Stage Select

Video Game Discussion Thread vol. 2

Speaking of Castlevania, Did the series ever adress why there was a time where the vampire killer was not in the hands of a Belmont?

The most they did, iirc was to say that the Belmont clan went missing or something during the events of Ecclesia, where they imply that the last one to use VK was Richter due the whip having its memories or something like that..

Edit

Also, dunno why I always confuse Harmony of Dissonance happening after Rondo instead of before.

Edited by Hecatom
12 minutes ago, Hawkingbird said:

Portrait of Ruin is my personal favorite Castlevania. Knowing it's a direct sequel to bloodlines I wish the game had a similar aesthetic to that game.

I like PoR a lot despite the art- I think it's the most fun of the SotN styled titles to go back and replay. The swapping gives a CV3 vibe, the music was mostly good  with a lot of lesser used classic tracks (I think the dumbass funhouse section was the only annoying track) you can get a more classic feel by sticking with whips, and it's Richter mode was more fun than the bonus character modes generally were. 

vids

Spoiler

extra

Also...LoZ: TotK got it's ESRB rating.  Of course that doesn't necessarily mean anything but if its anything like what happened with Bayo 3...there might be something coming in next month or so.  Would probably fall in line with that rumor Stu mentioned earlier of Direct possibly happening next month but of course grain of salt and all that.

11 hours ago, Hecatom said:

Speaking of Castlevania, Did the series ever adress why there was a time where the vampire killer was not in the hands of a Belmont?

The most they did, iirc was to say that the Belmont clan went missing or something during the events of Ecclesia, where they imply that the last one to use VK was Richter due the whip having its memories or something like that..

Edit

Also, dunno why I always confuse Harmony of Dissonance happening after Rondo instead of before.

Yeah Rondo happened and Rictor wanted to be an extra edge lord about it.
Later the Events of Casevania's twist on the Bram Stroker Dracula storty  Quincy Morris got the Vampie killer, handed it to John in Castlevania: Bloodlines, then Jonathan in Portrait of Ruin. Ecclesia even delve into how the Belmont clan was lost and replacements were being searched for.

So I got around to re-installing my data for Smash Ultimate; I haven't played this in a long time; about 1 or 2 years at least... I was pleasantly surprised to see my Mii characters are still in there! (on the system itself, all but 1 of the Miis were lost when I went to the new OLED)  So my crew of weird, nasty ass characters like Crackbaby, Hugh Janus, Jewcan Sam, etc.  are still on the roster!  I had already started remaking some on the system.

edit

A few games I took note of on psn lately, btw...

• Nobody Saves the World = 16.24! (this game being on sale is rare for some reason)
  • Senran Kagura = 11.99
  • Vampyr = 9.99
  • Miles Morales Spiderman = 19.99
Edited by MillionX

So I was playing The Evil Within 2 on Classic difficulty and for some reason the game decides to crash making me lose about 2-3 hours of progress (noted that in this difficulty setting there are no autosaves and you can only save the game 7 times throughout the whole game). This game has never crashed in any other difficulty but this one.

This game can fuck right off

6 hours ago, Lantis said:

So I was playing The Evil Within 2 on Classic difficulty and for some reason the game decides to crash making me lose about 2-3 hours of progress (noted that in this difficulty setting there are no autosaves and you can only save the game 7 times throughout the whole game). This game has never crashed in any other difficulty but this one.

This game can fuck right off

Thats real fear right there. A true horror game. 

Edited by RSG3
4 hours ago, DarkSakul said:

Later the Events of Casevania's twist on the Bram Stroker Dracula storty  Quincy Morris got the Vampie killer, handed it to John in Castlevania: Bloodlines, then Jonathan in Portrait of Ruin. Ecclesia even delve into how the Belmont clan was lost and replacements were being searched for.

Bloodlines made Quincy Morris a distant relative of the Belmont's. That's why he and his family had vampire killer in the 1900s. Since they weren't full blooded Belmonts the whip would drain their life force for using it. That's how John died and why Johnathan needed to fight the memory of the whip to unlock it's full power.

You got to love old games. They have the raddest glitches 😅. I discovered recently that there is an infinite XP exploit at the beginning of Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic. So, of course, I had to try it 😈. It's has took 5 hours but I am almost to max level 🤣

But wait, there's more...

There is an Xbox version exclusive glitch that allows you to trick the game into switching a desired characters class. Thus, when I reach max experience, I'll 'save' the level ups until I want to cross-class. Then I'll jump to Max level.

Stay with me, there is even more...

At a certain point, your character is forced to become a Jedi. Erasing your previous class. There is a problem though - the game can't recognize three classes at once. So, if you do it right and prevent a crash, the game erases the second class and reverts the character to the level they were at pre-glitch (in my case, 2). But, you keep all of the stats and abilities you acquired on level up. So, your character ends up reaching level 38, essentially. Bypassing the hard cap of 20.

Basically -

spacer.png

Edited by The Slick Tony
16 hours ago, Hecatom said:

Edit

Richter being possessed in the events of SoTN caused some kind of corruption that meant the Belmonts couldn't use the whip until a certain point in time, hence the Morris family became the custodians of it. Of course, since the Morris' weren't full blooded Belmonts, using the whip would sap them of their life force, which is how John Morris (a relative of Quincey Morris from Stoker's novel) met his end and why Johnathan can't use the VK in PoR until he defeats the Whip's Memory.

On a certain level I agree with @Camachobbecause I don't really like most anime/loli aesthetics. I love Deathsmiles, but almost in spite of the loli aesthetic it has, although outside of the characters themselves it isn't all that heavy. If we're talking anime, I prefer stuff with a darker tone (Hellsing, Vampire Hunter D, etc) but games with over the top anime aesthetics aren't usually things I got for.

With that said, there are so many games to play that I rarely ever think about it, unless it intersects with something I really like like Deathsmiles or Puyo Puyo Tetris (which, while it's a great Tetris game, I was relieved when Effect got released on Switch because the aesthetics of PPT are annoying.)

6 minutes ago, AriesWarlock said:

Depending on condition maybe....Can't say that I personally would buy an SNES for 600 unless it came with games but I don't know if that's because I actually own one.  If it was like brand new out of the box and I didn't have one?  I'd maybe consider it but it'd be only for potential reselling at a later date and wouldn't get opened.

Months later, and it seems that the fiasco of Saints Row was more fucked up than people knew.

Do you remember the team of reddit and discord mods that Volition thanked at the end of the game, and the community manager?

They were doxxing people they banned from the subreddit and discord server, people with the vast majority of them being just people expressing worries about the game or have mild negative comments about the game.

No wonder that chick went into hiding when she made the terrorist remarks about the fanbase 🤣

BTW, there are screenshots floating around of how those people were hoping that someone would go and rape them/their families once their info was made public.

And while I am not the type to care about rape jokes, I think that giving the context that is distasteful at least.

16 hours ago, DarkSakul said:

11 hours ago, Hawkingbird said:

Bloodlines made Quincy Morris a distant relative of the Belmont's. That's why he and his family had vampire killer in the 1900s. Since they weren't full blooded Belmonts the whip would drain their life force for using it. That's how John died and why Johnathan needed to fight the memory of the whip to unlock it's full power.

10 hours ago, DoctaMario said:

Richter being possessed in the events of SoTN caused some kind of corruption that meant the Belmonts couldn't use the whip until a certain point in time, hence the Morris family became the custodians of it. Of course, since the Morris' weren't full blooded Belmonts, using the whip would sap them of their life force, which is how John Morris (a relative of Quincey Morris from Stoker's novel) met his end and why Johnathan can't use the VK in PoR until he defeats the Whip's Memory.

Hmm, that is the thing, I am aware of most of this, except with the bit about after Richter being possessed during the events of SotN becoming corrupted to the point of the whole clan not being able to use the VK.

As far as I knew that was pseudo speculation from the part of the fans so they could made sense of the change of clan's protagonists, at least lore wise.

Since we all know that it was because before Iga, most games were handled by different people with different ideas of what they wanted to do, without much care to have a connecting narrative.

My question was mostly if besides those plot points on the games, if there was ever like some extra explanation, since going with OoE and PoR it makes it seem like the Belmont not only stopped being the users of the VK, but outright banish and stopped being vampire hunters, which lore wise, wouldn't make sense.

Since even if they couldn't use the VK, they still had magic abilities thanks to the Belnades blood lineage they had after Trevor married Silpha, hence why Juste and Richter were so magically adept when compared to past protagonists (with Juste being the most magically adept of all protagonists supposedly, perhaps due being taught directly from a Belnades) catapulting them to the top 3 strongest Belmonts/Vampire Killer users.

And since we don't have more games to go, we can only assume that it was just with Julius or near to him that the Belmont returned. Which lore wise, btw, is also implied that each passing generation of Belmonts is stronger than the previous one in terms of magic and strength, so, Julius being the strongest implies they still kept being vampire hunters to some capacity.

Tangent

BTW, Julius is still my fav Belmont, dunno why, perhaps is his design, combined with  the idea of him being the strongest of all, that with just an Item crash he destroyed Castevania and killed Dracula for good, making it seem that the 10 minute battle they had was mostly Dracula trying to survive.

DoS made me want more a game dedicated to him and the team when they faught Dracula and put an end to him for good.

Edited by Hecatom
1 hour ago, Hecatom said:

Hmm, that is the thing, I am aware of most of this, except with the bit about after Richter being possessed during the events of SotN becoming corrupted to the point of the whole clan not being able to use the VK.

As far as I knew that was pseudo speculation from the part of the fans so they could made sense of the change of clan's protagonists, at least lore wise.

Since we all know that it was because before Iga, most games were handled by different people with different ideas of what they wanted to do, without much care to have a connecting narrative.

My question was mostly if besides those plot points on the games, if there was ever like some extra explanation, since going with OoE and PoR it makes it seem like the Belmont not only stopped being the users of the VK, but outright banish and stopped being vampire hunters, which lore wise, wouldn't make sense.

Since even if they couldn't use the VK, they still had magic abilities thanks to the Belnades blood lineage they had after Trevor, hence why Juste and Richter were so magically adept when compared to past protagonists (with Juste being the most magically adept of all protagonists supposedly, perhaps due being taught directly from a Belnades) catapulting them to the top 3 strongest Belmonts/Vampire Killer users.

And since we don't have more games to go, we can only assume that it was just with Julius or near to him that the Belmont returned. Which lore wise, btw, is also implied that each passing generation of Belmonts is stronger than the previous one in terms of magic and strength, so, Julius being the strongest implies they still kept being vampire hunters to some capacity.

Tangent

BTW, Julius is still my fav Belmont, dunno why, perhaps is his design, combined with  the idea of him being the strongest of all, that with just an Item crash he destroyed Castevania and killed Dracula for good, making it seem that the 10 minute battle they had was mostly Dracula trying to survive.

DoS made me want more a game dedicated to him and the team when they faught Dracula and put an end to him for good.

The cancelled Dreamcast game was actually meant to explain this. Castlevania Resurrection was going to star Sonia Belmont and Victor Belmont in a time traveling adventure taking place in 1666. The latter being the secondary protagonist and hailing from the 1800s. Victor didn't want to fulfill his family legacy and ran away. This is purposedly why the clan disappeared for the century. The heir apparent was bitch made.

38 minutes ago, Hawkingbird said:

The cancelled Dreamcast game was actually meant to explain this. Castlevania Resurrection was going to star Sonia Belmont and Victor Belmont in a time traveling adventure taking place in 1666. The latter being the secondary protagonist and hailing from the 1800s. Victor didn't want to fulfill his family legacy and ran away. This is purposedly why the clan disappeared for the century. The heir apparent was bitch made.

But IIRC that game was made outside the input of Iga, right?

The same as the other games from the studio, CoM and 64, so the events on it wouldn't necessarily reflect with what he planned to do on later games, and probably would have been decanonnized

Edited by Hecatom
1 hour ago, Hecatom said:

But IIRC that game was made outside the input of Iga, right?

The same as the other games from the studio, CoM and 64, so the events on it wouldn't necessarily reflect with what he planned to do on later games, and probably would have been decanonnized

Yes. IIRC, the American branch of Konami was developing the game. 

On 12/22/2022 at 10:28 AM, The Slick Tony said:

You got to love old games. They have the raddest glitches 😅. I discovered recently that there is an infinite XP exploit at the beginning of Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic. So, of course, I had to try it 😈. It's has took 5 hours but I am almost to max level 🤣

But wait, there's more...

There is an Xbox version exclusive glitch that allows you to trick the game into switching a desired characters class. Thus, when I reach max experience, I'll 'save' the level ups until I want to cross-class. Then I'll jump to Max level.

Stay with me, there is even more...

At a certain point, your character is forced to become a Jedi. Erasing your previous class. There is a problem though - the game can't recognize three classes at once. So, if you do it right and prevent a crash, the game erases the second class and reverts the character to the level they were at pre-glitch (in my case, 2). But, you keep all of the stats and abilities you acquired on level up. So, your character ends up reaching level 38, essentially. Bypassing the hard cap of 20.

Basically -

spacer.png

To continue this - It worked! I created a Franken-Jedi and the game didn't crash 😆

https://i.imgur.com/HK9NpoO.mp4

1 hour ago, MillionX said:

some sales I noticed on Steam just now...a lot of stuff that is the usual suspect for holiday sales though..

Elden Ring = 41.99

Rogue Legacy 2 18.74

Moonscars = 15.99

Souldiers = 13.99

TMNT Cowabunga Collection = 29.99

Pixel Game Maker MV = 16.99 

Fury Unleashed 5.99

Hollow Knight 7.49

Shadow of War 7.49

Left 4 Dead 2 = 0.99!

If you're going to buy games from the steam sale I would recommend you check these sites first to see if they carry the games you're interested in.

https://www.greenmangaming.com/

https://www.fanatical.com/en/

https://www.gamebillet.com/

These sites sell steam keys and often will have better deals. The purchases are tax free.

Edited by Hawkingbird

Diablo 3----ok yeah, Crusader is one of the top picks to do that "Boss Mode" conquest (the challenge where you must kill most of the game's bosses within 20 minutes of starting a game session, on T10 difficulty... the hard part is finding some of them since a lot of areas have random layouts).  I just did it again on Switch and got it cleared on the 2nd attempt (previously I did it on the playstation version this season).  That build that lets you have constant access to "steed charge" (where you summon and ride a super-fast ghostly horse around the battlefield) makes it barely a problem since that ability is such a huge buff to movement speed.  Now, on the Switch version of the game I just have 1 more challenge and that will be all challenges done for this season on there as well... first time I will have done all challenges for a season across 2 versions of the game. 

Hopefully my hardcore character survives; that "beat GR45 with no set items, on hardcore" one will be my 3rd and final conquest; it is specifically why I made this character.  He's still just level 66 at the moment though.  

**would be nice if Lost Ark worked on Steam Deck; unless things changed recently, I think that's one of those games that just doesn't work.  I think Wolcen works though, so I will eventually get that too. (*and unlike Lost Ark and so many other games...Wolcen can be played offline, btw)

Edited by MillionX