going to be met with "wha-what's wrong with that?"  It is astounding that it even has to be explained to anyone what's wrong and how this stupid ass bullshit looks.  I'm already wondering how many women (and soon men too) have shown up to job interviews with this Little Goomba Jiffy Pop bag cap on.

This is reminding me of Boondocks again...I'm not gonna click the video but I'm instantly reminded of Riley wearing a purse and skirt specifically because Gangstalicious was doing it.

Saw the second episode of Rings of Power. I have no idea why people are trying to review bomb this show. Special effects are awesome, sets are awesome, stuff that happened in this episode was entertaining. Lots of goofy high fantasy stuff happened.

I'm going to assume there's just malcontents hating it because it didn't come out straight out of Tolkien's asshole. But as its own thing, it was pretty good.

pretty much that. but thats not all.

at the same exact time ROP is getting review bombed cuz its not canon. 

the house of the dragon is getting jerked off by every GOT fan treating it like its Shakespeare. ive read assholes stating they cancelled amazon subscription for hbo. peeps saying its BETTER than GOT from having seen just 1 ep.

people are stupid. i swear. how the fuck are you gonna say house of dragon is better than game of thrones from having watched just episode 1?

smdh. shitting on rings of power while jerking off house of dragon from having watched episodes 1.

1469021612-gameofthrones-tyrion-confused

i saw episode 1 of house of dragon, it was good. as good as ep 2 of rop. but it wasnt THAT good to be getting the bs super high praise its getting. stop it mofos.

edit:

tho, i cant wait for both shows seasons 1 to be complete...just to watch the rings of power nerds war with the house of dragon nerds, about which show was better, and see the bloody aftermath.

dis gon b gud this is gonna be good GIF

Edited by VirginDefiler
4 hours ago, Sonichuman said:

This is reminding me of Boondocks again...I'm not gonna click the video but I'm instantly reminded of Riley wearing a purse and skirt specifically because Gangstalicious was doing it.

Could've sword Method Man and others wore shower caps and bonnets back in the 90s and early 2000s. They help retain moisture and keep afros neat. So that they don't have to be picked as often.

9 hours ago, MillionX said:

I also remember these bonnet/shower cap things being super popular in the late 90’s through the late aughts as well. I’d see them everywhere.

Like BB Hoodie said, it’s for afro integrity and to minimize up keep . It’s just them coming back. 

Edited by iStu X

reason why dudes. black dudes wore shower caps back in the past, namely the late 80s early 90s is quite simple and not why u think. its because:

jheri curls.

youre asking yourself, 'why?" reaon is simple. cuz jheri curls are highly highly flammable. and god forbid you light up a cigarette or blunt, whilst rockin jheri curls.

cuz whats gonna happen to you is what happened to richard pryor and micheal jackson. 

which is

STL216059.jpg

i saw enuff brothas growing up in the hood smoking stogies with shower caps on covering their jheri curls from potential lit sparks from the blunt/cig, flyin up into their hair, cuz the wind blowin it up back up at their own heads, walkin the streets,  to last a  lifetime. 

its literally the whole reason why jheri curls went out of style. everyone rockin jheris were terrified of how flammable they were.

p.s.

im also counting afro sheen juice as in the same category as jheri juice. doesnt matter, flammable as fuck. both shits.

Edited by VirginDefiler
19 minutes ago, VirginDefiler said:

reason why dudes. black dudes wore shower caps back in the past, namely the late 80s early 90s is quite simple and not why u think. its because:

jheri curls.

youre asking yourself, 'why?" reaon is simple. cuz jheri curls are highly highly flammable. and god forbid you light up a cigarette or blunt, whilst rockin jheri curls.

cuz whats gonna happen to you is what happened to richard pryor and micheal jackson. 

which is

STL216059.jpg

i saw enuff brothas growing up in the hood smoking stogies with shower caps on covering their jheri curls from potential lit sparks from the blunt/cig, flyin up into their hair, cuz the wind blowin it up back at you, walkin the streets,  to last  lifetime. 

its literally the whole reason why jheri curls went out of style. everyone rockin jheris were terrified of how flammable they were.

Well when they're drowning their hair in flammable oils and aerosols every hour or two. They shouldn't be surprised. 

1 hour ago, iStu X said:

I remember these bonnet/shower cap things being super popular in the late 90’s through the late aughts as well. I’d see them everywhere.

Like BB Hoodie said, it’s for afro integrity and to minimize up keep . It’s just them coming back. 

Croconaw is criminally underatted. One of the best mid evolution designs. Really has that in between look of still bring kinda cute like it's pre evolution. But also hints at the badass it'll become

1 hour ago, BB_Hoody said:

Croconaw is criminally underatted. One of the best mid evolution designs. Really has that in between look of still bring kinda cute like it's pre evolution. But also hints at the badass it'll become

It’s legit in my top 5 favorite Pokémon ever. Its just a chonky little Kaiju with a lot of sass and snaggle teeth. It’s the absolute best. 

Edited by iStu X

Another annoying shitty thing with the race-swap debate of modern times... people keep assuming that those who have a problem with all the blackwashing were totally fine with the whitewashing from years ago.... more folks need to be challenged on that shit.  ALL the race-swapping is stupid, imo.  It frustrated me that so many Mortal Kombat fans were ok with that nonsense they passed off as "Raiden" in the first movie....along with any other situation where there was a white dude playing a non-white character.  They assume this shit just to make it easier to argue the point for why the reverse is "justified" now. 

Most of them also don't seem to be aware that real people have been "blackwashed" at this point, e.g. Anne Boleyn recently in that British miniseries.  Sometimes even they have to admit "...oh....haha yeah that's stupid."  It's a fun *secret weapon* to unleash into the conversation.

I also wonder what other changes they would be fine with because the character's appearance supposedly has "nothing to do with the story"----like would these silly people be ok with a 300 lbs. woman being Wonder Woman?  Her strength appears to be magical in nature sooooooo... it's not like she HAS to be physically fit for it to make sense rightttt? 😆  (it's what some said when there were criticisms of Gal Gadot being way too skinny)  How about we get a dwarf actor to play the Juggernaut?  Maybe a person with no legs and in a wheelchair can play Gambit....what about age discrepancy... would they be ok with Helen Mirren playing Jubilee?  (I suppose not since the discrepancy is only age and she's not a black person...they'd cheer on Eartha Kitt as Jubilee if she were still alive....because hey anyone can play anyone, right?)

...basically I gave up all hope on characters being accurate a long time ago.  I'm here to laugh at the absurdity of it all at this point.

12 minutes ago, MillionX said:

ALL the race-swapping is stupid, imo.  It frustrated me that so many Mortal Kombat fans were ok with that nonsense they passed off as "Raiden" in the first movie....along with any other situation where there was a white dude playing a non-white character.  They assume this shit just to make it easier to argue the point for why the reverse is "justified" now.

Whoa whoa wait..... since when was it established that Raiden was "white washed"? Are we implying he should be Asian?  Raiden is a God, so no nationality or ethnicity involved there. Even the actor who played him in the first 2 games was not Asian. And Christopher Lambert did an awesome job portraying him, so I don't know where all this nonsense is coming from.

It kinda sounds like the whole "argument" that Goku should only be played by Asian actors considering that Goku is an alien and has no ethnicity.

It looked stupid to me--- even though Raiden is a god--- a white person is not who I'd have in mind to play such a character unless part of the story is that he decides to make himself appear that way for some reason, perhaps to fit in at a place that is mostly white people or something... and where was the proper outfit?  They had this guy looking like a white wizard from a D&D or Tolkien kind of story.  It would be like if there's a storyline involving a deity or other mythical being from an African culture... and say we got John Leguizamo playing an "Ishologu" or something... or Meryl Streep...with a plaid bathrobe for some reason.  That would look silly and out of place to me.  Maybe for a Native American mythical being we can get Damon Wayans in a Power Rangers Zeo costume, I guess.

DBZ and most animated things should just stay in animation... that's a different rant there.... I'm not a fan of the push to make every animated thing into a live-action reboot.  It's strange to picture any of the Dragonball characters as real people mostly due to that art style (the more "stylized" a character is, the more difficult it will be to match that in live action... to the point where just about any casting choice will be a disappointment since real people just don't look like that) ....but of course in today's world of "progressive" casting choices, I'm sure we'd get Zendaya as Bulma, who for some reason is also a better fighter than Goku because they have to push the Girl-Power "women are superior in everything" message as hard as possible too.  It will be funny to see Bulma being the one to kick Freeza's ass to save the galaxy.

tbh i'd sorta like a live action berserk, but i dont think it ever happen cuz the source material is just way to raw n real to have actual actors doin the shit from the manga. unless it went into xxx or nc-17 rating and you aint pouring 200 million dollars worth of special effects into a movie with a triple x rating. cuz if you try to tame shit down to get it rated R or pg-13 berserk of all things, it'll suck so bad.

Edited by VirginDefiler

Berserk is very adult and serious but doesn't have anything that the Game of Thrones didn't do (other than the Eclipse).

I am very much in the camp of not wanting to see it adapted. They tried with Cowboy Bebop. That has me forever disinterested in them giving anything else a similar treatment. Also shoutouts to the Preacher TV show for being boring AF in the first season...somehow.

Anything that was previously in animated or comic/manga form being adapted at this point is almost guaranteed to be either barely passable but disappointing...or pure trash, since all hope of accuracy went out the window a while ago, and too many people that call the shots in Hollywood have certain agendas to push any chance they get.  

Viewtiful Joe, by Netflix---> Joe gets hurt in the first episode and loses his V-watch... so obviously it's up to the vastly superior Silvia to step up and save everyone with ease.  Silvia also realizes she never actually loved Joe in "that way", as she's coming to terms with the fact that she might be a lesbian.  Captain Blue at the end tells Joe to just stay home because we got a real hero now with Silvia, who is 200x better than any hero of Movieland in the past.

Ninja Gaiden - Ryu gets crippled in the first 3 minutes so it's up to Irene Lew to save him and defeat Jacquio.  Irene is played by Lupita N'yongo.  The movie is over in 20 minutes though because she's that damn good.  Ryu is a chump in comparison.

Donkey Kong - Mario is the one that was taken hostage by Kong, so now it's up to Pauline to save him... Lizzo stars as Pauline.  Mario is played by Andre Johnson (Magic Johnson's son), obviously. 

47 minutes ago, MillionX said:

Anything that was previously in animated or comic/manga form being adapted at this point is almost guaranteed to be either barely passable but disappointing...or pure trash, since all hope of accuracy went out the window a while ago, and too many people that call the shots in Hollywood have certain agendas to push any chance they get.  

Viewtiful Joe, by Netflix---> Joe gets hurt in the first episode and loses his V-watch... so obviously it's up to the vastly superior Silvia to step up and save everyone with ease.  Silvia also realizes she never actually loved Joe in "that way", as she's coming to terms with the fact that she might be a lesbian.  Captain Blue at the end tells Joe to just stay home because we got a real hero now with Silvia, who is 200x better than any hero of Movieland in the past.

Ninja Gaiden - Ryu gets crippled in the first 3 minutes so it's up to Irene Lew to save him and defeat Jacquio.  Irene is played by Lupita N'yongo.  The movie is over in 20 minutes though because she's that damn good.  Ryu is a chump in comparison.

Donkey Kong - Mario is the one that was taken hostage by Kong, so now it's up to Pauline to save him... Lizzo stars as Pauline.  Mario is played by Andre Johnson (Magic Johnson's son), obviously. 

Why’re you getting so butt hurt over your own theoreticals that would make you upset. I don’t understand. 

Edited by iStu X