Stage Select

Video Game Discussion Thread vol. 2

5 hours ago, Hecatom said:

The thing is that there are a lot of people who sadly, think that a live action adaptation be for a cartoon, anime, video game, etc is an upgrade over  their original medium by default.

Hence why we are getting so much live adaptations and remakes of properties that have been successful on other mediums.

No joke, i have a cousin who is a fan of Spiderman ,the kind of fan that mostly watched the cartoons as a kid, and loved most of the movies, who didn't watch Into the Spiderverse because it was a cartoon, it was until  way later that my siblings and brother in law were hammering into him how good the movie was and that for us was waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better than any of the live action movies that he decided it to watch it.

Sadly, most normies are like that.

They wouldn't watch an anime or animated adaptation of something, even if as a medium tends to be better suited for them.

The irony is that most "live" adaptations are animated movies nowdays with how much CGI they use.

It is why the absurd obsession with photorealism in graphics despite the increased costs of production.

This^ 

I have a cousin also that just has this weird stigma against almost anything  animated and its just a weird thing to come across with people.  Can't even get the man to consider watching Arcane despite him always asking our group in the chat for something to watch.   I remember telling you guys when I worked at GS that there was a person who came in there and was shitting on Borderlands purely because it was cel shaded and looked like a cartoon.  Didn't pay attention anything else content wise...just homed in on that.  There are peoole who absolutely love everything that the MCU has done but have barely if at all picked up a comic book and read it.  Adapations are a necessary thing to get people in on IPs and worlds that they probably wouldn't have touched otherwise.  I know purists are always going to tell people that they need to read, play, watch etc the source that something comes from but thats not going to be the case for many especially if they have a mental block about it.  The best thing that you can hope for in an adapation is it gets across what makes the IP great without having to make as many sacrifices or concessions in its conversion to the other medium and hope that it can bring in new people to the IP while having some appeal to original fans.  If your adaptation actually has some influence in some way to the original then thats even better from the adaptation stand point (I.E. Kano origin change, Shang Tsung in general, the laser room from the first RE movie showing up in RE4). 

I want both anime and game adaptations to get to a point where comics are right now where someone's watching a show or a movie and that person is excited about and you can just go 'this was originally this you know?'  And it might make some peoole broaden their views.

2 hours ago, RSG3 said:

Exactly the same as its always been. Elden Ring is Dark Souls III but open world and with more refined combat mechanics and some new mechanics layered on top of that. That's honestly it. The FP Skills are much better now, the Magic is much better now, there is minor crafting elements like making Arrows and shit.

We'll see how long stuff stays good once the PVP crowd starts crying about whatever skill they cant handle, but for now stuff is actually good and useful. Faith Spells are useful. Its nice.

I see. Maybe I'll try to blow through DS3 before I pick up Sekiro just to say I did it, and if I end up liking it, I'll look into ER.

From what people said in the beta, spells were pretty OP in pvp and I could see how that might be given there apparently isn't always a lot of terrain to hide behind. I'm sure the pvp meta will change a lot as the game gets more figured out anyway.

Edited by DoctaMario
3 hours ago, DoctaMario said:

Video game adaptations are going to be the new thing for Hollywood now which could be good or bad I guess.

I always loved Twisted Metal, especially the characters and their backstories, but it'll be interesting to see what they do with that. I never would have thought a tv adaptation of that would be a thing.

Well, seeing that on the streaming wars content is king, we know that we will see a lot of those adaptations pop up out of nowhere.

Just see at the upcoming Halo and the Sony games series coming.

ohhhhh yessss I'm all in on the sorcery... I just noticed this vid... looked it up after seeing someone post some ridiculously cool spell that DESTROYED a boss in a couple of seconds ....but look at how awesome this shit is:

ah, I see...it's called "Comet Azur"... requires 60 points on Intelligence.  

ohhhhh it just gets better... that Dark Moon spell!!!  Yeahhh I'm changing up to go ALL in on Sorcery first chance I get at this point.  I was already leaning more on magic now at level 28 with 25 points Int and 16 points Dex.  

I just found the area with one sorcery trainer, so now I've learned "Scholar's Armament", Great Glintstone Shard and one of the barrage spells.... the Armament spell may still be good since I still use a mixture of magic and sword attacks.

The latest battle with Tree Sentinel---I knew all hope was lost this last time, so I at least went out with a good time... without the horse, and my wolf summons easily killed by this godlike bastard... I at least stood my ground one final time and hit that Carian Great Sword, like "FORM BLAZING SWORD!!"... it actually hit and knocked off a serious chunk of health.  I only had enough time for charge 1 on it though... now I'm thinking if I could just hit him with a fully charged version....oh yeah, your time is coming soon, Tree Sentinel....

Well, against "Ancient Hero" boss, it seems mages are just fucked 99% of the time.  This character PERFECTLY dodges projectile magic just about every time.  They probably made it that way so a mage can't just easily destroy him from range but come on...the result here is that the vast majority of what I can do to this boss is useless then.

Edited by MillionX

Pokemon Legends: Arceus has become the Pokemon game I have sunk the most hours into. Catching mons, looking for mons, just basic stuff is so freaking fun in this game. 

Me: Oh, there's a satchel over there on the map. I should go fetch it and help a trainer out.

Alpha Pokemon with LEVELS on me:

Are You Sure About That John Cena GIF by MOODMAN

I have never sweated so many bullets getting a satchel. This Alpha Heracross with practically sitting on the thing. I had to hide in the tall grass, distract it with some food, ride in with Wyrdeer to get it and then BOOK. You could see a freaking smoke trail after my cheeks was gone from that area.

remind me never to buy DBFZ 2 or any other arcsys game ever again. 

and before you ask why.

its cuz with DBFZ they adopted this whole EA level of "pay to win" with their dlc characters. 

and this whole "pay to win" business model may be just..ok if we talkin about EA fps or mmos. and i dont believe it is just ok. but maybe some folks who play fps dont mind it so much.

but keep that bs outta fighting games. cuz at least us dbfz players,  its left a bad taste in our mouths with the tremendous character imbalance..the disparity between tiers has become too great at this stage of the game's lifespan.

cuz arcsys turned that game into a party fighter. you cant take it seriously. which is fucked up man.

edit: i had such high hopes for dbfz when it first appeared and won the E3 award for best game years ago..tho the game was in beta. way unfinished.

guess what? now its finished.

and it stinks lol.

arcsys ruined it by pulling an EA on all of us.

Edited by VirginDefiler

Elden Ring adventures continue.... 

so I got the meteor staff now; S-tier scaling with Intelligence makes it currently one of the best staffs in the game.  I have Glintblade Phalanx as well, but I've been using the Great Shard spell more often....it's like a more powerful "Pebble", but the downfall is that the range is noticeably much shorter.  I also picked up Carian Slicer... I'm level 32, putting all points into either Int, Mind or Vigor at this point.

The "Banished Knights" in Stormveil are no joke; I died several times to them on the first meeting a few days ago; still died a few times just yesterday when revisiting the castle.  They have some ability where they stomp the ground which causes a whirlwind effect... this knocks you down so that you are in a stunned status...and thus, wide open for him to complete a combo that WILL kill you, guaranteed.  (*unless you've just dumped points into Health as much as possible and wear good armor, I suppose)  

...oh yeah... I should definitely keep maximizing my time exploiting the hell out of any OP stuff like that Comet magic asap....since it just hit me that in this modern era of gaming... it's always just a matter of time before the developer nerfs certain things to the point of it becoming useless.  I need to make the most out of whatever I can get until they start "fixing" a few things here...

I really hate that mindset, btw....and it seems to be MOST companies.  --"uh oh...this is a bit too strong...too effective... we'll have to fix it so it becomes a shitty skill that no one wants to use..."  It's all the time... whatever the good shit is that people find---guaranteed the company behind the game will stomp that out with the next patch.

*edit---the enemy variety in this game is outstanding as well; sooo many cool designs, cool things to fight....and some things that are straight up terrifying, tbh.  One particularly disturbing moment was when I got teleported to another area, where I was on the steps in front of a building...I turned around, facing outside to see this GIANT demon (looks like at least the size of a building) looking creature, solid black with wings, just standing there with its back turned.  I didn't even try it... I crept on out of there with the quickness like nah, bruh.

Edited by MillionX
1 hour ago, OPTIMUS124 said:

Y'all are hyping the hell out of Elden Ring. I'm sure I'll get on it in a few months. The only other From Software game was Sekiro and didn't get far. Granted, it just didn't hit me out of the gate. 

Sekiro didn't grab me at first either (it was my first From game as well)  and I put it down for almost a year. Ironically, after playing Jedi Fallen Order, which is considered "Souls Light" in terms of combat, the mechanics in Sekiro finally clicked when I tried it again.  It became one of my favorite games I've ever played.  I recommend maybe trying it again to see if it hits differently after some time.

5 hours ago, VirginDefiler said:

and before you ask why.

its cuz with DBFZ they adopted this whole EA level of "pay to win" with their dlc characters. 

and this whole "pay to win" business model may be just..ok if we talkin about EA fps or mmos. and i dont believe it is just ok. but maybe some folks who play fps dont mind it so much.

but keep that bs outta fighting games. cuz at least us dbfz players,  its left a bad taste in our mouths with the tremendous character imbalance..the disparity between tiers has become too great at this stage of the game's lifespan.

cuz arcsys turned that game into a party fighter. you cant take it seriously. which is fucked up man.

edit: i had such high hopes for dbfz when it first appeared and won the E3 award for best game years ago..tho the game was in beta. way unfinished.

and it stinks lol.

For what they seemed to be aiming at with it being a legit fighting game for competition, yeah they botched it. As a fun DBZ fighting game it is fine.

1 hour ago, Chadouken said:

Sekiro didn't grab me at first either (it was my first From game as well)  and I put it down for almost a year. Ironically, after playing Jedi Fallen Order, which is considered "Souls Light" in terms of combat, the mechanics in Sekiro finally clicked when I tried it again.  It became one of my favorite games I've ever played.  I recommend maybe trying it again to see if it hits differently after some time.

I'll take that suggestion. I've watched few clips since and just wondered "why don't I play this" 🤣. The Fallen Order analogy gives me more than enough reasons.

Elden Ring is cool but to me its just nuDemon's Souls or nuDark Souls.  Its a lot of the same with improvements and upgrades and shit.  Its fun too. 

I haven't played much, games like this take me years to complete.  Its real pretty.  How the hell do you guys figure these bad guys names out?  It never shows their names.

I cleared this little camp out and got some treasures.  I'm not such a good...I'm not too good at fighting.  So I took what I think was the leader of the camp out with the bow.  Well, I got the first sneak attack on him while he was walkin' back and forth and I ran away.  He gave chase but lost me.  So I crept up on him and got another sneak attack (backstab) on him and from there I used the bow. 

mtGNjuA.png

SpxEPp5.jpg

I'm not big on character creation stuff, I get bored with it so my guy is just default guy.  I'm still rollin' with the dagger and shield I started with.  I needs me a spear.  I'm not sure where I'll go next.

1 hour ago, Abbachio said:

Elden Ring has been kicking the absolute shit out of me, like I don't think I'm a great Souls player but I'm decent enough to where I've done so many different builds and playstyles and playthroughs where I get through em pretty well, but Jesus H. Christ this one is slamming my boy hole.

I thought I'm pretty good in the Souls game(played and beaten original Demon Soul, DS 2) but I just spend 1 hour+ yesterday tryna to beat this beast:

spacer.png

..and I failed horribly and had to tapped out. He just goes fucking ballistic when he is down to 50% HP like a lvl 99 Super Saiyan bullshit. Best I got it down was 20% and that was with 2 other homies.

Maybe I'm just getting old?

Tired Happy Birthday GIF by Looney Tunes

8 hours ago, VirginDefiler said:

and before you ask why.

and it stinks lol.

Eh...I feel like I've seen this song and dance with DBFZ before at least 3 separate times over the course of its life and I think labcoat 21 is being overblown.  She's been out for a week.  She has a lot of tools and yeah there are def some things about her that make you lift an eyebrow (permanent debuff/buff, healing actual health and not just blue health off command grab)  but we still don't know where she is going to sit in tge current meta/neutral of this game yet with the fusions lording over everything.  She's a really good character, amazing but is she anywhere near the menace of SS4 Gogeta or UI?  Or hell even Season 2 GT rat?  I'm not convinced right now.

Fighting games with dlc always have instances of overtuned characters when they get first released and then they get nerfed afterwards cause the character is actually OP or people's complaints won't stop.  Its not new to DBFZ and its not going to be new to fighting games before or after with dlc.

1 hour ago, RSG3 said:

It's always interesting to me when people say multi-hour RPGs are meh after only playing a few hours of the content. I'm never sure how to respond to it. In typical FromSoft fashion the game starts slow and pretty aimless but becomes a greater experience as you get deeper into the game. But all I know to say really.

Be that as it may, for something that was really talked up on the writing the first 3 ish hours have been pretty barren aside from the world and my character clumsily stabbing at each other.

Like, it's not bad, but maybe it feels like playing Morrowind with better combat but no one to talk to?

19 minutes ago, Reticently said:

Be that as it may, for something that was really talked up on the writing the first 3 ish hours have been pretty barren aside from the world and my character clumsily stabbing at each other.

Like, it's not bad, but maybe it feels like playing Morrowind with better combat but no one to talk to?

I don't remember the writing being talked up much, just that GRRM was gonna help with the world building. I didn't really follow the lead up to this game tho since I was getting it regardless. The writing and character interaction seems the same as any other FromSoft game to me. 

Honestly of all the Souls games this one reminds me of Kings Field the most. Even has the damn plants that crawl across the ground and shoot poison shit at you lol.  

Edited by RSG3
13 hours ago, VirginDefiler said:

Snip

You are talking like if

A) All the dlc chars have been top tier, which they haven't

B) Top tier chars have only happened on DBFZ/ASW games.

DLC chars that have been Top tier/Strong on release

SFV

Akuma, Sagat, Zeku, Urien, Abigail, G to name some.

Tekken 7

Geese, Leroy, Akuma, Fahkumram , Julia, Zafina, Marduk, Lidia

Samsho 7

Shizumaru, Kazuki, Mina, Sogetsu, Iroha, Gongsun Li, Warden, Hibiki

For shits and giggles (I don't think is a fg)

Smash

Joker, Pyra/Mytra, Steve, Terry, Ryu, Ken, Hero, Byleth, Kazuya.

And on the subject of DBFZ DLC chars, of the 20 chars that have been DLC, only 6 have been considered top tier on launch, meanwhile 8 have been considered low tier.

With each season having their chars spread on between both ends very consistently.

The truth is that

A) No one wants DLC chars that are bad

B) Balancing chars is not easy.

C) On an already stablished franchise, people want the chars on the game to represent the chars from the source material.

Leaving aside if is on purpose or not, which we can't confirm neither deny (but we can make a case for the later, seeing the evidence that not all the dlc chars on the games listed, have been made top tier), you will always get chars that will be stronger than others.

Edited by Hecatom
4 hours ago, RegH81 said:

Elden Ring has BEARS? Like GAME OVER YEEEEAAAAAH BEARS?  I've dealt with Guardians, Lynels and other house sized creatures but I draw the line at real MF bears, especially when they got arms the size of a TV screen. 

No Way Reaction GIF

I saw that bear from a clip of the beta. That's a massive case of hell tf nah. I would've hauled ass if I seen that giant murder bear😂

ok yeah...it's looking like it may be a few months at least before I can beat the goddamn Tree Sentinel.  I've managed to get him to around 50% health at this point though, thanks to new spells and staff.  It's interesting that Margit actually seems more consistently beatable, imo.  

*EDIT---ah.... but actually I've been using the weaker staff while on horseback though... I'll try with the Meteorite staff then...it boosts the "Rock Sling" spell that does so much damage... yeah this might still take a truly end-game level character to even have a real shot against him.  This character is straight bullshit 100% of the fucking time.  It's like the AI itself knows.... he's killing me faster and faster with each attempt now.

Oddly enough, he doesn't seem to reflect the rock sling spell that often.....still I don't have enough time to hit with that spell often enough to really kill him...and the wolves don't last worth a damn against this dude.  They actually last a decent amount of time against Margit.

Even worse is this one named Godskin Apostle... I think that's the name.. I fought him earlier and couldn't even get a chance to damage him most of the time.  He just instantly wipes you out once the fight starts.  There's one hell of a jump puzzle to even get to him, btw....of course they made that as hellish as possible too; I ONLY made it since I went on and looked up the damn youtube video; I have very little patience for some silly ass jump puzzle nonsense....I'm here for the action.

EDIT 2----annnnd that's a wrap!  Tree Sentinel is DONE!

mad season 2 GIF by American Gods

Here's the thing---that little building structure off to the right... I ran up there out of desperation this last 2 or 3 times...and noticed he doesn't usually follow you onto the roof!  This last time though... I had nothing left... no more FP flasks, no more health potion... none of the other one either.... BUT I had him down to almost nothing!  I remembered that I did have 1 item on me that allows FP regeneration for a short time, so I used that... eventually got enough to cast Rock Sling at least one last time.  This still didn't do it... it just took him down to probably 1 or 2 hp.... and I was back to nothing....except throwing knives... I kept trying to get the angle and finally got one lucky hit on him to finish it.

...should've gone to sleep a long time ago... I had to get one more battle in... I just killed one of the Erd Trees.

Edited by MillionX
7 hours ago, Reticently said:

From what I have been hearing ER is yet another dark souls game but now open world and that's just perfect I guess. These games don't tell you much about of what you need to do or why are you fighting for, like barely any NPCs to talk to or any cutscenes,info telling you most of the story at once. I think what are they trying to convey here is for you to find the answers through the game by playing the game. When I first finished Bloodborne my first souls game I understood jack shit about the narrative because it took me so long to beat that game I didn't quite get any of the story at all.  A friend of mine who beat the game first was like "so you didn't get this part?! or you didn't know this other thing?" Nope, guess I was too busy getting pounded by these monsters I didn't pay attention,lol. 

And it's something I actually like a lot about  the game among other things like: no tutorial,no map,no cutscenes,no annoying NPCs that never shut up, no pause button, no button change configuration,no difficulty change settings, no shortcuts no pain no gain. 

Edited by rukawa_kaede