Stage Select

The MEGASHOCK Saloon Thread 3: Chinder Chagger Edition

2 minutes ago, elliephil said:

It's remarkable. There are 19 year olds entering college and only finding out now about things like the Syrian Civil War. Again, Metal Gear Solid 2 had this figured out decades ago.

Oh No Reaction GIF by The Great British Bake Off

That hit waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too close to home. 

Fun Fact - The only MGS game I've played in full is Guns of the Patriot. 

Just now, OPTIMUS124 said:

Oh No Reaction GIF by The Great British Bake Off

That hit waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too close to home. 

Fun Fact - The only MGS game I've played in full is Guns of the Patriot. 

All of them are masterpieces in their own way. It's also interesting to note that despite this game coming out after 9/11, a lot of what is being said was written before those events transpired. The internet, fear, controlling context and the ignorance that comes along with that. Basically everything that led to things like the Patriot Act, Iraq, Afghanistan... I get chills every time.

1 hour ago, elliephil said:

It's remarkable. There are 19 year olds entering college and only finding out now about things like the Syrian Civil War. Again, Metal Gear Solid 2 had this figured out decades ago.

I mentioned this before but for as much hate MGS2 got when it initially came out it has been aging like the finest of wines.  I will never be not amazed out how prophetic Kojima was in the process of making these games.  We were all "ha ha all this crazy political shit is nonsense" back in the day and some how this man called it out like he just had a magic ball in his house somewhere to let him take a peek into the future.  Even MGR with its ridiculous over the top stuff that was going on within it had Senator Armstrong essentially calling out MAGA before it was even going to be a thing.  Feels like every time he makes a game there's always these nuggets of truth and insight buried within the games that ends up being scarily relatable in some way within a decade or so.

2 minutes ago, elliephil said:

Crazy to think that Konami doesn't want something like MGS to continue on. Maybe it's for the best.

I don't even think at this point it's a problem of wanting it to continue on or not.  I don't think Konami as they are now can even handle attempting to do a new Metal Gear either technically or in scope.  They just don't have the talent there to do it and they tried to reuse MGSV assets for MG Survive it just wasn't a good look.  They can try to make a smaller game if they wanted but they don't have Kojima writing the story and I do NOT envy the person who would try to fill his shoes to pen a script for a new one.

7 minutes ago, Sonichuman said:

They can try to make a smaller game if they wanted but they don't have Kojima writing the story and I do NOT envy the person who would try to fill his shoes to pen a script for a new one.

I feel like it would have to be a team of people that studied Kojima's work and the influences he drew from. Even then, it won't be perfect. Makes me wonder if a whole new direction or theme would be the move or even a new IP altogether.

Death Stranding wasn't really doing it for me, I want more espionage political drama dammit 😃

45 minutes ago, TheInfernoman said:

BRUV the first MGS games (I haven't played 4)  are amazing and the narrative is still relevant today. 

There are people discovering Rise Revengance this year and find amazing how the topics that the game touch are still relevant today.

The only thing that maybe flies over their heads is the Monson dialogue about memes, because they only know memes due well, the funny images that are shared in social media instead of Richard Dawkins book.

But even then it goes in line with everything Monson said, lol.

3 hours ago, elliephil said:

I feel like it would have to be a team of people that studied Kojima's work and the influences he drew from. Even then, it won't be perfect. Makes me wonder if a whole new direction or theme would be the move or even a new IP altogether.

Death Stranding wasn't really doing it for me, I want more espionage political drama dammit 😃

Something to take in consideration is that every MG that Kojima worked on, even those he worked passingly like with MGRR, is that they were a mechanism he used to cope with his problems with his father, and this extends to Death Stranding, where he used the game as a way to sort his feelings after losing his mother.

Even if it was a team that studied the man and his source of inspirations, it wouldn't be the same, since those games are very personal for him, specially the later ones.

At best, what they could aspire (in the hypothetical scenario) is to instead understand the method, and do what he did, and use their own personal experiences and feelings as a way to draw and externalize on the characters.

The problem is that is not an easy task, since even then, you would need to be able to create a compelling story, characters and scenario that feels intelligently written

If they are gonna give me an inflation check I'll take it but I don't want them coming at me during tax time saying I owe all of a sudden again.  This year is first year I've ever had to pay taxes instead of a refund and I specificially have then take out more money out of my check to prevent that.

Edit:  Also wishing those women in Iran luck...that is going to be a long road ahead for them.

Edited by Sonichuman

That clip posted recently of Tyson in the ring reminded me---what ever happened to him and Holyfield supposedly getting back in the ring against each other?  The latest vid makes it that much more clear that there's no way in the world present-day Holyfield would've been ready for all that....the audience would've been witness to a murder in the ring.

Edited by MillionX
1 hour ago, J-ride said:

Starlight needs to lay off the plastic surgery/fillers.  She's starting to look like a Las Vegas trophy wife.

Why would she do that?  Erin Moriatry had such natural beauty she didn't need any help at all. Really unfortunate how society pressures women to meet ridiculous standards and they end up fucking themselves up over it. 

5 minutes ago, Chadouken said:

Why would she do that?  Erin Moriatry had such natural beauty she didn't need any help at all. Really unfortunate how society pressures women to meet ridiculous standards and they end up fucking themselves up over it. 

I especially hate the fillers/collagen lip look that seems to be popular now.  It looks terrible on almost all women and they end up looking like plastic dolls.  I could see getting bags under your eyes removed at a certain age but going much further than that is too much IMO.

NASCAR Driver Melts Down, Repeatedly Slugs Fellow Driver in Shockingly Violent Outburst

A NASCAR driver melted down in violent fashion Saturday — attacking a fellow driver in a truly stunning outburst.

The incident happened following a wreck in ValleyStar Credit Union 300 at Martinsville Speedway in Virginia. Andrew Grady went up to the car of Davey Callihan, ripped the driver’s side netting down, and began wailing at his competitor — launching a series of vicious haymakers.

Grady got off several wild shots, then kicked Callihan’s car, before nearby onlookers intervened and held the furious driver back from doing any further damage.

Speaking with Racing America, Grady claimed that Callihan gave him the middle finger and would not discuss the wreck with him — which triggered Grady’s meltdown.

“He flipped me off!” Grady said. “So I started Mike Tyson-ing his head!”

2 hours ago, Chadouken said:

I'm not sure she got surgery. She did look a tad thinner this season than previous. Could be weight loss, but I could be wrong.

Also, way off topic, but: does anyone have good pizza recipes? Since I've started fermenting my dough for longer, and putting the pizza steel at the top of the oven, my pizzas have been turning out good. I've legit gone from "why do I try?" to wondering if the right recipe might put me over certain local chains I like but can't beat.

One of Cogan's latest--- I've not heard of this one called "Afflicted"...

This is another one where the vampirism seems like a reasonably good deal to me, in terms of the abilities--- superhuman strength, speed/agility/healing as can be expected, and apparent immortality... increased toughness --- and it cured the condition that guy had at the time.  It's basic shit but I'd take the deal.... my ideal would be the more flashy, wild stuff like mist form, blood sorcery, mind control, shapeshifting, flight, invisibility and all that.

Edited by MillionX

So Metallica was playing at this music festival, and they brought out Nancy Pelosi?!?

Videos Show Audience Booing Nancy Pelosi at NYC Music Festival

pelosi-at-festival-640x480.jpg

The welcome was anything but warm for House Speaker Nancy Pelosi on Saturday night as she was booed on stage at the Global Citizen Festival after being introduced by Indian actress Priyanka Chopra Jonas.

Pelosi, 82, was attending the gathering in New York’s Central Park with husband Paul when Chopra Jonas invited her to appear before the crowd of music devotees.

The result, in a city where 68 percent of registered voters declare themselves Democrats, was underwhelming for them both.

As Pelosi set out plans heading for Congress to tackle climate issues, members of the audience could be heard booing the veteran Democrat even as she expounded on carbon pollution and “climate change.”

“It’s thanks to your help that the United States recently enacted historic climate legislation, which will be a game changer,” Pelosi said as the jeers carried on, the New York Post reports.

“It will slash carbon pollution by 40 percent by 2030, it will give a historic, an historic $370 billion to fight the climate crisis.”

As the audience grew even more loud in its response, several hecklers are heard yelling “let’s go!” apparently looking for the evening’s entertainment to resume without a politician taking center stage.

The Post report added Pelosi tried to continue her speech, saying the bill would result in “better water and air for our children” as well as “better-paying jobs and lower energy bills for their parents.”

The California representative can also be heard calling for “better water and air for our children” and “better-paying jobs and lower energy bills for their parents.”

Edited by AriesWarlock
1 hour ago, AriesWarlock said:

So Metallica was playing at this music festival, and they brought out Nancy Pelosi?!?

Videos Show Audience Booing Nancy Pelosi at NYC Music Festival

pelosi-at-festival-640x480.jpg

The welcome was anything but warm for House Speaker Nancy Pelosi on Saturday night as she was booed on stage at the Global Citizen Festival after being introduced by Indian actress Priyanka Chopra Jonas.

Pelosi, 82, was attending the gathering in New York’s Central Park with husband Paul when Chopra Jonas invited her to appear before the crowd of music devotees.

The result, in a city where 68 percent of registered voters declare themselves Democrats, was underwhelming for them both.

As Pelosi set out plans heading for Congress to tackle climate issues, members of the audience could be heard booing the veteran Democrat even as she expounded on carbon pollution and “climate change.”

“It’s thanks to your help that the United States recently enacted historic climate legislation, which will be a game changer,” Pelosi said as the jeers carried on, the New York Post reports.

“It will slash carbon pollution by 40 percent by 2030, it will give a historic, an historic $370 billion to fight the climate crisis.”

As the audience grew even more loud in its response, several hecklers are heard yelling “let’s go!” apparently looking for the evening’s entertainment to resume without a politician taking center stage.

The Post report added Pelosi tried to continue her speech, saying the bill would result in “better water and air for our children” as well as “better-paying jobs and lower energy bills for their parents.”

The California representative can also be heard calling for “better water and air for our children” and “better-paying jobs and lower energy bills for their parents.”

This is beyond bizarre.  Why did both parties think this was a good idea and who approached who to do this?    I'm not at a music festival to hear any politician talk my head off about shit.