Stage Select

The MEGASHOCK Saloon Thread 3: Chinder Chagger Edition

@iStu XGood luck on your interview, I hope it goes well.  I hate when you get asked a canned interview question like what animal would you want to be as that was one of the stupidest questions I have ever been asked. Aight I know I am supposed to be a applying sales manager but let me tell you about how I'd really like to be a white family's dog. 

I declined the AT&T job. The hiring manager told me it’s 100% commission based after training. As soon as he told me that I told him I was no longer interested. 

I hate up selling people. It’s always felt gross to me as it’s an inherently underhanded sales tactic. I can kinda buffer how gross it makes me feel when I call it “informative selling” but it’s still eh. I didn’t mind it when I worked at the gaming store back home because I was genuinely building communities, player bases, customer bases and a store from the ground up. I was also giving people a space to just be themselves and have a second home. 

if it’s as somewhere like AT&T or GameStop it’s just me helping their bottom line which makes me feel fucking gross 

Edited by iStu X
8 minutes ago, J-ride said:

Full commission jobs are bullshit jobs were they can make you work your ass off for minimum wage.  He was right to tell them to shove that job.

Depends. Some are definitely some bullshit. But jobs in a legit commission based sales position? Those people make bank if they git gud at it. 

Jobs that offer commission and hourly wage together are usually bullshit. Because those jobs. Tend to rarely have opportunities to actually earn commission

Edited by BB_Hoody
6 minutes ago, J-ride said:

I want a salary + commission.  I'm not working for free because its the slow part of the year. 

That's why you have something going on the side. Those who I've known in commission based work? When it's time to make money? They go hard and either put money to the side to weather the slow season and or hold a part time job hourly job.

Once they get to a point they are Killin it in their commission job? They focus on it full time. And make enough to where it's nothing to put money away for the slow season.

If I was 20 again? I definitely would've gotten into real estate as an agent. Or hell no reason I can't do it now

Edited by BB_Hoody

Commissioned sales just promotes terrible behavior.  Salespeople upselling unneeded shit to the people least able to know better. And then the manufacturer or service provider doesn't have to care nearly as much about quality, because product quality stops being the primary revenue driver.

Shit, how much of the opioid crisis came from commissioned  pharma sales reps wining and dining doctors to get them to over prescribe pain meds? 

12 minutes ago, J-ride said:

If they can't pay me at least minimum wage then they can shove their fucking job.  Stop simping for billion dollar companies.

Don't get it twisted. I have no love for big corporations. But if you got the chops? Commission based pay blows hourly pay out the water. You can't low ball me. If I'm Killin it? I'm Killin it. I get a portion of that sale. Not an hourly rate. There is the risk of your pay isn't guaranteed for showing up and trying. You have to produce. But if you can? You make bank. Assuming you have a good employer.

"I've worked at places that had layoffs after their most successful year ever. If companies want me to work hard they need to fork over the dough. Working hard gets you jack shit at most companies"

Working hard for a low hourly rate is lame yes. Working hard for a direct piece of the pie every time you make a sale, land a client etc? That's different

Edited by BB_Hoody

Yeah, but these days no matter how hard you work the actual money usually doesn't show up until you jump ship to another company.  Especially with how tight the labor market is, but even before that.

Which just makes it doubly fucked up that our solution to inflation is "jack up interest rates to increase unemployment" instead of "fairly tax the richest companies".

4 minutes ago, Reticently said:

Yeah, but these days no matter how hard you work the actual money usually doesn't show up until you jump ship to another company.  Especially with how tight the labor market is, but even before that.

Which just makes it doubly fucked up that our solution to inflation is "jack up interest rates to increase unemployment" instead of "fairly tax the richest companies".

Oh yeah I learned that. Job hoping resulted in me getting raises. Not sticking it out for years. That's back in the days of our grandparents. And unfortunately there's so many actual legal ways for the rich and their budinesses to avoid paying taxes. It's stupid. Let alone all the off the book methods.

Edited by BB_Hoody
31 minutes ago, BB_Hoody said:

Don't get it twisted. I have no love for big corporations. But if you got the chops? Commission based pay blows hourly pay out the water. You can't low ball me. If I'm Killin it? I'm Killin it. I get a portion of that sale. Not an hourly rate. There is the risk of your pay isn't guaranteed for showing up and trying. You have to produce. But if you can? You make bank. Assuming you have a good employer.

"I've worked at places that had layoffs after their most successful year ever. If companies want me to work hard they need to fork over the dough. Working hard gets you jack shit at most companies"

Working hard for a low hourly rate is lame yes. Working hard for a direct piece of the pie every time you make a sale, land a client etc? That's different

You have a very idealistic view of how this works, my team got a layoff while being in the top 10 of sales for the whole company.  So what's the point of busting my ass for nothing?

49 minutes ago, BB_Hoody said:

You wont even talk to a woman you’re not with or related to. How the fuck do you expect us to believe you’d be making racks on commission. 😂

17 minutes ago, iStu X said:

You wont even talk to a woman you’re not with or related to. How the fuck do you expect us to believe you’d be making racks on commission. 😂

Why do you open your mouth to go full stupid? Show me where I said I won't talk to a woman I'm not related to or with. It's amazing how someone says something clear as day. ( I'm not trying to hear boyfriend issues from a woman I'm not related to ) And you go and literally hear what you want. The hell is wrong with you?

Imagine you in the drive thru at a restaurant. God what a frustrating experience for a customer that'd be. 

Edited by BB_Hoody
23 minutes ago, J-ride said:

You have a very idealistic view of how this works, my team got a layoff while being in the top 10 of sales for the whole company.  So what's the point of busting my ass for nothing?

How much you made though? Not dismissing your layoff. That does suck. But did you get yours though?

10 minutes ago, BB_Hoody said:

How much you made though? Not dismissing your layoff. That does suck. But did you get yours though?

I made decent money and made the company a fuck ton of money before they canned most of our sales team.  I didn't think it was worth it to be honest, I put in a ton of hours to be sent out the door without a severance right before Christmas time.

2 minutes ago, J-ride said:

I made decent money and made the company a fuck ton of money before they canned most of our sales team.  I didn't think it was worth it to be honest, I put in a ton of hours to be sent out the door without a severance right before Christmas time.

Damn that's rough man. Sorry that happened. My point is simply. Don't go hard being a company man. Never that. Go hard to get yours. And make moves from there to do your own thing. I wasn't on this type of time in my 20s. Lord knows I wish I was. But I'm on it now. 

Being loyal to a company that after 2 decades of service will give you a pension and take care of ya? That's been dead for a while. Most of us are in a position where we gotta make others money to get ours. But don't stay there if you don't want to be there. We gotta secure our own futures.

1 hour ago, J-ride said:

In his defense, I don't think most women want men talking to them when they are out in public.  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Just don’t be an ass or a creep about it. I stop women all the time in public and very politely compliment on something I noticed about them. Their outfit, accessory, tattoos, etc. 

it’s all about the approach. 

Edited by iStu X

When I was working for the Dish customer service call center, a bunch of people were fired when they realized they were on a scheme to include as many premium channels to customers' accounts (without their consent)  just so they could cash in the commission for the premium channel bonus.

Or when I was working for HP, they would sell brand new printers to customers who had just bought printers without even checking their warranties first, just because they wanted the sweet new product commission.

As mentioned before, people will resort to underhanded tactics that are just straight up fraud if commissions are on the line

16 minutes ago, RSG3 said:

Commission work makes temptation for ar too strong. 

I worked 2 commission jobs when I was 18 and 19 And I can say for a fact. These jobs are the epitome of attitude reflects leadership. If leadership prioritizes numbers above all with little to no overseight? Oh yeah there will be fuckery among the Salesforce.

But on the flip side. If you have a company that actually values good relationships with their customers, and their reputation? They'll make sure their people are not on that type of time. 

10 hours ago, RSG3 said:

AZ has had Whataburger my entire life. It's the best fast food Burger easily

Confirmed for taste cancer. But all Joking aside, I had a Whataburger once, it wasn't awful but there absolutely nothing special about it. 
Ketchup was cool, but I don't choose places on the condiments. 

I agree with the fries though, In and Out has Trash fries. Then again I fell most places have awful fries. 

6 minutes ago, DarkSakul said:

Confirmed for taste cancer. But all Joking aside, I had a Whataburger once, it wasn't awful but there absolutely nothing special about it. 

Well...yea of course it's nothing special it's a fast food Burger. They all are. 

But I've also had enough burgers at higher end joints to know that if I'm paying 10 to 15 bucks just for the burger 85% of the time I'd rather just make it myself at home. 

There are a couple local burger joints that destroy all of the chains, mostly because you can't get green chile on most chains. Whataburger does have green chile here, and it's decent, but I prefer 5 Guys over Whataburger. I like Wendy's, too. 

Wendy's is the McDonald's for old people.

Chick Filet is the McDonald's for racist people.

Burger King the McDonald's for black people.

Taco Bell is the McDonald's for Mexicans.

I don't actually know what the fuck I'm talking about, so please don't take this post seriously 😂

1 hour ago, Chadouken said:

@DangerousJ you all good man?

Thanks for asking dude!

Tampa managed to miss the worst of it. 

The late shift south of us reduced the impact here.

Most people here had trees knocked down and power loss, but NOWHERE as devastating us as Ft Myers, Naples.

I live in the north Tampa suburbs which is 15-20 miles north of downtown , Ybor City, various beaches, and the more populated areas which are older and more low lying.  Those areas ,  Zones A and B, were ordered to evacuate.  

My zone is D so my parents and I stayed in their house together since were close by. I have another aunt/uncle just 3 miles from us and they are in the same boat.

We didn't lose power at all surpisingly or have any flooding.

My cousin in Orlando lost power today for 14 hours , but no flooding or significant damage.

I just helped my parents clean up all the tree branches and then put our stuff back in place.

I hope @DoctaMariois doing ok. The storm is out of FL, but going to South Carolina. Don't @Optimus124 or @Darc Requiem live there?

We went through 2 hurricanes in St Thomas, Hugo (1989) and Marilyn (1995).

We lost a lot of our personal stuff in those and lost power for 3 months each time in addition to flooding, so we take it more seriously than some.

Since we've been in Tampa (1996), we havent had any experience like those 2 thankfully.

Edited by DangerousJ