Stage Select

Video Game Discussion Thread vol. 2

3 hours ago, Hawkingbird said:

One sided is right. Crowbcat is out of his mind to think the remake is soulless. 

I'm about 2 thirds through this video and I'm not fully on board with what I believe he's trying to say.  OG is more colorful and the sound mix is just overall louder in just about every aspect.  OG is also way less grounded and just slightly over the top which is going to be kind of subjective on whether thats actually better for this type of game.  Yeah there are some things in terms of interior design that could be arguably better but in most aspects I find REmake 4 is better in just about every other regard.  I didn't even realize much louder OG is in comparison to REmake 4 until he put this video together and in some places its kind of comical now.

18 minutes ago, Chadouken said:

I couldn't stop smiling the entire time. Fucking AWESOME!

Me neither. I was grinning from ear to ear the entire time.

Spoiler

So many amazing little touches. Mario getting Mini Turbos while Karting, the Powerups, Martinelli as old Mario, just everything constantly. I like that the pace never stops, it just keep moving you forward, and I even think they did a great  job on the Emotional moment with Luigi at the end. Whole thing was fucking awesome. Could have maybe done with less licensed music but hey gotta please the stupid investors and the game music that is there is plenty enough and all awesome. 

Funny enough the only voiced character I kinda took issue with was Cranky. That was very.........jewish...like serious Larry David vibes lol and I love Larry David but not exactly for Cranky Kong lol. 

I was worried about Seth phoning it in, but he really didn't and he fit Donkey Kong really well. Also really impressed with Chris Pratt ad Mario I honestly think he was perfect. He stuck the perfect tone between cartoon-y Brooklyn but not like insulting characature of the accent like in the hilarious plumbing ad he and Luigi ran. 

Toad was spot on if a little fucking psycho lol and Peach was awesome. Charlie Day was great but in a sequel hopefully he gets more to do then wail 50% of the time. 

I honestly couldn't be happier. 

Edited by RSG3
8 minutes ago, Sonichuman said:

Crowbcat changed the title of his video which makes more sense but at the same time still kindaAnimated GIF

I'm gonna give him the benefit of the doubt.

I dunno, there's just something about a sequel people bitched about not being enough like it's previous games getting a remake and everyone bitching it's not enough like the game that was alresdy botched about for being too different....

Something something cycles and loops and repeating history. 

Edited by RSG3
5 hours ago, Sonichuman said:

Crowbcat changed the title of his video which makes more sense but at the same time still kindaAnimated GIF

I'm gonna give him the benefit of the doubt.

It feels like he changed it because most most don't have any negativity toward the remake. The dislike ratio on his vid is high compared to his other stuff.

I don't hate it, I still believe that RE4con changed too much so IMO it loses much of the charm of what makes an RE game an RE game and 4 in specific...I will stand by tank controls. Again that doesn't mean I think the new ver is bad. Just...different. I AM happy to hear the clunky controls were fixed for Xbox so at least now it's going to be playable for me when I buy it someday. 

17 minutes ago, TheInfernoman said:

I don't hate it, I still believe that RE4con changed too much so IMO it loses much of the charm of what makes an RE game an RE game and 4 in specific...I will stand by tank controls. Again that doesn't mean I think the new ver is bad. Just...different. I AM happy to hear the clunky controls were fixed for Xbox so at least now it's going to be playable for me when I buy it someday. 

Yea the issue seems to be, and having just finished his video I'm inclined to agree, that he's being extremely unfair and making really hyperbolic statements he thought would go over well with his audience. Turns out a large and vocal chunk of his audience actually likes the game a good deal. 

Like no one seems upset he prefers the first one like you do. They take issue with him calling it soulless and basically a really bad remake when that doesn't seem to be even remotely close to the case. 

My reason for saying this is a lot of people had a lot of negative things to say about the RE3Make and no one really took issue with that. 

He misread his audiences taste when compared to his own. He thought they would champion him as a crusader against the modern AAA game like Mark from Electric Undergrounds audience does. He was wrong. 

On 4/14/2023 at 8:38 PM, Sonichuman said:

I'm about 2 thirds through this video and I'm not fully on board with what I believe he's trying to say.  OG is more colorful and the sound mix is just overall louder in just about every aspect.  OG is also way less grounded and just slightly over the top which is going to be kind of subjective on whether thats actually better for this type of game.  Yeah there are some things in terms of interior design that could be arguably better but in most aspects I find REmake 4 is better in just about every other regard.  I didn't even realize much louder OG is in comparison to REmake 4 until he put this video together and in some places its kind of comical now.

It turns out that Crowcbat turned down the audio for REmake 4 to make the OG look better.

Yea I had a feeling that was a bullshit comparison between the two, not one single other person who played the game has mentioned the audio being any kind of an issue that I've seen or been able to find. Only him and his comments section seem to think there's an audio problem which makes me think they're all full of shit. 

Edited by RSG3
17 minutes ago, Darc_Requiem said:

Apparently a clown based on this RE4 situation. Never heard of dude before this and this doesn't make him look good. 

He's a guy who likes to make montage videos on YouTube with the title and description plentying all the context. A lot of his stuff largely consist of old is good, new is bad. That works for games like Halo, Gears, Dead Rising but he completely dropped the ball here. The dishonesty will be a major hit he likely won't recover from.

1 hour ago, Darc_Requiem said:

Apparently a clown based on this RE4 situation. Never heard of dude before this and this doesn't make him look good. 

I wouldn't call it a clown, since outside this specific video, all his other stuff has been solid.

1 hour ago, Hawkingbird said:

He's a guy who likes to make montage videos on YouTube with the title and description plentying all the context. A lot of his stuff largely consist of old is good, new is bad. That works for games like Halo, Gears, Dead Rising but he completely dropped the ball here.

Of his 59 vids only 7 are montages comparing old games vs new games in the series or remakes.

The dishonesty will be a major hit he likely won't recover from.

He will be fine, seeing that the majority of people agree with him on his take if we go by likes vs dislikes, 36k vs 28k

1 hour ago, Darc_Requiem said:

Most of his videos are interesting, but his take on RE4 seems like a misfire. He just seemed bummed out about the changes to dialogue and action scenes.

Just now, Hawkingbird said:

The fact that he backpedaled and messed with the audio is a massive hit to his credibility. Future comparison videos will definitely be in question now.

You say that, but most people don't really care.

I see more positive talk about him and the video than negative going by the analytics.

I bought a Hori Fighting Stick Mini about 3 years ago but have hardly used it. Decided to give it a go for all these arcade SHMUPs like Ray'z Arcade Chronology. The movement on the sick feels great but since I hardly arcade games, well, in the arcades, controlling a ship with an arcade stick feels a little odd. Gonna need some time to adjust. 

Speaking of Ray'z Arcade Chronology, all three games let you pick from an arranged or original soundtrack. Interestingly, the album cover for the original soundtrack for RAYSTORM is for the PlayStation version, which is strange since the audio for this version of RAYSTORM is the arcade soundtrack. The arcade OST sounds great but my heart will forever belong to the PS OST. With the release of RAYSTORM x RAYCRISIS HD Collection, I'm hoping a patch adds the home releases of those games as was the case with G-Darius HD so we can get the PS OSTs for those games.

Crowbcat's vids have actually been pretty good and on point up to this point.  Most of the videos he put up for comparison pretty much pointed out differences in games made before vs now.  His GTA comparison vid was pretty enlightening.   You may not agree 100% with everything that he's trying to point out but he's at least presenting you with evidences to back up what he's trying to say.  This is different. It probably wouldn't have been as bad if he has just went with 'agree to disagree' and kept it moving but then the audio tampering on top of trying to save face by changing the video and going "OH I ACTUALLY AGREED WITH YOU GUYS THIS ENTIRE TIME SEE!?" is kinda grimy.   I'm not gonna unsubscribe from him because a majority of his videos actually make pretty good points but this is just something that's going to put things he put out previously and moving forward under a bit more scrutiny.

Edit:

Man RSG wasn't kidding, decided to put crowbcat's name in twitter just to see what people were saying and there's actual people out there looking at this video and are like "yeah this game looks worse"

Edit 2:

This is weird....

Edit 3:

Crowbcat changed the title of the video back to what it was originally.

Edit 4

If he actually didn't mess with the audio then great...I still disagree with what his video is trying to say regardless.

Edited by Sonichuman
On 3/27/2023 at 4:34 AM, RegH81 said:

Ray'z Arcade Chronology is looking and sounding DOPE. All the Ray'z games with some bonuses. @YourFavGrandpa @RSG3you planning on getting a copy? Far as I know, only Play-Asia is carrying it for now.

I might look at getting it at the beginning of next month, Playasia is killing my wallet between that and the Pixel remasters for FF.
Sorry for not responding sooner, have been super busy with work.

Edited by YourFavGrandpa

Rare double post from me, but Gamestop has a B1G1 sale running right now, with a lot of first party Nintendo stuff eligible. I didn't personally take advantage of this, but I did use the monthly reward benefit I get from being a Pro member to snag Octopath II & the Tactics Ogre remake for $75 shipped. 

I didn't put this in the Switch thread, because there's some PS5 and XBox games on this list as well.