Stage Select

The Street Fighter V Thread

3 minutes ago, BornWinner said:

Alright, my first thumbs down! I don’t even hate Baiken, she’s pretty cool. Just noticed the similarity between casual players liking and requesting for them and never playing them.

I mean you're not wrong and it was from Vhozite, he didn't even know who Rugal Bernstein was.

Nothing you can take serious.

From what they claimed was Ono was difficult to work with.

It might be true. In some cases that maybe his more restrictive to others ideas to be implemented on SF and might that he may disagree in more frequently to others, but Capcom higher ups also it hard to work with also because of the budget and priorities. It's not just SF but also for MVCI cased. Which Ono wasn't part of it other than being in the promotion

I don't believe the team game ideas that was Ono preference that why the higher ups of capcom was displeased with the results of the gameplay.

Because his not anything of a battle planner or a game designer and his position was already different at that time. It might be just added since many dislike him already. 

People working with him could have seen him a blockade to many opportunities and possiblities in SF, but most of this people are the one asking to release multiple fighting games like DS while also wanting other franchise like darkstalkers and other fighting game franchise like Tekken to have a guest characters in SFV.

Ono could be the roadblock to those ideas but we don't know if those ideas would go back at him because we all know it's the tight budget thats how Capcom prioritize things and if that fails the expectation for another sequel or category of that game is likely to remain in dormant.

It's pretty sure that his not a risktaker on SF franchise on those aspect but we don't know if his the one responsible for the problems with SFXT and SFV launch. That has questionable content.

We can assume if his restrictive policies to SF can be because of the budget alotted and could posible affect him to be demoted. And having multiple Fighting Franchise from Capcom could make SF target audience be seperated that would cause him to be demoted and be later had more smaller budget.

DMC and Megaman series was also dormant for time while while RE has tons of remade, remakes and reboot countless times. Multiple version of RE2. It's clearly that Capcom is interested were the audience is earger to throw money is in. Capcom would not hesitate  to fund a multiple assets for RE. It's not a recycled content like we see in SF.

Some might not understand the consequences that SF might gone into if it didn't make the expectation thats why blaming it that Darkstalkers isn't getting a future game. It's not just DS there are tons of franchise from the 90s like breath fire that wasn't given much attenstion. Even the later like viewtifuljoe, onimusha and powerstone. 

Max was like the last guy to throw opinion on Ono's situation and obviously trying to play safe with his opinion. Like confirming that that his hard to work with according to the people he personally know that work with Ono, but Max never mentioned anything about the game SF6 being team based thats why Ono was demoted.

I think it's more believable that he was demoted because SFV wasn't doing properly along. I remember after Kage reveal Ono was twitting that fans were asking for new characters so he would ask the higher ups to add new characters. So there goes the season of Gill and Seth.

People were expecting more that time because they thought Capcom was hiding and delaying tons of DLC modes and characters but no they aren't. Because SFV was meant to last only till 2020.

Recently I have heared also about the creation of the Strider in PSX that they guy was the one that push it to Capcom to make strider appear in MVC1 and was push with a tight budget for the game.

5 minutes ago, BornWinner said:

Alright, my first thumbs down! I don’t even hate Baiken, she’s pretty cool. Just noticed the similarity between casual players liking and requesting for them and never playing them.

I don’t always play GG, but when I do, I play Baiken and get washed trying to counter everything

Edited by Vhozite
8 minutes ago, Mattatsu said:

I know @BornWinner @GetTheTables and @Shahenzan have GG Rev2 on PS4. Does anyone else?

I think Born Winner and I are getting some matches in this weekend (if it all works out). Honestly, I may start to play this more if there’s enough interest.

Is it cheap?

if a bunch of people are playing it I will consider picking it up. I don’t really intend to put any effort into it though.

also, we were going to try to play some KI3 soon (tonight?)

2 minutes ago, FlyingVe said:

Is it cheap?

if a bunch of people are playing it I will consider picking it up. I don’t really intend to put any effort into it though.

Idk about tonight. This game is really weird to me. 

Are all the combos auto combos? After a certain point it seems like you just Nash buttons to combo, but I assume that’s not right. 

1 minute ago, FlyingVe said:

Is it cheap?

Right now it’s pretty expensive on the PS Store, but it’s definitely one of the games that often goes on sale for like $20.

Not many of us are playing right now, but I don’t mind changing that. I love the game, I only ever dropped it because there are very few randoms playing it (without going to discord etc)

1 minute ago, FlyingVe said:

Is it cheap?

I don’t know if there’s a sale for the PS4 version me and Matt will try to play but there’s  currently a Steam sale for GG Xrd. 

spacer.png

And I know it’s confusing as fuck but you would want to go with the third option if you want all the characters.

1 minute ago, Mattatsu said:

Right now it’s pretty expensive on the PS Store, but it’s definitely one of the games that often goes on sale for like $20.

Not many of us are playing right now, but I don’t mind changing that. I love the game, I only ever dropped it because there are very few randoms playing it (without going to discord etc)

I have it on pc, tho not on this machine yet. If you ever get it there hmu

Man crossplay on SFV spoiling me 😔

2 minutes ago, ShockDingo said:

Oh snap, really? Alexia or Naomi?

Alexa. She went by Lexi. Moved to a suburb north of Columbus freshman year of high school, or maybe even during 8th grade year, I can't remember. She cheered and dated a homie I had, I think.

I was fat and into kingdom hearts, so our paths didn't cross much other than standing on the same sidelines during football games

1 minute ago, Vhozite said:

Idk about tonight. This game is really weird to me. 

Are all the combos auto combos? After a certain point it seems like you just Nash buttons to combo, but I assume that’s not right. 

So combos work differently in KI, they (mostly) are not something you learn, but something you need to adapt on the fly.

Combos basically follow a cancel structure like you would get in an anime game:

opener>[double>linker]xn >ended.

you can also choose to do a manual instead of a double, which is basically an sf style link.

Linkers are basically special moves, and doubles are normals.

The core system is that heavy doubles/linker build up huge amounts of potential damage (which are cashed out with the ender), but are piss easy to break on reaction, light doubles do minimal damage but are unreactable.

The other core thing is that, when someone fails a break they are locked out for a bit, allowing the attacker to pile on damage. In addition the attacker can do a counter break, effectively they intentionally drop their combo, but if you tried to break when they do that,  you get destroyed (meaning that easy to break heavy double could be a trap).

on top of that, your combo ender gets stronger based on how long the combo goes (you will see bars fill up between 1-4), so there’s a risk reward thing for long combos.

Other smaller notes:

-potential damage works like white life in SFV so you can try a reset to build out silly damage.

-combo breakers remove all potential damage

-Enders have different functions such as oki, damage, meter, juggle, etc...

-characters have unique mid combo mechanics as well (spinal does triples, Hisako has delayed doubles, etc...)

-EX moves must be broken by timing your break on 3 of 5 hits which creates other mind games.

It sounds like a lot, but it’s honestly pretty intuitive once you get a handle on it. The tutorial is a bit wordy but honestly it’s really good.

Other non combo related notes:

-almost everything cancels and causes a juggle state. So overheads hurt, anti-airs hurt.

-shadow counter is a really neat version of alpha counter. It punishes a hit after the initial guard cancel, so it’s kills autopilot and some moves but is super punishable against more patient play.

-Instinct mode (think V trigger but weaker) is built by taking damage but built more by breaking combos.

-characters have throw mechanics unique to them. (Eg Jago can cancel throw into EX).

Just randomly checked the PS4 GG Rev2 lobbies and not a single person in NA or Europe... odd time of the day but that sucks.

about 100 in Tokyo though.

The thing about it tho is you can see if anyone’s in it before joining so there may be a hundred assholes scrolling through and not joining because no one else is there... One evening I decided to sit in a lobby and see if anyone would join and I don’t think it took too long, but that was at least a year ago (and I got fucking wrecked)

Edited by Mattatsu

@Mattatsuet all, I'd be up for firing up Rev 2 again. GG still calls to me. If we want to try getting something together for the weekend I can give that a shot depending on how things shake out.

@FlyingVeTonight is 50/50 for KI. Literally waiting to hear back about plans, my favorite thing. If things don't work out I should be around.

Also for anyone looking for KI resources this is one of the most thorough websites put together for any game:

https://ki.infil.net/

Another way to think about combos in KI is that they are a combination of combos and a mix up scenario. It can be a weird adjustment because we are so used to combos being "I do a thing" time, but its closer to an extended pressure sequence that has mounting damage potential. 

I personally really like the interaction because it can really reward you for paying attention to your opponent's tendencies. Landing a counter breaker is one of the most satisfying things in any FG ever.

5 minutes ago, Vhozite said:

Yeah I noticed Jago’s throw was considered an opener but I couldn’t figure out why. 

But yeah honestly I vaguely get it on paper, but in practice find it really confusing. 

Don’t think to much about the terms, all an “opener” really denotes is the point at which the “real combo” starts and thus a combo breaker is an option.

Edit: to add to @GetTheTablescomment. The big difference is that combos in KI are not canned. You don’t learn a specific combo (with some exceptions), but instead learn how to combo in general.

I like it a lot because it rewards lab time without over rewarding rote memorization.

Edited by FlyingVe
19 hours ago, Volta said:

People might have been OK with 30fps at some point, but in this day and age, with the current gen, I expect there to be a backlash if they revert back to 30 so I don't think that'll happen. We'll just have to wait and see.

It seems like Spider-Man: Miles Morales is already making users choose between 60fps or having raytracing.  Demon's Souls makes you choose between 4k/30fps or 1440p/60fps.

I'd give up your hopes of all the new stuff being a guaranteed 60fps on console.  It's only gonna get worse from here on out. 😩

9 minutes ago, misterBee said:

It seems like Spider-Man: Miles Morales is already making users choose between 60fps or having raytracing.  Demon's Souls makes you choose between 4k/30fps or 1440p/60fps.

I'd give up your hopes of all the new stuff being a guaranteed 60fps on console.  It's only gonna get worse from here on out. 😩

Just invest in a PC, it's worth more in the long term.

My last one served me for 10 years and he was cheaper than a PS3 and PS4 combined in the long term.

The new one will outlife the PS5 and 6 for sure, might need some smaller upgrades down the line.

8 minutes ago, misterBee said:

Agreed.

However, the reality is that 30fps is fine for most games so it’s not something most people will (or should) get up in arms about. We are seeing lots of 60 right now due to most games being cross gen.

Consoles, no matter how good they are represent a standard baseline, which will always be the most acceptable compromise between graphics and performance (which is 30fps for most games). If you want to beat that, you gotta go with a PC (and be prepared to pay for it).

that said, we might see more performance modes as options this go around, though they won’t be he primary display mode.

13 minutes ago, misterBee said:

I'd give up your hopes of all the new stuff being a guaranteed 60fps.  It's only gonna get worse from here on out. 😩

As long as they give you the option to choose 60fps over graphics, it would be waaaaaaay better than current and past gen. 

3 minutes ago, Hecatom said:

As long as they give you the option to choose 60fps over graphics, it would be waaaaaaay better than current and past gen. 

With a few exceptions, I expect that the only reason you have the options now is because these are cross-gen titles with some extra performance headroom on the new consoles.

After a while I think they'll just prioritize graphics like before and you won't get options at all on most games.

I wouldn’t be so sure, the Pro and X consoles last generation made performance modes fairly common, I would not be surprised to see the trend continue.

we have also seen more developers use 60fps as a standard for their games last gen.

Again, while I don’t remotely expect it to be standard, I do think there will be more performance modes and raw 60fps modes than last gen.

9 minutes ago, FlyingVe said:

I wouldn’t be so sure, the Pro and X consoles last generation made performance modes fairly common, I would not be surprised to see the trend continue.

I feel the performance modes from the Pro and X exist for the same reason as they do right now - extra performance available on certain machines and a 'base' or inferior versions of games existing.

Microsoft still has a weaker and stronger versions of the Xbox, but all PS5s are the same.  Once last-gen and cross-gen titles no longer exist, those extra options might go away.  We'll just have to see how things go I guess.  🤷‍♂️

1 hour ago, misterBee said:

I'm fine with not having ray-tracing if the game runs at a smooth 4k 60fps.

Assassin's Creed Valhalla runs at 4k 60fps and Gran Turismo 7 will run at 4k 60fps including ray-tracing if we take Polyphony's word for it. The console apparently has the horse power to have its cake and eat it too, it's up to the developers to put it to good use.