Stage Select

The MEGASHOCK Saloon Thread 3: Chinder Chagger Edition

1 hour ago, Reticently said:

All of those several-times-a-year trips have a real world monetary value, and are required to be disclosed on his annual financial disclosures under law, which he apparently didn't.   And it isn't like a Supreme Court Justice would just whoopsie-doodle fuck that up because he couldn't understand the requirements.

Apparently I stopped just short of reading this line where Supreme Court Justice's are required to disclose gifts...which makes sense but is also something I did not know.   Well...if it's a law that he needs to disclose that then that's a lot of stuff he's not listing then.   Him not responding to inquiry about it is probably not a good look.

On 4/5/2023 at 11:20 AM, Sonichuman said:

I might take you up on that offer.  My dad LOVES Prince.  So much so that I knew when he died suddenly that he was not ok.  I know a few of the hits here and there from the catalogue but I feel like getting some suggestions would def help out.

I legit shed tears when Prince died. Never thought a celebrity death would affect me like that, but he's been such big influence on me musically that it really did feel like losing a family member in a weird way.

Anyway, onto the records....This might get a little lengthy, so I'll spoiler it

Spoiler

Mainsteam/Obvious choice tier:

------------------------------------------

-Purple Rain-Pretty much a masterpiece from top to bottom

-Around The World In A Day-Imagine a Beatles/Sly & The Family Stone collab and that's this record. Has Raspberry Beret & Pop Life on it

-Diamonds & Pearls -Different band and sound from the 80's stuff, lots of great songs, a few clunkers but over a great record and the first album he had gospel singer Rosie Gaines on who is AMAZING. Standout songs: Title track, Cream, Gett Off, Money Don't Matter 2nite

-1999 -Not quite as good as the others, but still great and worth a listen. Standouts: 1999, Little Red Corvette, Lady Cab Driver, Automatic

Great but not as obvious:

----------------------------------

-Sign O' The Times -A little less of a band thing and more him just experimenting. He does a lot of out there, but great stuff. Even though it's a double album, pretty much everything on it is good with only a couple exceptions, but even then... Standouts: Sign O'The Times, Slow Love, Ballad Of Dorothy Parker, I Could Never Take The Place Of Your Man, Forever In My Life

-The Gold Experience -Had his last (that I remember anyway) big hit, The Most Beautiful Girl In The World on it, but also the legendary Pussy Control lol. It's a mix of funk, rock, hip hop, and everything between. Basically what you think of when you think of Prince. Lots of great songs and he does some great guitar playing on here if you into that. Standouts: Pussy Control, TMBGITW, We March, Eye Hate You, Shy

-Dirty Mind -Basically the album that really started his star rising. It's funky, dirty, catchy, and just a great record. Plus it has a song called "Head" lol Standouts: When You Were Mine, Uptown, Gotta Broken Heart Again, Head

Honorable mentions:

-----------------------------------------------------

-Come -dark, funky, jazzy, and just really deep. Lots of great grooves and an album that doesn't sound like anything else he's done imo. Good to pay attention to or to put on in the background. Standouts: Come, Dark, Race, Solo

-Prince & The Revolution: Live -this is a legendary live show from the Purple Rain tour that was once a bootleg only thing. Imo you really have to hear Prince live to get the full idea of what he was about, and this is a great way to catch a bit of that magic.

Edited by DoctaMario
8 hours ago, Daemos said:

Same and I don't normally cry for celebrity deaths. Prince, MJ, and Robin Williams though felt different.

I didn't cry at MJ's death, but I was emotional. But what hit me hardest was my disgust with the media.

To these people, he was a has-been at best, teflon pedophile at worst. But when he died? A king gone too soon. Outlets talked about his death like they weren't just throwing dirt on his name a little bit ago. Maybe it's just that I was young, but man that was crazy to see.

2 minutes ago, HD-Man said:

I like Mandalorian, Rogue One, and Andor but I kinda feel like Disney is whoring Star Wars out at this point. Seems like everyday they are announcing a new show or movie. Dial it back a bit, oversaturating the market

Idk, Star Wars has been a little whored out since Phantom Menace.  Fuck, since the Christmas special, if you want to go back that far.

I've gotten to the point of only keeping up with the good stuff and pretending the rest doesn't exist.  Can't burn out on the stuff I don't watch.

Plus the original Thrawn books were pure 🔥.  That stuff may all have been cast into the void now as non-canon, but I'm still eager to see where they're going with it now.

11 minutes ago, Reticently said:

Idk, Star Wars has been a little whored out since Phantom Menace.  Fuck, since the Christmas special, if you want to go back that far.

I've gotten to the point of only keeping up with the good stuff and pretending the rest doesn't exist.  Can't burn out on the stuff I don't watch.

As an outsider, it seems like they cancel almost as many projects as they put out anyway.

I heard yet another announcement that someone else is attached to a Star Wars movie, and I rolled my eyes enough that I don't even remember who it is.

2 hours ago, Darc_Requiem said:

For Prince? Easy. Pancakes, basketball, and women related to his wardrobe 😉  I'll have to get back to you on MJ though 😂

Every story about Prince is so fucking outlandish.  He was definitely on another planet.  My favorite story was that skit on Chapelle's show where Prince schooled everybody in basketball ACTUALLY happened IRL.

Edited by J-ride
23 minutes ago, RSG3 said:

They just announced Dave Filoni is getting a movie and that's not exactly eye roll worthy news imo...

I didn't mean it that way; I should have clarified.

They've gone through several people who were supposed to be making a new star wars movie. The latest was Damon Lindelof (sp)? Ergo, every new announcement, I'm like "yeah, uh-huh...". The chances a new movie will actually hit with whoever they announce are in the gutter.

No doubt they WILL make a new Star Wars movie at some point, but it's "I'll believe it when I see it" status now.

Edited by axeman61
47 minutes ago, axeman61 said:

I didn't mean it that way; I should have clarified.

They've gone through several people who were supposed to be making a new star wars movie. The latest was Damon Lindelof (sp)? Ergo, every new announcement, I'm like "yeah, uh-huh...". The chances a new movie will actually hit with whoever they announce are in the gutter.

No doubt they WILL make a new Star Wars movie at some point, but it's "I'll believe it when I see it" status now.

Agreed. Simultaneously, If the press release is still on StarWars.com, then there is still the possibility of it still happening. 

Edited by OPTIMUS124
7 minutes ago, Darc_Requiem said:

Outside of the Filoni movie, I doubt any of those see the light of day. No one wants to direct a Star Wars film. The divided fanbase is only part of it. Kennedy has reputation for butting heads with directors. 

I'm pretty certain that at this point, there is some planned content and story treatment. You by now also know what/who you are working with. 

All I want is for them to throw Boyega an olive branch and get him back as well. 

1 minute ago, OPTIMUS124 said:

I'm pretty certain that at this point, there is some planned content and story treatment. You by now also know what/who you are working with. 

All I want is for them to throw Boyega an olive branch and get him back as well. 

As much as I want them to fix Finn, Boyega said he's not interested.  So they're either going to make that branch extra thick or find someone  else.

12 minutes ago, HD-Man said:

Not a conspiracy theorist but all those crypto founders and now the CashApp guy dying then the feds announcing some new app dealing in money transfer seems a bit suspect to me.

Only thing makes me not question it heavily is that I don't think the government would be THAT obvious 

it should be, the whole point of Crypto was to give a finger to established currency and provide an alt to people without government manipulation. To rebel againt ANYTHING the government does means they will take it down and prop up their own brand making you think it's trust worthy. Consider that since going off the gold standard, our dollars continue to inflate and may as well be US crypto. 

6 minutes ago, TheInfernoman said:

Consider that since going off the gold standard, our dollars continue to inflate and may as well be US crypto.

This is the key point to all of it. Like crypto, the dollar is only valuable because of what we collectively see it as. If other countries went "nah fam, we good" and moved to another currency, there is nothing to back it up. 

3 minutes ago, Reticently said:

The dollar is valuable to US citizens because we have to pay our taxes in dollars.

Globally is a different story, but with every crypto being kind of a shit show I don't see those particularly taking over for the dollar any time soon.

Very true. However, there are conversion tables that could easily handle the tax problem. 

*Sigh* Seeing pictures of my young nieces and nephews for the first time, because I'm not allowed to see them because I'm an athiest? Hopefully when they grow up, they'll rebel against my siblings one day. That made me feel hurt by that from recently finding out why I'm not allowed to be around them. Bittersweet. They take religion way too seriously.

11 hours ago, RSG3 said:

What on earth about Prince or MJ felt normal or relatable? Lol

Micheal Jackson and Prince. Despite their larger than life personalities, talents and life styles. Where always described as down to earth people that were easy to talk to and get along with. By those who met them.

As well as their subject matter in their music. Micheal in particular with hits like "they don't care about is" "man in the mirror" etc.

Edited by BB_Hoody