Stage Select

Anime and Manga Thread: Isekai must Die edition

Read vol. 4 of One-Punch Man and it was bonkers! I'm glad the series has gotten around to explaining where the monsters are coming from. Cannot wait to see some of these fights animated.  It hurt seeing Suiryu take a beating but it sounds like he may become a hero, which is awesome because I wanna see more of him.

Started watching Mob Psycho 100 a while back. Already picked up vols. 1-5 of the manga despite only watching 4 episodes.

Forgot to post this when it first came up, but I saw this trailer and remembered a discussion I had with someone about Suzuka years ago: these slice of life romcoms always have clearly better choices for the male protag to go with yet they always pick the most toxic relationship possible.  You can apply that with Uzaki-chan too who makes wild assumptions about the boy she likes but hasn't seen in a while.  

On 2/3/2021 at 12:39 PM, Psychoblue said:

Forgot to post this when it first came up, but I saw this trailer and remembered a discussion I had with someone about Suzuka years ago: these slice of life romcoms always have clearly better choices for the male protag to go with yet they always pick the most toxic relationship possible.  You can apply that with Uzaki-chan too who makes wild assumptions about the boy she likes but hasn't seen in a while.  

The best way to get a man to fall for him is to develop Stockum syndrome in them. 

On 1/7/2021 at 9:55 AM, Psychoblue said:

It still blows my mind that these three pages are not just the same artist, but the same character.  Dude must have had a midlife crisis during production.

Too bad it was the first iteration that got the anime deal.  Maybe some day it'll get a proper adaptation that isn't more known for being mad sus than being actually good.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Yup. Dude evolved a lot his style. He even threw in a Castlevania reference in one of the chapters

FCGWz2u.png

I wonder what other stuff is he working on. He could have expanded the story, the other years left of high school, etc.

Edited by AriesWarlock
10 minutes ago, AriesWarlock said:

Yup. Dude evolved a lot his style. He even threw in a Castlevania reference in one of the chapters

FCGWz2u.png

I wonder what other stuff is he working on. He could have expanded the story, the other years left of high school, etc.

I don't have many anime adaptation wishes left, but a Brotherhood style remake of R+V with the style and plotlines of everything that happened after the summer vacation, or even start off with the Siren arc, is high on that wishlist.  Maybe then Tsukune and Moka would finally get the SJ game spot.  I mean, dang, they even got Love Ru in there.  

So I'm continuing my naruto binge watch along with rewatching bleach. Because my brain Def forgot how much I loved bleach. 

Buttt man these two Shonen have such a fucked up society. 

Naruto: father saved the ninja world and his kid ends up on a halfway house. Poor as fuck. Constantly hungry. Ramen is the govt cheese of the village. And he constantly can't afford it so the ramen shop gives him free food. 

Bleach:.... They literally killed God. Shinegami fucking killed God and made the world out of his body because they they thought every one was too happy. It gets realll existential near the middle to end of the manga. Dark as fuck. 

Yeah, the only reason you can't throw One Piece in that wheel house is the bigger chunks of the main backstory and how society works are still untold, except the idea of a society ruled by an elite group of entitled fucks who have moving side walks literally powered by slaves beneath the surface of the ground and they have the right to literally abduct or kill folk they meet on the street if they want and no one will stop them.

Edit: Wait now that I think about it most manga societies in the more successful ones are fucked up or get fucked up before the end.

Edited by Wellman

148751108_2919302145061209_2659570637631

On 2/9/2021 at 12:42 PM, Maxx said:

So I'm continuing my naruto binge watch along with rewatching bleach. Because my brain Def forgot how much I loved bleach. 

Buttt man these two Shonen have such a fucked up society. 

Naruto: father saved the ninja world and his kid ends up on a halfway house. Poor as fuck. Constantly hungry. Ramen is the govt cheese of the village. And he constantly can't afford it so the ramen shop gives him free food. 

Bleach:.... They literally killed God. Shinegami fucking killed God and made the world out of his body because they they thought every one was too happy. It gets realll existential near the middle to end of the manga. Dark as fuck. 

Yup. I did find strange. Why does Naruto live by himself as a kid where he should have been in a loftier position? Even if people couldn't help but dislike jinchuriki, the third hokage should have protected him like Raikage did with Killer Bee.

I take it you are talking about the Soul King. I don't fully get what was up with that. There's a novel who explains a bit more about him. He was born in a world overran by hollows. To protect its inhabitants, he started killing the hollows. Being the source of Quincy powers, killing hollows destabilized the world, the balance of life and death.  Some beings older than him imprisoned him, but apparently the Soul King did not put up any kind of resistance 🤷‍♂️

On 2/9/2021 at 4:02 PM, Wellman said:

Yeah, the only reason you can't throw One Piece in that wheel house is the bigger chunks of the main backstory and how society works are still untold, except the idea of a society ruled by an elite group of entitled fucks who have moving side walks literally powered by slaves beneath the surface of the ground and they have the right to literally abduct or kill folk they meet on the street if they want and no one will stop them.

Edit: Wait now that I think about it most manga societies in the more successful ones are fucked up or get fucked up before the end.

I think the biggest difference in one piece is everyone is very self aware of how fucked up the govt is. Literally luffys dad is out trying to take the govt down for their fuckery

They understand the elite is fucked.. The govt is fucked.. Even marines in the govt won't listen to the others if it's too fucked up. Over time you see different people opening their eyes. 

5 hours ago, AriesWarlock said:

148751108_2919302145061209_2659570637631

Yup. I did find strange. Why does Naruto live by himself as a kid where he should have been in a loftier position? Even if people couldn't help but dislike jinchuriki, the third hokage should have protected him like Raikage did with Killer Bee.

I take it you are talking about the Soul King. I don't fully get what was up with that. There's a novel who explains a bit more about him. He was born in a world overran by hollows. To protect its inhabitants, he started killing the hollows. Being the source of Quincy powers, killing hollows destabilized the world, the balance of life and death.  Some beings older than him imprisoned him, but apparently the Soul King did not put up any kind of resistance 🤷‍♂️

I started bleach Manga when I was in hs and the anime came out in 05? And I never noticed so much fuckery. Like imagine dying and getting to heaven and you found out you end up in poverty? Or worse in fucking Hueco Mundo. Like why is their a fucking class system in heaven. The whole soul society arc is an exercise in aizen testing the system to see how much will you take when the system is wrong. Rukia is sentenced to death 30... 8...1 day. They all knew something was wrong but most just accepted it. 

The series questioned alot of aspects of society and I'm seeing this 10-15 years later and I'm sorry I didn't realize how deep kubo was and the questions he was asking. 

On 2/2/2021 at 4:00 PM, Hawkingbird said:

I been watching Wonder Egg Priority. The animation and production values on this one are near film quality. It's so amazing just to look at. It was weird at first but I got the gist of it by the end.

I don't trust Ai's councilor. I feel that guy is involved somehow.  

See i think he is innocent ai said she turned on koito herself so..

Plus she friends with his niece..

Jujutsu kaisen and black clover hitting on another level

Edited by DrLariat
17 minutes ago, DrLariat said:

See i think he is innocent ai said she turned on koito herself so..

Plus she friends with his niece..

Jujutsu kaisen and black clover hitting on another level

I don't trust Ai's feelings of betrayal. It sounds like she did nothing during a important moment like how she fucked up recording Koito being assaulted. 

She didn't know Momoe was related to the councilor until the current episode. The guy definitely has a role in the suicide. 

While fighting off the last leg of the COVID Vaccine Haze (c) I binged Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress.  

It's like Paul WS Anderson wanted to make an anime about the Resi films but couldn't use Resi or Milla, and this is what came out of it.  That's also why I binged through it so quick, I wanted to do as little thinking as possible and there definitely wasn't much of that going around.  The martial artist/swordsman zombies were explained with one line and then it was never brought up again because who cares, zombies and trains and ninja waifus!  I actually popped when Ikoma came out with a steampunk Mega Buster arm.  

Cowboy Bebop, Ghost in the Shell, G Gundam, and Hokuto no Ken are my favorites. I always thought that the lyrics of this song contains alot of weight to carry from an individual through out their lives, which that aspect made it a favorite. Ironically, the feeling of that "weight to carry" is what gave me inspiration to be open to bands like the old Linkin Park over 20 years ago, due to those who identify with depression and anxiety. 

The new anime I like and wish to continue is food wars, because I have an interest for culinary arts. 

1 hour ago, TheInfernoman said:

the VTubers that crack the Latin American countries and cater to them can score big in viewers as those locations are growing fast. It's a fascinating thing to follow. 

The Waktor Vtubers are gaining traction.

They were quite small before going for the latin american crowd.

Miu, the one i posted, had like 100k or 20k subs at most iirc, before posting the video presenting herself in spanish.

In a month she went from that to over 80k, by the time she was going to celebrate hitting 80k, she hit 100k lol.

They were the 2nd bunch of vtubers i discovered via adds after Azki, like 2 years ago.

I have the theory that they went after latin america after Mimi, another vtuber gained a lot of followers when the brazilians discovered her, she went from 5k to 100k in some months.

Edited by Hecatom
On 3/17/2021 at 9:13 PM, Hecatom said:

The Waktor Vtubers are gaining traction.

They were quite small before going for the latin american crowd.

Miu, the one i posted, had like 100k or 20k subs at most iirc, before posting the video presenting herself in spanish.

In a month she went from that to over 80k, by the time she was going to celebrate hitting 80k, she hit 100k lol.

They were the 2nd bunch of vtubers i discovered via adds after Azki, like 2 years ago.

I have the theory that they went after latin america after Mimi, another vtuber gained a lot of followers when the brazilians discovered her, she went from 5k to 100k in some months.

Speaking of AZKI, she has a 72hr Vtuber MV showcase starting in under an hour. 

Last time she did this back in December i thought it was already kinda nuts at 42hrs, but now its 72hrs lol. 

Some of the live segments were lit as fuck doe.

I found it really good for discovering and getting exposed to some you might not have found otherwise. 

Edited by beesuit
1 hour ago, beesuit said:

Speaking of AZKI, she has a 72hr Vtuber MV showcase starting in under an hour. 

Last time she did this back in December i thought it was already kinda nuts at 42hrs, but now its 72hrs lol. 

Some of the live segments were lit as fuck doe.

I found it really good for discovering and getting exposed to some you might not have found otherwise. 

And speaking of her, i do appreciate that Hololive improved her model, i liked her 2 old ones, but they were showing their age, specially compared to the other Hololive girls.

(And yes, i know she is in a grey area of being a Hololive girl, lol)

Edited by Hecatom
19 minutes ago, Hecatom said:

And speaking of her, i do appreciate that Hololive improved her model, i liked her thow old ones, but they were showing their age, specially compared to the other Hololive girls.

(And yes, i know she is in a grey area of being a Hololive girl, lol)

AZKI  new model went full kawaii idol and ditched the whole cool diva angle lol. It's not a bad thing to have variety and choice i guess lol

Stream already started and this is schedule btw
Screenshot_2021-03-19-10-58-10-002_com.p