Stage Select

The Marvel comics and Mcu thread

23 minutes ago, OPTIMUS124 said:

I'm all for the movie, but was that really the best title they could come up with? 

It’s a multi-textual thing. 

* Tribute to Chadwick 

* Canonically Wakanda is always on the brink of collapse/all-out civil war despite being the richest and most advanced country in the world 

* The movie is dealing with T’Challa’s death 

* The movie is dealing with Wakanda’s War with Atlantis which iirc in the comics started with the Avengers vs. X-Men event. 

Edited by iStu X
39 minutes ago, iStu X said:

It’s a multi-textual thing. 

* Tribute to Chadwick 

* Canonically Wakanda is always on the brink of collapse/all-out civil war despite being the richest and most advanced country in the world 

* The movie is dealing with T’Challa’s death 

* The movie is dealing with Wakanda’s War with Atlantis which iirc in the comics started with the Avengers vs. X-Men event. 

I get it . . . but just seems like leaning into the Wakandan salute.

29 minutes ago, RSG3 said:

Man.....it fucking sucks....

That might be the worst MCU poster....

Yeah, even to the point where it has BP's eye's visible while in the mask. 

That said, I'm certain they will be using the tribute Marvel Intro from BP with this movie. 

I do honestly hope that they keep the energy release as the end shot from now till the MCU is over.

Edited by OPTIMUS124
1 hour ago, BornWinner said:

Namor lost the custody to Atlantis.

It’s named after one of the Pantheon gods of the Aztec, Tlaloc.

IMG_9155.png

Hmmm 🤔🤔🤔 im curious if its a trademark thing or they really trying to go full in on mexico or both

Yeah, it is probably more they don't want to look like they are copying Aquaman since the current depiction of the character has already been moved into the public eye a few years now. It is ironic, Marvel's Captain Marvel was the later version but due to them constantly revamping and using it there's is one people know and refer to when you say it. But their version of Atlantis which predates Aquaman and such has to changed since DC has the mainstream consciousness with that mythical city's name and their version of it's king.

9 minutes ago, RSG3 said:

I mean does it really? Is the name of the city really that important?

It's not only the name but the city itself, the greatest of the underwater countries. Also where Namor and Poseidon met. But with this change I am thinking they will probably make some unrelated Aztec god Namor's new patron god.

Edited by AriesWarlock
1 minute ago, AriesWarlock said:

It's not only the name but the city itself, the greatest of the underwater countries. Also where Namor and Poseidon met. But with this change I am thinking they will probably make some unrelated Aztec god Namor's new patron god.

If you’re still expecting a 1:1 adaptation you’re playing the game wrong. I like what they’re presumably doing with the Atlanteans. 

24 minutes ago, iStu X said:

If you’re still expecting a 1:1 adaptation you’re playing the game wrong. I like what they’re presumably doing with the Atlanteans. 

I am not expecting a 1:1 adaptation for other properties. Namor and Atlantis? It was very doable. He's attacking Wakanda. We know the comic source for that.

24 minutes ago, RSG3 said:

If Atlantis doesnt exist in the MCU then it cant be the greatest of the Underwater Countries.

And Mexican gods are awesome, this could be a really good thing for Namor.

More reasons to dislike the MCU.

Unfortunately, the Mexican gods have not been awesome in the comics. Their appearances have been few and they are jobbers. Maybe the African and Chinese gods have had less appearances.

We'll see. Maybe Quetzalcoatl will be cool.

Edited by AriesWarlock

I get not liking the change. As a comic book fan one of the most annoying things many of us old heads have had to see is that especially the Marvel comics will bend over backwards to match popular MCU traits to the point of discarding decades of canon to make it fit. That being said as a Namor fan, Atlantis name change isn't that big of a deal. 

Now if they didn't let him at least once say Imperious Rex before wreaking shit, we got problems. 

7 minutes ago, Wellman said:

I get not liking the change. As a comic book fan one of the most annoying things many of us old heads have had to see is that especially the Marvel comics will bend over backwards to match popular MCU traits to the point of discarding decades of canon to make it fit. That being said as a Namor fan, Atlantis name change isn't that big of a deal. 

Now if they didn't let him at least once say Imperious Rex before wreaking shit, we got problems. 

But do you know what Imperious Rex means?

namor-imperius-rex-thor.jpg

4 minutes ago, Maxx said:

Lmfao how?? Where do they fit into the mcu? 

They already told us who they are and how they fit into the MCU during WandaVision. It was in passing but they told us. They’re an exploration team of astronauts from SWORD who have yet to check in after The Snap. 

that’s more context than what Peter was given. And just like peters explanation of his power set the F4’s will likely be done in passing or finding them at the crash site on earth or whatever. 

Edited by iStu X
1 hour ago, iStu X said:

They already told us who they are and how they fit into the MCU during WandaVision. It was in passing but they told us. They’re an exploration team of astronauts from SWORD who have yet to check in after The Snap. 

that’s more context than what Peter was given. And just like peters explanation of his power set the F4’s will likely be done in passing or finding them at the crash site on earth or whatever. 

As a comics old head I recognize there's a lot of comic stuff we can do without and the adaptions often fixes the problems with the original stories. The movie Civil War is infinity better than the trash fire it was based on. No Way Home is a better take on One More Day. Let's not forget how pre-MCU Iron Man was a borderline villain in the comics. He needed RDJ to make him likable again

Edited by Hawkingbird
9 minutes ago, Wellman said:

Yeah, I also prefer my Thunderbolt teams leaning more towards anti hero/villains forced to do good. This group looks like they are aiming for a friendly neighborhood type grind based on the cover and preview.

Yeah. The recent incarnation of Thunderbolts during devil’s Reign was the usual suspects. US Agent, Shocker, Rhino, etc except even then a lot of them were members against their will due to Fisk having powers of The Purple Man.

This new and seemingly Barton led team is way to OP to be friendly neighborhood shit. 

Edited by iStu X

295884721_8008501572556426_8714694707964

295850065_7989080804498503_2650070475997

@iStu XI don't know if you've been keeping up with the X-Men releases of the past 3 weeks

Spoiler

that stuff has been so good. Immortal X-Men has been quite interesting. Pity about Selene. And now Sinister was found to be a clone of Dr. Stasis?  The X-office is really making him shine. He steals the spotlight quite often. And in the future he makes a spaceship powered by Sebastian Shaw's skin? Sick, but metal 🤘

Storm had a very strong showing in the latest X-Men Red pretty much letting T'Challa know she knew Gentle was a spy for Wakanda. Most of all, in the intergalactic meeting when Storm told everybody that mutantkind did not need their permission to live, that was so cool. Mutants not letting them push them around.

Now all we need is a family dinner scene with Xavier, Legion, Xandra, Juggernaut, and Cassandra Nova lol.

Amazing that Xavier could catch her daughter's psychic screams from so far away and retain her in his brain. I do keep wondering if it is his brain and body, or is he still using Phantomex's body though.

Edited by AriesWarlock
8 hours ago, RSG3 said:

If Atlantis doesnt exist in the MCU then it cant be the greatest of the Underwater Countries.

And Mexican gods are awesome, this could be a really good thing for Namor.

They will never make the Mayan and Aztec gods justice.

They will be heavily sanitized and disneyfied that may as well be considered original characters and not the gods of the myths.

At least with the greek mythology you can still have some semblance of it, even if cleaned.

But the whole mythology of aztecs and mayans is centered around violence, blood and human sacrifice.