Stage Select

Video Game Discussion Thread vol. 2

Yep I could not resist obviously and got Diablo 4; just the standard edition of course.  I had some rewards points saved up that knocked some of the price down (*that at least helps rationalize it in my mind a bit... the fact that I'm not actually paying the full price for an online-only game directly)

The adventures of my druid "Booga"(...because he's....a "Booga Bear"! 😄) have begun....he's around level 13 or 14 already....focusing on the bear form.  The "Pulverize" is serious damage right from the start, with upgrades that "fortifies" you and can cause "Overpower" damage to enemies in an area around you.  With a defensive passive the bear form also grants damage resistance; 3 points in that and I'm up to 9% resistance while transformed just off that passive.  

Microsoft Fined $20 Million For 'Illegally' Collecting Children's Information On Xbox

The FTC's decision follows a similar, albeit larger crackdown on Epic last year

The Federal Trade Commission just announced that Microsoft has been fined $20 million “over charges it illegally collected personal information from children who signed up for its Xbox gaming system without their parents’ consent”.

The ruling follows a larger one from December 2022, when Epic Games, developers of Fortnite, were hit with a $550 million fine for using “privacy-invasive default settings and deceptive interfaces that tricked Fortnite users, including teenagers and children”.

In this instance, the FTC says the issue centred around the creation of children’s accounts on an Xbox console, a process that until late 2021 would allow a child to enter a certain amount of personal information before requiring a parent’s assistance and permission. Microsoft had been keeping that data (sometimes for “years”), even if the account wasn’t created, which is a violation of the Children’s Online Privacy Protection Rule (COPPA).

Microsoft have already responded to the ruling with a post on the official Xbox blog, with Dave McCarthy, CVP Xbox Player Services, saying the violation was a result of a “glitch”, and that Microsoft will “continue improving” going forwards:

We recently entered into a settlement with the U.S. Federal Trade Commission (FTC) to update our account creation process and resolve a data retention glitch found in our system. Regrettably, we did not meet customer expectations and are committed to complying with the order to continue improving upon our safety measures. We believe that we can and should do more, and we’ll remain steadfast in our commitment to safety, privacy, and security for our community.

McCarthy goes on to explain the details of this “glitch”, and how it led to retention of children’s data despite this being “inconsistent with our policy to save that information for only 14 days”:

The FTC’s statement, meanwhile, says:

Microsoft will pay $20 million to settle Federal Trade Commission charges that it violated the Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act (COPPA) by collecting personal information from children who signed up to its Xbox gaming system without notifying their parents or obtaining their parents’ consent, and by illegally retaining children’s personal information.

“Our proposed order makes it easier for parents to protect their children’s privacy on Xbox, and limits what information Microsoft can collect and retain about kids,” said Samuel Levine, Director of the FTC’s Bureau of Consumer Protection. “This action should also make it abundantly clear that kids’ avatars, biometric data, and health information are not exempt from COPPA.”

As part of a proposed order filed by the Department of Justice on behalf of the FTC, Microsoft will be required to take several steps to bolster privacy protections for child users of its Xbox system. For example, the order will extend COPPA protections to third-party gaming publishers with whom Microsoft shares children’s data. In addition, the order makes clear that avatars generated from a child’s image, and biometric and health information, are covered by the COPPA Rule when collected with other personal data. The order must be approved by a federal court before it can go into effect.

15 minutes ago, AriesWarlock said:

Microsoft Fined $20 Million For 'Illegally' Collecting Children's Information On Xbox

The FTC's decision follows a similar, albeit larger crackdown on Epic last year

The Federal Trade Commission just announced that Microsoft has been fined $20 million “over charges it illegally collected personal information from children who signed up for its Xbox gaming system without their parents’ consent”.

The ruling follows a larger one from December 2022, when Epic Games, developers of Fortnite, were hit with a $550 million fine for using “privacy-invasive default settings and deceptive interfaces that tricked Fortnite users, including teenagers and children”.

In this instance, the FTC says the issue centred around the creation of children’s accounts on an Xbox console, a process that until late 2021 would allow a child to enter a certain amount of personal information before requiring a parent’s assistance and permission. Microsoft had been keeping that data (sometimes for “years”), even if the account wasn’t created, which is a violation of the Children’s Online Privacy Protection Rule (COPPA).

Microsoft have already responded to the ruling with a post on the official Xbox blog, with Dave McCarthy, CVP Xbox Player Services, saying the violation was a result of a “glitch”, and that Microsoft will “continue improving” going forwards:

We recently entered into a settlement with the U.S. Federal Trade Commission (FTC) to update our account creation process and resolve a data retention glitch found in our system. Regrettably, we did not meet customer expectations and are committed to complying with the order to continue improving upon our safety measures. We believe that we can and should do more, and we’ll remain steadfast in our commitment to safety, privacy, and security for our community.

McCarthy goes on to explain the details of this “glitch”, and how it led to retention of children’s data despite this being “inconsistent with our policy to save that information for only 14 days”:

The FTC’s statement, meanwhile, says:

Microsoft will pay $20 million to settle Federal Trade Commission charges that it violated the Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act (COPPA) by collecting personal information from children who signed up to its Xbox gaming system without notifying their parents or obtaining their parents’ consent, and by illegally retaining children’s personal information.

“Our proposed order makes it easier for parents to protect their children’s privacy on Xbox, and limits what information Microsoft can collect and retain about kids,” said Samuel Levine, Director of the FTC’s Bureau of Consumer Protection. “This action should also make it abundantly clear that kids’ avatars, biometric data, and health information are not exempt from COPPA.”

As part of a proposed order filed by the Department of Justice on behalf of the FTC, Microsoft will be required to take several steps to bolster privacy protections for child users of its Xbox system. For example, the order will extend COPPA protections to third-party gaming publishers with whom Microsoft shares children’s data. In addition, the order makes clear that avatars generated from a child’s image, and biometric and health information, are covered by the COPPA Rule when collected with other personal data. The order must be approved by a federal court before it can go into effect.

Live reaction from @DarkSakul

giphy.gif

Told you!

Strangers in Paradise - Final Fantasy Origin feels like a time capsuled game. I started it last night and shit is wild. It feels like every late 2000’s drab black and grey edge lord hack and slash game. The dialogue is so unbelievably cringe. 😂

Also the pacing is all over the place and I’ve only got into the first hour of the game. I know the twist of the game but it’s still WILD af and completely jarring. 

The gameplay is the definition of fine. I think it’ll be all the job classes that will keep me hooked. 

the twist 

Spoiler

Like the first FF1 you’re stuck in a time loop. Your main protag, Jack is Jack Garland who is Chaos. The game is basically you closing the time loop. 

Edited by iStu X
1 hour ago, RSG3 said:

This is like when Lord William didnt know any Michael Jackson music 😭🤣

Oh man it can't be anywhere near on that level cause LW somehow didn't know who MJ was....like period.  He wasn't aware him at all which is ridiculously amazing on a statistical probability level.  Me having not watched but being aware of Robocop isn't anywhere near that lol.

8 minutes ago, Sonichuman said:

Oh man it can't be anywhere near on that level cause LW somehow didn't know who MJ was....like period.  He wasn't aware him at all which is ridiculously amazing on a statistical probability level.  Me having not watched but being aware of Robocop isn't anywhere near that lol.

Friendly advice. Watch Robocop 1 and 2. Don't bother with 3 or the remake/reboot. Both were PG-13. A PG-13 Robocop movie is like Mortal Kombat 1 without the blood code. 

Capcom sales update: Resident Evil 4 remake at 3.7 million, Monster Hunter Rise at 12.7 million, more

Updated Platinum Titles as of March 31, 2023.

Notable updates include:

• Resident Evil 4 remake (PS5, PS4, Xbox Series, PC) has sold 3.7 million units (New)
  • Monster Hunter Rise (PS5, Xbox Series, PS4, Xbox One, Switch, PC) has sold 12.7 million units (one million additional units since December 31, 2022)
  • Resident Evil 2 (PS5, Xbox Series, PS4, Xbox One, PC) has sold 11.9 million units (700,000 additional units since December 31, 2022)
  • Resident Evil 3 (PS5, Xbox Series, PS4, Xbox One, PC) has sold seven million units (600,000 additional units since December 31, 2022)
  • Resident Evil Village (PS5, Xbox Series, PS4, Xbox One, PC) has sold 7.9 million units (500,000 additional units since December 31, 2022)
  • Monster Hunter Rise: Sunbreak (Switch, PC) has sold 5.4 million units (500,000 additional units since December 31, 2022)
  • Devil May Cry 5 (PS4, Xbox One, PC) has sold 6.9 million units (400,000 additional units since December 31, 2022)
  • Resident Evil 7 biohazard (PS5, Xbox Series, PS4, Xbox One, PC) has sold 12 million units (300,000 additional units since December 31, 2022)
  • Monster Hunter World (PS4, Xbox One, PC) has sold 18.8 million units (200,000 additional units since December 31, 2022)
  • Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4, Xbox One, PC) has sold 10.2 million units (200,000 additional units since December 31, 2022)
  • Street Fighter V (PS4, PC) has sold 7.2 million copies (200,000 additional units since December 31, 2022)
  • Devil May Cry HD Collection (PS4, Xbox One, PC) has sold 1.4 million units (100,000 additional units since December 31, 2022)
  • Capcom Arcade Stadium (PS4, Xbox One, Switch, PC) has sold 1.1 million units (New)
  • Mega Man X Legacy Collection (PS4, Xbox One, Switch, PC) has sold one million units (New)

It should be noted that while Resident Evil 4 remake is listed at 3.7 million units sold, this number is as of March 31, which is slightly outdated. Capcom has already announced that Resident Evil 4 has shipped over four million units.

Get the full updated list of Platinum Titles below.

vids

Spoiler

Gamexplain is saying that the Super Mario Bros movie releases this week

Last I checked on it on amazon it still had the placeholder date but dude has it RIGHT there in his hand and he says some people got it last weekend that preordered it  *checks his order*  Looks the date on it getting to me is June 13th.  Guess I'm not getting it this week...DISAPPOINTEEEEEED!!!  My son is gonna be so happy to watch this movie again.

^ Crime Boss: Rockay City - Console Announce Trailer

5 minutes ago, Darc_Requiem said:

Friendly advice. Watch Robocop 1 and 2. Don't bother with 3 or the remake/reboot. Both were PG-13. A PG-13 Robocop movie is like Mortal Kombat 1 without the blood code. 

Crazy that the consensus for the most part from you guys is mostly to watch the first 2 and to mostly ignore everything else.   M rated franchises done as PG-13 movies can work...they just have to be done correctly which from the sounds of things neither of those movies succeeded.

Has anyone here who grew up playing fighting games in arcades and only can play fighters with sticks, transitioned to a hitbox?

I am a bit curious about trying one out but I think I will have a huge barrier trying to switch to one from using a joystick the past 30 years.

I am somewhat curious about it just because you can get moves out quicker.

I also seem to struggle to do some QCF motions sometimes for some reason and miss those occasionally, whereas in prior SF games I played strictly charge characters as my mains so I didn't really deal with those.  But hitbox seems like, once used to it, that it would be easier to do all of that.

10 minutes ago, iStu X said:

Hit boxes prove how far we’ve strayed from gods light. Those things are an abomination. I fucking hate them. 

Why do you hate em?  Is it just because they have clear advantages over joysticks?

Just being able to pull off moves quicker is the main reason I want to try one out.  Changing directions with my finger tips would be just a bit quicker than waggling a joystick back/forth.

I really don't think I'd be able to get used to one though.  I am curious about trying one out though.

2 minutes ago, purbeast said:

Why do you hate em?  Is it just because they have clear advantages over joysticks?

Just being able to pull off moves quicker is the main reason I want to try one out.  Changing directions with my finger tips would be just a bit quicker than waggling a joystick back/forth.

I really don't think I'd be able to get used to one though.  I am curious about trying one out though.

Nope. Just an FGC boomer. 😂

My bosses both have one and I’ve tried messing with their hit boxes (phrasing?) and I hated how it felt. 

48 minutes ago, Chadouken said:

I heard hitboxes are banned from tournaments. Because you can input two directions simultaneously.

They have ways to check this now, so you can use a hitbox long as you pass the test that you can't input two inputs at once. 

Which by the way slows the event down because we have to check these dudes controllers so they don't cheat. 

I don't like hitboxes, they are cheating beyond just two buttons at once, being able to drum SRK inputs and 720s with basically no chance of error ever is not how these games where designed to be played. They where designed with a neutral pivot for a reason.

But Hitbox is here to stay so deal or cry about it I guess.  They aren't going anywhere. 

Edited by RSG3

I mean a hitbox is basically a keyboard so I don't really see how it's cheating, as long as the double input thing is resolved.  It's just a more comfortable keyboard and much different than the original intended joystick input of fighters that arcade games were designed for.

It would be jacked up to say using a keyboard on PC for a fighting game is cheating.

22 minutes ago, purbeast said:

much different than the original intended joystick input of fighters that arcade games were designed for.

That's my issue. They let you do things unintended because its a very very different input method then was intended or designed for. Its kind of like playing Baseball with a Cricket Bat. Yea they're both technically sticks of wood, but one really changes the game because Baseball wasn't designed around having a wide flat bat.

Yes i know this isnt 1:1, i pulled it out of my ass as a loose comparison.

10 hours ago, purbeast said:

Has anyone here who grew up playing fighting games in arcades and only can play fighters with sticks, transitioned to a hitbox?

I am a bit curious about trying one out but I think I will have a huge barrier trying to switch to one from using a joystick the past 30 years.

After playing pad from childhood and stick for 10+ years prior to switching to a Hitbox, I'd never go back. I own a couple nice sticks and they're great for shmups, but hitbox style controllers are a big improvement over sticks imo.

For one, it's far more ergonomic. I used to get pain in my left elbow but haven't had that in ages.

For another, it helps correct execution mistakes because sticks offer a greater range of motion than pretty much any fighting game needs so you have a greater opportunity to mess up. It makes motions that players have had issues with for 30 years basically trivial. It lets you spend your lab time more efficiently because rather than working on execution things that are difficult on a pad or stick, you can work on other stuff. 

I've been playing hitbox since 2018 and I can't say enough good things about it. To me it's as big an improvement over stick as stick is over pad and most of the people shitting on it haven't ever actually tried one for any length of time, so take negative opinions about it with a grain of salt. A lot of it is sour grapes from people who are competitive, but not competitive enough to go through the work of learning how to use something they aren't used to.

6 hours ago, Chadouken said:

I heard hitboxes are banned from tournaments. Because you can input two directions simultaneously.

This hasn't been the case since they first came out

Edited by DoctaMario
10 hours ago, Sonichuman said:

If it makes you feel better I've never seen any of the Robocop movies either, but then, I'm usually the person people are saying "How have you NOT seen x movie??" to, so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Edited by DoctaMario
1 minute ago, DoctaMario said:

If it makes you feel better I've never seen any of the Robocop movies either, but then, I'm usually the person people are saying "How have you NOT see x movie??" to, so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

There's still other things that I haven't seen yet that I know a lot of people enjoyed that I'll have no issue with going back and watching even if it's old to get context.  I'd never seen the first Topgun for the longest time but was always aware of it but Paramount + gave me the opportunity to check that movie out and appreciate it for what it was back in the day.    I try to watch things that have have their fandoms and have definitely had some sort of cultural impact that I may have missed since it helps for context on some things.  I actually hadn't seen any of the original Star Wars Trilogy in full until like...10 plus years ago?  I mentioned it to a customer when I was still at GS and of course dude gave me this look...

family-guy-upside.gif

Fully expected it lol.  Did not expect the guy to show up the following day and hand me the DVDs and tell me to go watch them lol. 

A lot of this stuff reminds me of why I like having my game collection ( and to closer extent my movie collection) especially for my son.

59 minutes ago, Sonichuman said:

There's still other things that I haven't seen yet that I know a lot of people enjoyed that I'll have no issue with going back and watching even if it's old to get context.  I'd never seen the first Topgun for the longest time but was always aware of it but Paramount + gave me the opportunity to check that movie out and appreciate it for what it was back in the day.    I try to watch things that have have their fandoms and have definitely had some sort of cultural impact that I may have missed since it helps for context on some things.  I actually hadn't seen any of the original Star Wars Trilogy in full until like...10 plus years ago?  I mentioned it to a customer when I was still at GS and of course dude gave me this look...

family-guy-upside.gif

Fully expected it lol.  Did not expect the guy to show up the following day and hand me the DVDs and tell me to go watch them lol. 

A lot of this stuff reminds me of why I like having my game collection ( and to closer extent my movie collection) especially for my son.

I hadn't seen the original Top Gun movie until maybe 2014 or 2015 and I gotta say, that is a great movie. Like somehow they made a movie that both guys and girls could watch and get something out of. I don't how they did it, but that movie is brilliant.

1 hour ago, DoctaMario said:

Probably due to stick players crying about it being "unfair" which is some smasher tier nonsense

Hey, I don't have a dog in this fight, I just though it was interesting is all. Apparently the ability to input two opposing directions like up and down simultaneously is an issue. I think it applies to keyboards, too.

9 hours ago, DoctaMario said:

After playing pad from childhood and stick for 10+ years prior to switching to a Hitbox, I'd never go back. I own a couple nice sticks and they're great for shmups, but hitbox style controllers are a big improvement over sticks imo.

For one, it's far more ergonomic. I used to get pain in my left elbow but haven't had that in ages.

For another, it helps correct execution mistakes because sticks offer a greater range of motion than pretty much any fighting game needs so you have a greater opportunity to mess up. It makes motions that players have had issues with for 30 years basically trivial. It lets you spend your lab time more efficiently because rather than working on execution things that are difficult on a pad or stick, you can work on other stuff. 

I've been playing hitbox since 2018 and I can't say enough good things about it. To me it's as big an improvement over stick as stick is over pad and most of the people shitting on it haven't ever actually tried one for any length of time, so take negative opinions about it with a grain of salt. A lot of it is sour grapes from people who are competitive, but not competitive enough to go through the work of learning how to use something they aren't used to.

This hasn't been the case since they first came out

Cool man thanks for that.  The execution stuff you are talking about is 100% one reason I want to try it out too.  Just playing a bit last night it became even more obvious to me that I have trouble with QCF motions being consistent, especially when facing right.  Facing left it's much easier for me and I get them like 100% of the time, but facing right, it's like 75% of the time probably.

I have a buddy I've known on IRC for like 20+ years who said months back to let him know if I wanted to try a hitbox, so I hit him up yesterday, and he has a spare PS5 one that he's going to send to me.  I am hoping to get it by this weekend.  It's not a "hitbox" brand but it's a snackbox.  It's a really nice custom one too.

One thing that I am curious about on it is that the buttons side of it are also 24mm.  I'm so used to 30mm, and I know you can get them in that layout as well (named "shoken" layout or something) so it will be interesting trying out with 24mm buttons.

He's also sending me this thing he has called the LOKI that basically turns any joystick into a "hitbox" style joystick.  That way I can try it out on my current joystick with 30mm buttons and see how it feels.  It's not 100% identical to a hitbox, but you can see it will have the same feel as shown in the video below.

I'll see if I'm able to adjust to it in a couple weeks and if so, I'll build my own hitbox style controller.

8 hours ago, Chadouken said:

Hey, I don't have a dog in this fight, I just though it was interesting is all. Apparently the ability to input two opposing directions like up and down simultaneously is an issue. I think it applies to keyboards, too.

Didn't say you did, I just think it's funny that people were complaining about it especially considering the ability to hold two opposing directions hasn't been a thing since they came out. You could do with on a pad that has analog sticks too, it's just difficult to do and nobody says anything about that.

2 hours ago, Jion_Wansu said:

Interesting. So, back when they only had FightCade 1, I used keyboard, because I didn't have the equipment available for a stick. I hated it because I couldn't use grapplers at all due to the 360 and 720 input being difficult on keyboard for me.

The only motion I really had trouble with was tiger knee. I trained them but just couldn't get the hand of it. Other than that, it made everything much easier for me. 

1 hour ago, purbeast said:

Cool man thanks for that.  The execution stuff you are talking about is 100% one reason I want to try it out too.  Just playing a bit last night it became even more obvious to me that I have trouble with QCF motions being consistent, especially when facing right.  Facing left it's much easier for me and I get them like 100% of the time, but facing right, it's like 75% of the time probably.

I have a buddy I've known on IRC for like 20+ years who said months back to let him know if I wanted to try a hitbox, so I hit him up yesterday, and he has a spare PS5 one that he's going to send to me.  I am hoping to get it by this weekend.  It's not a "hitbox" brand but it's a snackbox.  It's a really nice custom one too.

One thing that I am curious about on it is that the buttons side of it are also 24mm.  I'm so used to 30mm, and I know you can get them in that layout as well (named "shoken" layout or something) so it will be interesting trying out with 24mm buttons.

He's also sending me this thing he has called the LOKI that basically turns any joystick into a "hitbox" style joystick.  That way I can try it out on my current joystick with 30mm buttons and see how it feels.  It's not 100% identical to a hitbox, but you can see it will have the same feel as shown in the video below.

I'll see if I'm able to adjust to it in a couple weeks and if so, I'll build my own hitbox style controller.

I had a problem with overshooting qcf motions sometimes and I'd wind up jumping, so I feel you. It took me about a month to get used to using my thumb for that "Up" button but other than that, it was a pretty smooth transition. I've heard good things about those snackbox controllers and I'm bummed my hitbox won't work with my PS5, but maybe I'll pick up a new.clntroller in the future if I decide to start playing more fighting games on there.

Edit: I might have to look into that Loki thing. I have a Quanba stick that I love and would really like to convert.

Edited by DoctaMario