Stage Select

The MEGASHOCK Saloon Thread

20 minutes ago, Sonero said:

I haven't tried Darling in the Franxx yet. Heard its basically Eva without the good parts.

Eva sucks, Darling in the Franxx is actually a really good show that gets shit on a lot by people who have never seen it due to the pervy designs.

It's basically a story about a special group of clones who figure out sex ed by themselves and uncover the secret behind the messed up dystopian world they live in.  Somewhere in there there's also robots and giant monsters.

9 minutes ago, beesuit said:

Darking in the Franxx just took the fruity looking mecha straight from Star Driver

https://youtu.be/B5NTMFraP2Y

I liked Star Driver too. 🙃

14 minutes ago, Vhozite said:

What other big mecha series are there? Only non-gundam one I’ve seen is IGPX, and that was pretty short. 

shit I loved that show. Just typing it makes me want to rewatch it. 

Umm the patlabor and macross movies. 

Oh and Big-O  it didn't come back but it's one of my favorites off atmosphere alone.

2 minutes ago, Sonero said:

Hmm...

On SRK since 09...late 20s early 30s, aye?

🧐

I watched all of Eva on DVD a million years ago. I gave it a fair shot but the obvious lack of budget and flashbacks mixed with mindfuck weren't enough to make me love it like some people seem to.  I watched both movies too and honestly the only thing I can come up with is that Eva isn't that good -- the director is just so messed up he forced everyone into liking it through shock value alone.

I haven't seen the remakes -- maybe they will change my mind.  But there's a lot of modern anime out there that's way better than Eva.

22 minutes ago, Vhozite said:

What other big mecha series are there?

Here a Short List of Japanese Mecha Anime

Big O, Macross, Macross/Robotech, Voltron (80s), Voltron (Netflix), beast King GO Lion (OG Anime Voltron based on), Genesis Climber MOSPEADA, Brain Powered, Armored Trooper Votoms, Gurren Lagann, Patlabor (Mecha-Police series), The Transformers Armada Trilogy (3 separate but continues series), Blue Gender, Apple Seed, Bubblegum Crisis (team of all Female Iron man suit wearers set in Cyber Punk Tokyo), Getter Robo, Mazinger, Sakura Wars, Vision of Escaflowne, Space Runaway Ideon (Grimdark as hell), Aquarion, Maze the Megaburst Space, Ghost in the Shell, Super Dimension Cavalry Southern Cross, Gunbuster (Most Bad Ass Intro for title/hero Mech ever), Magic Knight Rayearth, Martian Successor Nadesico, Galaxy Fräulein Yuna (Magic Girl Anime but with power armor instead of Magic), Full Metal Panic, Diebuster (Sequel to Gun Buster), Guyver: The Bioboosted Armor, Mega Man: Upon a Star, Aura Battler Dunbine

Edited by DarkSakul
1 minute ago, misterBee said:

the director is just so messed up he forced everyone into liking it through shock value alone.

Hmm..you ducked my age question.

I think there's certain age groups that are going to respond differently to Eva. Its similar to something that goes on when people talk about Cowboy Bebop. I've noticed a lot of younger anime viewers say that it sucks (which is preposterous but I'll hold off on that for the moment).

Why do you feel Evangelion sucks?

7 minutes ago, Vhozite said:

What other big mecha series are there? Only non-gundam one I’ve seen is IGPX, and that was pretty short. 

shit I loved that show. Just typing it makes me want to rewatch it. 

Macross is the other old school iconic mech show that is internationally known.   Aka Robotech here in the states after it got bastardized. 

If you want to find a mecha you always have a good chance of finding them by the studios that mostly put them out like of course Sunrise and Bones.....  You got Gainax too of course but I haven't seen anything from them for a while now, just all their old stuff I guess.     I think Production IG put out one of my favorite mecha shows recently being Gargantia on the Verdurous Planet.    Was mad with what Satelite did with their second go at Macross with that shitty delta anime, but it's not like Studio Nue is that active so we get what we can I guess.   Really anything is preferable to Sunrise wasting all their talent on shitty Love Live sequels

Just now, DarkSakul said:

Guyver: The Bioboosted Armor

Guyver is about monsters, not robots.  It was my favorite show growing up -- it sparked my life-long dream of becoming an animator and is the reason I went to film school.  I learned how to sing the show's theme song when I was 5 years old. ❤️

1 minute ago, Sonero said:

Hmm..you ducked my age question.

I think there's certain age groups that are going to respond differently to Eva. Its similar to something that goes on when people talk about Cowboy Bebop. I've noticed a lot of younger anime viewers say that it sucks (which is preposterous but I'll hold off on that for the moment).

Why do you feel Evangelion sucks?

Yeah I'm 31.  I watched EVA in middle/high school and wasn't impressed.  I liked the some of the story ideas and the animation was good when it wasn't being rehashed over and over, but I feel like it was more of an exercise to see how much weird stuff the director could get away with.  It may have been revolutionary, but that doesn't always mean good.  I could get into a whole long spiel about it...

1 minute ago, Angel said:

Lol at Bee claiming that there was an "obvious lack of budget" in the og eva show......this came out in 95?    Please compare the animation in that to shows that came out that year and try again bud.     

A lot of the endless recaps and white text on black background was because of planning/budget issues.  The animation that DID get completed wasn't the problem lololol.  The issue was that they couldn't get their shit together and animate everything they wanted to.

The movies didn't suffer from this problem.

3 minutes ago, Angel said:

Saying eva sucks while championing a weirdo show like ditf is a pretty bad take and I am not even an eva fan like that.  

Fuck look at these mechas bro...............

spacer.png

lol, just say you don't like mecha and have no clue what people actually want to see in the genre.  

I love all mecha.  I'm super into mecha shows.  I've seen almost every Gundam series, Macross, Patlabor, etc.  I even like obscure shit like Detonator Orgun and Orguss II.

I ALSO like weird mecha like Darling and Star Driver.  You definitely can't hate the animation in those shows either -- it's gorgeous.

It's not that I dislike mecha.  I just love more kinds than the generic stuff everyone thinks of first. ❤️

2 minutes ago, DarkSakul said:

Eva isn't what I think is GAINAX best Mecha series, or eve close to it.

Gunbuster / Diebuster are sickkkk

2 minutes ago, Angel said:

Take note that fan theories on why the last episode was the way it is are just fan theories......claiming an entire show is bad due to a single episode is just a bad take.     The rest of the show had incredible animation for it's time, just like big o

It's not fan theories though:

Starting with episode 16, the show changed drastically, discarding the grand narrative concerning salvation for a narrative focusing on the individual characters.[48][49] This change coincided with Anno's development of an interest in psychology after a friend lent him a book on mental illness.[50] This focus culminated in a psychoanalysis of the characters in the two final episodes.[10] The production ran so close to the airing deadline that the completed scenes used in the preview of the twenty-fifth episode had to be redesigned to work with the new ending.[51] These episodes feature heavy use of abstract animation,[52] flashbacks,[53] simple line drawings, photographs[54] and fixed image scenes with voice-over dialogue.[55] Some critics speculated that these unconventional animation choices resulted from budget cuts,[56] but Toshio Okada stated that while it wasn't only a problem of schedule or budget, Anno "couldn't decide the ending until the time came, that's his style".[57] These two episodes sparked controversy and condemnation among fans and critics of the series.[58] In 1997, Hideaki Anno and Gainax released two animated feature films, providing an alternative ending for the show: Death & Rebirth and The End of Evangelion.[59]

I get why people like Eva.  It's got a catchy OP and it did interesting things for its time.  I just don't think it's that good.

Anyway that's enough anime discussion for me.  These new themes won't write themselves...

So it wasn't a budget problem that plagued the entire show like you made it seem it was an Anno problem.    Meh whatever.    If you like butt controls and japanese plots to increase their birth rates then it's whatever, zero two is just a wacker version of Asuka

Damn was Orguss that obscure?    I had all the ova's. 

50 minutes ago, Vhozite said:

Aight, if you really wanna know,  you can never go wrong  with the GOAT mecha cartoons from the mind of Go Nagai!! They are like from late 70's but many of these got sequels from 2000's forward

Daiku Maryu Gaiking or Great Dragon Gaiking. The ship that transports the robot is called the great space dragon. The great fucking space dragon!! 🤘 And the robot has been stabbing fools with his horns before Frieza did it

Saiyuuki Starzinger. I suppose the three warriors are not mechas but rebel androids being "brainwashed" to help a space princess travel to a planet to carry out an important mission. Lots of misadventures on the way!

Mazinger

Edited by AriesWarlock
1 hour ago, misterBee said:

Eva sucks

While i like Eva, i think that RahXephon is much better, not to mention that has more gut punching moments even to the very last episode.

Without spoiling, in the 1st 5 mins somethong ocurred that had me SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOo pissed because i couldnt believe that shit happened in the very last episode, lol

Bloody long shot, but any Dutch folk here? A friend sent me some Oliehoorn fritessaus a couple of months ago, and I'm hooked. I'm going to be importing more. Is Oliehoorn the best? All I see here on sale are Remia brand stuff, and getting it imported, I don't wanna screw it up.

Edited by JustBrowsing