Stage Select

Video Game Discussion Thread vol. 2

2 hours ago, Sonichuman said:

The unfortunate thing is that there are definitely people that will easily separate themselves emotionally out what they're watching if it's not live action and the Venn diagram for those type of people probably overlap a good chunk with the same type of people who thumb their nose down at anything that doesn't use realistic graphics in games regardless of the subject matter or context.  It's really a weird thing in the brain.

It gives the same energy of the people behind Halo saying that they didn't play the games to make their story.

30 minutes ago, Hecatom said:

It took me years to make people know that if they will give me anything, they should just give me money.
I don't want anything else than money so I can spend it on what I want or need.

Yea my Dad gives me a $100.

Edited by RSG3
5 hours ago, DangerousJ said:

Did anyone get any video games for Xmas?

I got TMNT Shredder's Revenge and Last of US 2 on PS4. Both are physical versions. 

Surprisingly, the turtles game came with a Pizza Hut personal pan coupon like the NES port of the Arcade game

have not taken advantage of the steam xmas sale yet. but i'll list whatev i get soon. it ends jan 5th i think.

11 hours ago, Sonichuman said:

Well...there was a shout out in the comments for it but it was against....not for

There are a couple people who feel otherwise and say Castlevania was the first recent strike.

Reading that person's tweets and he's a moron. He is putting Castlevania on there for not being a 1:1 adaption. If the show did that there wouldn't be 4 seasons.

1 hour ago, Sonichuman said:

Agree.  Kinda reminds me of the one guy who was upset that Grant Danasty wasn't in the show and he was the only person who cared.

There's a contingent of hipsters in the CV community now that claim to like games & characters that have traditionally not gotten as much shine as the more popular stuff. Grant was basically ignored for the longest time by the community because he was the least relevant/interesting spirit helper in Castlevania 3 in terms of lore, and while I like him, even I have to admit, he's a footnote character who probably would have only had a footnote role in the series, and should not have been a priority character.

Edited by DoctaMario
15 minutes ago, DoctaMario said:

There's a contingent of hipsters in the CV community now that claim to like games & characters that have traditionally not gotten as much shine as the more popular stuff. Grant was basically ignored for the longest time by the community because he was the least relevant/interesting spirit helper in Castlevania 3 in terms of lore, and while I like him, even I have to admit, he's a footnote character who probably would have only had a footnote role in the series, and should not have been a priority character.

The show eventually ended up giving us Grant with Greta. I like her better

2 hours ago, Sonichuman said:

Agree.  Kinda reminds me of the one guy who was upset that Grant Danasty wasn't in the show and he was the only person who cared.

Grant Danasty is an essential character to the Castlevania franchise. Netflix and Konami need to apologize for his exclusion from the series. In Japan they have honor. The Japanese will not watch or support this show and if they refuse to do so, they will suffer the wrath of the fanbase.....I can't do it 🤣🤣🤣

For reference...

Grant is a character that frustrates me for the very minor detail of his goofy ass last name... "Danasty".  C'mon, man... they should've come up with something better than that.  It sounds like the line name of a fraternity guy at an HBCU.... "Whaddup Big Dawg #3 G....Da NASTYYYYY!"  Maybe it's just me that thinks that but it's a thing that obviously clashes with the tone of the game for me when I see that name.  I would've liked the character otherwise though.

The numbers for G4TV on tv were even worse btw... I didn't know it was on tv as well; I thought it only came back as a youtube channel

Edited by MillionX
1 hour ago, Darc_Requiem said:

Grant Danasty is an essential character to the Castlevania franchise. Netflix and Konami need to apologize for his exclusion from the series. In Japan they have honor. The Japanese will not watch or support this show and if they refuse to do so, they will suffer the wrath of the fanbase.....I can't do it 🤣🤣🤣

For reference...

I'm sorry sir...did you just fill a wine glass full of milk?

39 minutes ago, Hecatom said:

Wow, the new Witcher spinoff surely proved us wrong in that the showrunner and writers don't love and respect the source material 🤣

/S

What a fucking shitshow.

This is what they can come up with when they don't have a source material to piggyback and mutilate while "adapting" it.

I wanted to watch it as it has Michelle Yeoh. Is it season 2 bad or is it worse? 

4 minutes ago, Hawkingbird said:

I wanted to watch it as it has Michelle Yeoh. Is it season 2 bad or is it worse? 

It's being panned by critics and fans. Last I checked it had a 38% with Critics and an 8% with fans.

Edit: Well good news and bad news. The fan rating improved to 11% the Critic rating dropped to 33%

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/tv/the_witcher_blood_origin/s01

39 minutes ago, Hawkingbird said:

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY worse!!!

Believe me.

Terrible writing, terrible wardrobe, terrible makeup, terrible sets, terrible cgi, terrible fight coreography, terrible story that is dumb as fuck and rushed without any sense of logic, absolutely terrible characters and really bad acting by basically everyone in the screen.

You are better not wasting any minute on it.

But if you must, don't watch it on netflix and go to piratebay + instead.

Hatewatching this shit will only bring the numbers up and embold them to do more garbage like this.

Michelle Yeoh is not only wasted, but makes her feel like an amateur actress.

Like if they filmed her when doing a test and said, perfect lets keep it, it wouldn't get any better.

The only thing I get from this spinoff, is that this is the Witcher series that the showrunner and writers really want to make, that this is what they want the series to be if not because they are bound to the source material (and barely).

Reminder, this is pure "fan" fiction, without any tie to the actual books and without any input from Sapkowski.

Also, is not a B team, it is the same team behind the series.

So is not like HoD where Martin was involved and helped the showrunners with the story, and was actually using established lore.

This series actually makes RoP look better, not by much, but...

I am still undecided if Willow is still worse. (That series has the same problems and some, but it is upped in my disdain because the 2 leads are horrible actresses, why Disney has such a hardon for the ginger plank of wood is beyond me, she is a bad actress and such a charisma blackhole, which makes their decisions of putting her on roles where the character a leader even more hilariously baffling.)

Is clear why the series was dropped without any promotion and why it was cut from 6 episodes to 4, Netflix knew they had a bomb on their hands and were simply cutting their loses.

I really think that this failure + the possibility of s3 bombing will make netflix cancel the series.

I don't see it going longer, and very likely not even up to s4.

S2 already had a steep decline in viewrship.

This series and Cavil leaving is not helping.

32 minutes ago, Darc_Requiem said:

It's being panned by critics and fans. Last I checked it had a 38% with Critics and an 8% with fans.

Edit: Well good news and bad news. The fan rating improved to 11% the Critic rating dropped to 33%

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/tv/the_witcher_blood_origin/s01

Last I checked, the series was positively review bombed by bots, but they barely improved the score up to 12%.

But after that is once again going down.

You can tell it is bots because the majority post basically the same thing, or a variation of the same phrase + u8se a similar name convention, and were never used for another review before this series.

Edited by Hecatom
2 hours ago, Hecatom said:

Wow, the new Witcher spinoff surely proved us wrong in that the showrunner and writers don't love and respect the source material 🤣

/S

What a fucking shitshow.

This is what they can come up with when they don't have a source material to piggyback and mutilate while "adapting" it.

This is a shame...I was kinda looking forward to watching it since it had Michelle Yeoh but I started hearing some negative stuff regarding it and now you.  I'll still give it a watch at some point but my expectations have dropped considerably.

1 hour ago, Sonichuman said:

This is a shame...I was kinda looking forward to watching it since it had Michelle Yeoh but I started hearing some negative stuff regarding it and now you.  I'll still give it a watch at some point but my expectations have dropped considerably.

My advice is the same as I told Hawkingbird.

If you really want to give it a try, watch the 1st episode on piratebay+ and decide for yourself if you will continue after that.

TBH, after the 2nd season I didn't have any kind of hope for anything related to the Witcher that involved Lauren Shmidt.

1st season was a good series, but a terrible adaptation, but the 2nd season is both a bad series and a terrible adaptation.

Even with the source material as the basis, they fucked up everything, the characters, the relationships, the story.

Them they losing Henry Cavill only cemented that notion. (Many people think he left for Superman, but that was a coincidence)

This series is them having to come up with everything all by themselves and it shows they are the type of people failing upwards.

This is dialogue from the show.

https://preview.redd.it/the-dialogues-in-blood-origin-are-embarrassingly-bad-v0-e85htkzm838a1.jpg?width=640&crop=smart&auto=webp&s=7c0cb7a37636aae12cea1c20c122b3916a6db863

Also, they made Eredin gay now, which besides being one of those changes, is quite dumb since they gave him a love interest, be gay or not is dumb.

(Reminder that his pursue of Ciri is so he can have a child with her.)

He is so out of character, but then again, this is them making haterfiction and trying to pass it as canon to very likely "fix" the series.

Also, this chick here

sophia-brown-freya-allan.png?w=790&f=977

She is supposedly Ciri's ancestor.

Edited by Hecatom
1 minute ago, Hecatom said:

My advice is the same as I told Hawkingbird.

If you really want to give it a try, watch the 1st episode on piratebay+ and decide for yourself if you will continue after that.

TBH, after the 2nd season I didn't have any kind of hope for anything related to the Witcher that involved Lauren Shmidt.

1st season was a good series, but a terrible adaptation, but the 2nd season is both a bad series and a terrible adaptation.

Even with the source material as the basis, they fucked up everything, the characters, the relationships, the story.

Them they losing Henry Cavill only cemented that notion. (Many people think he left for Superman, but that was a coincidence)

This series is them having to come up with everything all by themselves and it shows they are the type of people failing upwards.

This is dialogue from the show.

https://preview.redd.it/the-dialogues-in-blood-origin-are-embarrassingly-bad-v0-e85htkzm838a1.jpg?width=640&crop=smart&auto=webp&s=7c0cb7a37636aae12cea1c20c122b3916a6db863

Also, they made Eredin gay now, which besides being one of those changes, is quite dumb since they gave him a love interest, be gay or not is dumb.

He is so out of character, but then again, this is them making haterfiction and trying to pass it as canon to very likely "fix" the series.

Sapkowski is a bit anal. So I have a feeling this is a True Blood situation where the author has minimal to no input. I can't see him letting this type of stuff fly based on the personality he seems to have.

Just now, Darc_Requiem said:

Sapkowski is a bit anal. So I have a feeling this is a True Blood situation where the author has minimal to no input. I can't see him letting this type of stuff fly based on the personality he seems to have.

He has 0 input on it.

It is a complete original story from the team behind the series.

It contradicts lore and rules.

6 minutes ago, Darc_Requiem said:

I'd rather not have the money. 

I wouldn't be surprised that he was promised one thing when they started the project, but there was a catch that allowed them to change the rules in their favor.

As I see it, this is perhaps in part hubris from the showrunner and writers thinking they can do better or wanting to inject ideas they never were able to put out there, emboldened because the series was a considerable success.

And Netflix needing to make the adaptations distinct enough so they can have more ownership and be able to do whatever they want.

After all, original stories probably allow them to not pay royalties and og chars allows them to have full control on merchandise and profits from them.

It is a pattern that plagues all their series.

Look at RE, Cowboy Bebop, and the upcoming Avatar The Last Airbender, which I am amazed they are still going with it after all the failures, the same with the announced One Piece series.

BTW, word out there is that this is supposedly setting or helping explain stuff in S3, which if true, then it clues us on that the next season will be less faithful to the source material.

Edited by Hecatom

Something I forgot to add because I rather forget about it, is that the shitshow decides to make the 1st Witcher an Elf, which contradicts everything already established by the lore, where the witchers were created after the Conjunction to fight the monsters that came into the world due the corruption.

This is something explicitly stated in books and games, and this series is pre Conjuction.

They were created by Alzur.

That alone makes it stupid, but the fact that it is an Elf, jesus, which btw, the elves in this series behave nothing like the elves in the world of the witcher.

They are just humans with pointy ears. With all the flaws from the humans.

Not the nature loving philosophers established in the books and lore.

Edit

MFW the old Polish show is still better than the multi million "adaptation"

Edit 2

This show was a teenagers dnd group that went completely off the rails.

Edit 3

The only good actress in the show is the dwarf.

Edit 4

What irks more about the change of making Eredin gay is that his whole motivation of pursuing Cirir is to have children with her to secure the elder blood and reintroduce it to the elven race.

This is how you know those fuckers have not read a single page from the books, not even a fucking wikia.

Edited by Hecatom
1 hour ago, RSG3 said:

Yea man Forbidden West was dope. Sure it wasn't perfect but I really don't get why people are so damn hard on this series, they are awesome games. 

Anyway my girl got me an Xmas gift. 

20221229_183303.jpg

I haven't really seen too many people be hard on the series, I've seen people here make mention of flaws they didn't like but I always got the impression that most still thought the game was great.  Most talk when it comes to Horizon is just the horrible luck it has in releasing it's games.  Horizon 3 will be out for PS5 4-5 years from now and it'll be the year that Last of Us 3,  Metal Gear Solid remake, GTA 6, Fable reboot 2,  and the next Zelda on Nintendo's new hard ware will be out in the same year.    Horizon 3 will come out  and Sonic Mania 2 will be out the same year.  That's how much bad luck I think they have lol.

Holiday over, back on the DS1 Grind. Episodes 9 and 10.  Finally aquire the weapon ive been working all game towards, the Moonlight Great Sword.

Edit: This just finished uploading as well. Been watching Sajams channel a bunch recently and with the new patch got me interested in the game again so I re-download it and purchased Bridget. She looked really fun. This is my second day at it. My brother is the one running Baiken. He's played her for years but the whole tether mechanic is new to him (and me as well, fucks with my own combos to.) 

Edited by RSG3