Stage Select

The SF6 Thread: Back in my day we had to tick before throw!

10 minutes ago, -PVL93- said:

SFV animations went significantly downhill after Season 1 DLC. There are a few gems here and there like Menat, but good God a lot of attacks are just painful to look at 

Yeah there is a clear difference between year 1 characters and most that came after. Especially the launch roster. 

But does SF6's animations even compare with the launch animations of SF5? And if SF5 was a sign of things, does that mean animations for SF6 will only get worse from season 2 onwards?

2 hours ago, Daemos said:

Professional animator roasting SF6's GAMEPLAY animations. Interesting take. I love SFV animation, think it's top tier, but I really didn't see much of an issue with the ones in SF6. The guy's points are hard to argue with though.

Can't watch whole vid right now, but some of SF6 animations are indeed bad, pretty sure to remember i made a post about Ryu's HP->HK target combo animation looking so fucking terrible that wonder how they did'nt fixed it lol

Another that come to mind is Zangief kick-counter special grab looking like crap in SF6 compared to SFV

SF6 seems to have nice looking key frames but at times the transition between A and B look like shit

1 hour ago, mykka said:

With MK probably being revealed this week, cant wait for the MK vs SF graphics comparison arguments happening online

That's the peasants debate though

Men of culture will simply recognize once more MK style being too terrible to even do comparision and move on into more important visual debates, like wich SF6 waifu have best looking ass

Personally i'm grateful for Kimberly ❤️

2 hours ago, mykka said:

With MK probably being revealed this week, cant wait for the MK vs SF graphics comparison arguments happening online

MK11 was the smoothest of the recent games in terms of animations. They ironed out a lot of the jank people were complaining about from previous games and there's no reason to believe 12 will be any different.

Hopefully SF6 gets it together

2 hours ago, Daemos said:

But does SF6's animations even compare with the launch animations of SF5

No

SFV was still mostly animated by hand, 6 is using primarily motion capture which in my opinion is inferior. The slow shift towards MC is also one fo the reasons why V became worse overtime in terms of animations in DLC characters, especially seasons 2 and 3

Nrs have also been using motion capture since forever and you can see why their attack animations haven't been great for well over a decade (though they did improve here and there with each game) 

That's not to say 6's animations are bad, but the impact on some of them and the general direction just isn't the same as launch and S1 V. Luke is still by far the worst animated character in the roster for example. And then you have a crapton of hitstop so even combos feel and look slower than V

5 hours ago, Daemos said:

Professional animator roasting SF6's GAMEPLAY animations. Interesting take. I love SFV animation, think it's top tier, but I really didn't see much of an issue with the ones in SF6. The guy's points are hard to argue with though.

I didn't watch this and maybe he's right about SF6 animations going downhill from earlier games like 3rd Strike but IMO SF6 animations look fine.  Comparing the game to others it animates much better than MK, KOF and Tekken.  I also find it kind of funny that this guy has #PlayFEXL when that game is known for having some of the worst animations out there.   

Edited by HeavensCloud

Right... I admittedly didn't watch the video either, but I took issue with several of Chun Li's SF6 animations. I'm used to them now, so they don't seem weird anymore. Maybe it'll just take time to see the new stuff as a well animated product? Overall I think the impact behind the moves feels strong IMO.

Edited by ToreyBeans
1 hour ago, ToreyBeans said:

Right... I admittedly didn't watch the video either, but I look issue with several of Chun Li's SF6 animations. I'm used to them now, so they don't seem weird anymore. Maybe it'll just take time to see the new stuff as a well animated product? Overall I think the impact behind the moves feels strong IMO.

The only animation, off the top of my head, that sticks out like a sore thumb is Chun Li's St.MP(?), it looks jank to me. At work, so I haven't seen the video yet. I did chuckle when @HeavensCloudbrought up the dude has PlayFEXL hashtag. It's a shoestring budget game, so I've give a pass, but that game is jank animation personified.

Ya know, all things considered we got it good with the animations with SF6. Of course they are not perfect but they are definitely better than SF5. Thinking back to SF2, that game had some interesting animation strings and I NEVER hear any complaints about them. Take for instance, the shotos' walk animations are super weird with their feet and knees going in multiple directions even as they move back and forth. 

When CVS/2 dropped, the animations for the Shotos were designed to look incredibly close to SF2's and the weird walks were corrected. But by the time SF4 came the animations needed H E L P. Sure the key frames looked solid, but the in between frames and quick speed of most moves didn't make much sense in motion for a large amount of the cast.

I guess what I'm getting at is every iteration improves on several aspects of the animation process and might lose certain qualities, especially when animating in 3D. We'll see if the later seasons in SF6's lifespan end up like Sakura in SFV or if they continue to get better. Given the direction we've seen so far, I'm feeling cautiously optimistic.

21 minutes ago, Darc_Requiem said:

The only animation, off the top of my head, that sticks out like a sore thumb is Chun Li's St.MP(?), it looks jank to me. At work, so I haven't seen the video yet. I did chuckle when @HeavensCloudbrought up the dude has PlayFEXL hashtag. It's a shoestring budget game, so I've give a pass, but that game is jank animation personified.

I don't know man, maybe it's cool to hate on new things or something lol

Edited by ToreyBeans

I've been having a character crises mode about SF6. I thought that Manon would be the character for me and I really felt like maining a command grab character would be an interesting pace change. But I think...I'm like 85% sure I'm gonna main Iily. Playing Kolin for 6 year has made me really appreciate long normals into braindead hit confirms. Whiff punishing and "wish" punishing have been some of my favorite interactions in SFV. Had I stopped playing Kolin I probably would have mained Karin as I played her allot in causals sets because whiff punishing with stand strong was really satisfying. From what I've seen and heard about Manon her buttons aren't nearly as long as people initially thought. And playing Kim in the betas I really hated how every button felt super stubby. I just wanna swing a big long ass normal into drive rush. I just want to be braindead I don't want to wonder if I'm in range lmao

I wasn't sure if I wanted to play as some short stack midget but fuck it she's cute and she's got a dive kick. I'm sorry Manon... it looks like the reign of white women is over...

3 hours ago, Phantom_Miria said:

My impression with 6's animations is that they look all kind of wonky in still frames but flow really well in motion, from idle stances to moves.

My biggest issue with SF6 animation wise is that crouching attacks and poses look like dog shit compared to 5. I don't understand the purpose of why they went the route that they did but Manon and Cammy stand out the most. Everyone has this weird hunched over look instead being planted in a crouching position that feels like how the character would crouch.  Outside of that I'm fine with everything else.

Do I need to do anything special to play the beta? I get that it’s “open” but do I just download it from Steam on the 19th and that’s it?

Edit: You can download it now from the SF6 page, tho i assume it’s not playable 

Edited by Vhozite
27 minutes ago, Vhozite said:

Do I need to do anything special to play the beta? I get that it’s “open” but do I just download it from Steam on the 19th and that’s it?

Edit: You can download it now from the SF6 page, tho i assume it’s not playable 

It's a pre load. Create a Capcom ID if you haven't already.

1 hour ago, Pair of Rooks said:

Is it not plus?

It was never plus for T. Hawk. The strategy for Connor dive is to hit it in cross up but that seems to be gone now. 

1 hour ago, -PVL93- said:

Sounds like MK1 will have its own version of Konquest 

And you know it'll shit on World Tour graphically 

Yet another reason why Capcom shouldn't have made a PS4 version of 6

True, but we'll still be playing Street Fighter 6 in 3 years, and NRS fans would've stopped playing MK1 and started waiting for the Injustice 3 announcement then.