Stage Select

The Street Fighter V Thread

4 hours ago, Mattatsu said:

edit: i do intend on grabbing FF7R at some point (when it goes on a pretty decent sale), to finally try the series out, and I am looking forward to that.

This is probably my bias but I would say that FF7R is sort of its own thing rather than being representative of what the FF series is as a whole. As disparate as the FF games are they are usually similar in form; FF7R breaks from that in a lot of ways (many of which I've heard are successful).

I say that just because if you happen to really dig FF7R and then start casting around the FF series looking for another dose of that style of game, you're gonna run into a lot more of those turn based games that you may or may not enjoy.

And to Bee's point it is definitely generational. For as much as Square/SE have pushed FF7 as "the" game in the series, KH is probably way more popular on the whole than FF is in generations that came post FF7. Joke's on all of us, no one gives a fuck about our FF arguments, its all about Xenohort or whatever the fuck they call characters in that series. And for crusty old guys like me FF villains are Golbez and Kefka. Sephiroth is the guy I think of as "that dude I'm sick of hearing about from when the games started to get away from me".

Also to Zio's point: there are definitely good things to take away from SFV. I'll always say that CFN is an amazing thing (assuming it isn't causing any back end fuckery) and I think it has one of the stronger batches of new faces in the franchise.

2 minutes ago, GetTheTables said:

KH is probably way more popular on the whole than FF is in generations that came post FF7.

KH was so important to me when I was 13 years old.

But it's like fallout boy or wearing a "vote for pedro" t-shirt. I'm not embarrassed that I liked it at the time, but I ain't touching that shit now. 

4 minutes ago, GetTheTables said:

you're gonna run into a lot more of those turn based games that you may or may not enjoy.

Anything pre-XII is probably something Frames wouldn't be down with. 

1 minute ago, KingTubb said:

KH was so important to me when I was 13 years old.

But it's like fallout boy or wearing a "vote for pedro" t-shirt. I'm not embarrassed that I liked it at the time, but I ain't touching that shit now. 

Hey now, lets not be unreasonable.

Fallout Boy still has some fun dumb tracks to spin up now and then.

I bounced right the fuck off of KH, though I recognize that is personal preference. 0% of that franchise is what I'm looking for out of a vidya game. But I also recognize how that could have hit someone like FFIV did for me. I remember talking to Akhos a bit about it and that re-contextualized things.

8 minutes ago, GetTheTables said:

I bounced right the fuck off of KH

Don't know how old you are, but I was 10 when the first one dropped. The most exciting thing in my life was Toonami, and the disney channel had commercials all the time. Looked anime as fuck and wasn't turn based. I was in. 

By the time KH2 dropped, I was 13 and obsessed with wearing "My Chemical Romance" t-shirts and going to hot topic. Sora had more zippers and wore black now, It was a match made in heaven. 

If that shit came out in like 2012? I woulda picked up the first one and meh'd my way through it, totally skipping number 2. 

Tbh, I was a very impatient kid... I was like Bam Bam from the flintstones, instead of doing a spell that did 6 attack points and then have to sit there for the enemy to attack me their amount of x points, i’d rather play a TMNT game and smash the Foot with Mikey’s skateboard.

I’d be okay with slower games now if the game was compelling and strategic, tbh, I’d prefer that over mindless button mashing.

is there any FF game you would recommend a noob to start with? Keeping in mind I only have a PS4, a switch, and a 11 year old laptop that is showing its age.

Edited by Mattatsu
13 minutes ago, Mattatsu said:

Tbh, I was a very impatient kid...

Same here, man. I only attempted to play FF games cause I thought the characters looked cool. They were usually miserable experiences. 

13 minutes ago, Mattatsu said:

I’d be okay with slower games now if the game was compelling and strategic.

is there any FF game you would recommend a noob to start with?

FF Tactics is really, really good. It's a turned based strategy game, so it's not like any of the other FF games, and the story is pretty good. Job system is exploitable and awesome. Very rewarding, but you'll have to do research on how to meet requirements for jobs and sorta feels like "achievement hunting" sometimes. It's on iOS and android, and the port is actually really good. Played most of that game taking dooders a year or so ago. 

FFIX is on switch and is the most refined version of the "old school" FF battle system. Story is fine. It's more or less the same thing as every other final fantasy story up until then. 

FFXII is my favorite mainline FF and is on switch. Plays more like an MMORPG, you can move freely whenever you want, every action you pick has a timer before it's completed. Story is pretty good, but has a super weak main protag, which is fine cause he's pretty lame. Also has a really cool Job system

Edited by KingTubb
6 minutes ago, KingTubb said:

Same here, man. I only attempted to play FF games cause I thought the characters looked cool. They were usually miserable experiences. 

FF Tactics is really, really good. It's a turned based strategy game, so it's not like any of the other FF games, and the story is pretty good. Job system is exploitable and awesome. Very rewarding, but you'll have to do research on how to meet requirements for jobs and sorta feels like "achievement hunting" sometimes. It's on iOS and android, and the port is actually really good. Played most of that game taking dooders a year or so ago. 

FFIX is on switch and is the most refined version of the "old school" FF battle system. Story is fine. It's more or less the same thing as every other final fantasy story up until then. 

FFXII is my favorite mainline FF and is on switch. Plays more like an MMORPG, you can move freely whenever you want, every action you pick has a timer before it's completed. Story is pretty good, but has a super weak main protag, which is fine cause he's pretty lame. Also has a really cool Job system

Awesome! I’ll look into grabbing those ones on switch.

Also, unrelated to everything, but at work, yesterday and today especially, I’m damn near at my breaking point. I snapped in front of colleagues today trying to help me print something. I booted the printer and stormed out of the office. Not a good look.

ive talked to two other colleagues today and both of them are their breaking points too. One walked off a job site 6 hours earlier than they were supposed to... another told his boss to “fuck off” lol

strangely knowing I’m not alone has risen my spirits

3 minutes ago, GreatDarkHero said:

This is somewhat unrelated but a few of you might to take a look at the tweets here. 

While this will not come to the surprise of no one, it is still a bit of an issue. 

https://twitter.com/TMannu6/status/1337295055782961152?s=20

That’s fucked up lol. The winners were picked by 90% journalist and 10% fan votes... Doom Eternal didn’t stand a chance lol. I’m not going to bother watching those again. I’ll just check out the trailers when it’s done. I’m sure anything I’d be interested in would be all over here or my Twitter TL anyway

Did Waypoint collapse? That used to be Vice's gaming website, looks like they ditched it and now gaming is just a subcategory of the Vice website. 

I'm a pretty liberal guy, and I used to be a huge vice fan. They used to be a magazine and website that just put wild shit out there. Fringe culture shit, like "how to handle an office christmas party on Acid" and "What cities have the best crack". Now they're bordering on liberal propaganda. 

Waypoint was the breaking point for me with Vice. When Wolfenstein: the New Colossus came out, one of the people on their podcast was lamenting that she identified with a character because the character was Gay and her mom was oppressing her sexual preferences. 

The character wasn't gay. She was into black guys. Same lady also gave the witness a bad review because she said something along the lines of "it had a randian objectivism agenda" of some kind of wild shit. 

TL;DR: Vice used to be cool and now they fucking suck. 

Edit: I looked up the Witness review. She said it had a shitty worldview because it had a rationalist agenda. It's a fucking PUZZLE GAME WHERE YOU HAVE TO MAKE RATIONAL LOGICAL CONCLUSIONS TO BEAT THE GAME. 

Surprised she didn't say fuck math too. 

Edited by KingTubb

Yeah, that’s the BS about it. Journalists and things are going to vote for what is the most progressive or maybe most news worthy. They’re not voting on what game was the best game for its respective category.

I don’t know anything about TLOU2, but isn’t there a trans character in it? Guaranteed Vice, or whoever voted for it, are writing up their articles now along the lines of “despite all odds”.

and to be clear, I’m very progressive. I don’t have an anti-gay/trans bone in my body. I’m in full support of them actually. I think it’s cool a game like that could win GOTY, but the majority of the voting power shouldn’t belong to companies that can profit off the outcome.

56 minutes ago, Mattatsu said:

Yeah, that’s the BS about it. Journalists and things are going to vote for what is the most progressive or maybe most news worthy. They’re not voting on what game was the best game for its respective category.

I don’t know anything about TLOU2, but isn’t there a trans character in it? Guaranteed Vice, or whoever voted for it, are writing up their articles now along the lines of “despite all odds”.

and to be clear, I’m very progressive. I don’t have an anti-gay/trans bone in my body. I’m in full support of them actually. I think it’s cool a game like that could win GOTY, but the majority of the voting power shouldn’t belong to companies that can profit off the outcome.

Nigga you only need to say something that doesnt agree with their dogma to be called a bigot, a ist, a phobe, lol.

Like for example, i sa a dude mention that Ellen Page was a mediocre actress or as she goes by ow, Eliot, and people jumped on him because he dare to say a now trans actor wasnt that good.

Which i agree, outside some few movies, most of the filmography she has has been ass or just meh.

Edited by Hecatom
2 hours ago, KingTubb said:

Don't know how old you are, but I was 10 when the first one dropped.

Google and Wikipedia tell me that KH1 came out on the PS2 in 2002. That puts me at 20 when that game came out. So yeah long past the target demo. 

Contrast that with FFIV which came out when I was 9, or FFVI when I was 12, and that way more lines up with something that was going to burrow right into my nerd-brain.

Edited by GetTheTables
5 minutes ago, GetTheTables said:

Google and Wikipedia tell me that KH1 came out on the PS2 in 2002. That puts me at 20 when that game came out. So yeah long past the target demo. 

Contrast that with FFIV which came out when I was 9, or FFVI when I was 12, and that way more lines up with something that was going to burrow right into my nerd-brain.

Ehh, i was 20 as well, and played the shit out of the whole series, lol

Just now, Hecatom said:

Ehh, i was 20 as well, and played the shit out of the whole series, lol

Yeah its also a "whatever appeals to you" thing.

Like broadly I fuckin' hate everything Tetsuya Nomura has produced. His character designs are okay but anything he has a hand in writing/directing/whatever just completely bounces off of me. But that is okay. Plenty of shit I like, someone else would hate.

I am happy for KH fans that they have a series they enjoy so much, and that there is so goddamn much of it. 🙂

I feel genuinely sorry for the people who never got to experience the PSX FF games (excluding IX) while growing up. After my initial 'what-is-this-weird-Jap-stuff' dismissal of it I gritted my teeth and forced myself to play for at least a couple of hours. After that I was hooked, and to this day they have - by far - made the biggest impact on me out of over a thousand games I've played. 

Edited by Volta
26 minutes ago, Hecatom said:

Nigga you only need to say something that doesnt agree with their dogma to be called a bigot, a ist, a phobe, lol.

Like for example, i sa a dude mention that Ellen Page was a mediocre actress or as she goes by ow, Eliot, and people jumped on him because he dare to say a now trans actor wasnt that good.

Which i agree, outside some few movies, most of the filmography she has has been ass or just meh.

The problem with social media is there are a lot of trolls, and dogpilers, and everything in between. When someone says “she’s a mediocre actress”, first of all, people don’t know the writer’s intentions, or how ignorant they may be on the subject. I have a mutual trans friend on twitter (we follow each other and often like each other’s posts) and she was crying because her parents called Elliot a “she” after the news. People being people, they’re going to assume this “she’s mediocre” commenter is being a troll and insensitive to trans, so you have hundreds of people dogpiling them for that alone. Also, i do fear that Elliot may, unfortunately, have a hard time finding work now for traditional male roles. Saying “she’s mediocre” may also hurt people that want Elliot to succeed.

i think it’s a slippery slope. I understand why saying not-super-positive about someone who is trans would get so much hate, but i also think it’s crazy when we can’t just state our opinions. If we’re truly progressive and accepting, then it shouldn't matter what gender or sexuality the actor is, we should be able to say their work has been mediocre, if that’s our opinion. It doesn’t mean it’s an anti-trans thing.

but again, it is social media and not everyone is accepting so you don’t know everyone’s intentions.

Edited by Mattatsu
4 minutes ago, Volta said:

I feel genuinely sorry for the people who never got to experience the PSX FF games (excluding IX) while growing up. After my initial 'what-is-this-weird-Jap-stuff' dismissal of it I gritted my teeth and forced myself to play for at least a couple of hours. After that I was hooked, and to this day they have - by far - made the biggest impact on me out of over a thousand games I've played. 

Yeah, i regret that too. My PS1 days were filled with playing Twisted Metal, Mortal Kombat, the die Hard trilogy arcade game, and other games of the sort.

Just now, Mattatsu said:

Yeah, i regret that too. My PS1 days were filled with playing Twisted Metal, Mortal Kombat, the die Hard trilogy arcade game, and other games of the sort.

Die Hard Trilogy is such an underrated game. As a poor kid I was absolutely stoked that I basically got three great games for the price of one. I loved Twisted Metal too, they should definitely revive that series as long as they stay true to 1 and 2. 

2 minutes ago, Mattatsu said:

Regret nothing. That is an awesome line up of games.

I spent a lot of time playing PS1 era JRPGs and while there was some gold there I also played a fuuuuuuuuuckload of mediocre shit. Thankfully I was young and had time to burn.

Upside of RPGs IMO is that I feel like they fight age a bit better due to leaning more on writing than overt flash and the mechanical aspect makes it less likely to go back to one and have a moment like "oh yeah I guess all we did this generation was push blocks around..."

If I was gonna tell anyone to go back and play a PS1 JRPG none of the mainline FF games would be on that list. Or I guess they would be but they'd be down a number of rungs.

7 minutes ago, Mattatsu said:

The problem with social media is there are a lot of trolls, and dogpilers, and everything in between. When someone says “she’s a mediocre actress”, first of all, people don’t know the writer’s intentions, or how ignorant they may be on the subject. I have a mutual trans friend on twitter (we follow each other and often like each other’s posts) and she was crying because her parents called Elliot a “she” after the news. People being people, they’re going to assume this “she’s mediocre” commenter is being a troll and insensitive to trans, so you have hundreds of people dogpiling them for that alone. Also, i do fear that Elliot may, unfortunately, have a hard time finding work now for traditional male roles. Saying “she’s mediocre” may also hurt people that want Elliot to succeed.

i think it’s a slippery slope. I understand why saying not-super-positive about someone who is trans would get so much hate, but i also think it’s crazy when we can’t just state our opinions. If we’re truly progressive and accepting, then it shouldn't matter what gender or sexuality the actor is, we should be able to say their work has been mediocre, if that’s our opinion. It doesn’t mean it’s an anti-trans thing.

but again, it is social media and not everyone is accepting so you don’t know everyone’s intentions.

Actually, The person called Page a he and Elliot in his post.

He was very respectful in his post, and was replying to a buzfeed article where they were reaching claiming about the movies we had the privilege to see from Page.

Niggas see everyhting as an attack because they are so fragile.

23 minutes ago, Hecatom said:

see everyhting as an attack because they are so fragile.

Well yeah, thats true too, lol. Everyone’s too sensitive. If you don’t agree with someone they take it as a personal attack.

Another issue with twitter (which in turn effects how you use the internet) is you (not you specifically, i’m using you as a general term here) often follow people who have similar beliefs to you and often they follow you back, so you have this little echo chamber around you where everything’s rosy and no one knows who the fuck Sephiroth is (lol), and then a comment that is opposed to that sticks out like a sore thumb and you feel super confident and supported like you’restanding up to the new bully in school.

this guy (ProZD) has a few videos that make fun of twitter pretty well. Fun fact, he also does the voice of that big nightmare-ish dude (Vaseraga) in GBVS.

Edited by Mattatsu
3 hours ago, Mattatsu said:

Tbh, I was a very impatient kid... I was like Bam Bam from the flintstones, instead of doing a spell that did 6 attack points and then have to sit there for the enemy to attack me their amount of x points, i’d rather play a TMNT game and smash the Foot with Mikey’s skateboard.

I’d be okay with slower games now if the game was compelling and strategic, tbh, I’d prefer that over mindless button mashing.

is there any FF game you would recommend a noob to start with? Keeping in mind I only have a PS4, a switch, and a 11 year old laptop that is showing its age.

Matt was the kid who picked all attacking moves for his Pokémon and thought the rest was useless

3 minutes ago, Vhozite said:

Training to beat the reigning gold medalist Laura Matsuda in theThot Olympics

If SF6 goes "woke" as it's rumored i do wonder how are they going to design Laura if she ever returns to the cast.

Laura is ass and tits, the character. I do like her, but how do u keep Laura being  u know....Laura.

Just now, Skort said:

If SF6 goes "woke" as it's rumored i do wonder how are they going to design Laura if she ever returns to the cast.

Laura is ass and tits, the character. I do like her, but how do u keep Laura being  u know....Laura.

I wouldn't be surprised if she was just simply taken out. Or, given the "Hello Nurse" or "Ms. Bellum" treatment (a character is written as absent and because their design "does not work" with today's current-year identity or woke politics). That is only a theory.

I do hope that SFVI doesn't take that route. 

3 hours ago, Mattatsu said:

Definitely recommend final fantasy tactics. Just make sure your first playthrough is a blind run. Looking up stuff would definitely ruin the experience. 

4 hours ago, Mattatsu said:

I'd also recommend FF Tactics. It's probably the only old game I'd recommend to someone who never played FF games.  As much as I loved the old school turn based FF's - they really didn't age well in my opinion.  Tactics is more of a strategy game and the battles are very fun and don't feel like a chore.  The story is pretty engaging as well.  It's a great game. 

FF7R is great too, and plays more like an action game than an old school RPG.  I'd recommend both!

5 hours ago, Volta said:

I'm in the opposite camp. I would have been better off never playing FFVII and VIII. VIII was the first game in the series that I said fuck it and quite playing after few hours. I made myself finish VII but my FF fanboyism got killed by that game. I stopped playing VIII, started playing Grandia and felt all the better for it.

56 minutes ago, Darc_Requiem said:

I'm in the opposite camp. I would have been better off never playing FFVII and VIII. VIII was the first game in the series that I said fuck it and quite playing after few hours. I made myself finish VII but my FF fanboyism got killed by that game. I stopped playing VIII, started playing Grandia and felt all the better for it.

Interesting, it's pretty rare to see a fan of the series who likes neither VII or VIII, most FF players like at least one of them. My favorites are VI, VII and VIII (not in that order) but I don't care for any other game in the series, including the online ones. Dissidia was OK, and I never got to play Tactics.

4 minutes ago, Volta said:

Interesting, it's pretty rare to see a fan of the series who likes neither VII or VIII, most FF players like at least one of them. My favorites are VI, VII and VIII (not in that order) but I don't care for any other game in the series, including the online ones. Dissidia was OK, and I never got to play Tactics.

Honestly, with VIII, I wonder if the translation had something to do with it. From what I've heard, they didn't really do the best job with the English script. With FFVII, I know that wouldn't have matter. I didn't care for the story, characters, or how they were conveyed and constructed.

I only knew of Sephiroth from a friend singing "Se-phi-roth, do do do do doo" all the fucking time. A different friend lent me FFVII at the time, but I had just discovered Skies of Arcadia, the Better Game. I now have FFVII Remake, but kinda lost interest halfway through. I still intend to play through it, but it's been so long I'm torn between starting again (and suffering through a handful of earlier chapters) or just carrying on. 

Edited by JustBrowsing
2 minutes ago, JustBrowsing said:

I only knew of Sephiroth from a friend singing "Sephiroth, do do do do doo" all the fucking time. A different friend lent me FFVII at the time, but I had just discovered Skies of Arcadia, the Better Game. I now have FFVII Remake, but kinda lost interest halfway through. I still intend to play through it, but it's been so long I'm torn between starting again (and suffering through a handful of earlier chapters) or just carrying on. 

The original game may give you a bit more context. 

In reality, beyond the constant memes and stuff on the internet (and the dumbass compilations), Sephiroth in the OG FFVII game and as he is shown in Remake, he is an absolute menace. A character of coldblooded ruthlessness, whose origins are unnatural to say the least.  

Edited by GreatDarkHero
Sephiroth is both a cool character but is also overrated in a lot of ways.