Stage Select

The Street Fighter V Thread

11 minutes ago, GreatDarkHero said:

A character of coldblooded ruthlessness

One of the best things about Skies of Arcadia, one of the main villains (trying hard not to spoil this 20 year old game here) is just the same. The hero is just pure good, full of hope - not edgy, remotely dark, anti-hero: nothing. When they come face to face, main guy just tells him "I'm here to kill you" - while smiling! - and it blew my tiny mind at the time!

Edited by JustBrowsing
additional fluff and stuff
3 hours ago, Volta said:

Interesting, it's pretty rare to see a fan of the series who likes neither VII or VIII, most FF players like at least one of them. My favorites are VI, VII and VIII (not in that order) but I don't care for any other game in the series, including the online ones. Dissidia was OK, and I never got to play Tactics.

I liked VIII over VII, though I didn't play either of them for very long.  I'd still say FF3 is the better one, and probably aged better than the PS1 era games.  But VII has the most cultural cachet for whatever reason. 

I really liked FF Tactics, but I got stuck halfway through and couldn't complete one of the fights.  Still recommend it. 

My first FF was the 8-bit one.  Got in on the ground floor on that series. 🙂  But I also never played a Pokemon game or a KH game in my life cause they all came out after I was in college.

2 hours ago, Mr.Cipher said:

I might be the only one who played trough the whole series..... I even struggeld trough II.

Whoever came up with FFIIs leveling system needs to be cut to pieces, burned, thrown into a a pool full of Acid and after that send straight into the sun.

It is that terrible.

The same fate should be reserved for the QA executive who gave FFXIII the green light. I felt I had to purify my PS3 with holy water after playing that abomination.

57 minutes ago, Darc_Requiem said:

I'll need someone from Southeast Asia to confirm this but isn't the Rising Sun  basically looked like the Nazi flag by some countries in Southeast Asia? IIRC Koreans in particular really don't care for it.

Yeah, that’s true. Out of curiosity, i read up on it this morning...

basically, the Japanese military and navy used that flag during quite a lengthy period (starting in the 19th century) where they murdered and tortured millions of people (murder estimates are between 3 and 14 million), which included WW2, when the Japanese military/navy stole thousands of girls and young women (I’ve read hundreds of thousands, mostly Koreans and Chinese) and used them as a sex slaves in brothels for the japanese military/navy. They did some pretty heinous shit under that flag.

the flag wasn’t created by the military and it is a really old, ancient symbol in japan that is still used (I guess as a symbol of prosperity), but has a different meaning to some others in the region for obvious reasons,

Edited by Mattatsu
1 hour ago, Darc_Requiem said:

I'll need someone from Southeast Asia to confirm this but isn't the Rising Sun  basically looked like the Nazi flag by some countries in Southeast Asia? IIRC Koreans in particular really don't care for it.

Basically the rising sun flag was the military flag of the Imperial Japanese Army and Navy in WW2 and before, and therefore countries in East Asia that aren't Japan associate that flag and symbol with Japanese imperialism and atrocities during WW2. The South Korean government in particular likes to throw a fuss over this sort of stuff while Japan likes to downplay it, so diplomatic accidents happen relatively often between the two countries. Korea in particular has a longer history with Japan than just WW2 since the country had been annexed as early as 1910.

It's mostly an issue between Japan, Korea and China rather than South-East Asia actually.

I guess Capcom is just being cautious over this sort of stuff and prefers to avoid anything that might have real-life political connections nowadays.

1 hour ago, Darc_Requiem said:

The Japanese raped/pillaged/murdered their way across Asia and considered non-Japanese as inferior peoples.  They weren't LIKE Nazis, they were just as bad and often even worse.  They bayonetted babies, raped women, and chopped the heads off of countless civilians.  Look up incidents like the Rape of Nanking for examples of how they treated local populaces. Prisoner of war camps were just as bad as concentration camps, and they performed inhumane experiments on prisoners.  They also coerced or kidnapped women to be used as 'comfort women', which were basically prostitutes used to service the troops.

Despite all the messed up stuff they did during the war, there are still Japanese who believe that these things did not occur or did not happen, and during the following decades the Japanese government has not always been willing to officially apologize or acknowledge past crimes -- it is a contentious issue in Asia.  Right-wing political factions push history books that gloss over or omit Japanese atrocities during the war.

The rising sun flag is a symbol of WW2 Japan and waving that around in Asia is like waving around a Nazi flag in Europe.  There are a lot of horrible things associated with that flag.

There are Japanese newspaper articles from the time interviewing soldiers who had decapitation competitions during the invasion of China:

Contest to kill 100 people using a sword - Wikipedia

6 minutes ago, Phantom_Miria said:

It's mostly an issue between Japan, Korea and China rather than South-East Asia actually.

I guess Capcom is just being cautious over this sort of stuff and prefers to avoid anything that might have real-life political connections nowadays.

There are a lot of bad feelings towards Japan in southeast Asia too.  South Korea and China have more clout though, so you usually hear about them.

A large part of Japan's so-called 'Greater East Asia Co-Prosperity Sphere' was made up of Southeast Asian territories, and they treated the local people just as badly.

It has been quite a few years now and a lot younger people love Japan because of games and anime -- but the crimes were very real, and there are people still alive who can remember the fucked up stuff that happened back then.

Japan also tried to conquer philippines too but it didn't last long and Filipino citizen doesn't relate the violence on the rising sun flag.

Japan was different before ww had ended according to some stories Japanese soldiers would throw up a filipino infant then catch with a riffle with a bayonet tip to induce fear and control to people.

Edit: A riffle with a bayonet  tip

LeeEnfieldSMLE-WWI.jpg

Last month there was a flipino girl in tiktok that was canceled by koreans because of having that flag in one of her videos.

I had read also in some soul calibur games namco replaced mitsurigi with arthur because of koreans having negative impression with samurai also.

Edited by Shakunetsu
4 minutes ago, Shakunetsu said:

Japan also tried to conquer philippines too but it didn't last long and Filipino citizen doesn't relate the violence on the rising sun flag.

Japan was different before ww had ended according to some stories Japanese soldiers would throw up a filipino infant then catch with the bayonet tip to induce fear and control to people.

Last month there was a flipino girl in tiktok that was canceled by koreans because of having that flag in one of her videos.

I believe also is why in some soul calibur games namco replaced mitsurigi with arthur because of koreans having negative impression with samurai also.

I don't know about current Filipino sentiment towards the Japanese, but I do know that Japanese occupation (which started in 1942 and ended in 1945) had disastrous effects on the country:

Fighting continued until Japan's formal surrender on 2 September 1945. The Philippines had suffered great loss of life and tremendous physical destruction by the time the war was over. An estimated 527,000 Filipinos, both military and civilians, had been killed from all causes; of these between 131,000 and 164,000 were killed in seventy-two war crime events.[53][2] According to a United States analysis released years after the war, U.S. casualties were 10,380 dead and 36,550 wounded; Japanese dead were 255,795. Filipino deaths during the occupations, on the other hand, are estimated to be more be around 527,000 (27,000 military dead, 141,000 massacred, 22,500 forced labor deaths and 336,500 deaths due war related famine).[2] The Philippine population decreased continuously for the next five years due to the spread of diseases and the lack of basic needs, far from the Filipino lifestyle prior to the war when the country had been the second richest in Asia after Japan.[53]

7 minutes ago, misterBee said:

I don't know about current Filipino sentiment towards the Japanese, but I do know that Japanese occupation (which started in 1942 and ended in 1945) had disastrous effects on the country:

The youth here isn't really carrying the perception of the war.

But those who suffer and became were part of the families that became sex slaves are still aftering japanese gov't. 

Many had tried to conquered philippines. And one of them is japan that didn't last long because of US intervention but japan was known to be the most cruel and dangerous.

Edited by Shakunetsu
14 hours ago, Pair of Rooks said:

I liked VIII over VII, though I didn't play either of them for very long.  I'd still say FF3 is the better one, and probably aged better than the PS1 era games.  But VII has the most cultural cachet for whatever reason. 

I really liked FF Tactics, but I got stuck halfway through and couldn't complete one of the fights.  Still recommend it. 

My first FF was the 8-bit one.  Got in on the ground floor on that series. 🙂  But I also never played a Pokemon game or a KH game in my life cause they all came out after I was in college.

It was the wiegraf fight that you got stuck on, wasn't it lol? Unless you don't remember at this point  

I continue to say FF8 is the best FF, due to the broken battle system.

Drawing magic from enemies is tedious, but the GFs and magic junction give you incredible amounts of freedom.

Learning and equipping abilities based on GFs mean you can make any character play any role.  Want to give Irvine the ability to res people?  No problem -- just equip him with the GF with the Revive ability.  Want to make Squall a healer?  Give him the GF that has the Recover ability.

Want your characters' normal attacks to cause sleep?  Junction 100 sleep spells to their physical attack attribute.  Make them impervious to fire by junctioning 100 fire spells to the elemental defense.

Stuff you can do in that game is wild -- even if it breaks the game it's really fun.

The game has its flaws but no FF before or since has let you have so much fun customizing things.

It's also the only FF where mindlessly leveling your characters makes the game HARDER.

2 hours ago, Flighflighflugit said:

It was the wiegraf fight that you got stuck on, wasn't it lol? Unless you don't remember at this point  

That fight is brutal.  And if my memory is correct the game prompts you to save before the battle - so unless you have a backup save file there's no way of going back and leveling up.  

44 minutes ago, HeavensCloud said:

That fight is brutal.  And if my memory is correct the game prompts you to save before the battle - so unless you have a backup save file there's no way of going back and leveling up.  

Yea the game literally tries to screw you over lol. 

Coming up with strategies to beat that fight the first time you play through the game was one of the most satisfying things  I've done in my life 😂

Edited by Flighflighflugit
1 hour ago, KingTubb said:

Ya boy just got a 4 TB hard drive so I can download every game. 

WHO WANTS MvCi and UNI GAMES BECAUSE I NO LONGER HAVE TO PICK AND CHOOSE! 

The Neverending Story Win GIF

What’s the name of the movie this gif is from? Is this the one where the world or whatever is fading away or and they are running from the seemingly imminent death/void? 

If it’s the movie I’m thinking about it freaked me out as a kid. 

Edited by Vhozite
9 minutes ago, KingTubb said:

@Mattatsualready said, Never Ending Story. 
fun Fact, Jack Black’s film debut was never ending story 3. That might be wrong but I don’t give a shit. 

also, I have been hankering for MvCi lately. If anyone wants to play, let me know. 

Fuck I just googled it and this is it. This movie filled me with existential dread as a kid. 

In my kid mind The Nothing was basically if Mother Nature was a Terminator.

Edited by Vhozite
11 hours ago, KingTubb said:

@Mattatsualready said, Never Ending Story. 
fun Fact, Jack Black’s film debut was never ending story 3. That might be wrong but I don’t give a shit. 

also, I have been hankering for MvCi lately. If anyone wants to play, let me know. 

What system you on?  I run PC monthlies on Arturo's channel and PS4 crew has multiple weeklies.  I can give you the hookup either way.