Stage Select

Video Game Discussion Thread vol. 2

Bit random,but ever wondered how nice it is how we can basically open youtube and  see what's up with pretty much any game that we are interested in before dropping money on it ? 

How was it back in the day ? Buy a cartridge or PS1 disk and hope for the best. You may or may not have seen a pic or two in a magazine but that's about it 😅

Edited by Skort
10 minutes ago, Skort said:

Bit random,but ever wondered how nice it is how we can basically open youtube and  see what's up with pretty much any game that we are interested in before dropping money on it ? 

How was it back in the day ? Buy a cartridge or PS1 disk and hope for the best. You may or may not have seen a pic or two in a magazine but that's about it 😅

I don't I bought or asked for any games I didn't research into after I started buying magazines.  So I think that was roughly late 16 bit generation.  That and rentals...good ole Blockbuster and Phar More.

1 hour ago, Skort said:

I rented most of the games I played when I was a kid, only buying the games I really liked after playing them.

Besides doing it to test games, there were not many video game stores that sold at reasonable prices here around the 90s, meanwhile there were a lot of renting places with a good variety of games to choose from.

And my parents were to keen to give me and my siblings too much money for allowance.

Most of the games I got were usually bought second hand by an aunt on USA that she brought for me and my cousins when she came here on her annual trips to visit her mother/my grandma.

To maximize the collection of games each cousin had different consoles and if not had different games so we could lend them between each other.

By the time that the PS1 and PS2 came out I was mostly honoring the old traditions by being a pirate of the caribbean and pirated most of the games by renting them and burning a copy, and buying those that I loved.

Edited by Hecatom
2 hours ago, Skort said:

Electronic Gaming Monthly and Blockbuster. 

So I got back into the legendary Cuphead again---since I got the physical version on Switch now, which comes with the DLC.  

It took a dozen tries but I just beat the first DLC boss, which is about a 4-stage battle with tons of crazy shit going on.  Currently I'm still using that dash ability and the green homing shots.... that way I just really focus on evading things while the shots just home-in, though occasionally I'll switch out the weapon since the green shot is weaker.  

**ok this next one that looks like a bull in a stagecoach/saloon thing with a lasso is 100000000000 times more difficult that the previous battle; it's hard is hell to even get to the 2nd stage of this fight....it's unfortunately one of those battles where you're flying in the plane; I'm much more comfortable with the battles where Cuphead/Mugman is on foot.

*yeah I'm not sure I will ever beat that... this thing has flying small enemies (cactus creatures, I think?) that also shoot something at you...but you also have to watch out when she uses a lasso to pull a big cactus onto the screen, while dodging the black root-beer(?) shots, while dodging an eagle above that flies in from the left side, which also drops a stick of dynamite... which explodes into smaller sticks of dynamite, then the 2nd phase of the fight puts even more shit on the screen for you to dodge, and as per usual in this game... none of the objects can be destroyed aside from the pink ones...so you just have to dodge everything (which comes from every possible direction on screen simultaneously) perfectly with your little 3 hit points.... the 3rd phase seems even more difficult even though it's *less* shit on screen... but things are going so fast you just don't have time to fly around effectively (dodging cans and what looks like slabs of steak that fly around) *while* also damaging the boss.  I can dodge that part fairly well, but NOT while getting a hit at the same time so far.

*here it is...look at how much shit you have to deal with in this fight 😆

I can't get enough of that old 1930s cartoon aesthetic in this game; it's some of the best design/art direction I've ever seen in a game....it matches up with that style 100% perfectly.

edit---ha, annnd she's down.  Esther has been defeated.  That last run was near perfect; I made it to the last phase of the fight with all my health remaining and had super meter ready to go.

Edited by MillionX

The worst final bosses

Somehow they managed to forget about Lucien from Fable 2 though.  I doubt there will ever be a final boss "encounter" that will be worse than what happens there.  It appears they took the "subverted expectations!" route, and the result is the most lame, anticlimactic bullshit anyone has ever seen.  If you wait until Lucien does his typical "final boss speech", then Reaver will shoot him....and THAT is it.  That's the final battle.  An AI companion shoots the bastard once, says the movie 1-liner "ugh, thought he'd never shut up." and Lucien falls over the edge.  No surprise comeback in a monstrous final form, no grandiose battle....nothing.  The main villain is defeated by a goddamn AI companion character (if the player doesn't attack him first) and you win.  Yeah this shit still irks me to this day.

21 minutes ago, Sonichuman said:

God of War TV show incoming by Amazon

https://www.ign.com/articles/god-of-war-live-action-series-officially-announced-for-prime-video

Cory Barlog involved...will adapt 2018 which dunno how I feel about skipping everything else right now considering how a lot of the past can inform parts of this game.

Despite already knowing they will do this, I still think that is utter bullshit.

As much as I like the Norse era, the Greek era is still way better and more epic, skipping it is stupid.

1 hour ago, axeman61 said:

I literally HAD to up Kratos to lvl 9 and use poison armor on him and Gna. I hated fighting bare-handed like that, but that was my only shot.

Same, thought playing barehanded and with poison was already part of my playstyle, except not as optimized as the builds you can find on the internet.

1 hour ago, purbeast said:

What's gna?

GNA is some bullshit.

Spoiler

She is the ultimate last optional post game boss, is harder than the Burger King.

Is the Valkyrie that Odin put as the new Queen when Freya left, she is mentioned by other Valkyries, specially in the ending credits sequence.

You can find her near of the Crucible

Edited by Hecatom
8 minutes ago, Hecatom said:

GNA is some bullshit.

Hide contents

She is the ultimate last optional post game boss, is harder than the Burger King.

Is the Valkyrie that Odin put as the new Queen when Freya left, she is mentioned by other Valkyries, specially in the ending credits sequence.

You can find her near of the Crucible

Ah yeah I already got to her and yeah, got my shit pushed in.  I thought he used armor AND gna so was like wtf lol.  Not sure what poison armor is so I'll check that out too.

1 hour ago, purbeast said:

What's gna?

A synonym for bitch 🤣

1 hour ago, Sonichuman said:

God of War TV show incoming by Amazon

https://www.ign.com/articles/god-of-war-live-action-series-officially-announced-for-prime-video

Cory Barlog involved...will adapt 2018 which dunno how I feel about skipping everything else right now considering how a lot of the past can inform parts of this game.

WE DON'T NEED THIS

I really don't see why this is necessary, especially if we are skipping the entire Greek pantheon. 

30 minutes ago, Hecatom said:

Same, thought playing barehanded and with poison was already part of my playstyle, except not as optimized as the builds you can find on the internet.

That poison armor was good for a while, but going bare handed just interrupted my flow once you get the other weapon. I went to the beserker cuirass for the perks. The realm shift gauntlets were for the dodge mechanic. I am only upset that now with the photo mode, I can't get those sweet kill animations with Kratos smiling. 

Edited by OPTIMUS124
9 minutes ago, OPTIMUS124 said:

A synonym for bitch 🤣

WE DON'T NEED THIS

I really don't see why this is necessary, especially if we are skipping the entire Greek pantheon. 

That poison armor was good for a while, but going bare handed just interrupted my flow once you get the other weapon. I went to the beserker cuirass for the perks. The realm shift gauntlets were for the dodge mechanic. I am only upset that now with the photo mode, I can't get those sweet kill animations with Kratos smiling. 

I expect they will add a new game+ eventually like they did with 2018.

So if we go by 2018, it should be in 4 months.

Edited by Hecatom
11 minutes ago, axeman61 said:

I hate they're skipping the Greek Era too, but maybe we get flashbacks. Seems crazy though. You probably WANT to make a show out of the Greek Era, as the Norse Era jumps over it in cinematics. Much as I love the Norse Era, it's already good and doesn't need a show.

That's pretty much the only way I think they're going to be able to fully knock this out of the park is just have brief flash backs of events that took place in the past because the big moment that happens in 2018 is not going to resonate at all if they try to go this without addressing the past.  Hell people are going to have questions the moment that Kratos gets his chin lifted 100 ft and he just gets up afterwards lol.

31 minutes ago, axeman61 said:

I hate they're skipping the Greek Era too, but maybe we get flashbacks. Seems crazy though. You probably WANT to make a show out of the Greek Era, as the Norse Era jumps over it in cinematics. Much as I love the Norse Era, it's already good and doesn't need a show.

Is very likely they will have flashbacks, but even then it wouldn't be enough to give enough context of Kratos actions and the events that transpired.

And seeing how the Norse Era already glosses over over most of the events to the point of almost being negligent on acknowledging most of the events and the context, I don't really have much faith they will ever give the greek era events enough time it needs to.

Then add that is Amazon, that outside the Boys and Invincible, their other series have been al over the place.

Just look at RoP and Wheel of Time, which BTW, the showrunner of that garbage, WoT is the showrunner of God of War, so by now my faith of them also giving the Norse era justice is 0 already, lol.

Edited by Hecatom
2 hours ago, Sonichuman said:

That's pretty much the only way I think they're going to be able to fully knock this out of the park is just have brief flash backs of events that took place in the past because the big moment that happens in 2018 is not going to resonate at all if they try to go this without addressing the past.  Hell people are going to have questions the moment that Kratos gets his chin lifted 100 ft and he just gets up afterwards lol.

My fear is that they will not give enough context of the greek era events and will probably end being like the meme that Kratos was just some dude with anger issues, instead a man that was turn into the plaything of the gods and titans, who you could say was manipulated in some way by every major cosmic entity since he was a child and got everything he loved taken away by said cosmict entities, got to the breaking point that combined with him and the gods and titans being corrupted by the evils of pandora, all became monsters (or more than they were) that ended consumed by their vices and defects and lead to all the events of GoW2 and 3 (just compare Zeus on all the games that take place before GOW2 and the Zeus from GOW2 onwards)

The games barely acknowledge what happened with Deimos and Calliope, don't mention Lysandra neither Callisto and Pandora (who was able to bring part of Krato's humanity during the events of 3, where he was at his lowest point).

Pretend that Ascension, Chains of Olympus, Ghost of Sparta and Betrayal never happened, and those games contextualize a lot of Kratos actions and show he was a more stable man at some point (by the standards of the era of course), being able to form a friendship with Orkus on Ascension for example and being reclutant on killing him to defeat the Furies.

I would argue that one thing that 2018 kind of did bad was to give more weight to Kratos killing Zeus than Kratos killing Athena and Gaia who he had a more close relationship than Zeus and were also his family, you can even see how killing Athena was something he didn't want to do, and actually shocked him when he accidentally killed her while trying to kill Zeus and the betrayal of Gaia was what pushed him into the edge.

Also given that Zeus was the one who very likely turned Callisto into a monster on Ghost of Sparta, you could say Kratos never really cared much about him as a father, since he only discovered it when Callisto was dying by his hand after the gods/Zeus turned her into a monster.

Edited by Hecatom
27 minutes ago, Hecatom said:

Just look at RoP and Wheel of Time, which BTW, the showrunner of that garbage, WoT is the showrunner of God of War, so by now my faith of them also giving the Norse era justice is 0 already, lol.

Are you fucking serious?! Rafe Judkins is doing GoW TV series? Great. Kratos will now be gay, Atreus will be a girl, and a female will be the main badass doing all the cool shit Kratos does in the games. HARD fucking pass on this bullshit.

15 minutes ago, Chadouken said:

Are you fucking serious?! Rafe Judkins is doing GoW TV series? Great. Kratos will now be gay, Atreus will be a girl, and a female will be the main badass doing all the cool shit Kratos does in the games. HARD fucking pass on this bullshit.

Yeah, that IMDB is looking rough to be handing him a project like this. I guess we'll see. Still can't believe they're skipping the Greek Era though.

37 minutes ago, Chadouken said:

Seeing him involved is as bad as seeing any Bad Robot acolyte (kind of reminds me when it was announced that Lyndelof was pening some SW movie or series, like if that was some good news, lol).

The only silverlining is that the script is being (in theory) handled by Mark Fergus and Hawk Ostby who have done some good shit in the past (Iron Man, Children of Men), but we all know they will probably do the skeleton script and then Judkins will bring some of the people under his wing to do the actual script for the episodes, and seeing the quality of most of his stuff...

... yeah, you bet people are not thrilled, lol.

20 minutes ago, RSG3 said:

Which Iron Man cuz we all know Iron Man 1 had almost no script. 

Iron Man 1, lol

They also did The Expanse, Cowboys and Aliens, which is a guilty pleasure of mine, is not great but is not as terrible as some people said back in the day; and shyte like First Snow, which is bad.

I didn't see The Expanse, but I heard is good, but dunno how faithful was to the novels.

Edited by Hecatom
Just now, RSG3 said:

Not much of a writing credit when they made that shit up on the day lol. 

I have most of The Expanse but I haven't watched it yet. 

But then, seeing how IM2 and 3 were received less favorably than IM1, we could say that having the script made up on the day was a blessing, 😅

6 minutes ago, RSG3 said:

I kinda like Iron Man 3, tho part of that might be how much Travor pisses people off, shit gives me life. Dorky nerds crying about shit is my daily medicine these days. 

IronMan 2 can kick rocks with no shoes on tho. 

Well, investigating a little more, it seems that there were 2 semi final scripts/screenplays

The one by Mark Fergus and Hawk Ostby and the one by Art Marcum and Matt Holloway.

Favreu then compiled what he liked from both scripts and then handed it to John August who "polished" the combined version.

So that explains IM1 feeling like it has no script 😅

For me IM2 is the one that I kinda like, IM3 has potential, but there are so many stuff that hinders it for me, Trevor being the lesser one of said problems.

I can see him work if you actually have a true Mandarin that it is faithful to the spirit of the one in the comics, but then, we would have another villain falling to the movie villain syndrome of being killed on the movie that is introduced and never seen again, so having the MINO is also a blessing, or I would say if not for IM being dead and having a meh Mandarin on Shang Chi.

Edited by Hecatom

Ok yeah the bosses in the dlc are on another level... I've been trying to beat this bullshit for most of today....I can get *close* to beating this on the final phase but there's just so many variables of nonsense going on at every possible second, and as per usual in this game... if you make even the smallest mistake you may as well put the controller down because it's over

On especially insane thing here is when it shifts the perspective and you're on the side of the screen, then upside down, then on the other side... this + the random nature of when attacks happen in a certain way completely fucks up your orientation of how to just move around....while worrying about falling off the little plane of course, so the area where you can run around is always small.

ha, it's like writing about it triggers something----right after this post my next attempt finally beat this bitch.  I've been on this battle since lunch hour earlier today.

Onward to Mortimer Freeze...time to see what level of Hell this one is....  I'm still playing as Cuphead, btw; I haven't tried the new character yet, though I hear she makes the game easier. (natural double-jump and an auto-parry if I recall...and I think 1 more hp)

Edited by MillionX