Stage Select

The Street Fighter V Thread

3 hours ago, Mattatsu said:

Don’t give them ideas

Capcom Staff: "Naw. Naw. Naw. Let me tell you a little somethin'. First of all... It costs $2 to press start on the title screen. Want DLC characters? That's $20 up front, on top of the $60 you just spent on SFVI. It's going to cost you 25 cents to pick a character in the roster and blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah-" 

26 minutes ago, GreatDarkHero said:

Capcom Staff: "Naw. Naw. Naw. Let me tell you a little somethin'. First of all... It costs $2 to press start on the title screen. Want DLC characters? That's $20 up front, on top of the $60 you just spent on SFVI. It's going to cost you 25 cents to pick a character in the roster and blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah

I remember having a debate in a fb group that people even count paper and pen for the meeting expenses for SFV update because of terrible launch. This was before S1 was announced. lol

It was the time when people are desperate justifying SFV lack of content and bare bones launch.

as if Capcom was a low budget company like SNK in a verge of bankruptcy or along the level of Arika.

Edited by Shakunetsu
9 minutes ago, Shakunetsu said:

I remember having a debate in a fb group that people even count paper and pen for the meeting expenses for SFV update because of terrible launch. This was before S1 was announced. lol

It was the time when people are desperate justifying SFV lack of content and bare bones launch.

as if Capcom was a low budget company like SNK in a verge of bankruptcy or along the level of Arika.

For a AAA Company they do a shit Job with their main eSports titel.

Game is 4 years old and day 1 problems haven't been fixed yet, instead we get Dan and more costumes.

They intentionally do that and probably measuring how people would react and accept it. They did it with SFXT.

It's terrible. I hope they would learn their lesson in SF6. 

I just hope the quality wouldn't deteriorate more than before.

SFV launch was the worst of their modern titles. MVCi content was far much better despite having more negative publicity.

1 hour ago, Mr.Cipher said:

So my assumption that Capcom knows that they can do whatever they want and people will stick to them is correct?

I do kinda believe that too, because of SFV and MVCi.

Capcom used to be the standard and trend setter and probably think they are still but they miscalculated and it backfires especially during MVCi because DBFZ wasn't in anyone's radar and expectation when it suddenly came out.

Edited by Shakunetsu
1 hour ago, Shakunetsu said:

I do kinda believe that too, because of SFV and MVCi.

At least they've been trying to improve SFV constantly since launch, with mixed results. 

They just let MvCi die. DBFZ did totally murder it, but capcom totally laid down, and as a result probably completely destroyed the relationship with Disney as a result. 

speaking of MvCi @Mattatsu @Darc_RequiemY'all want games this weekend? I forget who else has that game...

Edited by KingTubb

Capcom surely is not a company that is on the verge of bankrupcy, but the sad truth that many fans and enblers dont understand is that capcom since some years ago see fgs as a small revenue venture which is not worth pursuing, ehich prompts them to treat fgs as if they were one, lol.

It is why you see that after some years their entries have become steadily worse.

This trend is older than SFIV.

They had the same problem on the old days, after a while, most of their games became steadily worse and had signals that they tried to cut corners when making them.

They gave up on fgs once already.

And took years of people like Ono to try to convince them to make a new SF game, showing them that SFIV could be done in 3d showing them Battle Fantasia as an example.

SFIV came out at the right time, where the Nostalgia and technology were at a point that allowed for the game to become a big thing (youtube, twitch, online infrastructure oriented hd consoles, etc).

This also created an expectation, since SFIV sold particularly well.

Something that subsequent games didnt manage to do.

Each game has been selling progressively worse, which in turn has been making them spend less on the next game, making it a self sustaining cycle.

Each revision of SF4 sold less.

Contrary to popular belief, the mvc series is not really that popular outside the usa fgc.

MVC3 sold less than SFIV, and its momentum was cut short when they annunced umvc3 3 months later to mvc3, and releasing it just 8 months later after the launch of mvc3.

It made the people became wary of investing themselves into mvc3.

SFxT was seen as an oddity that was capcom doing the recycle thing that made their games lag behind prior sfiv.

Then add that the game was like cursed, having controversies almost right of the bat, all because they keep doing dumb shit with the game.

SFV launch was the result of all of that plus some issues of their own.

They were trying to push the game as soon as possible to be able to have it ready for the new CPT season

Then add it was a game made on the cheap, where a good chunk of the costs were money hatted by sony.

And all of that culminated on MVCI, where after steady and increasing worse performance for each game, they ended making a game with not real effort, that is coupled with a lot of issues that lincensing from marvel and disney which makes it a nightmare to deal with, ended flopping hard.

DBFZ only helped to put on perspective how little capcom cared about making a good product (and just to be clear, i am talking about capcom the company, and not the devs that probably tried to do the best they could with what little they had to do so)

I wouldnt be surprised if SF6 will be the same, or do a lot of dumb shit again.

Yes, capcom has been on a redemption arc with a lot of games, but there are not really much signs that they will try to not make the same mistakes with their fgs, since we still not see a commitmet to improve SFV a game that has stylized itself as a live service and has been their main esports game.

And on top of that, SF lost its director/producer Ono mid developement.

This is usually a bad sign for most games, since it is a sign of trobled developement.

Time will tell if SF6 will not be plagued by the mistakes of the past, but tbh, with capcom, when it comes to fgs, i dont really expect much.

Just now, KingTubb said:

They just let MvCi die. DBFZ did totally murder it, but capcom totally laid down, and as a result probably completely destroyed the relationship with Disney as a result. 

Yeah there was a point they can make a comeback like if they would release an expansion after DBFZ second season when thing feel stale but they ignore and didn'y bother.

11 minutes ago, KingTubb said:

At least they've been trying to improve SFV constantly since launch, with mixed results. 

speaking of MvCi @Mattatsu @Darc_RequiemY'all want games this weekend? I forget who else has that game...

I think that DBFZ was mostly the nail in the coffin.

With Disney and Capcom being the murderers.

Capcom being lazy and Disney being a control freak that once it saw the game bad reception and bad performance pulled the plug on it (and the scene, since they are not really willing the game to be a thing, since the bad optics)

Not that capcom wouldnt do it themselves, since they already abandoned mvc3 (although for different reasons).

I think that capcom would be better if  that the next vs style game is a full capcom crossover, since that would allow them to do what they want freely, implement the gamestyles they want without having to deal with an external party, and monetize it and publish it as they please.

7 minutes ago, KingTubb said:

Agreed. That game has good bones, and if they put some new characters in it, spit shined it with visual improvements and such, the game woulda done a lot better. 

That's the problem. They fucked up presentation worse than vanilla KoF14 and they most likely didn't want to deal with Marvel's shenanigans regarding that and the lame artstyle.

8 minutes ago, Shakunetsu said:

Yeah there was a point they can make a comeback like if they would release an expansion after DBFZ second season when thing feel stale but they ignore and didn'y bother.

5 minutes ago, KingTubb said:

Agreed. That game has good bones, and if they put some new characters in it, spit shined it with visual improvements and such, the game woulda done a lot better. 

Capcom is not the only company involved with the game.

Disney is also a factor, and while i do think that both parties simply let the game die, is very likely that Disney had a major role into why mvci was abandoned almost inmediately.

They dont like when something brings a bad look into their ips.

Also, while with recent numbers you can say that MVCI finally met their expected sales, is worth to remember that after the game was abandoned, it has been on sale almost every week of the years since it release.

By the time the game released and some years after, the game very likely didnt had the numbers to justify futher investment, at least on the eyes of capcom and disney.

Side note.

It is probably also why Evo didnt ever bother to put the game in the lineup.

Is very likely that disney just pulled the plug and capcom let the Evo staff know that mvci wouldnt be supported after what was already done.

Or that disney themselves let them know that they wouldnt allow the game be part of it.

But that is speculaion from my part, lol.

2 minutes ago, Volt said:

didn't want to deal with Marvel's shenanigans regarding that and the lame artstyle

yeah, probably... 

I honestly feel like if they tweaked the lighting, the game wouldn't look that bad. 

I was messing around with it a few days ago and I looked at captain marvel and thought she looks pretty decent, could it be better? Absolutely. But it's not as bad as people make it sound. Her head and face do look very KOF 14 tho to be fair:

image.thumb.png.c3afc5d59df1e8dca25bff0df6116704.png

Just now, KingTubb said:

I'm not one of the guys that saying the lack of Xmen failed the game but at the moment when DBFZ is having tons of Goku a bit of Xmen, Nostalgic Tier characters from MVC2 and some new characters that people wanting to see return. Would probably make some noise since the other game was has lost it's mystery, charm and felt stale.

DBFZ was ground breaking that time because of visuals and gameplay for a DB game but not for a fighting game. It also was along the super episode when it was release.

Capcom best weapon is always nostalgia especially in crossovers but the problem is they ignore it for promotion, experimentation and marketing. 

Then would try to build an image that their games are for "pro" and those that dislike their content are just casual forgetting. Like they are confusing the casual that belongs to the nostalgic demographic as the same to those casual that are unfamiliar with there fighting games.

MK knows this demographic and takes profit with it while Capcom sees it casual as the same with just like the others. Not realizing that most of their casual are part of the nostalgic demographic.

This is why they ended up with poor design choices like gems that are not optimize like ism and groove but design for consumer for micro-transaction that are into mobile games, poor f2p structure for a paid triple A for SFV and poor PR campaign like they are just functions.

They try to make like you casual guys aren't pro enough so this ain't for you but most of their casual are those that grown from their old content not mostly 09ers demographic.

8 minutes ago, KingTubb said:

yeah, probably... 

I honestly feel like if they tweaked the lighting, the game wouldn't look that bad. 

I was messing around with it a few days ago and I looked at captain marvel and thought she looks pretty decent, could it be better? Absolutely. But it's not as bad as people make it sound. Her head and face do look very KOF 14 tho to be fair:

Have you seen the Kof Models with a better rendering?

db7dil7-ffb21095-974d-4faf-a5ff-dafd1bd3

12 minutes ago, Hecatom said:

Capcom is not the only company involved with the game.

Disney is also a factor, and while i do think that both parties simply let the game die, is very likely that Disney had a major role into why mvci was abandoned almost inmediately.

They dont like when something brings a bad look into their ips.

Also, while with recent numbers you can say that MVCI finally met their expected sales, is worth to remember that after the game was abandoned, it has been on sale almost every week of the years since it release.

By the time the game released and some years after, the game very likely didnt had the numbers to justify futher investment, at least on the eyes of capcom and disney.

It's also ridiculous that Marvel Contest of the Champion even outlived a triple a game like MVCi that has a strong community lol

And also Marvel Contest of the Champion also prove that there is a casual fanbase and their is also a strong new demographic that they can reachout and convert.

Because that game keep releasing characters and the problem is that they just mishandled MVCi production and goes to more promotional and experimental route instead of the better and obvious formul.

I don't believe that Disney is the one holding back XMen characters because of the Marvel Contest of the Champions and other Marvel games out isn't holding back during that time.

It's more like Capcom is just pointing fingers to hold on with DLC content. Capcom likes to tease and act like they struggling. It's like their marketing strategy or whatsoever.

I believe the facial models mold were not a messed because of budget reason. It's ridiculous but rather intentions and design choice to change their facial structures, that might be on disney arrangement with Capcom. @Skort probably knows that also.

Even low poly games manage to have a correct facial structures of chun li.

Edited by Shakunetsu
Just now, Shakunetsu said:

It's also ridiculous that Marvel Contest of the Champion even outlived a triple a game like MVCi that has a strong community lol

And also Marvel Contest of the Champion also prove that there is a casual fanbase and their is also a strong demographic.

Because that game keep releasing characters and the problem is that they just mishandled MVCi production and goes to more promotional and experimental route instead of the better and obvious formul.

I don't believe that Disney is the one holding back XMen characters because of the Marvel Contest of the Champions and other Marvel games out isn't holding back during that time.

It's more like Capcom is just pointing fingers to hold on with DLC content. Capcom likes to tease and act like they struggling. It's like their marketing strategy or whatsoever.

I believe the facial models mold were not a messed because of budget reason. It's ridiculous but rather intentions and design choice to change their facial structures, that might be on disney arrangement with Capcom. @Skort probably knows that also.

Even low poly games manage to have a correct facial structures of chun li.

I wouldnt call MVCI a tripleA game, lol.

And dunno about the community either, since everyone jumped back to mvc3 or to other games like dbfz.

It was even outmached both in terms of viewership and player numbers by smaller games for a lot of time (even today i would dare to say.)

And yes, disney was indeed holding the xmen back, in the comics all the ips that fox had the rights to, were killed off or discontinued.

Most games that managed to have the chars were games that were in developement/had contracts prior to the whole xmen debacle.

Do you really think that capcom will be that stupid to actually hold on fan favorites, allienating the core fanbase while also saying stuff like "characters are just functions" to try to tiptoe the situation?

They already had a lot of problems trying to include said chars on mvc3, it is a very known and documented issue.

The reason why MCotC outlived mvci is because it brings the money.

Disney pulls the plug on projects that dont do that, they also did the same with the diablo styled marvel game that was released some years ago.

Then add, that like i said, mvc isnt as popular as people think. Cross that with poor publicity,and bad reception and you have mvci 

Most of the gaming population wasnt aware the game was coming out.

By the time, i remeber that in many comic fan sites/forums, you had people talking about an hypotetical marvel game like injustice.

There is an interest, yes, but either for lack of publicity, an intimidating image of the series or apathy towards capcom or mvc, pople dont flock into the mvc series.

As for the models, i think it was a symptom of the rushed and low budget nature of the game.

You can see that some models were better than others (there is even some rumors about why is that, lol)

Is know that capcom outsourced a lot of the work on 3d models for their fgs, so maybe, that could be a reason why chun looked horrid.

Just look at how sfv looks inconsistent with their models, some looking good, and others odd in some places.

Just now, Hecatom said:

Is know that capcom outsourced a lot of the work on 3d models for their fgs, so maybe, that could be a reason why chun looked horrid.

Just look at how sfv looks inconsistent with their models, some looking good, and others odd in some places.

I don't really see it being outsourced why it looked terrible because Chun's face isn't even complicated and it's a generic mold in terms of facial structure.

Even cheap KOF production for mobile games and cinematic won't have problem molding with Chun's face.

It's like they are just really trying to change the face of Chun li in MVCi.

Much like they are desperate trying to change the face of Ken in SFV that turned into horrible results.

Just now, Hecatom said:

Most games that managed to have the chars were games that were in developement/had contracts prior to the whole xmen debacle.

Do you really think that capcom will be that stupid to actually hold on fan favorites, allienating the core fanbase while also saying stuff like "characters are just functions" to try to tiptoe the situation?

After SFV disaster launch I had no doubt that would would still risk and gamble.

That's why the decent character in MVCi that people were wanting were already locked in DLC day one. Like Jedah, Venom and etc. People were hating that those hype character were already in DLC.

4 minutes ago, KingTubb said:

They eventually fixed that one lol. Honestly, I think Chun's model is pretty good in MvCi. 

I kinda prefer it over SFV chun🤷‍♀️

You’re my friend and all but are you fucked? 🤣 MVCI Chun walks like a crab on lava. Lol

i should be around this weekend in the evenings but not sure when. I’ll let you know though. Also, I still owe 3S games to Dayaan... been ducking him since he smoked that Makoto

Just now, KingTubb said:

They eventually fixed that one lol. Honestly, I think Chun's model is pretty good in MvCi. 

I kinda prefer it over SFV chun

Yes agree they changed that and it's not really a major change it's just a little tweak and it would be fine.  The thing is they experiment with it like as if fans wouldn't notice.

I remember FilChamp acting and shilling at first that it was changed even at first it wasn't. LOL

7 minutes ago, Shakunetsu said:

Yes agree they changed that and it's not really a major change it's just a little tweak and it would be fine.  The thing is they experiment with it like as if fans wouldn't notice.

I remember FilChamp acting and shilling at first that it was changed even at first it wasn't. LOL

Dont forget he saying that he talked to Ono, and he promised it would be changed, like if Ono had anything to do with that game, lol.

1 hour ago, KingTubb said:

yeah, probably... 

The problem is that it's not just the lighting.

It's the lighting, the music, the UI, the voice acting, the roster...

At some point, it's just too expensive to try and save that thing.

17 minutes ago, Mattatsu said:

MVCI Chun walks like a crab on lava.

Yeah... It's not great, but SFV chun has enough stuff that I don't like that i'd give the edge to MvCi chun. 

SFV chun's skirt FREAKING out everytime she moves is annoying, her balloon tits are hilarious to me, especially when combo'd with the jiggle physics, and those hands are 5 times bigger than her head. 

Fidelity wise, it's better, but the overall build isn't for me. 

Never said I had good taste lol 

Edited by KingTubb
3 minutes ago, Hecatom said:

Dont forget he saying that he talked to Ono, and he promised it would be changed, like if Ono had anything to do with that game, lol.

That was really terrible that they are fooling people like it was still in the 90s and like treating there audience like they weren't familiar and informed with those things lol

16 minutes ago, Shakunetsu said:

I don't really see it being outsourced why it looked terrible because Chun's face isn't even complicated and it's a generic mold in terms of facial structure.

Even cheap KOF production for mobile games and cinematic won't have problem molding with Chun's face.

It's like they are just really trying to change the face of Chun li in MVCi.

Much like they are desperate trying to change the face of Ken in SFV that turned into horrible results.

After SFV disaster launch I had no doubt that would would still risk and gamble.

That's why the decent character in MVCi that people were wanting were already locked in DLC day one. Like Jedah, Venom and etc. People were hating that those hype character were already in DLC.

Outsourcing can lead to discrepancies in how the artstyle is translated into 3d.

Couple it with a rushed developement and you will have a more lenient approach into the aproval process of the assests.

Also, no doubt that they would put hype chars on the DLC, but if they really wanted o put the Xmen into the DLC, we would have seen at least some of them being promoted as such into it.

In this case, i am willing to give Capcom a pass becase is a know issue that affected a lot of media outside the mvc series.

Comics, toys, merchandise, etc were cockblocked from having those characters unless there were contracts before marvel introduced the policy.

By that time, the xmen and mutants were depowered, fan favorites killed, comics cancelled, games were shafted, etc.

You can find info about it online, and even read recounts about how the then CEO of marvel was known to have fits of rage when anything about xmen was brought up in his prescense.

20 minutes ago, Volt said:

The problem is that it's not just the lighting.

It's the lighting, the music, the UI, the voice acting, the roster...

At some point, it's just too expensive to try and save that thing.

And imo, the gameplay foundation isnt even that good.

I understand some people find it fun.

But i would contest their pretence that the gameplay is good.

The game has a lot of design choices that make the game devolve into dumb bullshit, while also neutering some strategies (those who were super effective on umvc3.

Like you said, the game failed at almost every level, so making a recovery was not really possible, imo.

And the sales numbers didnt justify trying to do an overhal that probably would have cost ore than what the game had as a budget initially. 🤣

28 minutes ago, KingTubb said:

Yeah... It's not great, but SFV chun has enough stuff that I don't like that i'd give the edge to MvCi chun. 

SFV chun's skirt FREAKING out everytime she moves is annoying, her balloon tits are hilarious to me, especially when combo'd with the jiggle physics, and those hands are 5 times bigger than her head. 

Fidelity wise, it's better, but the overall build isn't for me. 

Never said I had good taste lol 

Good counter-points actually.

13 minutes ago, Dayaan said:

is the prettiest looking 3D character in any fighting game

Different strokes🤷‍♀️ 

13 minutes ago, Dayaan said:

Contrarian perhaps? Or maybe so stupid

Yeah, it's stupid pretty much. Like I said, I think her boobies are too big, her head is tiny, her hands are frying pans. 

The skirt losing it's mind whenever she even thinks about moving is annoying as hell too.

I'm really just not a big fan of jiggle physics. I think they're silly. 

1 minute ago, Mattatsu said:

Good counter-points actually.

Thanks Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

D9l4Cg3XkAIFxPI.jpg

This has been a running gag

For someone that collect Ryu merch a lot like me

Japanese made merch wayback was more loyal to the source material and in-game design.

Sadly most western made goods are the one that had the most common altered faces even if comparing it to cheap gashapon, keshi and keychains.

As if they alwys want to create their own version.

MVCi art direction must have been handled by a western team that is working side by side with disney terms that's why they are altering it.

It's even looks like Kristen Kruek, I mean it's not that Kristen Kruek is ugly no she is not ugly but she isn't should be the face of Chun li in game.

plus it's a common practice for western comics whether DC or Marvel in this day and age that they try to reinvent the comic book character to have resemblance to their cinematic counter parts faces.

Edited by Shakunetsu

Capcom was using comic covers to reveal characters. Everything about MVCI was a disaster.

A lot of people didn't want to look at Marvel's hand in the damage. Simply looking at the concept art of MVCI is enough to know this game looking the way it did had more to do with Marvel than Capcom. If the game looked like the concept art, it would've been much better off. Interested to see if Marvel/Disney will pull the plug on the Avengers game sooner rather than later. That game lost Square a good amount of $$ and left them in the red and most of the playerbase fled altogether. 

4 minutes ago, KingTubb said:

It's up there for sure. I really like Karin's, Honda's, and Sagat's. But I don't like the overall look of SFV anyway. 

But, outside of ASW's shenanigans, i don't like 3D models in 2D fighters. Gimme sprites all day. 

I also love 2d sprites and animation in general (hence my hate towards the live action remakes from disney)

But on this day and age, outside small scale indies, i dont really see it happening anymore.

I wouldnt be surprised if the next FB game is a 3d game in the vein of ASW.

2d animation,specially pixel art is too costly, specially if you want high definition, plus it takes way more time.

3d models can be an acceptable solution IF the devs actually take care to stylize properly.

In the case of SF, the art style in 2d doesnt really translate well into 3d if they dont stylize accordingly.

There is this dissonance where they have both cartoony and realistic aesthetics, which makes the chars feel off.

From my perspective, is like they tried to make the chars look like moving figurines, but in the process some of the idea was lost.

Making it look cheap, imo.

Because once you move the models into blender for example, and tweak some of the proportions (mainly hands and feet) the models actually look way better.

4 minutes ago, Doctrine_Dark said:

Capcom was using comic covers to reveal characters. Everything about MVCI was a disaster.

A lot of people didn't want to look at Marvel's hand in the damage. Simply looking at the concept art of MVCI is enough to know this game looking the way it did had more to do with Marvel than Capcom. If the game looked like the concept art, it would've been much better off. Interested to see if Marvel/Disney will pull the plug on the Avengers game sooner rather than later. That game lost Square a good amount of $$ and left them in the red and most of the playerbase fled altogether. 

To this day i find appaling that 2 companies known for vibrant art styles didnt even bother trying to make a game with style like ASW or Atlus does.

As for the avengers game, who knows.

Probably SE and Disney have a more solid relationship or have a contract that will alow flexibility for the projec to be tried to be saved.

Specially because the avengers game costed hunderds of millions (dunno where the money went though), while mvci looked like a hundreds of thousands, making it easier to just abandon.

Edited by Hecatom

Posting this here for people who only hang out in the FG forum / SFV thread:

The site will be trying a new moderation style, and a new disciplinary system has been put in place.  I have also given you guys the ability to use a new tool called the MEGA DOWNVOTE.  You should read about all of this here:

These new systems will be tweaked over time depending on how things go.

5 hours ago, KingTubb said:

It's up there for sure. I really like Karin's, Honda's, and Sagat's. But I don't like the overall look of SFV anyway. 

They got it this time with Honda and Sagat. It's like in later release they knew not to go far from the original version.

Unlike the early batch of SFV characters that trying tp distance themselves from the original.

Even Alpha Ryu was different from the previous but they keep it now more close to the previous like Cody having the classic look.

2 hours ago, misterBee said:

Posting this here for people who only hang out in the FG forum / SFV thread:

The site will be trying a new moderation style, and a new disciplinary system has been put in place.  I have also given you guys the ability to use a new tool called the MEGA DOWNVOTE.  You should read about all of this here:

These new systems will be tweaked over time depending on how things go.

You want me as a Mod?

We like similar games and both think SFV is trash, I'm the perfect hivemind for you, buzz buzz