Stage Select

Video Game Discussion Thread vol. 2

16 minutes ago, OPTIMUS124 said:

It's a move that I honestly despise. I prefer physical releases when appropriate. I have the preorder sitting at Best Buy right now and I'm tempted to cancel it and just go for the digital.  

EA clearly didn't want to put forth the money spring for an extra data disc which is pretty dumb.  Its possible they may fix it later but at this point my interest in the game has dimmed a bit.  I don't feel like giving money to the idea that single player games not come complete (read: working) out of the box.  Patches are one thing this feels sneaky.

4 hours ago, Sonichuman said:

EA clearly didn't want to put forth the money spring for an extra data disc which is pretty dumb.  Its possible they may fix it later but at this point my interest in the game has dimmed a bit.  I don't feel like giving money to the idea that single player games not come complete (read: working) out of the box.  Patches are one thing this feels sneaky.

The more I thought about it, the more I rather just hold off (if ever) on picking it up. You get more of what you pay for. 

Edited by OPTIMUS124

My FINAL FANTASY III Pixel Remaster adventure has begun! Holy BALLS, the music in this game is SO good. We got guitar riffs in the battle themes and a freaking banjo in Eternal Wind! I haven't played FFIII since I beat the DS version eons ago. It'll be nice to play a version that is more in line with the Famicom original but with added features. I forgot how heavy the Job System can be. I can't immediately sell off weapons and armor because someone else may need it. I named my Warriors of Light, Chisai, Zun-Zun, Luigi and Poyo.

49 minutes ago, RSG3 said:

Kinda fuckin late to do anything about that Capcom. "It's come to our attention" fuck off man it's been how many months now?

It's basically tell people to cut it out or from here on out there will be consequences. Some people were brazen enough to stream themselves playing the cracked beta. Similar things have happened before but people were smart enough not capture themselves on video. What is it with the younger generation video taping themselves doing dirt.

1 hour ago, Darc_Requiem said:

It's basically tell people to cut it out or from here on out there will be consequences. Some people were brazen enough to stream themselves playing the cracked beta. Similar things have happened before but people were smart enough not capture themselves on video. What is it with the younger generation video taping themselves doing dirt.

Yea and they are months late. This was pointless if them.  People will play it anyway. 

I'm still occasionally trying to get comfortable with playing games like V-Rising with keyboard/mouse controls... I still don't quite see how people are comfortable with this awkward bullshit, man.  None of it feels like the "natural" way to play a damn game to me...."looking around" with mouse is good but moving with keyboard buttons just feels stupidly awkward....it's just strange.(*also seems like e,d,s,f would be better keys anyway for those of us who are accustomed to using "home row" when typing; those keys would seem like the more natural fit so I may try changing to that later...)  I have another idea [besides switching to e/s/d/f keys] I may give a shot later though.  

EDIT---Yep....e,d,s,f is a better choice than "wasd" so far....I'm slowly getting used to this now, and I've crafted the first few things.

Still, I doubt it will ever feel as natural a control method to me as good ol' console style control pad settings....it's always been that or arcade joystick controls for me, so that will always be the "true"/comfortable way to play a game imo.

I had a "gaming mouse" with plenty of buttons on it a few years ago but it got lost at some point when moving, I think... I'll have to get another one of those (*fortunately it was fairly cheap so no big loss there)

The Gloomrot update is one of the things sparking my interest again in V-Rising

Edited by MillionX

Just takes time to adjust, Million.  You have to remember that you've been using a controller to play most games since you was just a young child.  I was the same way but eventually I got use to mouse and keyboard.  I use the M&K more now than I do a controller.  Even for single player games I tend to use M&K.  The only thing better, I think, about a controller is the left analog stick for movement.  Only reason I think that is better cause its that...barely move the stick and your dude walks, push it further and he runs.  Going from walking to running is easier I guess. 

p.s.  Just reading that makes me think that, yeah, there really isn't a reason for me to use a controller much. 

Edit - also V Rising sucks.  Its nothing like I thought it would be.  I refunded that stupid game.

Edited by Faltimar the Dark

More Diablo 4 stuff

Not surprising---death in hardcore pvp is indeed the death of your character just like anywhere else in the game; I'm not sure why anyone thought it might be different just for pvp 😆  I'm guessing not many people will be going into pvp with hardcore characters.

Also this "Redux" mod sounds like it improved Wonderlands in just about every way

Edited by MillionX

I went back to using another controller setup again for V-Rising, even though I was getting used to keyboard with "esdf" instead of "wasd" for movement... I have all important functions mapped now; left stick for movement of course; face buttons for simple attacks, etc. etc... the usual.  I've built some bare-bones structure already and set up the first "castle heart", treasure chest, the mist-producing device and a coffin.  

Re Jedi Survivor: I’ve heard the PC port is really bad. Arkham City levels of bad. Console versions are fine from what I’ve heard. Mixed to positive. I’ve talked to a lot of friends that have it on the same system I bought it for (PS5) and mention Quality mode runs the game perfectly fine while performance mode is straight garbage. (Palpatine “Ironic” gif)

EA and Respawn obviously want this to succeed so I’m sure there will be patches out the ass to fix the game. 

12 hours ago, iStu X said:

Re Jedi Survivor: I’ve heard the PC port is really bad. Arkham City levels of bad. Console versions are fine from what I’ve heard. Mixed to positive. I’ve talked to a lot of friends that have it on the same system I bought it for (PS5) and mention Quality mode runs the game perfectly fine while performance mode is straight garbage. (Palpatine “Ironic” gif)

EA and Respawn obviously want this to succeed so I’m sure there will be patches out the ass to fix the game. 

This backlog of mine isn't looking so bad now, lol. Jedi is going to the back of the line until they fix it. 

On 4/28/2023 at 11:57 PM, AriesWarlock said:

Man, that's a series I never even considered would get an adaptation. Though with that said, Twisted Metal Black had a lot of really interesting endings and character bios especially regarding the characters' motivations for entering the tournament. If they were to do one episode per character, like backstory, some tournament action, and then their ending, that would be cool as fuck. For a game that you wouldn't think story would matter at all, Sony did a killer job with it.

13 minutes ago, Darc_Requiem said:

I guess the Jedi Survivor is the player the buys the game on PC. WTF is up with all the shit PC ports lately. Things have really taken a step back. Of course games are coming out half ass on console too. So it's just a shit situation all around.

Game dev size and time has gotten so long and swollen there's no time for proper QA anymore and the Execs don't give a shit. The Developers of Cyperpunk begged the suits to delay the game. 

48 minutes ago, Darc_Requiem said:

I guess the Jedi Survivor is the player the buys the game on PC. WTF is up with all the shit PC ports lately. Things have really taken a step back. Of course games are coming out half ass on console too. So it's just a shit situation all around.

IMO one of the biggest reasons for that is the PC fanbases patching broken games themselves.  This is a double edged sword because it's nice to get shitty ports fixed but it also allows studios to be really lazy and release horribly janky ports and just expect the PC community to fix it.

14 minutes ago, J-ride said:

*Cough* FROM SOFTWARE *Cough*

I'll say for their PC ports that can be the case, but i will also admit I give them more slack I that realm then Bethesda because they aren't a PC developer, they admit to not being one, and they haven't ever been the strongest engineers in the first place and they have, over all, gotten better over time. 

Skyrim 10 years later in New releases still has day 1 bugs in it from its original launch. Bethesda started on PC and has stayed there for 40 years and they still make the same fucking dumb ass mistakes they made 40 years ago lol. Fromsoft has gotten better with time, not remotely perfect, but still better. 

Like no one tells you to just play Fromsoft games on PC because then least you can fix them. I've been told that for 25 years with Bethesda lol. 

Edited by RSG3
21 minutes ago, Hawkingbird said:

They aren't great console devs either. Their games are plague with technical issues one way or another. They're lucky nothing has really been game breaking. Blighttown being the worst it ever got. 

What's funny is thats not fucking true at all. It gets way worse. The series Souls is based on was way way worse. Armored Core used to control like solving a Rubix cube drenched in molasses. 

Framerate has been a consistant issue for Fromsoft since 1994.

Finally got round trying out SIGIL, the unofficial 5th episode of DOOM by John Romero, and it absolutely kicks ass. The level design is fucking great, the monster placement is brutal and the music is awesome but it does kinda have the "Thy Flesh Consumed" problem in that it could do with a few of DOOM 2's monsters and maybe the SSG. I'm playing on Hurt Me Plenty (medium skill) but I've found myself in dire straights a few times and e1m6 took me 4-5 attempts as some of the traps caught me off guard.

If you like DOOM or FPS games, play SIGIL.