Stage Select

The SF6 Thread: Akuma Incoming!

Never thought I would say this but Drive Impact is growing on me. I still think the cost is too low, and it wall splats from too far,  but generally I like the effect it has on neutral. It dissuades both parties from being too reckless with slow attacks and I do enjoy the mini game of countering a drive impact with your own. 

37 minutes ago, Vhozite said:

Never thought I would say this but Drive Impact is growing on me. I still think the cost is too low, and it wall splats from too far,  but generally I like the effect it has on neutral. It dissuades both parties from being too reckless with slow attacks and I do enjoy the mini game of countering a drive impact with your own. 

I don't like DI.   Footsies?   Nah, DI.   AA?   Nah, DI.   Over the age of 40?   DI, DI, DI.  

Anyway, tonight was my first SF6 matches with actual humans, and my first matches with a charge character.  After barely 2 hours I must quit and do hand stretches. 

I think I need to move back to stick for this game.  So many 2-button and 3-button combinations are impossible unless mapped, and always-be-charging on a D-pad isn't comfortable. 

6 hours ago, Pair of Rooks said:

I think I need to move back to stick for this game.  So many 2-button and 3-button combinations are impossible unless mapped, and always-be-charging on a D-pad isn't comfortable. 

I’m playing a charge character for the first time on this game too.  I’m forced to use the ps5 pad and it’s ass for fighting games so I switched back to stick . It’s slowly coming together but I’ll stick with it for now unless I get a adapter to use the ps4 pad.

Honda has a great toolkit but feels like s.hp is his only button in neutral.

Lily has great buttons, but needs a ton of things going right to get a combo more complicated than just light chains into dp.

Kim feels like a more satisfying Guy, but her tools are going to force her to be played as a complicated set play character at advanced levels.

Idk what I need from a character in this game but nobody is quite "it" yet.

15 minutes ago, Reticently said:

Lily has great buttons, but needs a ton of things going right to get a combo more complicated than just light chains into dp.

Kim feels like a more satisfying Guy, but her tools are going to force her to be played as a complicated set play character at advanced levels.

Idk what I need from a character in this game but nobody is quite "it" yet.

I know what you mean there are a lot of cool characters but also small nitpicky things I don’t like about them. Like i think Kimberly is very cool but her moveset has entirely too much going on for me to play her. 

My biggest complaint with Manon is that outside of high medal grabs she isn’t particularly exciting. 

I'm ashamed to admit that after going through the trials and playing some lobby matches with a friend I got the impression I felt most at home with Ryu. But there's no way I'm going to play him, I hate mirror matches and I find him boring visually.

Manon is okay, but it feels like I'm just poking around a bit and waiting for them to jump at me. Conversely, I have absolutely no idea how to open people up with her, particularly defensive fireball characters like Ryu, Chun, Guile, Sim and JP. Those matchups are a total snoozefest that I eventually lose with 1 seconds on the clock, but I suppose that's just the grappler lifestyle in general.

I actually liked Honda from his trials, but the fact that you have to buff his Hand Slap for it be good is a serious turnoff. Matter of fact I'm not a fan of these installs/buffs across the cast. For Manon it works because you don't really have to think about it but if you to stop and power up or something, eh.

Tried Juri a bit more seriously, too, but I'm not feeling her. I'Ve always liked SFIV Juri and she's a bit closer to that than she was in V but there's something about her that I just don't enjoy. There's also something off when chaining together her charged releases. I can't for the life of me figure out the timing and had to mash the motions, which is super unrewarding.

Chun is cool, but too execution heavy in this game for me. Might look a bit more in-depth into Gief, he seems to be basically the same as Manon but with a bit more nuance, oddly enough.

JP might still be my ideal character but I kind of hate him already.

15 minutes ago, EvilCanadian said:

I know how you pick a main in this game

you start by liking, and subscring

Already done bro watch your stuff all the time. 

Its more of a personal dilemma for me  than the actual gameplay elements . I love the grapplers but ive played Gief since day one in Sf2 and Lily and Manon are way too cutesy for me so i'm kinda stuck. 

35 minutes ago, delete_me said:

I actually liked Honda from his trials, but the fact that you have to buff his Hand Slap for it be good is a serious turnoff. Matter of fact I'm not a fan of these installs/buffs across the cast. For Manon it works because you don't really have to think about it but if you to stop and power up or something, eh.

Honda has plenty of juice even without the install stocked.  Especially since half his combo routes give you enough time at the end to get the install anyway.

14 hours ago, HD-Man said:

How you unlock jukebox mode and the tracks? Not a big fan of the music in this besides a few standouts

14 hours ago, Mattatsu said:

I heard you’ll need to unlock music with the fighting (battle) passes. I hope that’s not true because while Cammy’s theme is one of the few I really like, listening to it for hours in training mode is going to make me hate it

Welp, I read the online manual and here's what it says:

"Music
Listen to music you have acquired. These are primarily obtained as Fighting Pass rewards, though some can be acquired by making progress in World Tour mode as well."

I guess it's like those mobile game rewards where you have regular rewards and premium ones when you pay for whatever's extra. Capcom about to take all the money lol.

1 hour ago, delete_me said:

Tried Juri a bit more seriously, too, but I'm not feeling her. I'Ve always liked SFIV Juri and she's a bit closer to that than she was in V but there's something about her that I just don't enjoy. There's also something off when chaining together her charged releases. I can't for the life of me figure out the timing and had to mash the motions, which is super unrewarding.

I’m real curious to hear an actual Juri player’s opinion on the character because as a casual Juri player she feels bad to play to me. She has to manage 3 versions of every release now and chaining them together feels cumbersome compared to 5. It also still feels like she has to manage resources only to end up marginally better than what other characters can do with much less investment. Light release still feels much better than the other two, etc.

SF4 Juri >>> SFV > SF6 

Edit: Also 100% agree with your thoughts on Ryu. I’m hoping Akuma is similar but more visually interesting.

Edited by Vhozite

Been grinding WT Mode to see Cammy’s ass in a G string (joking, not really), and decided to try out avatar battle for the drive tickets rewards today… I didn’t realize your stats from WT Mode carried over (like health, drive gauge amounts, abilities, etc).

I understand the special moves and stuff carrying over, but I feel like these avatar battles should be even in terms of stats.

like yeah, I can see some people really grinding WTM and would want their hard work to pay off, but who doesn’t love a fair fight?

3 hours ago, Reticently said:

Yeah he doesn't really have much footsie buttons.  Maybe headbutt means he doesn't need them so much tho. 

I don't think he has any iframes either?   Like EX Headbutt has a hit of armor but if you read a throw it's backdash or jump.  I don't think command throws beat normal throws here.

---

Guile I played cause he has only 3 special moves, which makes him look borderline retarded in this option-rich game.  So is he the easy good character?   NO.   He has a lot of normals and command normals that are slight variations of each other, so it'll take time to sort through them, but ...  the hard part is hitting those charge moves with minimum charge time consistently for all the really good combos.   Guile feels like the most execution-heavy character in the whole game. 

3 hours ago, EvilCanadian said:

I know how you pick a main in this game

No you silly monkey that made it worse not better!  

(Though you were spot-on about Honda.  If you have any old-model crystal balls on discount I'll buy 'em.)

22 minutes ago, Mattatsu said:

to see Cammy’s ass in a G string

And here I thought we didn't want G to return.    "Powa to ze ass!" 

1 hour ago, Vhozite said:

I’m real curious to hear an actual Juri player’s opinion on the character because as a casual Juri player she feels bad to play to me. She has to manage 3 versions of every release now and chaining them together feels cumbersome compared to 5. It also still feels like she has to manage resources only to end up marginally better than what other characters can do with much less investment. Light release still feels much better than the other two, etc.

She completely feels like same ol' Juri to me, still on her transformation arc from being a resource character to being a rekka character.  There have always been complaints that her stores only make her marginally better for every game she's been in, just as long as people have been saying she's high tier cause of all the tools and the problem is her players.  So, yeah, the same.

I DID notice that they baked-in the kara-cancel into her store-up move.  In 4 she could kara-cancel from stand strong into Store for a little extra range, which was necessary for some juggle combos to be consistent, but now in 6 the HK version of Store just karas her forward while the LK version keeps her stationary.  Nice little love note there. 

23 minutes ago, Pair of Rooks said:

I don't think he has any iframes either?   Like EX Headbutt has a hit of armor but if you read a throw it's backdash or jump.  I don't think command throws beat normal throws here.

Two hits of armor on EX Headbutt, I think.  If he has a true invincible reversal, it's probably one of his supers.  Haven't labbed it- but I'm used to playing characters without reversals so it isn't a deal breaker.

Everytime I end up in a Manon mirror I end up learning new degeneracy.

For example, I think people might not be aware of how stupid her EX command grab is. The huge range of the light one with the speed of the heavy one (5 frames), combined that with a few medals on and as soon as you get at the end of mid-to-close range you can suddenly kill people without them even realizing.

24 minutes ago, Phantom_Miria said:

Everytime I end up in a Manon mirror I end up learning new degeneracy.

For example, I think people might not be aware of how stupid her EX command grab is. The huge range of the light one with the speed of the heavy one (5 frames), combined that with a few medals on and as soon as you get at the end of mid-to-close range you can suddenly kill people without them even realizing.

I'm not landing any command grabs anymore, my opponents are all constantly holding up. I collect my medals nicely like a good Manon via her QCF Hitgrab, but I barely get to experience the rewards anymore.

Funnily enough it doesn't really have a big impact on my overall performance with her but the flying opponents are getting a bit lame.