Stage Select

The Street Fighter V Thread, vol. 2

So someone correct me if I’m wrong, but isn’t have a block button and back to block the worst of both worlds? 

You can’t have crossups because of the block button but you also can’t catch someone moving backwards without a deliberate block because it will OS into blocking like normal games. 

Is that what’s it’s like in Granblue? 

2 hours ago, Vhozite said:

You can’t have crossups because of the block button but you also can’t catch someone moving backwards without a deliberate block because it will OS into blocking like normal games. 

Could you explain what you think the input for this would be?

I'll try and test out if it works like that.

3 hours ago, Vhozite said:

So someone correct me if I’m wrong, but isn’t have a block button and back to block the worst of both worlds? 

Is that what’s it’s like in Granblue? 

Lows on walk backs?

My biggest issue with realism in game design is that it looks really good until it doesn’t. A lot of times if you look at those games years after release the age really poorly because it just looks like a bad rendition of real life instead of art, and they also get life behind technologically and probably don’t even look realistic anymore. MKX is a great FG example but it’s also easily noticeable in sports games too.

I will say I do like MKs character designs, but that doesn’t really have to do anything with realism. I’d still like them if they were in a game that looked like SFV or Strive.

1 hour ago, Vhozite said:

My biggest issue with realism in game design is that it looks really good until it doesn’t.

This is a good point, and not only for technological improvement aspects but also, if an animation looks out of place, it really looks out of place.

I do like how animated games can make moves look more impactful by bending the rules of physics a bit.

To me, there is a certain charm (or maybe connection) I feel with the characters when they look somewhat real though.

I will say I do like MKs character designs, but that doesn’t really have to do anything with realism. I’d still like them if they were in a game that looked like SFV or Strive.

Yeah, I love MK designs too and despite what I said, I’d love to see them make an animated game. I read a lot of the classic MK comics growing up and have always really wanted to see a game in that style… Though, what I’ve always had in my head wouldn’t really be like a typical fighting game, it was a lot more of an interactive movie of sorts

Spoiler

spacer.png

Edited by Mattatsu
4 hours ago, Mattatsu said:

This game is silly man…

I hope I get another chance to play it today but my day is stacked.

I just read that it launches in the summer.

I like the art style but the game looks pretty kusoge in terms of the gameplay. Every clip I see of it has some kind of goofy/dumb stuff going on. 

EDIT: I mean kusoge not doujin

Edited by DoctaMario
On 12/18/2021 at 8:31 AM, Mattatsu said:

I’ve mostly preferred realism over anime/cartoon aesthetics. 

I just want to be able to see my frames from picture to picture. I hate the motion blurry nonsense, but MK11 has some of the best character models I've ever seen. I just hate the way they (and SFV) handles it.

2 hours ago, Mattatsu said:

To me, there is a certain charm (or maybe connection) I feel with the characters when they look somewhat real though.

Tekken 7 got the "realistic" angle right imo.

The problem is that it's getting increasingly harder for games to find their own artstyle niche.

ArcSys is unfuckwithable when it comes to anime aesthetics right now, it's insane.

1 hour ago, DoctaMario said:

I like the art style but the game looks pretty doujin in terms of the gameplay. Every clip I see of it has some kind of goofy/dumb stuff going on. 

This is actually pretty similar to how I’ve been feeling watching clips of it. It doesn’t look bad or anything, but every thing I see feels like “LOOK AT THIS CRAZY BIG COMBO SUPER FLASHY SETUP SKY LASER SUPER CANCEL AEGIS REFLECTOR!”

Idk it’s starting to feel like every new FG needs to be super aggro high speed flashy gameplay and I’m starting to get kinda tired of it. It would be nice if something new could be simpler and slower paced for once. 

1 hour ago, DoctaMario said:

I like the art style but the game looks pretty doujin in terms of the gameplay.

Spike_Lee_smh_Knicks.gif

This man deadass said Doujin like bitches are out there doing ahegao faces mid combo. 🤣

19 minutes ago, Vhozite said:

This is actually pretty similar to how I’ve been feeling watching clips of it. It doesn’t look bad or anything, but every thing I see feels like “LOOK AT THIS CRAZY BIG COMBO SUPER FLASHY SETUP SKY LASER SUPER CANCEL AEGIS REFLECTOR!”

Idk it’s starting to feel like every new FG needs to be super aggro high speed flashy gameplay and I’m starting to get kinda tired of it. It would be nice if something new could be simpler and slower paced for once. 

Hmmmmm, I see, I see, let's take a closer look.
855288824757878784.png?size=128

20 minutes ago, Vhozite said:

I’ve been feeling watching clips of it.

My guy, that's the problem.

You think people are going to be uploading slow ST-like neutral clips in a 1st Beta with no training mode? People out there going IN. It's way too early to try and predict how things will be, but this does look like a crazier game on every end. Not just rushdown.

And besides, clips are hardly a true picture of how games are like. If we judged games by clips, we'd be out here thinking Alex is good in SFV.

Heca uploaded a ton of match videos he got on the DNF thread, check them out.

34 minutes ago, Vhozite said:

Lol, I was playing MK2 quite a bit a few weeks ago and have since been wondering if every game really needs all these mechanics, even meter. It feels like every FG has had meter since ST, and I’m even really sure I like it as a mechanic.

edit: I’m saying a lot of crazy shit lately. Just ignore me, lol

Edited by Mattatsu
37 minutes ago, Volt said:

Spike_Lee_smh_Knicks.gif

This man deadass said Doujin like bitches are out there doing ahegao faces mid combo. 🤣

Pardon, wrong word. The word I meant to use was KUSOGE. Or poverty, whichever you prefer. This game looks like trash in terms of its gameplay, like Power Rangers or some mid 90s SNK crap that had infinites and dumb busted shit out the wazoo. Hopefully they fix stuff because in it's current state, this game looks like junk nobody will be playing a year from now. 

And you have the most brittle spirit getting butthurt anytime anyone in here criticizes it. Lol. 

Agreed. And imo it's boring if the game itself forces you to play that way in order to not catch Ls all the time. 

Edited by DoctaMario

Huh? For like the past half decade the trend has been toward simplifying and slowing things down lol

Dbfz was a "simple" take on 3v3 that started slow

Granblue was like designed to be THE simple slow game 

Strive is the simple stripped down version of gg

The new melty vastly simplified compared to its last version...

1 minute ago, Pair of Rooks said:

My hopes for SF6, basically.

Slow down, I don't wanna risk a heart attack just to push buttons.

I was talking about this with @Mr.Cipheron Discord.

SF6 can float itself to relevance because of brand and the lack of competition in its niche. But Capcom really gotta do it right and I honestly don't trust that dumpster fire of a FG Division.

2 hours ago, Volt said:

Tekken 7 got the "realistic" angle right imo

Nah, disagree.  You can juggle peeps almost endlessly by jabbing their ankles. Those physics with those graphics have always made Tekken looking like it has an identity crisis since 1 released in arcades.  Then when you add farting bears and wooden puppets, well, wrap it up it's a cartoon.

12 minutes ago, Shahenzan said:

Huh? For like the past half decade the trend has been toward simplifying and slowing things down lol

Dbfz was a "simple" take on 3v3 that started slow

Granblue was like designed to be THE simple slow game 

Strive is the simple stripped down version of gg

The new melty vastly simplified compared to its last version...

Well, simplifying, but not slowing down.  Grubble still looks like turbo mode next to SF2. 

Shit, at least slow it down at lower ranks while we're trying to learn our 10-strings.