Stage Select

Video Game Discussion Thread vol. 2

1 hour ago, Skort said:

Bruh...idk if i'm the only one who dislikes this but check this out.

So, i'm playing Forza Horizon 5, fun game, cool cars, cool zones, lots to explore but what i personally dislike is how much NPCS constantly talk to you and most of all kiss your ass 24/7 , you're fantastic, the best , radical ,nobody can compare, i can't believe how awesome you are...... . The fact that they made pretty much all adults in the game act like they are 16 year olds after 10 red bull drinks doesn't make it better either.

I mean, it's a racing game you don't expect any kind of decent story ( sadly ) but can they make these guys more cringy ? Just lol....

Having that said, the game itself IS fun but held back by those dumb design decisions.

Sounds like NFS Unbound. I actually got it on PC for a little over $40, if had to pay $70 I would have waited. I wish the would people STFU sometime in that game. I'm driving along listening to someone yammer on. Meh. 😑

Edited by Darc_Requiem
14 minutes ago, Darc_Requiem said:

Sounds like NFS Unbound.

I watched some gameplay of Unbound and i agree, it suffers from the same thing to an extent. Same thing with NFS Payback if i recall, i have not tried Heat.

I think a more modern NFS game than did not suffer from this was NFS Hot Pursuit 2010 or NFS The Run. Can't quite remember.

7 minutes ago, Skort said:

I watched some gameplay of Unbound and i agree, it suffers from the same thing to an extent. Same thing with NFS Payback if i recall, i have not tried Heat.

I think a more modern NFS game than did not suffer from this was NFS Hot Pursuit 2010 or NFS The Run. Can't quite remember.

I own Heat. I don't remember it being a big issue in that game but I haven't played it in a while. Honestly, it's early, but I'm disappointed with Unbound so far. Maybe things will pick up, I'm still in what seems like the tutorial phase. I liked Heat a lot, the only real issue I had with Heat was that the upgrades costs too much. I stopped playing after finishing the story because I got sick of the grind. Which sucks because Heat let you do engine swaps and the like. 

4 minutes ago, RSG3 said:

Hot Presuit D had no announcers. Yoy could hear the cops over the radio but that was it. 

Game was made by Criterion, probably has something to do with it. 

NFS Unbound was developed by Criterion.

5 minutes ago, Sonichuman said:

Oh they actually had this in Bayo 3?  I haven't gotten far enough.

Yeah you have to beat the game first. Buy a book from Rodin's shop. Then collect three keys. They are hidden in three separate stages. When you get all three keys, it unlocks the book and you get to play, what I now know, is a prologue to Bayonetta: Origins. I ran through it to unlock that outfit for her in the main game.

This is so fucking facts it's hilariously painful. Every other developer bending over backwards to focus test their games into Oblivion and Miyazaki over here like "Fuck what you like, this is what I like, play it or don't, I don't give a shit."

Walks away with best director awards n shit lmao. 

Edited by RSG3
4 hours ago, Darc_Requiem said:

Sounds like NFS Unbound. I actually got it on PC for a little over $40, if had to pay $70 I would have waited. I wish the would people STFU sometime in that game. I'm driving along listening to someone yammer on. Meh. 😑

I was interested on that game, but seeing the selection of cars kind of shooed me away.

Only a few selection super/hyper cars that I like, and the list of super/hyper are boosted by having multiple variations of the same model.

1 hour ago, RSG3 said:

This is so fucking facts it's hilariously painful. Every other developer bending over backwards to focus test their games into Oblivion and Miyazaki over here like "Fuck what you like, this is what I like, play it or don't I don't give a shit."

Walks away with best director awards n shit lmao. 

8 minutes ago, Hecatom said:

I was interested on that game, but seeing the selection of cars kind of shooed me away.

Only a few selection super/hyper cars that I like, and the list of super/hyper are boosted by having multiple variations of the same model.

I became more interested in the game after seeing it's art direction. I love the look of the game. I hear it's an arcade racer which is makes it all the sweeter. Shame about the piss poor car selection. 

5 minutes ago, Hawkingbird said:

I became more interested in the game after seeing it's art direction. I love the look of the game. I hear it's an arcade racer which is makes it all the sweeter. Shame about the piss poor car selection. 

Same for me, the art style picked my interest, since is something that I didn't saw EA doing, but the focus on tuner and the meager selection of exotic cars is a turn off.

Of all the tuner era games, I think only MW and Carbon have been of my complete liking.

After some few races I tested with the account of a friend, the game doesn't feel bad, but is clear that they want you to play a lot of races to tune cars to be able to advance and want you to also focus on keeping few cars in your collection, instead of unlocking every car to use at your leisure.

Gonna wait now for when is made available for PSN+ in 4 months like a friend of mine said that always happens, lol.

4 hours ago, Darc_Requiem said:

NFS Unbound was developed by Criterion.

Yeah, but the current Criterion is a husk of itself, a studio in name only, since none of the people who worked on the Burnout series or the 2 NFS games are there anymore, not even the people who helped with Rivals are there.

NPD November 2022

https://www.linkedin.com/posts/matpiscatella_a-surge-in-playstation-5-hardware-supply-activity-7006981640648368128-7he3/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=member_desktop

https://venturebeat.com/games/november-2022-npd-god-of-war-sonic-and-pokemon-chart-high/

Hardware:  PS5 has continued to hold the throne for 1st in both dollar sales and in units.  Switch is 2nd for both.  "What does that mean for..??" Don't ask questions to which you already know the answers.  PS5 is the best selling hardware platform still for 2022 in terms of dollar sales, Switch leads in units for the year.

A majority of titles that release in Nov charted top 5, they couldn't overthrow CoD for the top spot though.  One thing you will notice is that there's a certain action game that released at the tail end of Oct that did not chart unfortunately...She didn't even chart on the top 10 Nintendo chart either.  I missed the NPD for October apparently because she did chart on Nintendo's chart at no. 2 and overall at 9 which is really not bad...but the major drop off is definitely concerning.   CoD released and not only did it take top spot for the month but it also has now taken top spot for most sold for the year.

Software

Top 20 November:  CoD: MWII 2022, Dad of War: Ragnarok, Pokemon Scar/Vi, Sonic Frontiers (eeeeeeeyyyyyy!!!), Dat Madden 23, FIFA 23, NBA 2K23,  Gotham Knights, Miles Morales, Mario Party Superstars, Elden Ring, Animal Crossing: NH, MK8D, Mario+Rabbids: Sparks of Hope, Persona 5, NHL 23, Tactics Ogre Reborn, Minecraft, Horizon: FW, LoZ: BotW.

Best selling games of 2022: CoD: MWII 2022, Elden Ring, Dat Madden 23, Lego Star Wars: TSS, Dad of War Ragnarok, Pokemon Legends: Arceus, Pokemon Scar/Vi, Horizon FW, FIFA 23, MLB The Show 22, CoD: Vanguard, Gran Turismo 7, MK8D, Kirby and the FL, Gotham Knights, Minecraft, NBA 2K23, Nintendo Switch Sports, Miles Morales, Animal Crossing: NH

Top 10 best selling games for last 12 months: CoD MWII 2022, Elden Ring, Dat Madden 23, Lego Star Wars: TSS, Dad of War Ragnarok, Cod: Vanguard, Pokemon Scar/Vi, Horizon VW, FIFA 23

Top 10 Nintendo: Pokemon Scar/Vi, Sonic Frontiers (nice!), Mario Party Superstars, Animal Crossing: NH, MK8D, Mario + Rabbids: Sparks of Hope, LoZ: BotW, Smash Ult, Splatoon 3, Nintendo Switch Sports

Top 10 Playstation: Dad of War Ragnarok, CoD MWII 2022, Dat Madden 23, FIFA 23, Sonic Frontiers (Game didn't do bad at all!), NBA 2K23, Miles Morales, Horizon FW, Gran Turismo 7

Top 10 Xbox:  CoD: MWII 2022, Dat Madden 23, FIFA 23, Sonic Frontiers (really not bad), Gotham Knights, NBA 2K23, NHL 23, Elden Ring, Forza Horizon 5,  CoD Blops CW

October NPD 2022

https://venturebeat.com/games/october-2022-npd-modern-warfare-2-nabs-gold-at-the-wire/

https://www.ign.com/articles/sony-sees-strong-start-to-holiday-period-as-playstation-5-tops-hardware-charts

Yeah I realized that I had missed this so figured I'll put this up as well.

Hardware:  PS5 was the highest selling platform for that month in both sales and units.  Xbox Series was actually in 2nd this month in both units and sales too. 

Highlights:  Persona 5 actually made a heck of a comeback selling on the other platforms and actually took 7th overall.  Looking at the individual platforms looks like Switch sales contributed a good chunk to this with it showing up 3rd on the platform.  Nier Automata also popped back up in the top 20 and based on the individual charts that seems to be mostly due to Switch sales.   Gotham Knights despite getting a lukewarm critical reception got 2nd that month.

Top 20 October:  Elden Ring, CoD MW2 2022, Lego Star Wars: TSS, Dat Madden 23, PL: Arceus, Horizon FW, MLB The Show 22, FIFA 23, CoD Vanguard, Gran Turismo 7, MK8D, Kirby and the FL, Minecraft, Gotham Knights, Nintendo Switch Sports, Saints Row 2022, Dat Madden 22, Smash Ult, FIFA 22, Miles Morales

Top 10 best selling games of the last 12 months:  Elden Ring, CoD Vanguard, CoD MW 2 2022, Lego Star Wars: TSS, Pokemon BD/SP, Dat Madden 23, Battlefield 2042, PL: Arceus, Horizon FW, Dat Madden 22

Top 10 Nintendo: Mario + Rabbids Sparks of Hope, Bayo 3, Persona 5,  MK8D, Splatoon 3, Nintendo Switch Sports. Smash Ult, Nier Automata, Pokemon BD/SP, PL: Arceus

Top 10 Playstation: CoD MW2 2022, Gotham Knights, FIFA 23, DAt Madden 23, NHL 23, NBA 2K23, Star Ocean: The Divine Force, PGTA Tour 2K23, TLoU Part 1, Elden Ring

Top 10 Xbox: CoD: MW 2 2022, Gotham Knights, Dat Madden 23, FIFA 23, NHL 23, NBA 2K23, CoD Blops CW, Elden Ring, Forza Horizon 5, Saints Row 2022

I finished God of War last night. I hadn't really come in here much because I saw people making posts about finishing it and it was way before I did so I didn't want to read anything that spoiled it.

Man oh man what an incredible awesome ride it was. Even the way the credits are done after you finish the main mission you can just tell the love that is poured into the game. And then after you beat it there are new missions that open up and after you complete one of em, you get the "real" credits with some awesome music. The climax of the game is like one of the best I can remember and lasts a long time. The last like 4-5 hours of the game are just non-stop action and the battles you encounter as well as the scenery and environments are just unreal. This and Elden Ring are definitely my favorite games of this past year. It's hard to say which I enjoyed more since they are just so different. One has this incredible story with very cinematic story telling, and one I couldn't tell you wtf the story is even about or anyone's name lol.

I would say I did have a few gripes with the game.

1. The Atreus parts were just tedius for the most part. I get that the point of them are mainly just to move the story along, but they dragged on a lot IMO, especially the first "long" one where you are basically doing chores and moving at a snails pace. It just dragged on way too long. Then when you get to Asgard for the first time I thought again it dragged on way too long, but I get that it was for story purposes.

2. The damn map. I hate the damn map in this game. I have how the circle with the direction isn't where you are - you are the dot BELOW it. It's just so confusing and I never got used to it, and the map just didn't feel to scale or something. I found it very hard to use the map and navigate how to get to some places based on trying to follow the map. I also wish you could drop way points or something to help you know where you have already been. It also is completely useless when you are underground or inside a mountain for instance.

3. Mystic gates - I just wish there were more of them on some realms. In some realms there just aren't enough of them and wasting time back tracking to spots when the map isn't very helpful, is just tedious and wasn't fun. For example there is an area east of Freyr's Camp that I was missing some stuff so I had to go back there and it just took forever to get there. Last night when I cut it off I am stuck inside one of the mountains on one of the realms and basically lost and not sure how the hell to get where I'm going. I know where I'm going I've been before since I see some stuff on the map, but I don't even remember going there since it was earlier in the game.

Again though, overall I loved the whole game and those are just some little gripes I had after putting 40+ hours into the game. Amazing experience.

9 minutes ago, purbeast said:

And then after you beat it there are new missions that open up and after you complete one of em, you get the "real" credits with some awesome music.

The answer to that riddle put me in an emotional well for about 10 minutes.

9 minutes ago, purbeast said:

1. The Atreus parts were just tedius for the most part.

This was my biggest complaint with the game. Something about the playstyle was honestly too easy. 

I did like that bow whipping move he had if you held R1. It was like he was whipping someone with a belt. You could almost hear him saying:

DIDN'T I

TELL YOU

TAKE YO'

MUTHA

FUCKING

ASS TO SLEEP?!

Ragnarok had its issues, but I loved it. I have to get into Elden Ring though; I've only played it a total of 1hr. Is there a good getting started guide out there the doesn't spoil much in terms of story or quest?

33 minutes ago, Chadouken said:

Honestly, man, I'd recommend getting super fucking blazed and going in blind.

This. Exactly this. It's an exploration game there isn't any way to tell you how to get started without spoiling. 

Real advice is check every corner and nook and crany. I have like 9 seperate builds, 3 are in NG+ and I found a cave just the other day I'd never seen before. There is stuff tucked away fucking everywhere. 

The other bit of advice is don't feel compelled to do everything the moment you find it. If you find a cave or catacombs and don't feel like doing it for whatever reason just activate the grace point and teleport back later when you're in the mood. Same if you get stuck on a boss. Just come back later when you're a bit buffer and fresher of mind. 

This game moves at your pace. Don't feel forced to do much of anything. Do it when you want to. 

Edited by RSG3
32 minutes ago, DangerousJ said:

Shots fired?

Bayo 3 starting out more open makes so much more sense looking at the environments in the game.  Glad Nintendo told them to cut it back if it wasn't working but that will make Bayo 4 more interesting  (which I didn't even know was announced as a possibility yet until this video) when it happens with the next console.

8 hours ago, purbeast said:

1. The Atreus parts were just tedius for the most part.

Real talk, the soon as I started an Atreus chapter, I used to finish my gaming session of the day, and even went a couple of days without playing with the only exception being the 1st time the game does it, dunno if it was me subconsciously not feeling it, lol, since I wasn't at conscious level thinking, man this is awful.

8 hours ago, OPTIMUS124 said:

This was my biggest complaint with the game. Something about the playstyle was honestly too easy. 

Agree, I think is not that it was his playstyle but the enemies being weakened and Atreus damage being boosted for said play sections. The playstyle could work well for an experience more in line with the Kratos sections, since everything it needs is there.

Which ties in with my original negative point aboiut the game making Kratos feel weak.

Edited by Hecatom