Stage Select

Street Fighter 6 Lounge: The FGC has a crack problem.

Just now, Vhozite said:

Yeah newer/well maintained discords are a good resource. I’m much more open to the platform now that channels use pins, have roles, bots, etc. Early discords were the wild fucking west where is was just a chat rooms you couldn’t find any info in if. 

I had some discords from way back that were well maintained mostly because we used custom bots we programmed, in fact our current latam discord and prog music discord is still like that since there are plenty of functionalities our boths have that modern discord still has not implemented, or our versions are better/suits our needs better.

Discord is basically IRC 2.0, so if you know how to implement shit, you can do a lot of stuff using bots.

5 hours ago, Daemos said:

It was even MORE valuable between 2000 and 2010. Especially in the dark ages before the announcement of SF4. Other platforms didn't take off yet. SRK was an oasis in the wild west that was the internet back then.

I've had an SRK account since 2004-5 but I spent most of my online time from 2005-2011 on Tekken Zaibatsu. I hung around there starting with SSF4 after I decided Tekken 6 wasn't hitting like DR did, then when SFxT got announced SRK was my go-to until it finally shut down and all the splinter discords came about. 

TZ was like SRK with less "toxicity" helped along by neat little perks like character emotes and the Tekken DR Ghost Library where you could play people's ghosts on your PSP by downloading it from the forums. Putting all my fraudulent Divine Fist ranks on that site was something that kept me there for like 4-5 years until I started to drift once SF4 came out. 

I THINK TZ is back now? It went up and down for a while. I should check in again. 

EDIT: nope, now you have to be an admin to access it.  Dang.

Edited by Psychoblue
3 hours ago, Illwill88 said:

SRK is probably the only website I was ever nervous to post on but this was like 06-07. But it was informative and cool af. Like I could actually find people to play around me in nc .

yeah you get flamed / BURNED status your post easily in SRK if your not among the collective idea that time in different thread even your not against or opposite of the current topic, like talking about non-gameplay features. unlike CVS forums and BSS. 

but it was very informative like sticks and the strategies. i was there in 05 

Edited by Shakunetsu
8 hours ago, Daemos said:

It was even MORE valuable between 2000 and 2010. Especially in the dark ages before the announcement of SF4. Other platforms didn't take off yet. SRK was an oasis in the wild west that was the internet back then.

Tangent.

The moment I see someone say "dark ages", the only thing that comes to my mind, is the meme, Tell me that you X without telling me you X.

In this case, X being that you only play/played capcom fighting games.

Specially because during those "dark ages", plenty of popular series came to be, and series like Tekken and MK (even if you/we like it or not) became huge that eclipsed SF in sales.

13 minutes ago, Hecatom said:

Tangent.

The moment I see someone say "dark ages", the only thing that comes to my mind, is the meme, Tell me that you X without telling me you X.

In this case, X being that you only play/played capcom fighting games.

Specially because during those "dark ages", plenty of popular series came to be, and series like Tekken and MK (even if you/we like it or not) became huge that eclipsed SF in sales.

It’s a meme, relax. Obviously there were plenty of games coming out. I bought all the MKs for example and dabbled where I could elsewhere. Nothing that could scratch the itch left by Capcom’s zenith in 2D fighting. I ended up playing CVS2, CFJ, Alpha3, and even 3S eventually on repeat in the 2000s before SF4.

I’m a Capcom fan through and through obviously, so for people like me it was dark as we truly believed the fighting division was done for good. We spent our time trying to piece together anything from Japanese interviews etc in hopes of finding hints of hope. We also argued nonstop for hundreds of pages about the SF canon until an encyclopedic collection of knowledge accreted on SRK. We made the best of it. Thank Ono Capcom came through in the end.

Edited by Daemos
37 minutes ago, AriesWarlock said:

rejoice @Sonero time for more fun!

Jesus...if MegaShock wants me to I'll stream that shit.

😂

Artwork looks great and the fact that you get some type of dash move already looks like a positive. Think they were well aware of where they fucked up in the first game.

15 hours ago, Vhozite said:

Main opinion I remember hearing about SRK was that it was elitist lol. 

To me the biggest thing about SRK that people would not miss words when telling you were bad or wrong about something. Nothing was sugarcoated and i could definitely see how the place would come across as mean to a fresh face. I lurked a long time before joining because I didn’t want to get aired out lol. 

I remember the elitist comments, but also, that was half the point of the site.  This wasn't a  general gaming population it was FGC specifically. You went there to learn. To git good. It wasn't about opinions.

And yeah people didn't mince words, but I still found it friendlier than the Usenet channel.  alt.rec.games.sf I think it was called? Feral place. You couldn't upload videos back then to prove anything so... Oh boy...

Best you could hope for was others outside the argument to try things out and add their voice. But even then with no training mode or hard numbers on stuff...

Edited by Pair of Rooks
Just now, Pair of Rooks said:

I remember the elitist comments, but also, that was half the point of the site.  This wasn't a  general gaming population it was FGC specifically. You went there to learn. To git good. It wasn't about opinions.

And yeah people didn't mince words, but I still found it friendlier than the Usenet channel.  alt.rec.games.sf I think it was called? Feral place. You couldn't upload videos back then to prove anything so... Oh boy...

Not only FGC, but tournament oriented people.

It was about those who either wanted to play at tournaments or at least wanted to play at competitive level.

Reminder that whn 09ers came out and started to try to argue about stuff on fgs with top level players despite they (the 09ers) being wrong is what drove the top players away from the forums.

What is hilarious is that now they engage with people that are way more stupid and more stubborn with their opinions on twatter

This has been more a problem for me at meetups than at tournaments, everyone talking to me and then the loud clicking of these boxes while playing Tekken is too much stimulation at once, and harder for me to lock in compared to a tournament when I'm on stage. Anyone else have this problem? 

11 hours ago, Hecatom said:

Not only FGC, but tournament oriented people.

It was about those who either wanted to play at tournaments or at least wanted to play at competitive level.

Reminder that whn 09ers came out and started to try to argue about stuff on fgs with top level players despite they (the 09ers) being wrong is what drove the top players away from the forums.

What is hilarious is that now they engage with people that are way more stupid and more stubborn with their opinions on twatter

I would much prefer it if the forums required linking to your game account and showed your rank on every post .

I know few people would like being advertised like that but I feel it would solve so many game argument issues that full anonymity brings.  

I joined SRK in 2011 3 months before the release of MvC3. I joined up because none of the communities I was a part of at the time didn't give a shit about it and I want to be in a place that matches my hype levels. At the time I joined the KFC meme was going around.

I was completely oblivious to SRK reputation until I ventured into GD and saw how many of the vets disliked 09ers.