Stage Select

Video Game Discussion Thread vol. 2

So a few weeks ago, I'm playing Splatoon 3. This player on the opposing team is just standing there. So I'm shooting him for days and he isn't getting splatted. Then it hits me: the connection is unstable. Then it really hits me: I'm dreaming. Dreams where you know it's a dream are kinda the worst but... Even  when I sleep, I am not safe from unstable connections in Splatoon 3!

Splatoon 3: Reginald, you actually thought you could get away from me while catching Zs? Nah, son, I'm living in your head AND your dreams, rent free!

41 minutes ago, RegH81 said:

So a few weeks ago, I'm playing Splatoon 3. This player on the opposing team is just standing there. So I'm shooting him for days and he isn't getting splatted. Then it hits me: the connection is unstable. Then it really hits me: I'm dreaming. Dreams where you know it's a dream are kinda the worst but... Even  when I sleep, I am not safe from unstable connections in Splatoon 3!

Splatoon 3: Reginald, you actually thought you could get away from me while catching Zs? Nah, son, I'm living in your head AND your dreams, rent free!

There was a time where I was dreaming that I was driving a car (probably a super car or something since I was playing Burnout Paradise remaster at the time) when I hit the median barrier and overturned, at that moment I thought damn, this is my end, then just as the car hit the ground I am removing a vr headset and immediately I knew I was dreaming, since I know for a fact you can't die on dreams, and when you do your brain immediately changes the scenario, like putting you on another place, or being an spectator to the person who died, this immediately turned the dream into a lucid dream where I started doing dumb shit until I woke up.

I bought dead cells. This is the second rouge like game I've played (the first being rouge legacy which I didn't like at all). Just in the opening minutes it shitted on rouge legacy for me.

I like how snappy and fast the gameplay is. Once I understand this game it feels like this game could be one I would be able to Speedrun. Hope there are things that carry over with each run as that's the one thing I hated the most about Rouge legacy. IIRC, only money carried over between runs and I never got a lot of it. I'm hoping I can get some weapons, spells, upgrades or whatever to carry over to keep me going. Starting from zero each time I get old for me quick.

yeah with Dead Cells, the weapons, rune-abilities and items (and there's an insane # of weapons/items to unlock) you unlock are unlocked permanently.  Rune abilities are things like being able to break certain floors with your stomp, or clinging to walls, using teleporters, etc.  There's also different enemies and items/weapons to unlock on the higher difficulties.  The difficulty is also harsh but fair/understandable a good 99% of the time, imo.  It's one of my most played games...and it took a long time just making it up to even 3 and 4-cell difficulty.    

Got the RE3 remake during the autumn Steam sale, started playing it a week ago. I didn't play the original, so the omissions that bugged veterans didn't affect me. It's short, but I had fun with it, already went back through a few more times since it's quick to zip through once you know what you're doing- unlocks make replays fun also. Probably would have felt short changed at full price when it was new, but at the $10-$20 mark it's a blast. Definitely wasn't as stressful or scary as the RE2 remake though- I didn't get that sense of dread the 2 remake beats into you.

Diablo---and that's another season completely conquered; I got that last conquest just now for beating GR 45 with no set items on hardcore mode.... it was a bit tense since I don't think the character was *really* ready for it yet (LoD gem at rank 30-something but only 2 of my items were ancients; the rest were "regular" legendary gear; no tier 10 "flawless" gems equipped) but I went on in there anyway....getting hit by elites or the boss was a possible 2-shot = death situation... but the attack power was good enough to kill things fast, and I crushed that boss right away when it showed up. (Land of the Dead then constant corpse explosions)  The hardcore character is paragon 130-something now; non-hardcore is paragon 819.  

...would've been nice if they added the Druid to D3 at some point; I enjoyed what I played of D2 as Druid so far....between these 2 games, D3 has the more interesting, generally faster-paced start....though I'll admit it *could* be some bias there since I've played it for so many years now that I know how to get a character built up as fast as possible.

Just beat FF7R. Man, what a fun game. I’m really glad I gave it a second chance. 

It felt really limited in a lot of ways but narrowing the scope of gameplay to broaden the story and narrative is a payoff I’ll happily take. 

Also despite the limited materia pool and moves you could do a lot of really cool customization with builds and really personalize each character so they feel unique. I also liked the fact you can level up your weapons so they don’t feel worthless or throwaway. For instance even Cloud’s nail bat is useful as you can  just turn Cloud into a critical hit monster with a massive HP stat. 

I tried hard mode and it was smooth sailing until I got to scorpion mech and was like “oh…oh….oh no.” As I forgot about not being able to use items. 😂

Probably take a break before I play the yuffie expansion but yeah. Awesome time. 

Edited by iStu X

Yeah "Dark" was definitely a heartbreaker...I remember how I wanted that to be good since it was another oddly *rare* case back then where the player gets to be a vampire...but the more I found out about the game as I researched it, the more disappointed I was.  The main thing that put me off is that it's forced stealth....I don't like that being a thing in any game.  Stealth should be an optional thing for how to progress through a game....as opposed to your only way....and the fact that you can't simply steal the guns from the guards is just stupid (*probably either laziness on the developer's part, or it's that way to keep the player forced into stealth being your only way to handle enemies, instead of easily gunning everyone down).  There's a bit of this problem in the recent Werewolf game, but fortunately it's just in the beginning.  

...but yeah if they at least had more options besides the stealth, I would've bought that game and probably enjoyed it.

1 hour ago, iStu X said:

Oh, also regarding FF7R: Shoutout to Rufus Shinra for having the best boss fight in the game. I LOVED his Gun-Fu inspired move set. Crazy, crazy, crazy fun boss fight. 

Yea, he's probably my favorite boss in the game as well. His moveset is amazing, he makes Johnny's coin tosses look pedestrian, and his swag is off the fuckin charts. 

Hey @Darc_Requiem  you play also on PC, right? Can you tell me if this is a good PC? I want to buy a new one. Have $1.500 budget for it. Not looking to build my own. This will be for work, and SF6 and SCV. Not gonna be playing any FPS games at 4K 240 fps or ultra high settings. Read from the reviews it can get a little hot but... it's fine?

Also, how do I know which battery surge protector supports it?

https://bestbuy.7tiv.net/QO71nY

Edited by AriesWarlock
1 hour ago, AriesWarlock said:

Hey @Darc_Requiem  you play also on PC, right? Can you tell me if this is a good PC? I want to buy a new one. Have $1.500 budget for it. Not looking to build my own. This will be for work, and SF6 and SCV. Not gonna be playing any FPS games at 4K 240 fps or ultra high settings. Read from the reviews it can get a little hot but... it's fine?

Also, how do I know which battery surge protector supports it?

https://bestbuy.7tiv.net/QO71nY

This is a good PC for gaming. Though the fan config on is odd. Why is it a negative configuration when the side fans can be intake?  What do you do for work? 

He's a similarly spec'd ibuypower for $100 cheaper

https://www.ibuypower.com/store/gaming-rdy-slhbg220

Edited by Hawkingbird
53 minutes ago, Sonichuman said:

Thanks to my wife and my family, I am now finally a part of the PS5 army.  They gave me Returnal and Elden Ring  (which my brother in law can't seem to tell when I'm saying something from an objective stand point since he thought I was over the moon about the game but I have it now...may as well give it a shot).   Can't wait to hook this up to the 4K tv at home and see how everything looks on it!  Also gonna have to start looking into SSDs now.

If you wanna co-op in Elden Ring or something you know where to find me. Congrats on PS5 bro. 

Also if you wanna really see the new load times I highly recommend claiming your free PS5 upgrade to FF7R. It runs at a solid 60FPS and the loads times are mind blowing. 

Edited by RSG3