Stage Select

Video Game Discussion Thread vol. 2

2 hours ago, RSG3 said:

We don't know when this decision was made, could have been later in development, and they already had her chosen from Spiderman 1, may even be under contract. We have no idea if it would have been easy or not to swap out the irl model. Also have no real idea if Homely models are cheaper then "hot" ones considering it's a look pretty much any woman can have by carrying themselves a specific way, I bet name has more to do woth cost then what yoy actually look like because anyone can made to look like anyone. 

It's very easy to say "Hire someone else" but yoy know as well as I do that's not how corporations work. There's paperwork and money involved. 

The car thing is weird, it's always bizarre to me when people compare human beings to innamiate objects. Forza gonna model a Ford right because thats what a Ford looks like, they literally come off an assembly line.

Do people come off assembly lines? 🤔 

They have no problem changing faces models in the Spiderman games. They literally changed Peter's face model for the remaster because they wanted to go in different direction. They had the rights to use his original face in the remaster. They decided not to. Which also caused a dustup with fans of game as well.

Maybe it's because I'm a car guy but a Ford isn't just a Ford. Appearance depends on the model, trim level, and the year. The Taurus I owned back in 2015 (6th Gen) looked completely different than the on my friend owned (2nd Gen). Humans don't come off of assembly lines but casting calls list a specific range of features (height, ethnicity, build, complexion, etc.) to get the model/actor the company is looking for. Same goes for cars which can be just as specific if not more so.  

Edited by Darc_Requiem
1 hour ago, Darc_Requiem said:

They have no problem changing faces models in the Spiderman games. They literally changed Peter's face model for the remaster because they wanted to go in different direction.

On an entirely new SKU with a new development cycle and budget Darc. Again, we don't know when the decision to make her more homely was made, them having no problem doing it doesn't mean they have the time or budget to do so. They didn't change Peter's face mid way through development of Spiderman 1 they did it on an entirely new platform with an entirely new release and budget lol. 

Maybe it's because I'm a car guy but a Ford isn't just a Ford.

Every 2015 Ford focus is the same. Every 2016 Ford Focus is the same. They are all the same within the year they are made. 

Casting calls don't always line up exactly with what the creatives want, sometimes thing change for reasons halfway through the situation. We really don't know. Honestly why spend all the money and time on new casting calls and rehearsals when they can just make her a bit more homely looking? Like why would Gorilla Games get someone completely new just because they wanna put a bit more weight on Aloy in the sequel? 

For the record I still find Peter's "new" face in the Spiderman 1 update and sequel to be fucking strange and weird looking when I play that game. It's like watching a movie you really loved but in the directors cut they replaced the lead actor with someone else but dubbed over all his lines with the old guy and he does every single thing the first actor did, exactly the same, making you wonder why they bothered and you just know it was a Sony mandate to make him look more like Tom then an actual creative decision lol. I dunno if it was the right or wrong decision I just know it a fucking weird one that still throws me off when I play the game lol. He looks so put together for a guy whose supposed to be barely managing lol. Like the new look doesn't even fit the story lol. Personally I'd have rather they did to the old model what they've done with MJ then the complete swap out they've done with Peter...

Edited by RSG3
1 hour ago, RSG3 said:

On an entirely new SKU with a new development cycle and budget Darc. Again, we don't know when the decision to make her more homely was made, them having no problem doing it doesn't mean they have the time or budget to do so. They didn't change Peter's face mid way through development of Spiderman 1 they did it on an entirely new platform with an entirely new release and budget lol. 

Neither of us know when this decision was made. What we do know is how Insomniac has handled this scenario before. It wasn't changing the face and lying that they've done so. The only difference between what happened with Peter and what happened with Mary Jane is Insomniac was honest about the former and dishonest about the latter. There was no need for gaslighting. They could have, like with Peter, just stood by their decision. "Why does it matter" is poor defense when you can't even acknowledge you've made a change. That in an of itself shows that, at least to Insomniac, it does matter. 

1 hour ago, RSG3 said:

Every 2015 Ford focus is the same. Every 2016 Ford Focus is the same. They are all the same within the year they are made. 

No pun intended but stay in your lane. Two Ford Foci, same year, same color, same trim level, and same color. They aren't the same. 

2015 Ford Focus SE White

2015_ford_focus_angularfront.jpg

2015 Ford Focus SE White

2-scaled.jpg

Honestly I'm done with this. I am through going around in circles on something, that aren't even talking about the same thing half time. I disagree with you. I've pointed to examples of what Insomniac has actually done in the same situation prior. Believe what you will.

Believe what you will

You posted the special edition of a car and didn't even explain what makes them different. According to Ford on Google it has more cup holders and might have more safety feature depending on year. Hardly a radically different car.  It's literally the same car but with a couple more bells, whistles and doodads. 

But yea man have a nice day. 

Edited by RSG3

God it's almost hard to see that hatch...or maybe hard to see the trunk since it's facing away. 

I wish hatch backs where more popular then SUVs. They do almost all the same shit with an SUV that yoy could do with a hatch back without being nearly as dumb large....or dumb ugly...

Edited by RSG3

Skyrim--- sheeit, a Draugr Deathlord thought he had the drop on me... interesting shout power that removed my access to dragon shout powers for a while apparently; I came back in the vampire lord form and hit him with the "corpse curse" magical paralysis....so he could do nothing as the blood magic spell then drained his life away.  That enemy is one to consider resurrecting via "ritual stone" as an ally, actually....since he was tough with a great sword and shout power.

Ritual Stone is so insane...I don't remember if any other standing stone powers were this good... it lets you resurrect pretty much anything, so it isn't as limited as other methods of resurrecting things.  There also is apparently no limitation on how many can be raised with it either... I remember way back when the game was new, there was a cave with a master vampire and his servants in the back, but in an earlier room there was a shallow grave with a LOT of dead bodies, and yep...Ritual Stone raised all of them, so the vamp had no chance against my undead legion....it was one of the more memorable moments for me back then.  ...but yeah, necromancy tactics via "Ritual Stone" is so strong.  Another bonus is that when the effect ends, the bodies are still there (instead of crumbling to dust like with other options) and could be raised again.....the only thing balancing it is that status of being a "once per day" power.

https://elderscrolls.fandom.com/wiki/The_Ritual_Stone_(Skyrim)

ah, so there is a level limit, it's just really high:

"Only corpses level 75 and under can be reanimated, however this limit can be increased with the Necromage perk.

Once the time has elapsed, the reanimated will fall to the ground but will not turn into an ash pile."

Great clip bit it does make me wonder how western games still really fail at selling the impact of combat in their action games. Those sound effects are weak, those hit stop animations and impact effects from Princes weapons are kinda...weak. 

I don't really understand why I can play an FPS from a western dev and pick up a shotgun that feels like it could carve out a new Grand Canyon, but then I play an action game from the west and it feels like I have toilet paper rolls for boxing gloves or something. 

Reminds me of Ebony and Ivory. Shoot them in DMC1 and they look and sound like they could put a hole in the earth and hit just as hard. Big ass fully custom 1911s. Then you play DmC and they are tiny little twisted up Baretta's that sound like Cap Guns and can barely stop the wind. 

Edited by RSG3
20 minutes ago, RSG3 said:

Great clip bit it does make me wonder how western games still really fail at selling the impact of combat in their action games. Those sound effects are weak, those hit stop animations and impact effects from Princes weapons are kinda...weak. 

I don't really understand why I can play an FPS from a western dev and pick up a shotgun that feels like it could carve out a new Grand Canyon, but then I play an action game from the west and it feels like I have toilet paper rolls for boxing gloves or something. 

Reminds me of Ebony and Ivory. Shoot them in DMC1 and they look and sound like they could put a hole in the earth and hit just as hard. Big ass fully custom 1911s. Then you play DmC and they are tiny little twisted up Baretta's that sound like Cap Guns and can barely stop the wind. 

This reminds me of a small gripe I have with the Gears franchise... I am not sure what happened, but the gun sounds and effects aren't hard-hitting anymore in the later games.... like the people who work on that franchise now either don't care much for firearms stuff or never bother to conceptualize or research how to really "sell" that effect of badass guns and violence in a game.  The guns in Gears 5 sound like you're shooting spitballs and green peas in comparison to the guns from the older Gears games....some of them actually sound like you're hitting enemy targets with a rapid fire paintball gun.  I still enjoyed the hell out of Gears 5 but that's sad.

...and once again I'd like to tell them in person----sure would be nice if they could remember this franchise exists, *hint hint*....it's been some YEARS since Gears 5, guys....c'mon now...

Edited by MillionX
4 hours ago, RSG3 said:

Just need to up your sound system game lol.

God of War, The Last of Us, Uncharted, etc...

All of those have incredible sound in the combat.  At least on my system they sound great.

Nothing has worst sound engineering than the Netherrealms MK/IJ games though.  Those are god awful.

15 minutes ago, purbeast said:

I don't disagree but those are also kind of the exceptions to the rule, they have amazing sound engineering across the board. I was also talking in a broad generality I will admit, Witcher 3 has great sound work for combat, the Darksiders games where pretty good about this over all. It's not like none of them can, but it seems a lot of them, or at least those in the mid level development can't seem to really nail it. Weak wet sounding hit effects and lacking impact....

Your right tho, it's not all of them. You're also right that NRS sound design is awful lol. 

Edited by RSG3
7 minutes ago, purbeast said:

Just need to up your sound system game lol.

All of those have incredible sound in the combat.  At least on my system they sound great.

Nothing has worst sound engineering than the Netherrealms MK/IJ games though.  Those are god awful.

They aren't that bad...

Nevermind... 👀