Stage Select

The MEGASHOCK Saloon Thread 3: Chinder Chagger Edition

7 minutes ago, Sonero said:

It did? How come?

If I had to guess is because Bruce comes from broken home and Jenn has had a stable family life. Not sure of the MCU but in the comics, Bruce has it far harder than Jenn and she knows that. His dad hated him, was jealous of him, and beat the crap out of him regularly. Jenn was one of the people he turned to when they were growing up. So she is well aware it. So it comes off as condescending and frankly insensitive in that context.

Edited by Darc_Requiem
1 minute ago, Darc_Requiem said:

If I had to guess is because Bruce comes from broken home and Jenn has had a stable family life. Not sure of the MCU but in the comics, Bruce has it far harder than Jenn and she knows that. His dad hated him, was jealous of him, and beat the crap out of him regularly. Jenn was one of the people he turned to when they were growing up. So she is well aware it. So it comes off as condescending and frankly insensitive in that context.

So because Jen comes from a well adjusted home and entered a field full of adversarial relationships where she had to control her emotions to succeed...she can't have better control over her emotions than the guy thst was abused and had to bottle up a bunch of anger?

😂

Yeah, no wonder why one is able to get better control of the hulk than the other. But hey, don't let that making sense stop anybody.

9 minutes ago, Sonero said:

It did? How come?

She's talking about being patronized by her asshole coworkers compared to her cousin who had to battle to maintain control of his body vs a literal inner monster, suffered massive PTSD and secluded himself due to the people he hurt and didn't want to hurt more, and actually tried to kill himself, and that was before he was beat to hell and back by the guy he wasn't strong enough to stop from ending half of the life in the universe.

There really is no comparison in the amount of mental stressors between the two. Her saying she had to work infinitely harder than him lacks self-awareness on a huge scale.

She-Hulk the red moon saga: Watch a cis-gendered birthing person's epic struggle to find chocolate during her period!

Watch her boldly defy the evil white patriarchy while grappling with looking fabulous while bloated!  GIRL POWAH!!

Tune in next week to watch her defeat a Gamma Powered yeast infection and wierdly flirt with her cousin!

Edited by J-ride

What's funny is Jen is better at controlling her emotions, always has been, even in the comics her struggle wasn't with anger which Bruce's big issue and something he's not very good at doing, by his own damn admission. 

So ya'll mad at shit Bruce and Jen have known for 40 years. She has work to do with her emotions, the show shows us this blatantly, but it's true she's better at controlling her ANGER then Bruce is. Always has been. Kinda the whole deal with Bruce is that he's not very good at anger regulation. Not so with She-Hulk she has her own issues to deal with completely separate from Bruce. 

This thinking that Bruce grew up abused so he would be better at controlling himself doesn't even play out in real life, like at all. It's why I clapped back yesterday at the notion that hard times make hard men. They don't. They never have. They make broken men who are unable to properly regulate themselves and their emotions. It's why men who go to war suffer for the rest of their lives with it. The men who came home from WWII, Vietnam, they didn't come home hard, they came home broken and destroyed, mentally, emotionally and physically. 

So the idea that Bruce would be able to regulate his emotions because he was abused as a child doesn't come close to adding up. It's the kind of conclusion you can only come to only watching American Propoganda war films and crazy action movies put of Hollywood (or Videogames) while being unable to divorce fiction from reality. 

Hard times make broken people. Period. Bruce is garbage at regulating his anger and always has been. Man had to run away to the Rain Forest where he wouldn't hurt anyone cuz he couldn't keep the lid on. Absolutely Jen is better then him at it, she lived a less abusive life while also dealing with the attitude problems that come with being a female professional. Shit Bruce still doesn't have his Hulk persona under control he had to invent a device to make him go back to Banner Form. He doesn't even have control of it now. 

Edited by RSG3

A lot of Jen’s hulk-outs are related to people manipulating the fact she’s a hulk and how much gamma she regulates. The more she’s charged with gamma the less Jen Walters “exists” in a sense.

It’s why sometimes she’s still funny, charismatic and sexy Jen Walters she hulk or the giant muscular She-Hulk who talks and acts like “a hulk” 

Bruce’s depends on a lot of things. It’s usually due to his dissociative personality disorder and ptsd. Yes anger plays into it a bit but the common trend of hulk comics is he finally figures out how to control his persona’s, or anger but then an event happens that triggers something in him which causes him to lose control. so he has to figure out a new way to control it or the personalities. 

Edited by iStu X

Friendly reminder that if you're a fan of something you've not obligated to indulge in every single aspect of it. Star Wars/Marvel/DC/etc have stuff that's widespread but sometimes it's more niche and not for everyone. 

I got what I wanted so far from the MCU so anything else I can take or leave and be happy of what has already been done. 👍

38 minutes ago, Reiraku said:

She's talking about being patronized by her asshole coworkers compared to her cousin who had to battle to maintain control of his body vs a literal inner monster, suffered massive PTSD and secluded himself due to the people he hurt and didn't want to hurt more, and actually tried to kill himself, and that was before he was beat to hell and back by the guy he wasn't strong enough to stop from ending half of the life in the universe.

Way back when, my wife used to be a tool salesperson for Sears. Since I live on the border, you can't imagine the amount of hilarious machismo she had to deal with from Mexican men. The first thing they would do is treat her like she didn't know shit and they'd end up getting their shit mixed because my wife was awesome at her job. HURR DURR "its woke" is some dumb shit. That part of She Hulk is some real life shit. There's a hilarious amount of men who can't handle women being competent at something. Even women with Phds doing presentations get it when presenting papers they wrote.

44 minutes ago, Reiraku said:

There really is no comparison in the amount of mental stressors between the two. Her saying she had to work infinitely harder than him lacks self-awareness on a huge scale.

She had on a daily basis. There's two things you're ignoring here: 1) abused people have massive emotional disregulation and 2) people who aren't get to practice handling their emotions correctly. Why do you think all sorts of weird behavior are associated with past trauma? Because impulsivity is also something that arises from abusive backgrounds. People who tend to have a bunch of tattoos also tend to have checkered childhoods. Who is it that has a problem controlling rage at an impulsive level? Oh yeah, Banner. Who is the one who can't.

Oh right, the one that was rasied by parents who helped her along with dealing and who then had to practice it constantly for her job.

Haters out here not making much sense.

12 minutes ago, TheInfernoman said:

Friendly reminder that if you're a fan of something you've not obligated to indulge in every single aspect of it. Star Wars/Marvel/DC/etc have stuff that's widespread but sometimes it's more niche and not for everyone. 

I got what I wanted so far from the MCU so anything else I can take or leave and be happy of what has already been done. 👍

While true, you also probably shouldn't comment much on the media you don't consume, even if your a fan of the greater media at large. I haven't seen Obi-Wan Wan or Book of Bobba Fett so I don't comment on them. It goes both ways. 

I think the disagreement we're having here is a matter of success vs effort. Jen is absolutely more successful than Bruce in controlling her emotions, no doubt, but she also doesn't have to work as hard at it. I didn't want to include the reasons from the books because even the shows themselves don't follow those as much, so it wouldn't really apply as cleanly. Bruce has to work harder at it because the hurdles he has to overcome in controlling himself are degrees larger than what Jen has. He is successful, but it took a lot more work over a longer period of time due to these factors. Jen, by comparison, has not gone through the same things. She's successful as well, but she doesn't have as much to overcome to be successful. She's not working harder, she just has less to work with.

eh, Hawkeye never would've been on my radar because it's Hawkeye.  Time for that delicious blasphemy--- That dude has always been a waste of a spot on the roster, imo.  Here we have a team that is known for having a literal god, a large monster of infinite strength and insane regenerative abilities, a super soldier, a tech genius with a super suit that can do damn near anything.... and this guy that specializes in...archery....and regular hand to hand combat if necessary, but no powers to give him an edge.  It's tough for me to find heroes that don't have powers to be cool in comparison to the ones that do have powers.  Batman and some of the Bat family of characters are really the only exceptions I'll give a pass.  Most superhero teams are dealing with things like powerful aliens that threaten the existence of all human civilization.  "Regular humans" are outclassed by default when a team is dealing with situations like that.  Dude and his daughter were a waste of space in that shitty Avengers videogame too, imo.

I wonder how many comic fans out there would bother putting "regular human" characters on a team if we're in a real life situation where we need to assemble a group of superheroes?  haha no way I'm wasting time adding an archer to my team.... or any other simple shit like a dude who's "power" is that he's insanely good at boxing...nah, leave that to the B-team that deals with street-level threats.

Edited by MillionX

To clarify: I'm not saying the show itself is bad, or that it's dumb, "woke", or any such descriptor. Only that the scene I am referring to left a bad taste in my mouth for the reasons described. I might watch it sometime in the future, since it pulls a lot from one of my favorite book runs, I'm just not inspired much to do so now.

18 minutes ago, Reiraku said:

Bruce has to work harder at it because the hurdles he has to overcome in controlling himself are degrees larger than what Jen has. He is successful, but it took a lot more work over a longer period of time due to these factors. Jen, by comparison, has not gone through the same things. She's successful as well, but she doesn't have as much to overcome to be successful. She's not working harder, she just has less to work with.

That's literally how it works in real life. People without trauma and good parents are better are dealing with emotions than those with trauma.

I'm not even sure what the actual complaints are here. People are mad she had childhood?

11 minutes ago, MillionX said:

eh, Hawkeye never would've been on my radar because it's Hawkeye.  Time for that delicious blasphemy--- That dude has always been a waste of a spot on the roster, imo.  Here we have a team that is known for having a literal god, a large monster of infinite strength and insane regenerative abilities, a super soldier, a tech genius with a super suit that can do damn near anything.... and this guy that specializes in...archery....and regular hand to hand combat if necessary, but no powers to give him an edge.  It's tough for me to find heroes that don't have powers to be cool in comparison to the ones that do have powers.  Batman and some of the Bat family of characters are really the only exceptions I'll give a pass.  Most superhero teams are dealing with things like powerful aliens that threaten the existence of all human civilization.  "Regular humans" are outclassed by default when a team is dealing with situations like that.  Dude and his daughter were a waste of space in that shitty Avengers videogame too, imo.

I wonder how many comic fans out there would bother putting "regular human" characters on a team if we're in a real life situation where we need to assemble a group of superheroes?  haha no way I'm wasting time adding an archer to my team.... or any other simple shit like a dude who's "power" is that he's insanely good at boxing...nah, leave that to the B-team that deals with street-level threats.

A lot of people love Hawkeye for the things you mentioned. Despite who his team mates are they all still see him as valuable.

He’s the best archer in the world. 

though he’s not an iron fist or Shang chi he’s a expert to master level in various forms of martial arts.

he’s a world class spy up there with Black Widow and Bucky.

he invented and creates most of his specialized arrows.

a master gymnast

and he’s also an expert to master in other weapons as well like swords, knives, tonfa, bow staff and so on. 

He may not be as “cool” as Thor, Hulk or whatever but he shouldn’t be slept on.

Edited by iStu X
Just now, Sonero said:

That's literally how it works in real life. People without trauma and good parents are better are dealing with emotions than those with trauma.

I'm not even sure what the actual complaints are here. People are mad she had childhood?

Let me try to put it another way.

Persona A: "Why are you complaining you have to travel 3 miles to get groceries? I have to travel 6 miles! I have it way harder than you!"

Person B: "You have a car. I'm walking with a cane in a bad neighborhood."

I'm not mad that she had it better, but that she's saying that she had it worse.

1 hour ago, Darc_Requiem said:

1 hour ago, Sonero said:

So because Jen comes from a well adjusted home and entered a field full of adversarial relationships where she had to control her emotions to succeed...she can't have better control over her emotions than the guy thst was abused and had to bottle up a bunch of anger?

😂

Yeah, no wonder why one is able to get better control of the hulk than the other. But hey, don't let that making sense stop anybody.

No that is literally the opposite of what I said. What are you talking about? Her coming from a stable home is a big reason why she has better control of her emotions than Bruce. You are literally restating my point while completely misrepresenting what I said. 

@RSG3I gave you a thumbs down for the same reason, I did Sonero.

Edited by Darc_Requiem
16 minutes ago, Reiraku said:

Persona A: "Why are you complaining you have to travel 3 miles to get groceries? I have to travel 6 miles! I have it way harder than you!"

I'm not mad that she had it better, but that she's saying that she had it worse.

All of your complaining and arguments are kinda pointless to be honest since you only watched a single clip and without context. 

She never said she had it harder than Bruce. At all. Ever. She said (in a teasing and facetious way) she was better at it controlling her anger and being a hulk. 

She even says she learn to control her anger at an early age due to how she’s been treated her entire life due to being a woman. Constantly being belittled, harassed, cat called, looked down upon, never taken seriously, taken for granted, etc due to being a woman. 

It’s a valid statement cause it’s what pretty much every woman on this planet goes through. 

Edit; you can also tell as the series progresses a lot of her anger comes from how none of her family take her seriously. It’s not that she didn’t come from a loving home. It’s that regardless of what she does or how successful she becomes no one in her family seems to care. 

Edited by iStu X
2 minutes ago, iStu X said:

All of your complaining and arguments are kinda pointless to be honest since you only watched a single clip and without context. 

She never said she had it harder than Bruce. At all. Ever. She just said she learn to control her anger at an early age due to how she’s been treated her entire life due to being a woman. Constantly being belittled, looked down upon, never taken seriously, taken for granted, etc due to being a woman. 

It’s a valid statement cause it’s what pretty much every woman on this planet goes through. 

It's valid if it weren't for one thing, that she says she does it infinitely more than Bruce. Strike that one part from the statement, and I am in full agreement with her. If she were talking to just about anyone else, she'd have a definite point. He's one of the few people where that comparison doesn't work.

10 minutes ago, Darc_Requiem said:

I gave you a thumbs down for the same reason, I did Sonero.

I don't remember responding to any points you've made.......

I'd argue she does do it infinitely more then Bruce. She actually has to control it. Bruce runs away to remote locations, invents machines to force him into particular states. 

He's not controlling it no matter how much Professor Hulk claims he is. He's not. 

Edited by RSG3
11 minutes ago, Reiraku said:
15 minutes ago, Sonero said:

If you go somewhere by car and I take the bus, we can still complain about traffic. We don't experience it the same way, but its still traffic.

Her outburst wasn't that she has it harder than Bruce. Her outburst is that she has had to eat a lot of shit and learn to deal with it. Just like my wife ate shit form random customers for being a woman selling tools.  People are adding extra to it for the hell of it. Shit most of it is an absolute inability to empathize with somebody from a different gender.

The odds of Jen haven't had experinces that really pissed her off and she had to cool herself off are really high. Bruce was assuming that Jen didn't know how to keep her cool from the jump.

Just now, Sonero said:

If you go somewhere by car and I take the bus, we can still complain about traffic. We don't experience it the same way, but its still traffic.

Her outburst wasn't that she has it harder than Bruce. Her outburst is that she has had to eat a lot of shit and learn to deal with it. Just like my wife ate shit form random customers for being a woman selling tools.  People are adding extra to it for the hell of it. Shit most of it is an absolute inability to empathize with somebody from a different gender.

The odds of Jen haven't had experinces that really pissed her off and she had to cool herself off are really high. Bruce was assuming that Jen didn't know how to keep her cool from the jump.

I agree with you on how Bruce was assuming how Jen didn't know how to keep her cool. He's definitely making a dumb assumption there. Likewise though, she was wrong for saying that she does it more than him, in my opinion. I just can't compare her life experiences to life or death PTSD, survivor's guilt, and attempted suicide. 

1 minute ago, Darc_Requiem said:

Then I owe you an apology. Sorry man. 

Edit: Thumbs Down removed.

No no that's not what I meant lol. You're welcome to disagree or thumbs down or whatever if that's how you feel lol. I just didn't remember responding to something you said. Maybe I did without realizing it? 

9 minutes ago, Reiraku said:

It's valid if it weren't for one thing, that she says she does it infinitely more than Bruce. Strike that one part from the statement, and I am in full agreement with her. If she were talking to just about anyone else, she'd have a definite point. He's one of the few people where that comparison doesn't work.

Again. You’re seeing it without the context. Bruce keeps badgering her and belittling her saying she needs to do a-through-Z to learn how to control everything and she’s like “naw fam. I learned how to deal with my anger and control my anger. That’s the difference between us” 

she still laments and let’s Bruce train her on how to control certain aspects of being a hulk (which includes ways to even better control her anger) and they bond over it. She even finds common ground with him several times through their training. 

Edited by iStu X
1 minute ago, Reiraku said:

I agree with you on how Bruce was assuming how Jen didn't know how to keep her cool. He's definitely making a dumb assumption there. Likewise though, she was wrong for saying that she does it more than him, in my opinion. I just can't compare her life experiences to life or death PTSD, survivor's guilt, and attempted suicide. 

The problem is Jens right. She's controlling it. He's not. He's pretending he is but he really isn't. She does do it more then him because he isn't really doing it. Inventing machines to force you into a form, or being angry all the time isn't controlling it. It's just bypassing or accepting he has no actual control of it. 

Suffering with his trauma isn't controlling it. I highly disagree he's controlling it very well. 

1 minute ago, iStu X said:

Again. You’re seeing it without the context. Bruce keeps badgering her and belittling her saying she needs to do a-through-Z to learn how to control everything and she’s like “naw fam. I learned how to deal with my anger and control my anger. That’s the difference between us” 

she still laments and let’s Bruce train her on how to control certain aspects of being a hulk and they bond over it. She even finds common ground with him several times through their training. 

I'm going to have to take your word on it and check out the series when I can. In a vacuum, it's a very poor way to represent their respective struggles.

2 minutes ago, Reiraku said:

I'm going to have to take your word on it and check out the series when I can. In a vacuum, it's a very poor way to represent their respective struggles.

That's why we shouldn't form our opinions in a vacuum. There is almost always more to it then the face value

Edited by RSG3
10 minutes ago, RSG3 said:

No no that's not what I meant lol. You're welcome to disagree or thumbs down or whatever if that's how you feel lol. I just didn't remember responding to something you said. Maybe I did without realizing it? 

Looking back on it, I think you were responding to Reiraku. Also, in a serious discussion. I don't like to thumbs down without saying why. We disagree on stuff all the time. 

Edited by Darc_Requiem
1 minute ago, RSG3 said:

The problem is Jens right. She's controlling it. He's not. He's pretending he is but he really isn't. She does do it more then him because he isn't really doing it. Inventing machines to force you into a form, or being angry all the time isn't controlling it. It's just bypassing or accepting he has no actual control of it. 

Suffering with his trauma isn't controlling it. I highly disagree he's controlling it very well. 

I disagree with this. By Endgame, he's controlling it VERY well. Having issues like these and not lashing out all the time is definitely controlling it. And using outside sources, whether it be machines or medication, is doing loads more to control it than most do.

He's doing a great job at controlling it. The suffering comes with trauma regardless, but he's keeping it in check and succeeding. If only everyone with similar problems could do the same

2 minutes ago, Reiraku said:

By Endgame, he's controlling it VERY well.

He's really not. He's pretending. He's pretending to be Banner and Hulk without being either of them. It's fake, it's not the real him. Hes refused to commit to either of them. He's pretending. 

If he had it under control he wouldn't have been stuck as Prof Hulk which he was, and he wouldn't have needed to invent a device to force him back into Banner mode which he has done by She-Hulk. 

So no he does not have it under control.

Edited by RSG3
3 minutes ago, RSG3 said:

That's why we shouldn't form our opinions in a vacuum. There is almost always more to it then the face value

When that's one of the most shown scenes in the marketing for the show, and it feels out of touch with the surrounding details, it doesn't do much to inspire one to watch the show.

Now if you tell me Bruce later sits down with Jen and just tells her everything he had to do to get to where he is, and she's taken back and apologizes for her outburst while he does the same for his lack of perspective, I'd watch this show in a heartbeat.

7 minutes ago, Reiraku said:

He's doing a great job at controlling it.

Except he isn’t and even admits such in Shu-Hulk. It’s why he has adrenaline and gamma regulator on his wrist.  He also mentions how hard it is to control it still when it feels like multiple people are in his head telling him what to do. 

again. You’re getting your whole bad opinion based off a clip and not the context of the entire episode which allllll this is explored. Just fucking stop. 

Tbh it just seems to me that you’re salty about a female saying they’re better at something a male can also do. 😂

Edited by iStu X
2 minutes ago, RSG3 said:

He's really not. He's pretending. He's pretending to be Banner and Hulk without being either of them. It's fake, it's not the real him. Hes refused to commit to either of them. He's pretending. 

If he had it under control he wouldn't have been stuck as Prof Hulk which he was, and he wouldn't have needed to invent a device to force him back into Banner mode which he has done by She-Hulk. 

So no he does not have it under control.

He's not pretending because both of those are him. That's the part he had to come to terms with in Endgame. He's still Banner, but he's the Hulk too. The device he wears doesn't change his anger, rage, and frustration. It just suppresses the biology that the gamma radiation gave him to change his appearance. 

Just now, Reiraku said:

Now if you tell me Bruce later sits down with Jen and just tells her everything he had to do to get to where he is, and she's taken back and apologizes for her outburst while he does the same for his lack of perspective, I'd watch this show in a heartbeat.

I shouldn't have to tell you this. You should watch the show and form your own opinion, you have to know by now ads and TV trailers are misleading as fuck and not representative of the final product. You're letting yourself get influenced by one singular scene in an advertisement and somehow it's my job to tell you to not fall for that shit? 

Naw. That's not my job. I'll correct missinfo, but it's not my job to convince you to watch the show.   You're just hung up a woman said she was better at something. That's it. I'll correct misinformation, like Bruce is in control of his condition, he's not, but knowing what the show is actually about and talks about? It's your job to watch the show and find that out. 

3 minutes ago, iStu X said:

Except he isn’t and even admits such in Shu-Hulk. It’s why he has adrenaline and gamma regulator on his wrist and he also mentions how hard it is to control it still when it feels like multiple people are in his head telling him what to do. 

Tbh it just seems to me that you’re salty about a female saying they’re better at something a male can also do. 😂

Nah. Like I said, make that conversation happen with any other member of the MCU, and I'd support it 100%. 

Maybe my perspective is colored a bit, since I have a lot of experience working with behavioral instabilities, mental illness, etc, but I find the idea of someone using every resource they can to not go berserk being told that they're not controlling it and are just pretending to be pretty tasteless.

Nah. Like I said, make that conversation happen with any other member of the MCU, and I'd support it 100%. 

Maybe my perspective is colored a bit, since I have a lot of experience working with behavioral instabilities, mental illness, etc, but I find the idea of someone using every resource they can to not go berserk being told that they're not controlling it and are just pretending to be pretty tasteless.

F142B272-D5E1-4F7B-AD1D-5DBFE40C34E0.jpeg

He's not pretending because both of those are him. That's the part he had to come to terms with in Endgame. He's still Banner, but he's the Hulk too. The device he wears doesn't change his anger, rage, and frustration. It just suppresses the biology that the gamma radiation gave him to change his appearance. 

Yea because not actually in control of either of the personalities. He's not even in control of Proff Hulk. 

It's suppressing the Gamma Radiation because he's not in control. Come on bro. Banner says as much himself.