Stage Select

The SF6 Thread: Akuma Incoming!

53 minutes ago, Flackaveli said:

I still don't agree with wall splat combo from DI

Same here. I'm okay with the dizzy state when you're in burnout but other than that I feel it makes corner pressure a tad too simple. There's already throw loops and throw baits can lead to so much damage, add that on top of the usual disadvantages when cornered and it seems a bit too much.

On the other hand I suppose you could argue that the game has three defensive mechanics that allow you to counter it (or two and a half) but the mental stack when cornered in this game can be massive.

45 minutes ago, Neclord said:

To everyone thinking SFV looks better, you should boot up SFV after playing SF6 in recent weeks. It really does look better!

I think some characters in 5 definitely look better than their 6 counterparts. Choosing the most fugly character in SFV to call those people wrong isn’t some kind of gotcha lol

Overall I’d say 6 is a side-grade over 5 visually. Some things are better some things are worse. 

Edited by Vhozite
14 minutes ago, Vhozite said:

I think some characters in 5 definitely look better than their 6 counterparts. Choosing the most fugly character in SFV to call those people wrong isn’t some kind of gotcha lol

Overall I’d say 6 is a side-grade over 5 visually. Some things are better some things are worse. 

For me outside of Chun Li, who's SFV model is virtual perfection, SF6 looks better to me. Cammy and Juri have figures in line with their original design. Gief looks like "The Mountain" instead of Mr. Olympia. Luke, outside of the fore arms that stink on both models, it leagues better than in SFV.

52 minutes ago, Vhozite said:

So we have already had a lengthy discussion about this clip in discord, but I’m curious what to see what the rest of y’all think.

If this was Bison everyone would be furious and demanding a hotfix. But it’s okay because it’s the new guy.

22 minutes ago, Darc_Requiem said:

For me outside of Chun Li, who's SFV model is virtual perfection, SF6 looks better to me. Cammy and Juri have figures in line with their original design. Gief looks like "The Mountain" instead of Mr. Olympia. Luke, outside of the fore arms that stink on both models, it leagues better than in SFV.

For me it’s very case by case who looks good and bad in 6.

Ryu and Chun look better in 5 to me 

Ken 6>>>>5

Manon has weird legs

Kimberly looks weird under certain lights, etc

My biggest complaint is the less vibrant colors 

So I’m reposting this as I consider this pretty much done. Last section I added has tips for fighting Manon, so even if you don’t play her it might be worth checking. There is some more stuff I could add but that would only happen in I decide to keep using the character long term. 

I’m gonna chill in World Tour for a while and after that explore other characters. World Tour actually has me wanting to try Blanka lol.

1 hour ago, Vhozite said:

Personally I think all the returning characters look better in 6. The comparisons like to use the classic costumes and most of those look like ass in SF6 style. Dee Jay looks like an alien in the classic outfit.

10 minutes ago, Vhozite said:

Using Blanka to sail across the screen while making animal noises is fun. Don’t knock it till you try it lol 

Hey, when I needed to relax in the SFIV days, I'd pick Blanka purely to troll people I'm not the one you need to convince.

3 minutes ago, Hawkingbird said:

Personally I think all the returning characters look better in 6. The comparisons like to use the classic costumes and most of those look like ass in SF6 style. Dee Jay looks like an alien in the classic outfit.

I agree for the most part. I think Ryu's classic would look fine if they fixed his pants. It's strange because they went through the trouble of recreating his Super Turbo portrait hair. As for classic Dee Jay, he looks like the Jamaican version of the Gigachad meme to me. 

17 minutes ago, Hawkingbird said:

I mean that’s kind of the thing I think a lot of the SF6 outfits look bad. Chun, Guile, Ryu, and Juri are all downgrades imo. I want classic gi Ryu but that looks ass in this game. New characters are better in this regard tho.

I love Ken’s default style tho. My favorite design in the game BY FAR. Love the size 25 sneakers, the jacket, the whole kinda bummy but still a figther look. Shit works for me.  His theme is my favorite too.

Edited by Vhozite
1 hour ago, Vhozite said:

So we have already had a lengthy discussion about this clip in discord, but I’m curious what to see what the rest of y’all think.

Marissa takes a massive, react-able gamble against a fully stocked character at round start.  Then makes  consecutive bad guesses in wake-up situations.

Not every character would have been able to drain that much drive gauge from her in one combo, but I'm not sure that's a real problem.  She went with the "show me your biggest punish counter" opening, it was going to be ugly whatever the match-up was.

Edited by Reticently
23 minutes ago, Hawkingbird said:

Default SF5 Chun-Li looks better than Default and Classic SF6 Chun-Li. But she is the exception.

Every other default look in SF6 beats SF5's default in terms of model quality.

Where SF5 notably shines is character gameplay animations and the colors/lighting. SF6 characters look too shiny in some stages and completely flat in other areas also. I said this early on and I still think so after getting it. I'm gonna put this down as "artstyle".

On 6/12/2023 at 5:31 PM, Volta said:

Finally got some time to play this game and lab Blanka for a bit. I was going to play for 5 minutes and then lament how weak he is and how he needs buffs, but he seems pretty damn strong in this version. In fact, the sheer number of his offensive options is pretty overwhelming. Great Blanka ball very safe on block, quick recovery for throw shenanigans, full screen command grab, great pokes, Blanka chan trickery, backstep roll shenanigans, new airborne ball, etc., etc.

Seeing how there's no longer any SRK character threads, can anyone direct me towards a reputable combo page? I'm getting too old to figure this stuff out on my own. @Voltwhere do you get your tech for our favorite character?

The Lounge Discord is infested with these animals. 874078908440522812.webp?size=128&quality

@Psychoblueis actually maining that disgusting cosplayer, wearing Phoenix Sons colors no less, so he definitely can point you in the """right""" direction.

25 minutes ago, Volta said:

I love that they added a dedicated zoner in JP, but I think they went a bit overboard with the full-screen command grab.

Honestly? Unless he conditions you and knows very well how to sneak them in at close range, they're just scrub-killers.

I get got a lot of times by those, but once you've learned the sound clue and that the startup is slower compared to his normal fireballs, it becomes pretty easy to react with a jump-in. If JP just does it raw he's either betting that the other guy will mistake the very initial startup as a fireball and go into parry stance, and then he's screwed, or he's getting potentially killed. Even at full screen he might avoid a punish but his opponent will be able to get very close to him thanks to the whiff.

Any Jaime players here? I can't seem to connect the jmp part in his level 3 super followup. 

The follow up is down + 2 kicks, jhk, jmp ex dive kick then heavy dp. 

But I can't seem to connect the jmp no matter what. I press up forward + mp but my punch still whiffs. 

3 hours ago, Vhozite said:

What Reticently said.  Marisa in particular has moves that tank single hits when she's cornered in burnout, and JP won like 5 touches even with full resources.  It's fine.

54 minutes ago, Hawkingbird said:

DPs are not purely defensive moves. They have more utility than that. As I guy who likes to grab this shit infuriates me to no end.

So you’re mad about the move that has less utility than a regular DP having the same

level of invincibility? 

Not trying to be a smartass but that sounds backwards.

1 hour ago, Daemos said:

Omg yes! ALL THE CHARACTERS ARE HAKAN!

1297119-11_hakan04.jpg

Hakkan gets a pass on me as the goofy but interesting character in SF4 that the only goofy character from SF4 I want to return even not being story relevant.

Abel only has consideration to me because of the major role and lore about him but his plain generic even I like how he plays as a grappler.

3 hours ago, Vhozite said:

The problem with his counter is the situation he gets off it not that it beats throws. 

This. It's Smash 4 Bayonetta again. The counter being immune to grab isn't the problem, it's the massive effing punish the counter grants because the aggressor took their turn.

Imagine a fully invincible DP that also grants a nice combo, possibly with oki, and resets to your preferred range.

Edited by Pair of Rooks
2 hours ago, Edmund said:

Any Jaime players here? I can't seem to connect the jmp part in his level 3 super followup. 

The follow up is down + 2 kicks, jhk, jmp ex dive kick then heavy dp. 

But I can't seem to connect the jmp no matter what. I press up forward + mp but my punch still whiffs. 

The timing is really strict mid screen.  I only think it's worth going for mid screen if you're trying for the kill, if not it's better to do st.HP into sweep target combo for a drink level.  Unfortunately, st.HP into sweep target combo is also kind of strict (not sure why so many of his juggles are this difficult, thanks Capcom). The j.MP ex dive follow-up is simpler to land in the corner than mid screen but then you could just do cr.HP, ex. palm, HK.DP which is easier and possibly does more damage?  I'll have to check that later.  

1 hour ago, HeavensCloud said:

The timing is really strict mid screen.  I only think it's worth going for mid screen if you're trying for the kill, if not it's better to do st.HP into sweep target combo for a drink level.  Unfortunately, st.HP into sweep target combo is also kind of strict (not sure why so many of his juggles are this difficult, thanks Capcom). The j.MP ex dive follow-up is simpler to land in the corner than mid screen but then you could just do cr.HP, ex. palm, HK.DP which is easier and possibly does more damage?  I'll have to check that later.  

Thanks. I'm gonna try and see which is easier and does decent damage. 

Right now I'm doing down + 2 kicks, jhk, heavy dp. Does decent amount of damage meterless. 

Basically just omitting the jmp ex dive kick part. 

I'm thinking of reasons why my jmp doesn't connect. Whether I'm too early or too late. Gotta hit the lab.