Stage Select

Video Game Discussion Thread vol. 2

3 hours ago, Sonichuman said:

YES SIIIRRRRR...  I've been waiting them to announce Seph for a long ass time.  I'll def pick up both Kaz and Seph.  I'll probably also pick up Pyra and Mythra whenever they come out.

If it helps Pyra/Mythra are releasing as a 2-pack in Japan. So I imagine the same thing will happen in the west 

Edited by iStu X

In case any of you are interested in an old 16 bit styled rpg, take a look at Chained Echos. I just started it today and it already has me hooked. So far it’s a more classic Final Fantasy medieval setting with warring nations that are at peace after a huge war for 150 years. Of course I very much doubt this peace will last that long. 

The battle system is turned based, but pretty fast and with some fun mechanics. The biggest mechanic is managing this bar to stay in the green overdrive area where you deal more damage, take less damage and spells cost less. The level up mechanic is also very different from the norm in that you don’t really gain levels but get points you can put towards battle skills, passive skills or flat stat boosts after you beat a section. It seems like overleveling is impossible at least in this early section which makes the battles more challenging. Thankfully, you heal after every battle because you have to use your skills as your main attack and they cost this game’s MP. Later on it looks like you gain access to mechs. 

Here’s a trailer for it:

Edited by JGreen
9 hours ago, JGreen said:

In case any of you are interested in an old 16 bit styled rpg, take a look at Chained Echos. I just started it today and it already has me hooked. So far it’s a more classic Final Fantasy medieval setting with warring nations that are at peace after a huge war for 150 years. Of course I very much doubt this peace will last that long. 

The battle system is turned based, but pretty fast and with some fun mechanics. The biggest mechanic is managing this bar to stay in the green overdrive area where you deal more damage, take less damage and spells cost less. The level up mechanic is also very different from the norm in that you don’t really gain levels but get points you can put towards battle skills, passive skills or flat stat boosts after you beat a section. It seems like overleveling is impossible at least in this early section which makes the battles more challenging. Thankfully, you heal after every battle because you have to use your skills as your main attack and they cost this game’s MP. Later on it looks like you gain access to mechs. 

Here’s a trailer for it:

I’ve heard really great things about chained echoes. It’s definitely on my radar. 

I noticed Gamestop is selling the Tiger handhelds, last time I went there (last weekend or so).

Cuphead--- it's going to be a long time before I ever beat Mortimer Freeze.  The 2nd phase with the ice cubes and popsicles flying around is completely insane.  He'll turn into a big snowball and roll or bounce over to the other side of the screen quickly....but you have to also be aware of the popsicles floating around...and the ice cubes that break into smaller ice cubes.  There's also the spikes that come up from the ground on occasion... so it's a near guarantee you WILL be hit by something in all that chaos.  This is another one I've been trying off and on for several hours now....and I've only made it to the final phase maybe 3 or 4 times total....almost always with just 1 hp remaining.  There's been exactly 1 time I made it to final phase with 3 hp.... and this stage is arguably even worse because there's multiple fireballs on screen as you jump from 1 tiny platform to another over a bottomless pit...as he also pops out 1 eye to float around as another stage hazard.  I've already swapped out my ultimate to the one that makes me invincible for 5 seconds and I'm still not even getting consistently close to beating this boss.  This one might be "Godskin Apostle from Elden Ring" territory here.

holiday cards from various 1st party Sony studios and 3rd party studios

https://blog.playstation.com/2022/12/15/seasons-greetings-2022-playstation-blog-and-friends/

People seem to think that Bluepoint is hinting at a game in development in their card since they have 3 games that the helped/worked on as referenced by open gift boxes and then there's one that isn't.

Spiderman 2's release window has been narrowed down to Fall 2023

^ This is the creative director at Insomniac

Diablo chronicles...

so my "death nova" Necro is much more of a tank at this point than any character I've made in this game...(I usually like going the glass cannon route in a lot of games)...I checked the stats at one point mid-battle and the defense points had gone up to 1.1 billion 😆  That's so far above what my characters' defense rating is normally it was hilarious to me at the time....I get a bonus from the blood-rush teleport through multiple enemies and some other bonuses I forgot about at the moment.  The one weakness of this death nova/Trag build though is the single-target damage.  You could get to the end of a high level GR and then take forever fighting the boss if there's no other enemies around (the build needs a crowd of enemies around to do its best damage).

...meanwhilein Cuphead late last night I managed to get so close to beating Mortimer one time at least... on the last phase I was able to dodge the floating eyeball attack but just not long enough to make it count; after the death I saw that my progress was right at the end, close to "KO!" time for Mortimer.

5 hours ago, MillionX said:

...meanwhilein Cuphead late last night I managed to get so close to beating Mortimer one time at least... on the last phase I was able to dodge the floating eyeball attack but just not long enough to make it count; after the death I saw that my progress was right at the end, close to "KO!" time for Mortimer.

I used Chalice and switched between chaser and boomerang.  I found this fight to be the second hardest in the DLC.  The Dog on the airplane repeatedly fucked me up with the screen flip mechanic.

31 minutes ago, J-ride said:

I used Chalice and switched between chaser and boomerang.  I found this fight to be the second hardest in the DLC.  The Dog on the airplane repeatedly fucked me up with the screen flip mechanic.

^yeah, that one was especially tough when the screen flips.  I consider it to be a fluke that I even got past that eventually... the other parts of the fight are fine, but the screen flip part makes it way more difficult.  

I need to get the other power-ups/items for sure... I have the lobber, spread-shot and the green homing shot, and those 3 supers + the dash move..... that dash has been so crucial; I can't imagine going through this game without it, really... it's such a strong asset in the player's options of what to do at any given moment.

...which seems like most games, actually.  Whenever there's a "fast dash" (or better yet a teleport) move I'm always going for that.  Dash and Teleport are 2 basic things in gaming that are just inherently top tier options, usually.

Edited by MillionX
2 hours ago, iStu X said:

Both links are still live. Just preordered mine at GameStop. 

Oh they up now?  Hope its still up when I get to my break.  Thanks for the heads up!

Edit: gottem.  Kazuya Amiibo sculpt looks pretty good from what I can see of it.  Seph's not bad either especially the detail on the wing cloak and pants.

Edited by Sonichuman
13 minutes ago, AriesWarlock said:

So this game is being developed by Ninja Gaiden ex-developers. I'll keep an eye on it

Sooo THAT'S WHYYYYYY this game was looking crazy in the trailers.  I didn't know what to make of this game from the trailers I saw cause it looked somewhat interesting but I didn't know what the hell was going on or what it was about and this trailer didn't help lol.

Yeah, I saw that River City Girls 2 was $40. That's a bit of a tough one to swallow. I got some eShop coins saved up but even then, I'm not sure I wanna use them for that.  

Mega Man Battle Network Legacy Collection is $60. Was kinda surprised to see that as every other Legacy Collecion has been $40 or under.

So I'm liking SF6 but damn I just need to understand/get all the mechanics.  I'm also not clicking fully with any of the characters in the beta.  I've been trying Luke which is a total different style than I'm used to, but my execution is just not that great.  I haven't played fighters in a while and it shows with execution.  I also am used to charge characters like Balrog so I'm hoping there is a rushdown charge character in the lineup when the game comes out.  It's a lot harder to fuck up charge character inputs then the QC characters.  I also think a lot of it is just my timing because I see myself missing combos and stuff with the last punch just not coming out or my finisher not coming out.  Again, just lack of execution on my part I think.  It definitely feels "heavier" than I'm used to but not that it's bad or anything.  Just different.

Offline, portable gaming awesomeness once again----today I had quite a long wait while the car maintenance was going on...of course I had the Switch with me... *unlike* the PC version of Diablo 3... I was able to play the Switch version of D3 perfectly fine in the waiting area, no online connection needed.  Every minute of that privilege was so delicious.  I suppose a pc D3 fanboy could theoretically use a laptop with that place's wifi signal (*a situation I don't quite trust, btw), but still... with Switch I just pull the system out of the case and hit that "home" button to wake it up.... and immediately get into some D3 greater rifts, no need to connect to anything.  I got quite a few GRs in with my necromancer; I forgot the off-season one has a build that isn't fully perfected but I made some good progress while waiting on my car.  I was going to play some TMNT as well but the wait wasn't as long as they said it would be.  Really, to me this ultimate freedom that the Switch provides is the ideal gaming situation.  You could be in the middle of nowhere and if that system still has a charge, you can play something.  I don't have to be connected for the games to be playable....that is how the fuck it should be.

Some years ago I had a car charger as well but that stopped working in about a year or 2... which is annoying to say the least since I'd expect a simple device like that to last quite a bit longer than 1 or 2 years.

Edited by MillionX
4 minutes ago, AriesWarlock said:

Lauren S. Hissrich, the showrunner on Netflix's The Witcher series, has responded to claims that some of the writers "actively dislike" Andrzej Sapkowski's books and CD Projekt Red's games. https://bit.ly/3uEthVQ

319558431_702336551548153_73440013721107

You only need to look at the 2nd season to know nothing said on the article holds true, the disdain to the source material is palpable.