Stage Select

Street Fighter 6 Lounge: The FGC has a crack problem.

1 hour ago, Sonero said:

The dude has boys cosigning his decisions to go too. Realistically, there's no fucking way you can let the guy in that building right now. Friends with the TO or not, you're beyond caught on 4K being a menace to multiple women. Until there's some amount of therapy going on that lets me know you at least made an attempt to fix yourself, all you can do is bring heat to the TO and the tournament.

Given that he's trying to go to the tournament anyway, I have doubts that he'd take any therapy seriously. If he understood the gravity of this situation, he'd fall back.

On 4/13/2023 at 9:38 AM, delete_me said:

I know everyone's doing it and there's really no point in wasting mental energy to go against it, but it's rather hilarious that it says "full game" under the standard edition when looking at what the other two include.

I wonder how many people are actually going to order the standard edition of SF6.  I mean, even casuals are going to want the character pass for the first year and probably stages and colours too.  

1 minute ago, Volt said:

So uhhh, I've been avoiding any info about these next-gen FGs since World... Thing was revealed.

How good does the single-player content look?

Looks good so far, I have a feeling the showcase next week will go more in depth. In SF6 you can create your own character, run around the various locations, and learn special moves from the cast. Metro City is the first area but there are others.

Here is a video on the character creation from our favorite FGC Youtuber @EvilCanadian

42 minutes ago, Darc_Requiem said:

Looks good so far, I have a feeling the showcase next week will go more in depth. In SF6 you can create your own character, run around the various locations, and learn special moves from the cast. Metro City is the first area but there are others.

Here is a video on the character creation from our favorite FGC Youtuber @EvilCanadian

I'm going to assume there will be an ass and tiddy slider. 10/10. Really, that character creator is absurd.

18 minutes ago, Vhozite said:

Fuck I spent money on Rashid and Ed? 

Think of it this way.

You spent money on A Kuma and big tiddy FANG. You'll probably need to lab against Akuma's stuff anyway, so it's not too bad.

I'm definitely *not* getting the Ultimate Edition tho. Don't need the extra colors for these clowns.

38 minutes ago, elliephil said:

I thought people didn't like the ranked towers because it made getting games take a long time. Online rank doesn't matter tho, true.

Bro these people are always talking out of their fucking ass and its maddening.  First its people wishing that the game had an ELO like system to judge your rank. So some dude figures out how to listen to the packets being sent by the game and makes a whole ass website for it. What's the result? People start talking about that the rank there isn't real and doesn't mean anything; also that the site sucks.

Then another person made a vid about the tower lobby sucks becuase you can't interact. You have preset messages, you can customize them, you can chat at people, have emojis etc. So he brings up the pony fucker fighting games and how the features there are better. A couple of things were, like being able to view matches. Right now in the tower or the park you can't just sit down and watch somebody's match, or line up behind a certain cab.

Everything else? You can communicate in two different ways on PSN/Xbox since you can get their screen name and pm them directly, you can talk in the chatroom box, you can use random emojis you can customize to do shit etc. I've used them all and its all pretty pleasent.

The biggest issue has been the lobby system not working. But it doesn't have anything to do with its design; people are mad at a coding problem and think its an issue with the way the lobby looks. Its the same style of lobby that people told me before were better than menus. Now after trying it and finding out I like the experience of it better, dudes are telling me they are wack.  Right now I can say I like the 2D one better than the 3D one because: 1) the customization has been better, 2) shorter distance to cabs, 3) it has a very weird charm to it. 

The problem people are having with the Strive matchmaking, is that they want this one experience they got with other games. ASW obviously took a deep look at how other games worked when rethinking how they did things and came up with some neat solutions for it.

What i've had to explain multiple times to people complaining about this situation (and which I think got them to at least understand wtf is the issue), is that they think the Tower is "ranked". The tower isn't really a ranked system. They are skill floor sets. They want players to be able to progress in a more natural way than regular ranks. So what the game does instead say: "okay, you can join any of these floors, but this lowest floor is where we feel you are at." Then the more you win, the more the lowest floor is moved up until you plateau.

The plateau part is important. They want you to spend time fighting an aggregate amount of people who amount to your skill level. SF5 does his to you too, they just don't tell you they are doing it. In SF5 after certain ranks, there is a highest you can potentially get but a lowest you can get. Then unless the number of players online is super small, it goes outside of those boundaries. Strive just goes "We think that all the player that are able to beat a random selection of floor 6 players are doing better than the general population." If you stay at the higher floor, if not it nudges you to go back down. But if you plateau, then it is also still sorting out your opponents by nudging people down if they can't hang with you and moving people out of your way who you can absolutely demolish. That way they can control where you go to feel like you're in a group of people where it feels some are stronger, some are weaker but in general along your skill level.

Now the FGC being populated by a wonderful amount of anti critical thinking people don't bother looking at any of this. They won't because the system is kinda working really well. People feel a sense of accomplishment moving up floors, they plateau but they don't quite understand what it means in general so they get mad. It seems kinda rude in a way, but the fact that there are people stuck on the floor before celestial (and can't complete the challenge) more or less hints at things working as intended. If you are in floor 10 and can't make it to celestial, that is legit where you belong until you can consistently complete it. Feels shitty but floors kinda need that upper tier of players for that floor to help others get better.  Like I said, SF5 and other ranking systems solve this issue in a similarish way that has its own problems.

Where people get the tower fucked up its that: 1) they want some title to lord over others and 2) they misunderstand paretto principle and/or what a basic log function shows ultimately. The title is w/e, who gives a shit. You're super turbo grandmaster? Whoop di doo. After a certain skill level, they say something but not what people think they say. The second part of it is more important. As you go higher in the skill levels, there are less people of that skill level.  Hell lets look  at the rating update website that keeps track of stats:

percentages.png

Celestial is 4% of the players right now. The top 4% of players play 15% of total games. That shit is crazy. that exclusivity is kinda hitting though. Because if we looked at how SF5 divides up Warlord/Grandmaster/Master/Diamond, you'd find that even getting to normal diamond put you in the top 6% I think it was? So realistically speaking this isn't actually that far off from what SF5 does.

The problem is that the way SF5 and other "ranked" systems do it is taht they try to match you with people of your rank. But looking at the distribution by floors/ELO ratings (I was at 1903 a few days ago until I decided to go on a bender playing really good people), the less people there are to play with on your rank. Most of the people asking for a new ranked system for Strive literally don't understand this. If the population drops too hard (like it did with DNF), then you get into the situation of being matched up against dudes who were way above your rank because there's nobody else. Instead of doing that the game is just saying "Here are some cut offs, the upper echelon is hard to get to but guaranteed to have the best even if you don't feel they are". Because in SF5 the same thing is happening already, the issue is that the game doesn't show it to you in the same way.

There are other cool things to the strive tower experience (you feel like the game is alive because you see run into people, if you befriend them you are seeing your homies on the cab etc) that is way nicer than just watching a random static image looking for a name to throw against you. Either way, done with this exhausting post on why the Strive tower is a pretty great system even if its coded like shit.

47 minutes ago, Darc_Requiem said:

Best F.A.N.G player in the world. Mained Bison in SF4. From Puerto Rico, is the TO of First Attack.

Cool Thanks. Too bad she's probably gonna also be a charge character.  Also I thought Xian and sonicfox were the best fang players. 

Edited by Maravilla
7 minutes ago, Maravilla said:

Cool Thanks. Too bad she's probably gonna also be a charge character.  Also I thought Xian and sonicfox were the best fang players. 

Xian and Sonicfox were the best FANG players in 2016. 

A.K.I. looks so sick.  I'd prefer if she wasn't charge - but either way I'm going to give her a spin.

1 hour ago, Daemos said:

AKI is charge. AKI is charge. AKI is charge. AKI is charge. AKI is charge. AKI is charge. AKI is charge. AKI is charge. AKI is charge. AKI is charge. AKI is charge. AKI is charge. AKI is charge. AKI is charge. 

Don’t you fuckers take her away from me! 

They coming for charge and I don't like it, its the most blessed playstyle.

Like until explicitly shown otherwise, looks like they took out mash inputs 😞 

8 hours ago, Sonero said:

The tower isn't really a ranked system. They are skill floor sets. They want players to be able to progress in a more natural way than regular ranks. So what the game does instead say: "okay, you can join any of these floors, but this lowest floor is where we feel you are at." Then the more you win, the more the lowest floor is moved up until you plateau.

Where people get the tower fucked up its that: 1) they want some title to lord over others and 2) they misunderstand paretto principle and/or what a basic log function shows ultimately. The title is w/e, who gives a shit. You're super turbo grandmaster? Whoop di doo.

There are other cool things to the strive tower experience (you feel like the game is alive because you see run into people, if you befriend them you are seeing your homies on the cab etc) that is way nicer than just watching a random static image looking for a name to throw against you. Either way, done with this exhausting post on why the Strive tower is a pretty great system even if its coded like shit.

Yeah, hard agree.  Each floor measuring "input techniques" instead of raw win rates is so much better for so many reasons.  Being offered the celestial challenge is an acknowledgement that you know how to play the game. Like, anyone can be diamond if they hit their AAs and do the combos, but to go past that requires more on the human, psychological side.  Computers can't measure that, so into the deep end of celestial you go.

ELO could be displayed in-game but I'm not sure it really adds much since RU has it covered.  The one nice thing about ELO is you can compare it to other games, other genres, even outside videogames.  But I believe it's very important in pvp games because there isn't much else to do *except* git gud. Like that Alpha2 ending, sometimes the journey's more important than the destination.

I've always been fine with the lobbies but tbh if it was that chibi 3D style thing I'd hate it. 2D metroidvania look, ❤️

And yeah, joining some discord person's room, I DO enjoy seeing how they decorated their house. 

Edited by Pair of Rooks
1 hour ago, EvilCanadian said:

They coming for charge and I don't like it, its the most blessed playstyle.

Like until explicitly shown otherwise, looks like they took out mash inputs 😞 

You’re rubbing shoulders with the big apes now. Use your platform to support marginalized minorities like charge players/characters and by extension evil psychic dictators!

The blood of charge characters is on your hands Canadian!  😭

23 minutes ago, Daemos said:

It's his birthday!!!!! (It's the 17th in Japan)

QjlHp7k.jpg

RkOcfcp.jpg

Happy Birthday to the boss of bosses! THE KING OF KINGS! May the planet squirm and writhe in despair beneath your big black boots forever! 🥰

Maybe I should consider it a good thing that my birthday's the same as dictator's??

I'm holding onto 39 quite a bit. There's no going back after 5:20 tomorrow evening!!

4 hours ago, ToreyBeans said:

Maybe I should consider it a good thing that my birthday's the same as dictator's??

I'm holding onto 39 quite a bit. There's no going back after 5:20 tomorrow evening!!

Happy Birthday. You are almost about to join the rest of us in the Megashock AARP Club of the FGC. 🎂

Edited by Darc_Requiem
43 minutes ago, TWINBLADES said:

The franchise has never been good and people only play it because they can’t get good at SF and I’m 100% not joking about the second reason. 

I’m good at SF and enjoy Mortal Kombat just fine lol. 

Also most Mortal Kombat players are casuals who like it for gore and dumb single player stuff. They don’t even care about being good at Mortal Kombat, let alone Street Fighter lol

Edited by Vhozite