Stage Select

Street Fighter 6 Lounge: The FGC has a crack problem.

2 minutes ago, mykka said:

These DLC dates are rough, Akuma spring 2024? Wow. It really is only 4 characters a year

Only thing that sounded disappointing in the whole thing. I really hope they speed up character releases after Season 1 so we can go back to 6 characters a year, otherwise it'd be a shame.

Anyway, downloading. They better have training mode in this shit.

19 minutes ago, mykka said:

These DLC dates are rough, Akuma spring 2024? Wow. It really is only 4 characters a year

I think it's only because SF6 is being released at the mid point of the year so the scehdule was adjusted. Next year we will probably go back to 6.

At least I don't have to wait too long for AKI

Edited by Daemos
1 minute ago, Daemos said:

I think it's only because SF6 is being released at the mid point of the year so the scehdule was adjusted. Next year we will probably go back to 6.

That would make sense if "year 1" was until the end of this year, but its a full year until next spring 2024.

8 minutes ago, mykka said:

That would make sense if "year 1" was until the end of this year, but its a full year until next spring 2024.

Correct, but I believe that's only because they need to spread out the releases. They can't announce or release the next season until CPT is over which is probably gonna be in Spring.

6 hours ago, Pair of Rooks said:

I would much prefer it if the forums required linking to your game account and showed your rank on every post .

I know few people would like being advertised like that but I feel it would solve so many game argument issues that full anonymity brings.  

The problem is that ranking is not necessarily indicative of skill and more importantly, and indicative of understanding of the game being talked about.

After all, we have seen plenty of times top level players giving some of the stupidiest hot takes that are either borderline scrubquotes or hell, just a scrubquote.

And you can have players that can be low ranked and even low skilled, but have a good grasp about the game, but due dexterity and/or reflexes, or lack of time due rl stuff their way of play is not indicative of it.

Plus, even a wrong opinion can help push forward a conversation, since it can open the opportunity to clarify misconceptions that other people could have, or even open the opportunity to explain why something is done X way in a game, but it doesn't necessarily means that is the only way to do it, or the best way to do it.

Another thing is that there can be convos that are more about the technical side of the fgs, about input delay, hardware, software engineering, that also have an impact on the way people play that don't depend on the skill of the player.

And lastly, there is the social aspect.

We had a lot of people who started as dumb scrubs that bickered with more knowledgeable people on the forums that ended becoming not only active users with good insights, but also people active in their communities, and some of them, were in part of having said discussions. 

Honestly I don't know that you'd really want the toxicity of having ranks as determinant of who gets a say. You do get an insane amount of dumb shit said from low level players fighting other low level players.

But top players are often times carried by their skills as player rather than their knowledge of match ups.

Just now, mykka said:

Gonna be honest, if we're getting less characters cause of World Tour, I'd rather not have the mode...

This is pure speculation from my part.

But I would think, based on my experience as software developer, that the inclusion of the mode shouldn't really impact how many chars we would get on the game.

The scope of the mode and the whole functionality is very different from the fighting game side.

For starters, to me at least, it seems that it builds from previous projects that have been made on the RE Engine, and is also a stepping stone for future projects, since it expands the assets, knowledge and modules that can help for games that could use a character creator, an open space hub where multiple players interact, etc, etc.

Also, due the type of needs that the mode has, it very likely is made by a different team within Capcom, and again, probably iterates from other projects and the tools in place with the game, like the  character creation, for example.

A mode like this can serve as a good tools to see what works and what doesn't, and also test stuff that is planned for other games like Dragon's Dogma or Monster Hunter for example.

4 minutes ago, Hecatom said:

This is pure speculation from my part.

But I would think, based on my experience as software developer, that the inclusion of the mode shouldn't really impact how many chars we would get on the game.

The scope of the mode and the whole functionality is very different from the fighting game side.

For starters, to me at least, it seems that it builds from previous projects that have been made on the RE Engine, and is also a stepping stone for future projects, since it expands the assets, knowledge and modules that can help for games that could use a character creator, an open space hub where multiple players interact, etc, etc.

Also, due the type of needs that the mode has, it very likely is made by a different team within Capcom, and again, probably iterates from other projects and the tools in place with the game, like the  character creation, for example.

A mode like this can serve as a good tools to see what works and what doesn't, and also test stuff that is planned for other games like Dragon's Dogma or Monster Hunter for example.

It's nice to see someone who knows how pipelines work.

30 minutes ago, Vhozite said:

Exact opposite opinion I strongly prefer a slow drip of characters. One of the best things about going from 5 to 6 and 4 to 5 before that was not having to play a game with 40+ damn characters.

I know we have this convo all the time someone mentions this, but I am 100% sure that is a none issue.

The reasons may differ, but at casual, enthusiast and high level play the player base will always sets on a smaller subset of chars, regardless if the game is extremely well balanced or not.

A char maybe doesn't have mass appeal in terms of character design, or it seems as redundant in terms of gameplan, etc, etc.

SF4 maybe had 44 chars, but by how it was played at different levels it may had only 20 at most for all purposes.

And if we go by the memes, maybe 6

kenroster_lulz.jpg

(I know this is a SF4 char select screen)

Edited by Hecatom
1 hour ago, mykka said:

Ed in Winter 2024? It's 4 chars every 15 months or so, as it stands. 9 months between Akuma and Ed? Is 2024 a typo for Ed?

street-fighter-6-dlc-characters.png?widt

Edit: My bad, Ed is the third in the winter, after new year, was spooked then

Edited by JustBooming
32 minutes ago, Hecatom said:

I know we have this convo all the time someone mentions this, but I am 100% sure that is a none issue.

The reasons may differ, but at casual, enthusiast and high level play the player base will always sets on a smaller subset of chars, regardless if the game is extremely well balanced or not.

A char maybe doesn't have mass appeal in terms of character design, or it seems as redundant in terms of gameplan, etc, etc.

SF4 maybe had 44 chars, but by how it was played at different levels it may had only 20 at most for all purposes.

And if we go by the memes, maybe 6

kenroster_lulz.jpg

(I know this is a SF4 char select screen)

Which is all the more reason a roster that large is unnecessary outside of vs games

I think SF6 should at least double its starting roster by the end of its lifecycle.

No you don't need a big roster, but what is big today? The biggest fighting games today all have 37-50+ characters. So ideally you want something like 40-45 since the business model allows it and audiences have an appetite for it. I'm sure SF5's DLC sales were stellar. 

Something interesting I noticed:

oucismx.png

NofVeze.png

The significant difference in their Arcade Mode slots.

Probably related to the difficulty. Maybe an easier difficulty gives you less fights, while a harder one gets you more. We'll see.

Edit: I looked at the video again. You can actually select the amount of stages in Arcade. Cool.

IPVQjCN.png

qfDYNUV.png

Happy to see the return of these bonus stages. 

Edited by Doctrine_Dark
30 minutes ago, Vhozite said:

Which is all the more reason a roster that large is unnecessary outside of vs games

Disagree.

If is a none issue, having a smaller roster would mean that it will be detrimental.

Remember, those games are made for more people than us, the competitive/competitive adjacent crowd.

Having a big roster is very likely preferable since it attracts more crowd since you have a wider net to attract a playerbase, that in turn can mean more long time players if a good chunk of them transition into a more than just a casual, and even lead to the growth of the community.

If is not broken then no need to fix it.

The only valid reason for a smaller cast is development costs.

Because outside of that, balancing is sorted out by the players always flocking to a smaller subset.

Even on games with a small cast.

And a small cast doesn't mean we will have a balanced game, since we have great examples of that not being the case, like the whole SF3 series.

At the end of the day there are way more pros than cons to having a sizable roster.

Hence why outside new series, stablished Ips go for the biggest amount that the budget allows and leave the rest outside for revisions/dlc's

Edited by Hecatom
3 minutes ago, -PVL93- said:

Why must Capcom make me suffer bruh 

No Akuma until next spring. No fei long in V or 6. Sagat was mid in V until like two seasons later

Not trying to be rude but maybe try a new character? Even if the characters you like are in the game there is no guarantee you’ll like them in 6. 

If it makes you feel any better my 3 favorites are also absent.