Stage Select

Video Game Discussion Thread vol. 2

32 minutes ago, Hawkingbird said:

I'm in the market for a new controller and I'm annoyed by how many controllers use asymmetrical analog stick layout. I don't like this layout. How is playstation the dominant console for two generations now but this controller layout is everywhere?

A lot of gamers, myself included hate the PS controller layout. It's why you see 3rd party PS controllers that offer the asymmetrical configuration but not the opposite for Xbox. I was salty they didn't put good asymmetrical controller out for PS4 until right before the PS5 dropped.  I'm waiting for a good asymmetrical controller to release for PS5 that doesn't cost an arm and leg. I'd get a Razer Wolverine but I can't find one for less than $150.

Edit: What's your budget? The Vitrix BFG allows you change it's configuration. Shit, how did I miss this one. It's like double what I'd like to spend but the customization. You can swap the stick positions, change out the d-pad, or give it 6 face buttons for use in fighting games 🤔

https://www.amazon.com/PDP-Victrix-Wireless-Controller-Playstation-5/dp/B0B9LDPXBF/ref=sr_1_3?hvadid=627405222908&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=9009994&hvnetw=g&hvqmt=e&hvrand=15420200171374439663&hvtargid=kwd-1906907106887&hydadcr=22905_13487790&keywords=victrix%2Bpro%2Bbfg&qid=1690812753&sr=8-3&th=1

Edited by Darc_Requiem
22 minutes ago, Darc_Requiem said:

A lot of gamers, myself included hate the PS controller layout. It's why you see 3rd party PS controllers that offer the asymmetrical configuration but not the opposite for Xbox. I was salty they didn't put good asymmetrical controller out for PS4 until right before the PS5 dropped.  I'm waiting for a good asymmetrical controller to release for PS5 that doesn't cost an arm and leg. I'd get a Razer Wolverine but I can't find one for less than $150.

Edit: What's your budget? The Vitrix BFG allows you change it's configuration. S hit, how did I miss this one. You swap the stick positions, change out the d-pad, or give it 6 face buttons for use in fighting games?

https://www.amazon.com/PDP-Victrix-Wireless-Controller-Playstation-5/dp/B0B9LDPXBF/ref=sr_1_3?hvadid=627405222908&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=9009994&hvnetw=g&hvqmt=e&hvrand=15420200171374439663&hvtargid=kwd-1906907106887&hydadcr=22905_13487790&keywords=victrix%2Bpro%2Bbfg&qid=1690812753&sr=8-3&th=1

The vitrix is on my radar. A friend of mine has it and I like the feel of it. Though I'm waiting for a sale to pull the trigger on it.

PS5 Firmware Beta Increases M.2 SSD Memory Size Support to 8TB

Here’s a list of other features in this PS5 firmware beta:

• Discover Tips section added in Guide and Tips under Settings.
  • Friends tab lets you see when friends are in games you can join
  • Game Help cards show details and details about all activities
  • Game Hubs gets a tournaments tile
  • Game Library gets search function
  • Haptic Feedback During Console Navigation added in Accessibility Settings
  • Messages have emoji support
  • Party UI Update to invite players into closed parties
  • PS5 Beep Sound volume can be adjusted or muted

The beta is currently rolling out to select PS5 users before the update goes live for everyone, and they will be the first people ever to be blessed with the option to activate their console in complete silence. Here’s the full list of new features coming according to the PlayStation Blog:

• Connect two controllers to the same account
  • Turn on haptic feedback for console UI
  • Support for Dolby Atmos-enabled audio devices
  • Invite players to closed party without making a group
  • Preview someone’s share screen before opening
  • Icon and shortcut for joinable sessions on the friends’ list
  • Dedicated tile for tournaments in the game hub
  • React to messages with emojis
  • Search for games in your library
  • More options in the game help section
  • Dedicated tips section for console navigation tips
  • M.2 SSD supports 8TB (up from 4TB)
  • Mute PS5 beep sound

“You can now mute or adjust the volume of the PS5’s beep sound when turning it on or off, or putting it in rest mode,” the PlayStation Blog post reads. This is fantastic news for everyone who has ever tried to sneakily turn on the console without their parents, roommates, partner, or kids knowing. It’s been a scourge on the PlayStation community dating back to the PS3. Even throughout the PS4 years I was never prepared for just how loud it was going to be. No longer. Maybe next time Sony can add the option to silence the console every time I rip the power cord out by accident.

On 7/29/2023 at 7:22 PM, Hecatom said:

I've been listening to this during my lunch break and this guy feels like he has a lot in common mentally with Tommy Tallarico.  What is it about people who are gaslighting people that makes them repeat shit constantly over and over again like this?  It may not even be a fact that aiding in their con but it's just something that they either repeat over and over and often times without provacation  This thing is really all this guy has and it's crazy the lengths he will go?  This gamer of the century plaque is such a fucking wild thing the lie about for all these years that in the grand scheme of things don't even matter but the fucking effort he's putting forth to keep this lie going is remarkable.

2 hours ago, Sonichuman said:

I've been listening to this during my lunch break and this guy feels like he has a lot in common mentally with Tommy Tallarico.  What is it about people who are gaslighting people that makes them repeat shit constantly over and over again like this?  It may not even be a fact that aiding in their con but it's just something that they either repeat over and over and often times without provacation  This thing is really all this guy has and it's crazy the lengths he will go?  This gamer of the century plaque is such a fucking wild thing the lie about for all these years that in the grand scheme of things don't even matter but the fucking effort he's putting forth to keep this lie going is remarkable.

Narcissism is a scary thing. We just saw narcissism compel Colleen Ballenger to play a ukulele while denying grooming allegations. Think about that. She had to write and practice that shit, and most likely screwed up a number of takes. And at NO point did she say to herself "maybe playing a ukulele to convince people I'm not out here trying to fuck these kids ain't the right move".

That same shit is what makes people keep up lies like this for this long. It's whatever keeps their ego good; logic is not too big a factor here.

Edited by axeman61
11 hours ago, Sonichuman said:

3 hours ago, RSG3 said:

Billy is in so fucking deep he can't change his tune now. 

8 hours ago, axeman61 said:

Narcissism is a scary thing. We just saw narcissism compel Colleen Ballenger to play a ukulele while denying grooming allegations. Think about that. She had to write and practice that shit, and most likely screwed up a number of takes. And at NO point did she say to herself "maybe playing a ukulele to convince people I'm not out here trying to fuck these kids ain't the right move".

That same shit is what makes people keep up lies like this for this long. It's whatever keeps their ego good; logic is not too big a factor here.

Coincidentally I just asked about this in GD, but I realised there may be a discussion going on here.

This stuff is really funny. The whole joystick fiasco along with his witnesses being a national debacle is really entertaining. Part of me is genuinely worried that he's going to kill himself in the coming months when his case is destroyed. He's been fighting this for so long and I hope it doesn't come to that. I don't know how he's still going with this and all of his other lawsuits and while it's undeniable that he's a terrible person with what he's done to Twin Galaxies and countless others in the name of defamation, I hope he faces justice.

The interesting thing about all of this is that his lawsuits exist purely to uphold his scores and reputation. I don't see why this is still going on. People have moved on from the days of Twin Galaxies dominating the video game zeitgeist. The mainstream gaming world doesn't care about Donkey Kong, and, as a matter of fact, most people my age don't even know who or what Donkey Kong is outside of Super Smash Bros. Most importantly, no one knows who Billy Mitchell is. My brother is 12. He doesn't know who he is. I have friends who are 30 who don't know who he is. What face is he saving? Is he and everyone in his camp so obsessed with their own egos that they can't recognise that their names aren't typed on Twitter until Karl Jobst uploads a video?

I implore all of you to take a look at Todd Roger's home. The poor guy deserves a better standard of living as a human being and most - if not all - of the possible life improvements that can be made to his situation are in his control but he refuses to make any change. Instead, he sits at home and continues to make mediocre attempt after attempt at his abandoned game. Modernity has surpassed him, and his community has alienated him. I doubt it's any different for Billy. These guys have the power to change, to atone and to repent in isolation, but they refuse to. Perhaps in their situation, I'd do that same. I wish they had the right kind of support instead of the echo chambers that likely dominate their circles. I hope they lose their case, that they change and that they build better homes and lives for themselves, preferably far away from the people they have hurt.

Diablo 4---The blood lance build continues to be so fun to play; I was at it solo yesterday after work; made it thru to Torment difficulty at level 60.  The others I play with are probably still on tier 3 at the moment, but they should be close to Torment as well.  There's times when I still prefer the solo experience of Diablo though... which is also 1 of the many reasons I wish it had an offline mode.  Since "Eternal Realms" is the non-season stuff, it would make perfect sense if they made that the offline portion of the game, while seasons are the online content.

The itemization is so damn oddly balanced at times though--- currently, my character has a level 44 sacred legendary dagger as the main weapon equipped.  I found a level 60 sacred legendary scythe which is also a 1-hand weapon.  The difference in attack speed is small----scythe = "1.10" vs. dagger = "1.20".... and the scythe has significantly more damage per second according to the item info.... but a lower Overpower damage bonus.  Both are fully upgraded now.... BUT that scythe turned out to be a waste of upgrade materials since the numbers are still noticeably weaker than the dagger.  That's insane to me.... one would assume that even despite the small speed difference there (as opposed to a dagger vs. a terribly slow 2-hand weapon)....the scythe that is 16 levels above the dagger should absolutely destroy it and be the obviously superior weapon, but nope.... so I went right back to using the dagger.... the scythe will be for another Necro I make later then, I guess.

1 hour ago, Wellman said:

I miss NBA Jam and NFL Blitz. 

Blitz I have come to terms ain't never coming back, but I still would love to play a arcade style NFL or NBA game

They are both still a ton of fun to play.  When I built my "new" MAME PC (still from like 2010 tech) I made sure that it could run the 3D games like Blitz without any problem, and it can, and it's fantastic.

16 hours ago, Dayaan said:

The interesting thing about all of this is that his lawsuits exist purely to uphold his scores and reputation. I don't see why this is still going on. People have moved on from the days of Twin Galaxies dominating the video game zeitgeist. The mainstream gaming world doesn't care about Donkey Kong, and, as a matter of fact, most people my age don't even know who or what Donkey Kong is outside of Super Smash Bros. Most importantly, no one knows who Billy Mitchell is. My brother is 12. He doesn't know who he is. I have friends who are 30 who don't know who he is. What face is he saving? Is he and everyone in his camp so obsessed with their own egos that they can't recognise that their names aren't typed on Twitter until Karl Jobst uploads a video?

I'm still not entirely sure why people care. Like you said, he's hardly relevant for his gaming prowess anymore, and when peopl give him attention for stuff like this, they're giving him what he wants. Is there anyone in existence who thinks he's actually the Gamer Of The Century or whatever it is he's calling himself?

2 hours ago, DoctaMario said:

I'm still not entirely sure why people care. Like you said, he's hardly relevant for his gaming prowess anymore, and when peopl give him attention for stuff like this, they're giving him what he wants. Is there anyone in existence who thinks he's actually the Gamer Of The Century or whatever it is he's calling himself?

No, no one is calling him that. In fact, I totally forgot about that title until his lawsuits became more public. It was something I heard him say in the early 2000s but no one cares these days.

Circana June 2023 Numbers (yeah...June they're getting kinda behind in reporting)

Things of note:  All 3 major game releases of the month took the very top spot for that month and pushed Tears of the Kingdom into 4th place.  Diablo ended up being the best selling game that month followed by Final Fantasy XVI and then Street Fighter 6.  Street Fighter 6 is doing extremely well and is enjoying the highest launch month dollar sales for a 1 v 1 fighting game since April 2019's launch of MK11.  Also looks like both Spiderman titles recharted in the top 10 and I'm going to guess the reason why is due to Across the Spiderverse.

Hardware: Playstation took its throne back from Switch.  Not unexpected considering the amount of big releases that week with one of them being an exclusive.  PS5 was best selling hardware platform for both unit and dollar sales in June and it continues to lead for both units and dollars for the 2023 year.  Switch was 2nd in both units and dollars.

June 2023 Top 20:  Diablo IV, FFXVI, SF6, LoZ:TotK, Hogwarts Legacy, SW: JS, MLB The Show 23, Miles Morales (jump from 31), Marvel's Spiderman (jump from 24), FIFA 23, MK8D, Dead Island 2, Minecraft, F1 23, Elden Ring, Story of Seasons: A Wonderful Life, Dad of War Ragnarok, REmake 4 (this took a 10 spot drop), Smash Ult

Something I'm just now noticing is that there isn't a CoD, Madden, or NBA 2K that charted that month....interesting

YTD Top 20: Hogwarts Legacy, LoZ: TotK, Diablo IV (When they said it sold well they meant it), CoD MW 2 2022, SW: JS, REmake 4, MLB The Show 23, Dead Island 2, FFXVI, SF6, FIFA 23, Dead Space (2023), Dat Madden 23, Elden Ring, MK8D, LoU Part 1, Minecraft, Dad of War Ragnarok, Pokemon Sc/Vi, Miles Morales (oh wow....)

Holiday season is going to be a bloodbath.  Nintendo has a 2D mario that looks like it has a fuck ton of charm and inventiveness that's been missing from the new series, Playstation has Spider-man 2 which looks god damn amazing so far, and even Xbox has their own exclusive coming out with Starfield barring delays.  It's mostly going to be a fight between Nintendo and Sony as it has been for the past few years but now M$ actually potentially has a contender to put try to do something this year.  Should be interesting.  I'm also just not realizing that Spider-man 2 and Super Mario Wonder are releasing on the exact same day lol.

8 hours ago, Sonichuman said:

Netflix Producer says some changes Witcher book changes are "necessary" but "painful" for them too

https://www.ign.com/articles/netflix-producer-says-some-witcher-book-changes-are-necessary-but-painful-for-us-too

I was thinking about this, and other "necessary" changes Netflix makes, yesterday. There's a prime opportunity for them do do a series based on the Ghostbusters reboot and cast Lizzo as the Stay-Puff Marshmallow Man. They could say it's now a chocolate marshmallow to add diversity points, and they wouldn't have to spend on CG for those scenes, as she already looks the part. 

44 minutes ago, Darc_Requiem said:

Didn't they change Radovid from boy to man so he can fuck Jaskier? 🤔

200w.webp

I recently started watching Season 3 with the wife and there was definitely some gay tension between those 2 where I'm at but I did not know that Radovid was originally a boy in the books...thaaaaats an interesting change.

7 minutes ago, Sonichuman said:

200w.webp

I recently started watching Season 3 with the wife and there was definitely some gay tension between those 2 where I'm at but I did not know that Radovid was originally a boy in the books...thaaaaats an interesting change.

I just looked it up. Radovid is younger than Ciri. Not sure what age Ciri is on the show but regardless she's about 3 years older than Radovid...at least she's supposed to be.

"Radovid was born in 1255 in Tretogor to the royal pair, King Vizimir II and Queen Hedwig of Malleore, as their third child. He grew up with two older sisters: Dalimira, informally known as Dalka, and Milena, who was known as Milka in a similar fashion. Dalka eventually dedicated her life to the priesthood after her failed engagement with King Foltest of Temeria, who instead chose to marry his own sister Adda, while Milka attended Aretuza to become a sorceress Millegarda.[2]

When Prince Radovid was 9 years old he was formally engaged to Cirilla, Princess of Cintra, when she was 12. The engagement was formalized between his father and Queen Calanthe, Ciri's grandmother, but the king broke the engagement off after half a year without giving any explanation and Ciri and Radovid never even had a chance to talk to each other."

https://witcher.fandom.com/wiki/Radovid_V

Edited by Darc_Requiem

It's nice to have a full group to play Diablo with--- great adventures last night; we're in Torment difficulty doing the season stuff.  My necro is level 65 now; got 2 paragon boards now; 2 glyphs...finally got that 2nd effect (Blood Drinker; the blood orbs now also fortify my health) enabled on the 2nd glyph.  I haven't cared much about the seasonal story, though the villain ("Varshan the Consumed") is pretty cool.

I have so much fun playing as the necromancer; the other characters may feel like a step down for me.  Druid is my other favorite though so far.

ActiBlizz taking the piss with  MW3 leaks

https://www.ign.com/articles/call-of-duty-modern-warfare-3-leaks-again-activision-gets-in-on-the-joke

Glad they're having a laugh cause I know leaks are frustrating.

NIntendo has posted it's financials

https://www.gematsu.com/2023/08/switch-worldwide-sales-top-129-53-million-the-legend-of-zelda-tears-of-the-kingdom-tops-18-51-million

https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/finance/software/index.html

https://www.ign.com/articles/nintendo-just-had-a-huge-quarter-thanks-to-tears-of-the-kingdom-and-the-super-mario-bros-movie

So yeah...TotK has so far sold 18.51 mill as of June 30th.  According to them this is a combination of people who have both played BotW AND people who haven't even played BotW prior.  This is why I said earlier that the exact formula that Zelda was prior to BotW is probably not coming back for the big games.  This is what it's going to be moving forward with tweak and probably further refining what worked in the older titles and integrating it with the new backbone.  The sales within just almost 2 month span was enough to put it in the top 10 of game releases for the Switch.  Sales of first party have been it's highest ever for the first quarter since the launch of the Switch in March 2017.

Also Mario Mania is in full swing pretty much due to the Mario Movie.  The movie has created a boost in sales to pretty much most of the games.  Box Office revenue for that movie reach 1.349 Bill in revenue

Edit: forgot to mention...if you have Peacock then you can actually watch the Mario Movie on there since it is not streaming on the platform.

Switch thus far has sold 129.53 Mill Worldwide.  This puts it just a little less than 25 mill from overtaking the DS.

Not hearing or seeing anything at the moment on further Metroid Prime Remastered sales or if Dread has moved the needle any currently.

Current sales for their top 10 titles on the platform

1. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe – 55.46 million
  2. Animal Crossing: New Horizons – 42.79 million
  3. Super Smash Bros. Ultimate – 31.77 million
  4. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild – 30.65 million
  5. Super Mario Odyssey – 26.44 million
  6. Pokemon Sword / Pokemon Shield – 25.92 million
  7. Pokemon Scarlet / Pokemon Violet – 22.66 million
  8. Super Mario Party – 19.39 million
  9. The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom – 18.51 million (New)
  10. New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe – 16.17 million

They've also reported that their digital sales have increased by 35.9% Year over Year.

Edited by Sonichuman