Stage Select

Anime and Manga Thread: Isekai must Die edition

7 hours ago, beesuit said:

Hai Domo. 

Edit: Kizuna live delayed to late Jan. No Hai Domo afterall, Hecatom doing zetsuboushita

Man, the Live was postponed due some difficulties.

I am really bummed for Kizuna Ai, she seems that cant catch a break lately 😢

Now it will be on late january.
Hopefully it works out for her and is a huge success.

I sincerely hope redo of a healer gets shit canned after the first episode and taken off of japanese tv lol.   The fact that complete and utter garbage like it is even getting a show and people are excited about it lets me know that the anime community in of itself is filled with irredeemable trash.   Meanwhile we will never get a second season of Grimgar.

Shiz, new Zombieland is just moments away. 

May as well throw Fate Grand Carnival in the mix of things as well

9 hours ago, Iduno said:

Well fuck, Tsukihime remake finally gonna make it

Feels more of an anime thread thing than a games thread thing so sticking it here instead

20 plus years since the OG and 12 years since the announcement, the animated OP is so sick. 

I'm just glad Naruto got with Hinata.

So I'm back into reading my vols. of One-Punch Man. I bought up to vol. 21 and I just finished vol. 12, so, yeah, I got some catching up to do. Yusuke Marata draws such intense fight scenes. I'm still amazed this dude got two Robot Masters into Mega Man games! 

*Ahem* The fight between Metal Bat and Garo was cool. Can't wait to see it animated.

I'm almost done reading Part 2 of JoJo's Bizarre Adventure. I think Araki-san loves drawing gory, grotesque scenes. Some of the stuff that creeped me out in the anime looks more unsettling in manga form. Also, it's interesting to see his older art with his newer style. The Pillar Men and JoJo are all body builder figures in his old style but his modern style has them considerably more slimmed down. Kinda how Toriyama's style has changed a bit.

It still blows my mind that these three pages are not just the same artist, but the same character.  Dude must have had a midlife crisis during production.

Too bad it was the first iteration that got the anime deal.  Maybe some day it'll get a proper adaptation that isn't more known for being mad sus than being actually good.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

On 1/12/2021 at 6:28 PM, Angel said:

Watched Mushoku Tensei and it looks nice but I am not gonna hold my breath on it.   Gonna keep watching though

It was fun to read through, once you got past the cringy first couple of chapters. I'm curious to see how far they'll go with the animation.

11 hours ago, Reiraku said:

It was fun to read through, once you got past the cringy first couple of chapters. I'm curious to see how far they'll go with the animation.

I think those issues are part of its charm. People complain about self insert OP main chars, but the way around that is give them flaws and quirks that a reader/author may not like themselves. Otherwise it can just be very bland and boring. Video games have the advantage of silent protags, and I think more video games should absolutely take advantage of that, as it lets the reader role play and gives you much more room to work with. But for anything else, you kind of need to make strong characters who have hooks. They can be smart, but they also need to often be stupid and weird and cringe.

I remember when reading MT, I'd be disgusted with the MC many times. But that was the point. You get to see him grow and experience the world around him and also it makes his moments shine as a result.

I don't know how much they can really do with the anime however. Realistically it's a hell of a lot of content, and much of the start of it is prologue and setup. I think also what made is to so good is out of the LNs and WNs I've read, this author is by far, by far the most talented of them all. The only other WN writer I've read that actually has that brilliant control of his characters and setting is Atelier Tanaka, and I think he mostly does it as satire, but it's too subtle for so many readers to pick up on. The whole thing is like an isekai deconstruction, which obviously is different from actually doing a more serious work like MT was, way back in 2012. MT basically spawned/popularized the isekai genre and the common tropes, even if it wasn't first, similar to how WOW popularized MMOs and spawned the industry's popularity.

1 hour ago, Serpent said:

I remember when reading MT, I'd be disgusted with the MC many times. But that was the point. You get to see him grow and experience the world around him and also it makes his moments shine as a result.

I was mostly referring to how he described certain things early on. Like in the anime, he describes Roxy as "a girl that's perfect for marriage" where as in the LN, he says "a sleepy eye'd mage loli. That alone could make me cum three times."

He quickly gets past that and the story improves for it.