Stage Select

The Street Fighter V Thread

4 minutes ago, Mr.Cipher said:

Well Sagat isn't worth playing either, he's good until you meat the characters that play SFV, then he just struggels to achive anything.

I mean that’s true, but I struggle to achieve anything anyway so... 🤣

In all honesty, yeah in high level play, Bonchan will need a secondary to win, but I should still be able to reach Diamond or something with him alone... plenty other people do.

5 minutes ago, Mattatsu said:

I mean that’s true, but I struggle to achieve anything anyway so... 🤣

In all honesty, yeah in high level play, Bonchan will need a secondary to win, but I should still be able to reach Diamond or something with him alone... plenty other people do.

Considering how shoto infested lower ranks in SF usually are and how dumb most of them are, you should get to Diamond just by hitting your AA DPs consistent.

Just a advice play different FGs, it will improve your skillset, thats not meant as SFV sucks (what it does), but from my experience playing lots of different FGs will widen your horizon.

6 minutes ago, KingTubb said:

Next week I'll probably try playing more SFV, but I gotta find out if Honda has a better AA than light headbutt. It he had a button AA that would be amazing. 

Jump ins are too strong and at lower ranks it's all these bozos wanna do

I just remembered he had a pretty godlike AA button on his release. I just looked it up and it was standing Heavy Punch. Not sure if it’s been patched though

Edited by Mattatsu

Mileena and Rain are really cool. I think Rambo is is cool too but it’s hard for me to get excited about him when he is the 3rd or 4th guest that uses a bunch of guns. 

Also Boon is a better guy than me. The way her fans have been acting that character wouldn’t have seen the light of day till 2025 if I was in charge. 

Edit: Also want to ask about something MK11 related. According to some Reddit thread I saw Kombat league ranks are just cosmetic to measure your progress towards skins.  It just uses regular matchmaking but there is no way to compare where you are to the playerbase. Can anyone who plays it confirm ?

Edited by Vhozite
8 minutes ago, Vhozite said:

According to some Reddit thread I saw Kombat league ranks are just cosmetic to measure your progress towards skins.  It just uses regular matchmaking but there is no way to compare where you are to the playerbase.

It uses regular matchmaking in Casual modes, but in KL it mostly matches you up against people in or around your league for that season (I have seen clips of people playing people in very different ranks, but in my 100 or so KL sets, I never saw that).

and no, once a season is over, I don’t think there’s a way to see where you match up. You can view your online win ratio, but I don’t think it ranks where you are versus everyone.

tbh, KL resetting is wack to me. It’s good for the skins and stuff, but I’d love a permanent ranked mode without rewards.

Also, I’m meh about the pack. I was hoping for custom variations or some major shakeups the community has been asking for. Maybe we’ll learn more, but I feel like they could have mentioned something in the text in the last screens. The characters are cool but likely won’t get me to buy it. I also like Mileena a lot, but I’m luke warm on her release because of her fans, throwing rude demands at NRS staff.

im also curious as to if Kitana is going be re-worked because of Mileena’s stance/highborn variation. Plus her sai for gear. Seems like Kitana is almost a half a character now if they don’t adjust her accordingly

Edited by Mattatsu
1 minute ago, Mattatsu said:

resetting is wack to me. It’s good for the skins and stuff, but I’d love a permanent ranked mode without rewards.

I just think ranked modes in fighting games are dumb. They're weird casual bait and only serve to gatekeep people from showing their true potential unabated by netcode. This isn't a problem in itself so much as it gets frustrating not being able to consistently make plays that you could have otherwise, leading to drop in interest and ultimately leaving the game because, "muh rank." It filters out people who are really interested instead of scrubs sometimes.

1 minute ago, Dayaan said:

I just think ranked modes in fighting games are dumb. They're weird casual bait and only serve to gatekeep people from showing their true potential unabated by netcode. This isn't a problem in itself so much as it gets frustrating not being able to consistently make plays that you could have otherwise, leading to drop in interest and ultimately leaving the game because, "muh rank." It filters out people who are really interested instead of scrubs sometimes.

Ranked Mode are useless and ranks mean nothing.

Mostly only do them for the achivements and then switch to Room/Player Matches.

2 minutes ago, Dayaan said:

Personally, I like them. It allows for better matchmaking and gives me a goal to work towards.

in the long-term you could be right, but I know I would have dropped SFV a lot sooner if it didn’t have the ranked mode it has

4 minutes ago, Mr.Cipher said:

Ranked Mode are useless and ranks mean nothing.

Mostly only do them for the achivements and then switch to Room/Player Matches.

I don't want to make blanket statements, but I also believe this to be true. I'm really good friends with someone who is possibly the best Krillin player in the US on DBFZ, and he's only at Super Saiyan God rank. I'm also really good friends with a lot of top 3rd Strike players, and they never play ranked. Hell, I can beat most people in higher ranks on 3rd Strike because I simply don't care/play ranked modes at all. A lot of really good people just want to play other really good people, and that's all it should come down to. This BS attention retainment strategy with ranked is only as good as your netcode, and then your audience, and then the game. Just remove it.

Edited by Dayaan
2 minutes ago, Dayaan said:

I don't want to make blanket statements, but I also believe this to be true. I'm really good friends with someone who is possibly the best Krillin player in the US on DBFZ, and he's only at Super Saiyan God rank. I'm also really good friends with a lot of top 3rd Strike players, and they never play ranked. Hell, I can beat most people in higher ranks on 3rd Strike because I simply don't care/play ranked modes at all. A lot of really good people just want to play other really good people, and that's all it should come down to. This BS attention retainment strategy with ranked is only as good as your netcode, and then your audience, and then the game. Just remove it.

I disagree. It really gives people something tangible to chase.

Besides, if people aren't interested anyway, they'll just ignore it.

More features are good things.

2 minutes ago, Volt said:

I disagree. It really gives people something tangible to chase.

Besides, if people aren't interested anyway, they'll just ignore it.

More features are good things.

Tangible to chase, sure, but to what end? They'll just hit a wall where netcode holds them back. It'll always do that. That's why I recommend just playing people who you can learn from in lounges.

Tangible to chase, sure, but to what end? They'll just hit a wall where netcode holds them back. It'll always do that. That's why I recommend just playing people who you can learn from in lounges.

While the bulk of your good matches will inevitably come from lounges, there's stuff to be learned in shorter sets with randoms, especially if you play in tournaments.

You inevitably wind up learning the patterns of your usual training partners, so there's a bit less adaptation and learning on the fly than when compared to randoms.

Throwing my hat in the Ranked talk.

I feel like ranking up is a little treat for winning. It feels good. But I don't really think it tells you how good you are. 

Is a "Ultra-Mega-Diamond Overlord God Killer" going to be better than a "One legged grandma with Diabetes"?

Probably. But Most ranked systems can be exploited. If you can find a trick that works against 60% of players for 2 matches before they figure it out, you can win quit and rank up pretty quick.

This of course falls apart at higher ranks, but katarina's 4 spamming will rank you up and make you think you're better at the game than you actually are. 

I think using ranks as benchmarks for yourself getting better is a dangerous practice. You really should be identifying weaknesses in your game and improving those. That's how you get better.

I'm not good at fighting games, but I have a lot of combat sport experience, and that's where I'm getting this philosophy. people that were obsessed with belts usually suffered as a result, where as people that had a mindset of "i'm not going to give up my back today" usually ended up being BEASTS 

1 hour ago, Dayaan said:

I don't even play the game but I'm hyped. Have you people seen Rambo? Why has this thread not devolved into excited chimp noises yet?

Rambo on his own would be cool. 

Rambo in the game after Terminator and RoboCop, and all the other characters with firearms in their back pocket is less exciting. Also I’m suspicious of how well he will be implemented. Playing Terminator in MK ended up being less exciting than it sounds. He felt really generic and iirc his coolest move wasn’t in a tournament variation.

I actually thought the coolest person in that trailer was Rain, and I say that as someone barely familiar with him.

Edited by Vhozite
6 minutes ago, KingTubb said:

Wait... SPAWN IS IN THERE??? 

man. I know we're kinda ragging on guest spots, but MKs guests are pretty enticing 

He is, and has some decent moves with his cape and chains... one thing you need to know is MK11 is a pretty neutral heavy game. You’d expect him to have crazy shit, but he’s basically a dude with a sub machine gun and decent ranged normals. Keith David does the voice though

also, i realize the contradiction of saying “neutral heavy game” and sub machine gun in the same paragraph 🤣. MK11 does have pretty strong zoning that works very differently then games like SF.

Edited by Mattatsu
22 minutes ago, Darc_Requiem said:

People give me shit for my stance on guest characters. But NRS games and Tekken are prime example of games with a shit ton of their own characters wasting multiple slots on guests. It was cool when I was younger but the novelty has worn off .

Tekken at least got some good guests for the most part.

Noctis not being in SC6 instead is WTF-tier, but Akuma and Geese are excellent guest picks.

Meanwhile, NRS brought us... MK chars in Injustice, which also had Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and MK11 has a ton of guests that make absolutely no fucking sense like Rambo and Robocop.

Real talk, I wouldn't be mad at all if Capcom put Kazuya in SF6 as a guest.

Just now, KingTubb said:

y'all are making it sound better and better...

I'll probably pick it up once I build my new hitbox. I only played it once but I remember it needing 8 buttons 

You don’t need 8 buttons to fight. There are shortcuts to get around that and i never use more than 6 buttons on my hitbox, except for maybe the menus... you may have to use L2 and R2 in them. I’ll check later today.

4 minutes ago, KingTubb said:

y'all are making it sound better and better...

I'll probably pick it up once I build my new hitbox. I only played it once but I remember it needing 8 buttons 

MK? 4 button game + throw, but I don't remember if the throw is a Macro or needs it's own button. Plus block button, but again, I don't remember if you need it.

Edited by Dayaan

That's good. I felt like it has weird environmental attacks that were bound to L2 and some other weird bullshit attack thingy that was attached to it's own independent button that didn't have a two-button alternative. 

Mind you, I played with some 20 year old that smelt like cheese, would giggle anytime someone cursed, played johnny cage cause he flips the bird, and had to leave the local cause him mom was picking him up at 9. 

Pretty miserable experience

MK? 4 button game + throw, but I don't remember if the throw is a Macro or needs it's own button. Plus block button, but again, I don't remember if you need it.

There’s also stance switch and amplify which are important, but again, there are macros to get around needing dedicated buttons for them

3 minutes ago, Dayaan said:

Throw can be done just like in SF with the lp+lk buttons, but it also has its own button too.

And yeah there is a block button you definitely need lol

edit: yeah forgot about the amp button. It’s a 4 button fighter in terms of attack buttons but you definitely need more than that

Edited by Vhozite