Stage Select

The Street Fighter V Thread, vol. 2

1 hour ago, Darc_Requiem said:

Every time I see people remark on the size of Ryu in SF6, I immediately think of how super jacked his Alpha sprite was.

SFA3_Ryu.gif

Edit: I want to know what fantasy land @Sonerovisited that had people defending Alex's shitty SFV model. Probably the same place that thinks Shun'ei has drip. 👀

For me its the proportions, his head is tiny.

Akira isn't buffed and she suffers the same problem in SFV imo

5 hours ago, CESTUS III said:

You sound defensive as if i would disagree, i recognize SF character design is on decline too  

I can offer you many more SFV names beside Akuma if you want lol

Both series (and some others i may add) got weaker, to different levels both in redesigns and new characters

My bad, sometimes it's hard to set tone on text. 🤣

I was just making a comment on how SNK at least maintained a closer style to the originals for their legacy characters.

17 minutes ago, Sonero said:

You don't really need to do much to Alex. As shown already, Alex defenders are all unfashionable bridge dwellers that Queer Eye For The Bottom Tier guy couldn't make dress well.

SF3 Alex was one of best design of his game (would say Alex, Dudley, Yun and Ibuki) though, SFV one is possibly THE worst redesign of the game. No easy feat

21 minutes ago, Sonero said:

Guile's and Poison's new defaults are hella good though. Although Guile's outfit has more to it if you've been around the military. Dude sleeved up his dress uniform all the way up like a savage. Man is about throwing hands. Poison's SF4 outfit didn't have a lot to it either.

Guile one as simple he was, still used to be one of the most iconic characters and had pretty definited imagery and colors, they throw all that away to drop on him a generic look that feels like an alt costume (would have been good at that) rather than a redesign... kinda betray the original design spirit, rather than a tough af old dog ready to fuck up people on the battlefield with bullets flying above his head, seems a pissed guy that just left office to throw hands

Think tactical SF4 one (or similar CPT SFV one) is more the natural evolution of original design

Poison is just bit a mess. Aside change of hair (prefer previous, but no big deal) they added bunch of stuff (black parts), without improving anything much but making the figure just more confuse. On other side was just effective, took SF3 look and improved it without moving much away from it.

I have to admit though that change of weapon in SFV has been huge improvement

40 minutes ago, Sonero said:

Cammy has a pretty ionic outfit. There isn't a lot you can do it without really ruining the whole look. Cammy's look is too much like Ryu. She has a certain look and it isn't one that you can mess around with too much. You can give cammy other outfits and its fine, but her OG set is locked in with quality.

I agree that IF they wanted redesign Cammy (not something i asked for) they should have gone for a drastic change

Problem is one we got is SF2 Cammy without some characteristic elements (face scar, Delta Red triangle, camo legs) that helped enrich her image and color scheme, while in return we got only bunch black belts that yes, help bit the color scheme (they link with boots), but ultimately don't compensate much what she lost leaving her with lost of flat surfaces

Guess to link with black they could still have added the belts (maybe just torso ones) to original SF2 Cammy, but not removing what was there

Also SF4 had the good idea of give her that dark green that remind lot SF2tAM and made interesting contrast with her skin, SFV fucked it up with shitty very saturated bright  green that stand there as one more proof somebody in SFV team is color blind

56 minutes ago, Sonero said:

Falke needed some pants. That one is mad weird.

Well, did'nt mentioned her because she's not a redesign, but if we are at it she's possibly the weakest new design (if we ignore Kage as everybody should lol)

When not even be a waifu leave a mark, that's next level weak (on her defense we may say she was designed to be functional to Ed design, but still)

But would say she's bit an exception, as i think large majority of SFV newcomers were within various shades from good to very very good... specially if we count that Falke is'nt a BAD design (some redesigns are way worse), she's just a weak af design that end up being extremely forgettable despite trying hard on sexy nazi stripper waifu gimmicks lol

If we go on newcomers design (not story, that in some cases was weak af) SFV ratio is indeed positive

Very good: Zeku, Menat, Necalli, Kolin

Good: Rashid, G, Luke

Decent: Laura, Fang, Ed

Weak: Falke

Kage: Peter the brazilian cop, Kage

Imho does'nt reach the highest level of chara design touched by some SF4 newcomers (underrated work for many reasons), but it gave us LOT of new characters with average good quality

3 hours ago, Sonero said:

Female Seth was a great idea though. Out there confusing young men and putting rule 34 people in the blender of blenders.

Female Seth is female Seth, hard to rate as redesign mostly because it's basically a new design

Would say that concept/anime SF4 Seth (one with clothes) > SFV Seth > SF4 ingame shitty naked Seth, but on reality would be kinda pointless, are just straight different things

I could have done without and give that slot to some other returning char, but that's me lol

3 hours ago, Sonero said:

Because if even characters whom they updated a little bit, like say Karin, still look like themselves. Sakura could've probably done with an outfit that better matched her old colors. Going from the school outfit with blue and white to a black dress was a bit too much I think.

Yeah, if you see i recognized they did neutral but good job with Karin/Sakura, as they were forced to change them due time jump and somehow made decent job

Being totally honest i feel if target was reach the original designs they did'nt fully made it, but they got close enough to make me think was unfair drop them on downgrade

On Sakura color scheme i agree and she even have a color (#3) that clearly use the old scheme, but they intentionally dodged it as standard color option, guess reason being change the color scheme better help show the character entered a different phase of her life... and unlike for Guile, i think they may have done a good choice in her case because make more clear have nothing to do with her old schoolgirl uniform

What surprised me is that they did gone as bold with Karin (both as lines, theme and colors) who as concept could have gone much more far from her original self, but guess since she was played as heavy fanservice/hype card, they did'nt wanted move too far from what her fans waited for decades

Her not having bit more mature new style made even more awkward see her declare herself the GI-joe leader of SF vets (and them accepting it, but that's the legitimacy a GI-joe style SF adventure deserve), but guess her fans passed every second of these moments jizzing on their screens, so i guess at least somebody got his happy ending

Did'nt found neither great but at least they did'nt fallen too far from the target, so as said keept them on neutral job ones wich by itself has been a bit an achievement

3 hours ago, Mr.Cipher said:

Didn't realise how bad the taste of some people are here.

Whats next, wanna say Blanka is a good looking guy.

To be fair, Blanka is the second prettiest green-themed, electric Brazilian I've ever seen.

Sure, there are only two people in that category, and Laura is first by a colossal margin, but second place is still pretty close to first.

1 hour ago, Volt said:

My bad, sometimes it's hard to set tone on text. 🤣

I was just making a comment on how SNK at least maintained a closer style to the originals for their legacy characters.

Yeah, that's true KoF have different approach when it comes to redesigns and i think on general it give them indeed a lower % of "very bad" ones next to SFV(using it as the first SF that put lot effort on redesigns)

KoF ever had that endless wave of small changes that give the feel that nothing truly change (it does, but you have less shock), SF showed to be more like static af for a while then drop big changes (with various results)

I mean, they can still take something glorious as Tizoc was and turn it into dinosaur crap, but it's rare outcome... overall they tend to hit slighty above or slighty below the previous incarnation of the char

Would also add that to be fair they often struggle too when it comes to beat the original, but definitely redesigns are'nt their main chara design weakness

1 hour ago, Sonero said:

Should've given Poison  beard.

May have saved Ryu from NeoGaf/Eventhubs people, but SF6 teaser at this point is a thing

A couple of things to say here, Blanka is a fairly handsome creature, now his select screen in SF2 was atrocious. Dhalsim is the cutest thing ever idk why Capcom made him out to be ugly, literally adorable. Poison does not need a beard bc her booty makes up for everything. Falke needs to get beaten with that staff of hers, literally a deplorable character. I no longer have a problem with Wide Ryu, but I do have a problem with his beard and those sandals he clearly stole from Akuma. Next thing you know he's no longer homeless and has a child on the way. This bearded menace needs to be stopped immediately, his Satsui no Hado is clearly taking over. Seth is a bad bitch, end of story. 

Edited by sKreetFighteZ

No one brings up Cody.   I really liked his redesign.  The 1930s chain-gang jailbird thing was just boring so I probably would've been happy with literally anything else, but I'm also glad they moved his story forward to after serving his time.  I also liked the addition of his tornado projectile from his old 8-bit game as it's fresh without seeming out of character or change just for the sake of change.

Sakura needed a big change.  The schoolgirl thing is both tired and kinda skeevy, and I like how both she and Karin are wearing something that people would actually wear.  Also: no more bike shorts.    It was brought up how Karin is basically fully clothed given the leotards, so she's cutesy but classy at the same time.  Well done. 

1 hour ago, CESTUS III said:

I agree that IF they wanted redesign Cammy (not something i asked for) they should have gone for a drastic change

Am I alone in hating Cammy's "iconic" outfit?   It's a one-piece bathing suit for horndogs to ogle at.   Give the girl some sensible clothes ffs. 

Female Seth is just dumb.   SFIV Seth was dumb.  Characters whose identity is "use other characters moves" is dumb.  

And I legit can't tell that Poison got any redesign at all.  I even forgot about the riding crop, since she just swings it like a shorter whip. 

On the subject of Shun'ei I think he was poorly executed but his design isnt random, its based off the chinese subculture of fei zhu liu. IIRC SNK knew they wanted to make the new protag Chinese to appeal to their then-new Chinese overlords and went with "trendy looking" over "classic chinese". Point is it was never a design meant to appeal to the world at large and sure enough....it didnt lol

I just hope for more consistentcy across the board in SFVI. Alex has a great character model but a bad design, Ken has a bad character model but a really good design. Then you have some characters that look great in certain costumes but absolutely low-budget awful in others (Juri), some that looks like they have body parts that were never meant to be exposed (Kolin's neck). And don't even get me started on some of the animations – it's baffling that Hooligan Throw and Cammy's air throw are moves from the same character, because one of those looks fantastic and the other really does not.

So yeah, I hope there's some dude or dudette sitting there, overseeing development and looking at Cammy air throws or Cody V-Trigger normal throws and goes "nope!" until everything looks polished.

9 hours ago, Pair of Rooks said:

No one brings up Cody.   I really liked his redesign.  The 1930s chain-gang jailbird thing was just boring so I probably would've been happy with literally anything else, but I'm also glad they moved his story forward to after serving his time.

I mentioned it, in the improvement group "Cody - very good even if have design problems"

The concept itself is cool and the idea to make him new major making Metro City as some sort of family company is pure genius, specially because put also th jail time in perspective too lol

I think it have some character design problems on technical level, like patterns and color scheme choice generating bit of confusion or at least not being much done in the classic SF way, dude have bunch of parts that visually don't link with each other much nor play on repetition

-warning, boring design analysis-

001.png?h=9a861c30dae3ff24a99983f903cd95c3

Hard to explain as it goes bit more technical on how you build a character design that follow a scheme, but short version is when you take single elements seems like they designed him without usual "harmony" and link between parts

Easy examples could be that instead black they could have gave him brown shoes to link with gilet brown leather parts, or creating metal parts (belt buckle and watch case) they could have picked either gold or steel (probably latter better as is more neutral and even link with knife) for both, instead done one steel one golden

Also have bunch of visually close but different colors with gilet purple-blue and pants blue is kinda strange choice, wich get worse reaching shoes that add one more dark close-but-different color

Also very thin subtle lines patterns shirt choice seems bit unusual next to SF classic way of favor bigger more clean elements that are easier to read, exaple the idea of have a shirt with azure and "white" pattern is nice if done to call back mind previous prisoner uniform and on general Cody colors (likely), but would have truly done that job with thicker, same width azure & white vertical lines, wich could have been still compatible with a business shirt

Instead they gave it same pattern of pants with different colors, wich is'nt how they usually use the repetition

Again is not easy to explain if one does'nt start from a design scheme/patterns perspective, specially if the design itself is perceived as "cool" and so it get people's approvation despite being "wrong" (if we want use this word) on technical/design level... and get even harder when you have to explain people on other hand, something UGLY af as SFV Birdie actually got a pretty solid fundamentals design

People are inclined to defend what they perceive as "good/cool" and attack what they dislike and see as ugly, even if technically solid and was the intentional point of it

SF is filled by designs that are either overrated or underrated based on people's perception rather than design quality itself (wich can easily lead to the argument of SF being a product and so people-who-pay perception is most important thing, but this is another story lol)

Am I alone in hating Cammy's "iconic" outfit?   It's a one-piece bathing suit for horndogs to ogle at.   Give the girl some sensible clothes ffs.

I don't care about it being "sensible" tbh, i find original SF2 Cammy (and even more dark green one of SF2tAM) to be awesome on so many levels, but i'm just jumping out from Cody's analysis above, so i will stick to "awesome on many levels" (some of wich have been fucked up in SFV's apparently soft but actually huge redesign) lol

Not saying it was'nt thirsty fanservice too (as vast majority of FG girls), but i have no problems with it and btwmost important was thirsty fanservice done right, without sacrify character design in any way (somewhere as we speak SC Ivy is crying)

AND had the merit to be designed around Chun Li's design to work as complementary figure next to her... fun thing decades after SF4 Juri, wich i consider one of the very best designs of post-SF3 era SF, i think had to thanks same method as feels strongly designed to fit as third figure next to Chun and Cammy, managing to become instant iconic next to characters that have decades of history

Female Seth is just dumb.   SFIV Seth was dumb.  Characters whose identity is "use other characters moves" is dumb. 

Not a fan of either, but the concept SF4 Seth with clothes we never got was good.

These cyborgs ever been in SFimagery since SF2tAM days (and maybe before, would have to check release of some SF2 mangas), and the idea of one evolving above others and developing personality could have been even great if handled correctly.

They could have picked the elegant concept and built his image around his obsession of wanting hard to be human, maybe building up a stage heavy based on art, culture and other shit to show how he's crazy and delusional on deny his own nature

Instead they made him express his reject of be seen/considered as a lab freak piece of shit cyborg, by fighting like a naked piece of shit cyborg in a shitty crumbling scifi lab

But that's lead us to how SF handle characters(specially new ones), and if SF cast could read this post we woud get dozen of #metoo lmao

Edited by CESTUS III

SFV Seth took that "identity" and turned it into something incredibly inspired and compelling. Seth was already probably the most interesting and developed character in SF4, and his emergence in SF5 in a female body was very "ear to the ground" of Capcom. I hope we get to see more of him.

8 hours ago, DoctaMario said:

I've always been interested in that game, looks like it'll be a good time to snap it up. The demo was fun.

The game is fun and has a nice combo system.

The chars are interesting gameplaywise and character design wise (not all, but a good chunk).

Its only real problem is that is clearly a low boudget game in terms of animation and part of its presentation, which is understandable since the game was made by a really small studio, it was their first game and was actually developed for PS3 before it was moved into the PS4 due all the delays it got

BTW, one of the devs used to post a lot of FGD on SRK back in the day.

He said that the game was inspired by KOF, MK3 and GG

My fav char on the game is Vladislav III aka Dracula.

His moveset is really nice

Edit

BTW, the netcode is GGPO, for those wondering about it.

Also, it seems that the game is at least partly a revision from the original PS4 version, since is a new publisher, so far it seems that adds new content for the 1p stuff (story mode, arcade), dunno about balance yet.

Edited by Hecatom
12 hours ago, Hecatom said:

The game is fun and has a nice combo system.

The chars are interesting gameplaywise and character design wise (not all, but a good chunk).

Its only real problem is that is clearly a low boudget game in terms of animation and part of its presentation, which is understandable since the game was made by a really small studio, it was their first game and was actually developed for PS3 before it was moved into the PS4 due all the delays it got

BTW, one of the devs used to post a lot of FGD on SRK back in the day.

He said that the game was inspired by KOF, MK3 and GG

My fav char on the game is Vladislav III aka Dracula.

His moveset is really nice

Edit

BTW, the netcode is GGPO, for those wondering about it.

Also, it seems that the game is at least partly a revision from the original PS4 version, since is a new publisher, so far it seems that adds new content for the 1p stuff (story mode, arcade), dunno about balance yet.

I played the demo of it and thought it was cool, especially because horror themed fighters are in short supply. Was never enough to get me to pull the trigger, but it being on Switch with some more 1p content would be enough. It was a fun game, but I agree with you, there was a slight lack of polish that comes with it being made by a small studio. Will be interesting to see what changes in this new version.

My collector's edition of Elden Ring has finally arrived.

I basically never buy collectors because I don't give a shit about overpriced statues and such, but: a) This time it was a chick's statue instead of some knight dude statue so I was more open to it, and b) After Sekiro, a game I initially had no interest about and that I ended up loving, I accepted that FromSoftware owns my soul and should give in and buy a fancy edition of something for once.

Let's see if Big Dark Souls is any good.

It's supposedly taking the ideas of Dark Souls 2 and actually executing them well, and I'm a huge DS2 apologist, so that sounds good.

FMcu0FOWYAAiKSw?format=jpg&name=medium

3 hours ago, Phantom_Miria said:

My collector's edition of Elden Ring has finally arrived.

I basically never buy collectors because I don't give a shit about overpriced statues and such, but: a) This time it was a chick's statue instead of some knight dude statue so I was more open to it, and b) After Sekiro, a game I initially had no interest about and that I ended up loving, I accepted that FromSoftware owns my soul and should give in and buy a fancy edition of something for once.

Let's see if Big Dark Souls is any good.

It's supposedly taking the ideas of Dark Souls 2 and actually executing them well, and I'm a huge DS2 apologist, so that sounds good.

FMcu0FOWYAAiKSw?format=jpg&name=medium

I just bought it as well (not the fancy edition) and I hope the PvP will be a bit more balanced this time around, as in, not just one or two viable builds.