Stage Select

The Street Fighter V Thread

Just now, Jocelot said:

I didn't think Dan as an announcement could possibly get any more lame. But delaying the release of Dan is like having poop land on your head that later falls into your cereal.

CPT 2020 finals taking place in Febuary 2021 speaks volumes. The SFV producer says COVID-19 has slowed things. Which honestly lines up with the situation.

3 minutes ago, Darc_Requiem said:

CPT 2020 finals taking place in Febuary 2021 speaks volumes. The SFV producer says COVID-19 has slowed things. Which honestly lines up with the situation.

Jeah I don't doubt it, Covid has fucked everything up this year. That part is completely acceptable. I just... I just really don't like Dan.

edit- I guess that probably means the balance update and the mysterious "new mechanic" are probably being delayed to feb as well

Edited by Jocelot

So in between now and Dan’s release in February:

1)  Sephiroth will be officially released for Smash this weekend. You can also earn him starting today.

2) The leaked Fighterz character will have their trailer shown this weekend and be made playable sometime in January.

3) The Anji trailer for GG Strive will be shown on the New Years. Possible hint to the final character on the base roster.

4) After what felt like years, KOF 15 will have been shown off on January 7th.

5) On the same day, SamSho will reveal season 3. One of them being a Last Blade character.

Good time to be a fan of one of those.

2 minutes ago, BornWinner said:

So in between now and Dan’s release in February:

1)  Sephiroth will be officially released for Smash this weekend. You can also earn him starting today.

2) The leaked Fighterz character will have their trailer shown this weekend and be made playable sometime in January.

3) The Anji trailer for GG Strive will be shown on the New Years. Possible hint to the final character on the base roster.

4) After what felt like years, KOF 15 will have been shown off on January 7th.

5) On the same day, SamSho will reveal season 3. One of them being a Last Blade character.

Good time to be a fan of one of those.

Capcom was like how can we upstage these rival games?  Let's delay Dan's release until after all these announcements!

Quite a let down that the patch is coming in february when most were hoping for a december release.

While technically even as late as march would be considered winter 2020 / 2021 it's still lame how capcom made the road map to kinda make us think we getting some stuff this year.Bad form.

I couldn't care less about Dan or most new characters this late into the game's life but they could had at least dropped the balance patch and the new mechanic.

To be fair, I was already expecting changes because that roadmap had a fine print at the bottom claiming the schedule was subject to change.

My biggest problem is hardly anyone is hype for Dan, and dragging his release even further just makes this season start with a sour taste. 

Edited by mykka
3 hours ago, Skort said:

Quite a let down that the patch is coming in february when most were hoping for a december release.

While technically even as late as march would be considered winter 2020 / 2021 it's still lame how capcom made the road map to kinda make us think we getting some stuff this year.Bad form.

I couldn't care less about Dan or most new characters this late into the game's life but they could had at least dropped the balance patch and the new mechanic.

Expecting too much from Capcom.

How do we know Dan is coming with balance patch and the new battle mechanics??  

It might be only Dan the character in February.  

Edited by Flackaveli
2 hours ago, mykka said:

To be fair, I was already expecting changes because that roadmap had a fine print at the bottom claiming the schedule was subject to change.

My biggest problem is hardly anyone is hype for Dan, and dragging his release even further just makes this season start with a sour taste. 

I think that is very likely that Dan is ready and is the rest of the patch that is not being on schedule.

That or due the whole pandemic shit, is the reviewing and certification process on the ps4 end that is being hold back signifficantly.

I think its probably the combination of "oh shit we need more content" scramble and Covid making Dan and whatever comes after him taking way longer in the oven than they anticipated. 

Like you figure this whole thing was supposedly due to SF6 not being anywhere near ready. That's already a swerve. Then add in how hard this year has been on devs in general. Then add in that at this point the SFV support staff is probably like 4 employees and a hamster (server admin).

Shit we had stuff delayed fairly often even during the heyday of this game with zero complicating factors. 

I hope they release Dan in an AE Yun state just to drink in the chaos for a few months. They almost did it with Seth so I believe in the team.

Judging by how they barely had Dan footage (phone footage even!) when they first announced him, it's likely that they had fuck all ready besides the Dan model (barely) and CoVid further derailed everything.

It's just baffling really. It reeks of amateurish planning. By the time Champion Edition shipped, the focus should be on SF6. If they're still fumbling around with 5, either something went very wrong in 6's development (which may have been just CoVid fuckery) or they realized that they needed something to work as filler until 6 dropped. Could be both.

Regardless of why, the result is looking really bleak because instead of picking a hype fan-favorite to start the final season right, they picked Dan and now they're not only looking bad because of their fumbles, but also because of how the other FG companies are smoking them.

Tekken releases a huge netcode update and a season opener with Kunimitsu.

Capcom: "Uhhhhhh... Here's Dan's Legendary Taunt in V!"

Like bro, this is straight up embarrassing.

It's not even about picking Dan, I'd be cool with him as the last character because it'd be mostly for comedic effect and SF6 hype train would be on track anyway. But picking him first? Dumpster fire.

SFV will be looked at in the FG History books as when Capcom turned into the Knicks of the FGC.

Especially if they fuck up SF6.

Edited by Volt
10 minutes ago, Volt said:

I'd be cool with him as the last character

We still don't know who the last character will be. They still have a chance to make everyone happy.

Well, not everyone. A lot of the FGC seems to survive off of saying everything but the one thing they like is shit. But outside of them, everyone will have a good time 

7 minutes ago, KingTubb said:

We still don't know who the last character will be. They still have a chance to make everyone happy.

Well, not everyone. A lot of the FGC seems to survive off of saying everything but the one thing they like is shit. But outside of them, everyone will have a good time 

FGC is like any other hobby: most people don't really poke their heads out of their corner of the world. I see it everywhere. Understandable due to the time sink just one game/char can demand but folks usually aren't mindful of what that does to one's perspective. 

The last char for this SFV round is going to have the most impossible of impossible expectations built up by the time they are set to release.

It should just be "Uyr", a bearded Ryu with better frame data and one costume option: a t-shirt with SFVI's release date on his back and an animated gif trailer perpetually playing on his chest.

I feel like maybe they go for stunt casting with that last slot? They're already slightly doing it with Akira. And at this point there really aren't any "big" legacy characters to bring back (also who is left caring at this late point in the game's life, but that is probably just my perspective). 

4 minutes ago, GetTheTables said:

I feel like maybe they go for stunt casting with that last slot? They're already slightly doing it with Akira. And at this point there really aren't any "big" legacy characters to bring back (also who is left caring at this late point in the game's life, but that is probably just my perspective). 

Makoto, but they'll bring her back as some deathly ghoul version of her past self. Seth is already in though. She'd be redundant. 

Edited by Dayaan
Just now, Dayaan said:

Doesn't it? You fear DPs...

I just want some spice, homie. 

DPs, plasma, and twirly kicks are neat, but eventually you end up wasting slots with that shit. 

Most people end up playing the best shoto and the other ones just stay on the shelf. It ends up being a wash 

Just now, Dayaan said:

Makoto, but they'll bring her back as some deathly ghoul version of her past self. Seth is already in though. She'd be redundant. 

I'd always thought Laura would have made Makoto feel redundant.

But yeah there are some picks. Theoretically Fei Long is another one, but I fucking hate that character so I'm biased against him coming back. Anyone returning is a monkey's paw wish as you said.

Honestly at this point just throw out more random characters to get them out there and try out some ideas before the next game.

2 minutes ago, KingTubb said:

Stop with the Shotos, man. 

I like shotos, but SFV doesn't need a 14th shoto 

Its doubly funny because Akuma mostly shit on anyone else in that archetype since S2 so all of them have been mostly redundant. Ho ho ho. (Late reply but you got it)

Also shotos are like MK ninjas: you just kind of have to accept that a certain % of the cast is gonna be that.

2 minutes ago, GetTheTables said:

I'd always thought Laura would have made Makoto feel redundant.

There are some fucking weird choices. Karin makes twins redundant in SFV since she shares so many moves... but her playstyle and gameplan is entirely different?? Same for Seth and Makoto. Just weird insanity that feels like Capcom spitting in our faces (typical Capcom fan mentality), but they're just innocently paying homage to their old fighters. We stay salty though.

6 minutes ago, KingTubb said:

Damn, homie, I made one Dad joke and you're gonna put me on blast??!!! 

I treat Fuerte like I treat someone with a zombie bite: 

Zero tolerance. You can go out behind the shed or we can do it right here and now but you're getting blasted all the same.

In fairness I may hate him less with a different implementation. 

In non-fairness I'd rather not find out.

23 minutes ago, Volt said:

Judging by how they barely had Dan footage (phone footage even!) when they first announced him, it's likely that they had fuck all ready besides the Dan model (barely) and CoVid further derailed everything.

It's just baffling really. It reeks of amateurish planning. By the time Champion Edition shipped, the focus should be on SF6. If they're still fumbling around with 5, either something went very wrong in 6's development (which may have been just CoVid fuckery) or they realized that they needed something to work as filler until 6 dropped. Could be both.

Regardless of why, the result is looking really bleak because instead of picking a hype fan-favorite to start the final season right, they picked Dan and now they're not only looking bad because of their fumbles, but also because of how the other FG companies are smoking them.

Tekken releases a huge netcode update and a season opener with Kunimitsu.

Capcom: "Uhhhhhh... Here's Dan's Legendary Taunt in V!"

Like bro, this is straight up embarrassing.

It's not even about picking Dan, I'd be cool with him as the last character because it'd be mostly for comedic effect and SF6 hype train would be on track anyway. But picking him first? Dumpster fire.

SFV will be looked at in the FG History books as when Capcom turned into the Knicks of the FGC.

Especially if they fuck up SF6.

I think that people need to take in consideration that SFV getting extra content doesnt necessarily means that they are taking resources from SF6 and its developement neither that SF6 developement is in shambles.

Remember that the whole reason why we are getting the new season is because they are reallocating resources from the CPT into it.

There is this thing that many companies use to meassure performance within both employees and divisions in the company, the KPIs.

One of the most critical points all the divisions have to handle is the budgeting.

It affects them greatly when the budget that is set at the initial part of the fiscal year, is mishandled, be that they requested more than needed, or they mismanaged it and needed more than requested.

This meassurements are usually taken into account to gauge how well the company's growth and in the case of a public traded company like capcom can lead to loses in stock, not to mention that those also reflect on the management, even with an extra special case like covid, they need to justify the budgeting each are had, and why did they spend more or didnt spend it.

Adding new stuff into SFV is rather easier with just an skelletal crew now that the game is feature complete, and in theory, adding new content like characters and certain mechanics should be about modifying what is already within the game to allocate those new options (which is very likely that the new mechanic wouldnt be something wild, since that would actually require more than a basic team that is there to just giving quality of life support)

Also, it doesnt matter where they put Dan, outside the 3 or 4 cats that are fans of him for whatever reason, everyone will feel that he was a wasted slot.

Just remember Decapre.

14 minutes ago, KingTubb said:

Don't forget that Lucia is shoto-adjacent, and some people here say that sagat is a shoto 

But Sagat IS a shoto

The basic skelleton of a shoto is to have an anti air move like the SRK, a projectile game, and a moving foward move.

You can have variations of the formula geared toward what spectrum you want them to be (either get in, be a trade of all spaces, or keep the opponent away).

Sagat and Lucia are just variants of the basic skelleton.

Edited by Hecatom