Stage Select

Video Game Discussion Thread vol. 2

Just now, J-ride said:

The Wheel of time adaptation is another good example of this.  Why be part of something like that if you hate the source material?

Or the Halo series, though in that one is more like didn't care to even see what it was about rather than hate, since they proudly stated that the showrunners and writers never played the games.

As to why be part f something like that?

Is simple, that way they can inject the ideas of projects they have worked on but have never been able to get them greenlit.

The Halo show and the Resident Evil neflix series have shown this, the former being a generic "scifi" tale about a chosen one on a war with aliens and the later being a reused skeleton script that was also used on a Walking Dead spinoff.

Is easier to get your ideas out if you piggyback on already established franchises.

ha, as long as this season has been going on... I didn't even know to use the angelic crucibles on puzzle rings until now...it makes the ring technically an "ancient" which means the Vault you open with it is wayyyy more lucrative..... this has suddenly become a relevant issue in the game due to the holiday event that just started on Friday (goblins occasionally drop "presents" which have a lot of good stuff, including extremely rare wing cosmetics and pets)...

On another note though ---haha I just hooked up my old Gamecube and oh yes---it STILL works just fine!  I see my Viewtiful Joe save file info shows the last time I played it was the afternoon of 10/02/2005.  I still have all my games, I think... oh yeah I'm already loading up Phantasy Star Online...

Oh yessssss it WORKS

the memories... I haven't seen this on my tv or played it in such a long time

Pro Wrestling Crying GIF by ALL ELITE WRESTLING

Edited by MillionX
On 12/17/2022 at 4:34 PM, AriesWarlock said:

Lauren S. Hissrich, the showrunner on Netflix's The Witcher series, has responded to claims that some of the writers "actively dislike" Andrzej Sapkowski's books and CD Projekt Red's games. https://bit.ly/3uEthVQ

319558431_702336551548153_73440013721107

Yeah well the guy that wrote the Vesemir prequel, Beau DeMayo, says differently. Nightmare of the Wolf was good, unlike season 2. So it implies he actually respects the source material. Miss Hissrich, Season 2 disproves your statement.

Edited by Darc_Requiem

This game is real fuckin' weird...kinda fun though.

Any of you ever play GRIME?  DLC for it dropped the other day.  Gonna check it out today.  The game is pretty dope.

I'm still playing Ghost Song, this one will probably take me a while to finish.  I'd recommend it to anyone that likes metroidvania type games.  I'm switching between that ghost song, the knight witch, high on life and the callisto protocol...with a little repetendium and synthetik mixed in here and there.

1 hour ago, Wellman said:

We really going to judge people's truthfulness based on the quality of major media adaptation? 

Given the two people referenced, yes. They both worked The Witcher for Netflix. One wrote a faithful adaptation of the material Nightmare of the Wolf and was also a writer on the live action series (Beau DeMayo.) The other is the showrunner (Lauren Hissrich) for the live action series that isn't faithful to the source material. 

This isn't randos speculating on the situation. It's two people with direct knowledge of the situation. They have conflicting takes on the situation. Yet we can look at their work and determine if they are being truthful. Miss Hissrich says what Beau says isn't true. Yet the show she's running says otherwise. Before Beau's interview there were complaints about the adaption after Season 2. Look at any of Cavill's interviews. He's very diplomatic but it's clear the show was diverging too far for the source material for his liking. 

Edited by Darc_Requiem
32 minutes ago, DangerousJ said:

I'm glad Beau DeMayo is the showrunner of X-men '97.

DeMayo strikes me as the type as Matt Youngberg and Francisco Angones, the people behind the Ducktales 2017.

You can see on their work that they have a respect and understanding of the properties they have adapted.

Pursuing a balance between bringing both new ideas, but also trying to keep what made great the works they are adapting, respecting the themes.

22 hours ago, Hawkingbird said:

The new transformers game might be a hero shooter

4aeea699-54ad-4618-b3ce-0a3dbee3ab38-jpe

TBH, It doesn't suprise me, since the IP lends itself to this kind of game very easily and if done right, it can be big.

The bad thing is that we all know that we will see many of the fan favorites interpretations of characters being relegated as cosmetics, and knowing the current trends on the industry, they will be likely expensive from 10 to 20 bucks 😕

Just now, iStu X said:

Honestly it’s even more than $75usd. It’s actually over $100 due to the $25 shipping and sales tax. 

Adding the extra costs on my side, for P.O. Box and costs for introduction, it would end around $150 easily.

Is it supposed to be a "collectors edition"  thing.

Because it sounds like they will sell it in limited quantities.

Edited by Hecatom
27 minutes ago, Lantis said:

I definitely remember SF II Turbo being around the $70 mark. Those stores knew the hype was coming

The games that cost more back in the day weren't because of hype just to get more money from us, it was because they physically had more memory in them so they cost more to manufacture.

The same thing with N64.  Some games were more than others.  And I remember specifically with N64 you could physically feel the difference in weight in games that had more memory in them.

5 minutes ago, purbeast said:

The games that cost more back in the day weren't because of hype just to get more money from us, it was because they physically had more memory in them so they cost more to manufacture.

The same thing with N64.  Some games were more than others.  And I remember specifically with N64 you could physically feel the difference in weight in games that had more memory in them.

Really? I know SSF II was not around the same price range as Turbo even though SSF had more memory than Turbo?

I dunno about DKC, but I did know Super Metroid and Chrono Trigger still commanded high prices (all of them were 32 MB)

So you all got me on a little google search and I came across this cool site that shows the PCB's for SNES games.  It's interesting to see the different designs.  

https://snescentral.com/index.php

Looks like SF2 used a different one than SF2T and SSF2T, and Star Ocean is known to be a larger game, uses a totally different design.

I thought I remembered reading that games cost more because of more memory, but it could also be due to the components inside.  SF2T and SSF2T clearly have more ROM chips inside of it than SF2, as well as other components, and then Star Ocean has a totally different design with a battery as well.

SF2:

SNS-S2-0-pcb-front-9249.jpg

SF2T:

SNS-TI-1-pcb-front-9339.jpg

SSF2T:

SNS-XW-0-pcb-front-9425.jpg

Star Ocean:

SHVC-ARFJ-0-pcb-front-9627.jpg

EDIT:

And here is DKC:

SNS-8X-1-pcb-front-9443.jpg

Edited by purbeast
9 hours ago, purbeast said:

I recall Nintendo charging a high licensing fee back then as well, I think it was $15 per cartridge. It's why Genesis titles were usually a bit cheaper. That fee (which publishers are bitter about) coupled with cartridge costs and low available storage vs cd's were big drivers in Sony crushing the N64 commercially.

It's strange...and sad that there's some gamers out there that are so damn lazy they'd rather pay for content as opposed to earning it like the good ol' days... yep, I happen to know someone who was like that....e.g.--"man, I wish they'd just put those cosmetics up for sale." -referring to things like the cosmetic wings in D3 (since he didn't want to do the "work" of just playing the damn game...come to think of it; he never really did).  It's disgusting, and that kind of attitude is why the industry is going the way it is right now; the suits in the game dev/publishing companies certainly love it, I'm sure. (e.g.---"oh...they'd rather spend money on this shit they used to get in-game for free?  Well alright then...niiice.")

Ancient Vaults in D3 are insane payouts---I wasn't even really aware of these until recently; didn't know you get a "different" (and better) Vault if the puzzle ring is ancient.... people are running those as much as possible due to the holiday event at the moment.  The payout I noticed on my most recent one was so crazy; yep I took note of it ---- 388,144,763 gold on a Torment 16 difficulty Ancient Vault... with the usual crafting materials including 202 Death Breaths.

Sheet GIF

Edited by MillionX