Stage Select

The MEGASHOCK Saloon Thread 3: Chinder Chagger Edition

5 hours ago, Reiraku said:

Goddamn the Actraiser soundtrack sounds so fucking good when played by a full symphonic orchestra. I picked up the vinyls from the 30th anniversary release and blasted it on the infinity surround. This is what heaven should sound like.

Where did you get it from?  

Also:  Fuck firefox.

Edited by Deadly_Raver

I'd love to see the stats on just how many people still care about the original visual design of characters...and see if it really is the case that fewer people still care or what.  I like characters to remain whatever the established design is.... just like Al Simmons/Spawn, John Stewart Green Lantern and Luke Cage should always be black guys.... or Calvin from Calvin & Hobbes should always be a little blonde-haired white kid, usually with black pants and a red shirt, and Hobbes should always be a tiger, just like Bruce Wayne should always be a billionaire white guy, etc. etc. etc.  When you stray too far outside the original parameters of the design, you've fucked up the depiction of the character, imo.....just like if you get a woman like Lizzo or Roseanne Barr to play Wonder Woman....or if you get an old ass dude like Morgan Freeman to play high-school age Peter Parker in a movie.  Casting decisions like that are so visually off the mark it becomes comical to me.  It is astounding to me that this is apparently becoming a rare opinion on the matter.  Same deal with characters that were always live-action----in my mind, Ralph Kramden should always be a fat white guy, and Dr. Huxtable is always a middle-aged black guy married to a black woman that is a lawyer, Al Bundy is always a white guy that peaked in high school, married to a red-headed white woman named Peggy, etc.

Actraiser---yeah I recorded that shit on cassette wayyy back in the day because I loved it so much.  It was the first video game music that really hit me like that; I never heard a game soundtrack that was on *that* level until that point....the quality was unprecedented, imo.  I still have my favorite tracks even now on CDs and in my mp3 collection..  Actraiser was one of the main reasons I wanted SNES in the first place back then; I first experienced it when my cousin brought his system and games over.

Edited by MillionX
7 hours ago, HD-Man said:

They announced Lance Reddick is playing the live action Wesker. The racism and salt behind it is GLORIOUS 🤣🤣

On one hand, I get people flipping out (outside of actual racism). While Wesker isn't tied to a skin color like, say, Black Panther, flipping his race is unnecessary. It's indicative this series could be in bad hands.

On the other hand, I don't get people flipping out over RESIDENT EVIL LIVE ACTION. That shit has never been good outside of a "so bad it's good" context. Let them try something different, and if it fails, just add it to the big ass pile of failures.

2 hours ago, MillionX said:

Calvin from Calvin & Hobbes should always be a little blonde-haired white kid, usually with black pants and a red shirt, and Hobbes should always be a tiger

Bill Watterson famously fought to get back the rights to the characters Calvin and Hobbes and has refused to ever license them out.  And he stopped drawing the strip in 1995.

So you're unlikely to see any incarnation of them beyond what already exists.  Unless I guess his estate decides to cash in some day.

I can't find the quote, but I think Watterson once remarked on Charles Schulz not owning the rights to the Peanuts characters, "The papers could technically fire him and have some college kids draw the strip.  In fact, judging by the latest strips, maybe they already have."

1 hour ago, axeman61 said:

On one hand, I get people flipping out (outside of actual racism). While Wesker isn't tied to a skin color like, say, Black Panther, flipping his race is unnecessary. It's indicative this series could be in bad hands.

On the other hand, I don't get people flipping out over RESIDENT EVIL LIVE ACTION. That shit has never been good outside of a "so bad it's good" context. Let them try something different, and if it fails, just add it to the big ass pile of failures.

Lance Reddick is a credible actor with range tho. Maybe you could argue his facial features don't resemble Wesker but arguing race on a character who isn't defined by it, nah...Wesker is literally a conniving, megalomaniac clone with a God complex. Like, anybody could play that role, let's not act like Wesker is some deep character either 🤣

For the record I would've went with Anthony Starr if his schedule was clear, but I'm NOT mad at this other choice either

There is near 0 argument anyone can make to justofy race flipping chsracters for me. 

Weaker is white. Knock it off. This is lazy as shit. 

Its also funny to me ( not pointing fingers at anyone) but also frustrating and really sad to see these arguments every time they flip a white person, "Their race isn't intrinsic to the character!" Or other such sentiments but the moment someone breaths the idea of flipping any other skin color to white and it's  racist and ______ Face of some kind other racist shit. 

I'm not saying white people haven't done some seriously fucked up casting in the past because they have, but doing back ain't it imo. 

Edited by RSG3

Black folks can't get roles because of actual ability, it always gotta be "wokeness", affirmative action or some other excuse. Yall ain't even watched the show yet, but screaming foul 🤣

I ain't knocking nothing off, dudes a good actor. Wesker ain't defined by race either, but whatevs go off 🤷🏾‍♂️

Edited by HD-Man
4 minutes ago, HD-Man said:

Black folks can't get roles because of actual ability, it always gotta be "wokeness", affirmative action or some other excuse. Yall ain't even watched the show yet, but screaming foul

Yea I'm gonna call fowl on bad casting. You're welcome to be fine with it, but Weseker is white, and this is bad casting for me. Show may be awesome and this may be something to be able to move past, but it's still bad casting. Weaker isn't black. 

4 minutes ago, HD-Man said:

I ain't knocking nothing off, dudes a good actor. Character ain't defined by race either, but whatevs 🤷🏾‍♂️

Wasn't telling you to knock it off. 

Edited by RSG3

ah yes---that Homelander guy would indeed be the main choice for Wesker imo...if we're going by anyone who is a "name" now.  

...soooo I guess people would be perfectly fine with Tom Cruise playing John Stewart Green Lantern on the big screen in the near future, right? 🤣  Then Seth Rogen as Al Simmons/Spawn and we can get Charles S. Dutton as Cisco Ramon in some new iteration of The Flash.

2 minutes ago, MillionX said:

ah yes---that Homelander guy would indeed be the main choice for Wesker imo...if we're going by anyone who is a "name" now.  

...soooo I guess people would be perfectly fine with Tom Cruise playing John Stewart Green Lantern on the big screen in the near future, right? 🤣  Then Seth Rogen as Al Simmons/Spawn and we can get Charles S. Dutton as Cisco Ramon in some new iteration of The Flash.

Naw see when you do it to black people its black face or some other racial charged motivationt, but when you do it to white people its "Their race isnt important or key to the character and who they are." Its always excuses about how white people don't matter and are replaceable by anyone. 

Edited by RSG3
6 minutes ago, MillionX said:

My knowledge of those characters isn't very extensive (I know a little bit about John Stewart from the JLU cartoon and Static Shock) so idk if I'd be bothered by a race change.

But for arguments sake, if their race isn't a major component of who they are, I'd feel the same way about a race swap. If Marvel decided to cast Wesley Snipes as Shang Chi for example, I'd be right there with yall complaining 🤷🏾‍♂️

9 hours ago, Reiraku said:

Goddamn the Actraiser soundtrack sounds so fucking good when played by a full symphonic orchestra. I picked up the vinyls from the 30th anniversary release and blasted it on the infinity surround. This is what heaven should sound like.

Waaaaaiiiit they have live recordings of that?? I might have to cop that, that's one of my favorite OSTs ever. 

current episode of Hogan Family--- the younger sons are cutting class so they can meet Vanna White at a book signing... ha, I kinda regret never doing the whole "cut class" thing.  I was always too fearful of being caught; I figured it would be just my luck that of all the people that constantly "cut"... I'd be that one chump that actually gets caught somehow....haha one of them impersonated Dad on the phone when the school called the house....he actually did a funny/good impression of the actor that plays their Dad.

But now... one of the dumbest things I've heard in a long time in the news...a local radio show mentioned it this morning so I had to look it up.  This dude won 30k in a lottery, then spent 20k of that on a chain....then gets robbed by your average "Deebo" muthafucka at the gas station:

There's so many stupid things going on here... I can't get over the idea of someone spending that much of their winnings on 1 item... especially some jewelry.... jewelry is just a vanity item that doesn't really do anything.  Imagine all the other things he could've spent 20 grand or less on.

Edit--hahaha and he's fat so there's no way he could've successfully escaped a robbery attempt.

Edited by MillionX

I remember when Idris Elba was cast as Roland Deschain in The Dark Tower. As much as I love that actor ever since Stringer Bell (ironically, I know Lance Reddick as Lt Daniels, too), I couldn't help but wonder how they were going to handle Roland's relationship with Detta. In the Drawing of The Three, she is racist against white men and it explores how Roland changes that. It's a pretty significant theme in the story. So to arbitrarily change Roland's race seemed like a bad move that really fucked with some important plot points.

Turns out they just didn't include Detta in the movie, which is fucking retarded since she's one of the main characters. That movie fucking sucked. 

2 minutes ago, MillionX said:

current episode of Hogan Family--- the younger sons are cutting class so they can meet Vanna White at a book signing... ha, I kinda regret never doing the whole "cut class" thing.  I was always too fearful of being caught; I figured it would be just my luck that of all the people that constantly "cut"... I'd be that one chump that actually gets caught somehow....haha one of them impersonated Dad on the phone when the school called the house....he actually did a funny/good impression of the actor that plays their Dad.

But now... one of the dumbest things I've heard in a long time in the news...a local radio show mentioned it this morning so I had to look it up.  This dude won 30k in a lottery, then spent 20k of that on a chain....then gets robbed by your average "Deebo" muthafucka at the gas station:

There's so many stupid things going on here... I can't get over the idea of someone spending that much of their winnings on 1 item... especially some jewelry.... jewelry is just a vanity item that doesn't really do anything.  Imagine all the other things he could've spent 20 grand or less on.

I saw that shit yesterday, dude won that much and buys a fuckin chain. Could've use that to make good investments then he could buy as many chains as he wanted.

And is anybody knows you don't go around stunting in a bad neighborhood with flashy jewelry on. Nobody should take anything from you, but don't have a juicy steak around your neck for rabid dogs either 🤦🏾‍♂️

McKayla Maroney is looking quite tasty once again in some Geico(? I forgot what it's for already haha) commercial... 

https://www.instagram.com/mckaylamaroney/

She's in her prime at the moment, actually---25 years old.

back on that dude with the 20k chain though--- he could've bought a car for that much or less; if I recall, a Nissan Sentra is about 20k and that's *new*....I was checking recently in case I may be in the market for something new soon.  Still, with only 30k in winnings, I wouldn't spend the majority on one thing like that.

Since the new consoles are such a hassle to get, I'd finally get a serious gaming-oriented pc...and even on the high-end of things, I'd still have quite a bit left over...other than that, there's not much else in terms of material things I'm on the lookout for at the moment....*maybe* some more furniture and another big tv.

*Different Strokes just came on... season 4, episode 1...and Dana Plato is looking quiiiite nice on this one...would've loved seeing those fine pale cheeks in person...

Edited by MillionX
13 hours ago, Dayaan said:

I met many on my last trip to the hospital. The issue was they were all dudes and now I'm questioning:

a) Myself

b) The hospital directors

c) Myself

The last thing you saw as the sedatives began to take effect was THIS.
cosplay_Zeek3.thumb.jpg.ea970eb2e74920cf59080f98ff351330.jpg

The music in your head automatically goes from the oldschool Doctor Who theme to Friday the 13th.

Edited by Deadly_Raver
1 hour ago, TheInfernoman said:

No one is arguing he's a bad actor. IMO he deserves a better role than "race swapped RE villain" because he's good at what he does. 

Apparently Lance did deserve this role cuz he auditioned for it and got it.  I think he's at that point in his career where he can decide what projects he wants to be apart of...... 

And he's quite good, that's why I know he'll be the one carrying this shit show 🤷🏾‍♂️

Edited by HD-Man
11 minutes ago, HD-Man said:

Apparently Lance did deserve this role cuz he auditioned for it and got it.  I think he's at that point in his career where he can decide what projects he wants to be apart of...... 

And he's quite good, that's why I know he'll be the one carrying this shit show 🤷🏾‍♂️

If he auditioned for the role and got it, then I no longer have any complaints.  He joined the line, the powers that be made their decision from those who were available.  If everything is being done on the up and up, then I'm cool.  Do I think it'll take a little away from the actual history of the character?  Yes.  Is it going to kill it?  I doubt it.

8 hours ago, MillionX said:

SNIP

Edit--hahaha and he's fat so there's no way he could've successfully escaped a robbery attempt.

Jesus. If I had 30K and had to waste 20, I'd feel better having spent it in strip clubs than on a fucking chain. Some people just live to be cautionary tales for the rest of us.

14 hours ago, Deadly_Raver said:

Where did you get it from?  

Also:  Fuck firefox.

I got mine from Bigwax. I had ordered it on Best Buy back in March, and they kept pushing the date back. So mid-May, I found out Bigwax had it. Ordered and delivered from France before BB could even figure out when they could ship.

https://bigwax.io/collections/wayo-records/products/actraiser-original-soundtrack-symphonic-suite?_pos=1&_sid=ddd77e4fd&_ss=r

6 minutes ago, DangerousJ said:

Has anyone here ever ordered from a site called rightstufanime?

If so, was it a good experience or not?

Thanks.

I doubt this helps but while I’ve never ordered from their dotcom they’re are always at major anime cons and the service is always good. I dealt with them in person tons of times.

They’re always courteous, down to educate and come prepared to offer packing supplies since a lot of con goers are usually from out of state. I have no complaints overall. 

Edited by iStu X
On 6/11/2021 at 9:35 PM, Darc_Requiem said:

2015 Hyundai Equus, 5.0L V8 429HP 

Nice. I keep flirting with the idea of getting a "new" car, but my 06 Charger R/T is running just fine. 300K miles and still rolling. If I move away from that car, I'm gonna go Charger 392.

14 hours ago, HD-Man said:

But for arguments sake, if their race isn't a major component of who they are, I'd feel the same way about a race swap. If Marvel decided to cast Wesley Snipes as Shang Chi for example, I'd be right there with yall complaining

100% agree. 

Also, Marvel already did a race swap with little to no fanfare. 

649226a906572f4d618c1698cef14365.jpg

Edited by OPTIMUS124
3 hours ago, OPTIMUS124 said:

Nice. I keep flirting with the idea of getting a "new" car, but my 06 Charger R/T is running just fine. 300K miles and still rolling. If I move away from that car, I'm gonna go Charger 392.

100% agree. 

Also, Marvel already did a race swap with little to no fanfare. 

649226a906572f4d618c1698cef14365.jpg

Which movie was that in?

On 6/5/2021 at 5:53 PM, iStu X said:

I really want to replace my tv but I also have no need to replace my tv outside of personal nitpicks. 

I hate it’s OS (smart tv) and how big the remote is considering the only functions I use on it is switching HDMI’s, power and volume. 

Man I thought I was alone.  I don't really use the volume that much on mine, but the power and HDMI buttons have had their symbols rubbed off a long time ago.  Just put those buttons on a keychain remote and we're cool okay?  

Also: In "Oh HELL no" news...................

I could get the scalpel out on this one, but I'm gonna be nice for now.  Gents, have at it.

15 hours ago, Chadouken said:

Screenshot_20210612-144114_Instagram.jpg

Superman was making damned sure that stupid little mouth breather gets the opportunity to reproduce and dilute the next gen gene pool enough that there will be no chance of a future Luthor.

He was not only taking zero chances, he was making an impression, conditioning the kid to not think.

Supes be meta like 'dat.

Edited by JHDK
8 hours ago, RSG3 said:

So what's the trick? You keep saying solve, but at that speed it just sounds like a pattern memorization of some kind to me. 

@DangerousJI had a pretty bad experience with Rightstuf when I ordered from, but that was around 20 years ago (no lie). 

"Solve" just means taking it from a scrambled state to a non-scrambled state, and there are a ton of ways to do that, and you're right that there is some pattern recognition to it.

Instead of solving it side by side (which is nigh impossible without messing up what you've already solved) you solve it by layers. After the first two layers are solved, which is a more intuitive process, you have to place all the tiles of the top side on top, and there are certain algorithms that allow you to do that in one algorithm, as well as others that allow you to arrange all the blocks in the top layer in their correct spots in one go. So the first half of the solve is more intuitive while the second half is more pattern recognition. 

Edited by DoctaMario
30 minutes ago, Chadouken said:

Does it count if you take the stickers off and rearrange them to solve it?

I would count that more as a hack 😂 

Interestingly, this YouTube cuber did a video about that. He solved it by taking the stickers off while he had his daughter solve as many cubes as she could before he finished. She was able to solve about 18 cubes in the time it took him to peel off and replace the stickers lol

If you want to watch it:   

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=noCq3m0pROk

Edited by DoctaMario
5 hours ago, OPTIMUS124 said:

Dr. Strange. 

As a bonus

z53o10cb54s01.jpg

9195ae8b9b73705d8a7aa4a782efee6b.jpg

Okay.  NOW I've gotta do it...............................

WE WUZ ASGARDIANZ AND SHIET!!

This whole thing has been pretty stupid from the start and it just keeps on going despite them losing billions of dollars for it.  Keep on fucking up characters that people like until they don't like them anymore and then wonder why they don't like them.  It isn't just the race swapping, but how they treat the characters, their backstory, the way that they were presented to the fans in past shows and movies  (I direct your attention to the former luke skywalker for reference) and just so much bs added in now a days that doesn't belong.  Not really a problem for me though.  I can keep re-watching my old movies and playing older games.  If the new stuff wants my money, they know what they can do:  Give me something worth buying.

36 minutes ago, Deadly_Raver said:

This whole thing has been pretty stupid from the start and it just keeps on going despite them losing billions of dollars for it. 

They seem to be doing quite alright based on the fact that their market cap has been on the upward trend for the last 20 years. 

It's only a bother when you shoehorn it because reasons (e.g. Calvin Ellis). If the race/culture of the character isn't a defining feature, I think it can be tastefully done. I was pretty surprised that Chiwetel Ejiofor was cast as Baron Mordo. He's honestly one of the villains I am looking forward to seeing because of the actor. If he's not great in that role, kill the MCU.

Lance may not have been my first choice for Wesker, but it's gotta be better than the other live action performance. 

giphy.gif

Edited by OPTIMUS124