Stage Select

Street Fighter 6 Lounge: The FGC has a crack problem.

12 hours ago, Darc_Requiem said:

The voice clips datamined from the beta confirm that she's a judoka and grappler. So they seem to have a similar archetype. 

yeah, french nationality (even if Abel was'nt really french) and judo throws is what won her the female-abel tag lol

For who did'nt followed much the datamining:

On reality they're supposed to be VERY different lol (even if on Capcom side she's indeed being used as Abel replacement)

Abel was supposed to do Sambo (like mma/sambo legend Fedor Emelianenko), so his grappling  was judo throws mixed with wrestling and got some striking as natural part of the style. Plus Abel was'nt much finesse kind of judoka, had technique but used also lot of his huge strenght to grab fools and slam them

Manon will likely be very very elite as judo technique, she's a olympics gold medalist judoka after all (wich link to the datamined "medal mode" where her throws get a boost)

I think they will still put emphasis on her superathlete status, even beside the olympic thing watching the design and assuming artwork is accurate, she's very tall for a female character and she have wide shoulders*, plus training weights on both wrists and ankles... but of course her style will not be as strenght-based as Abel's was

She also will use "ballet" in her fighting style, guess for striking side as they may want compensate the fact judo (competitive sport version) does'nt have strikes.

Hope they will do it as elegance/flexibility thing rather than just anime silly gimmick like Ingrid ballet moves were

To be fair to Capcom here their very first concept for Abel was'nt an huge muscular Sambo fighter but a small and feminine french kid (yes, he's a male) who had to rely 100% on technique for his throws

The original concept for Abel was... different

so to some extent Manon will return to original idea of a super technical french judoka

*purely based on artwork would say if was'nt for Marisa making debut too, Manon had strong change of being SF biggest girl so far, she seems at least as tall if not taller than Elena but more wide frame

3 hours ago, CESTUS III said:

Tbh the misunderstanding is think a character is'nt already well done just because does'nt have success with the audience

I mean, of course increase their popularity would have been improvement, but more as products rather than as characters

Even if in some cases could have been done more to push them (Abel in particular) FANG, Abel, and Hawk are 3 characters that perfectly fit the spirit of SF as series, real problem is that the audience does'nt necessary give fucks about SF spirit, and now that teh internet allow the audience to be loud (social media boosted that by a lot), developers are pressured by marketing to give up part of their vision and deviate their path to fit the request of

🜏 Edmund McMillen 🜏 on Twitter: "Reminder: you have till the 21st to send  in pics of you at target with a copy of the target version of four souls to  get

(to use same char of that meme, on reality good chunk of japanese audience is part of this too lol)

who say their characters are shit/boring, wich happen mayority of times a char is'nt perceived as cool or waifu

3 hours ago, CESTUS III said:

(to use same char of that meme, on reality good chunk of japanese audience is part of this too lol)

who say their characters are shit/boring, wich happen mayority of times a char is'nt perceived as cool or waifu

One thing i appreciated is see Capcom dropping an Honda in SF6 start cast, feels like developers will to push in a character they wanted regardless of internet whining about "wasted slots"

It's good that they can push as many "Hondas" they can in start cast, because after the marketing pressure would be harder to contrast during DLC seasons, as there will be even greater push on try to figure out wich characters will sell more rather than wich characters would help most cast variety or cover archetypes

I'll just quote this

combined with the usual JAPANESE STYLE and WESTERN STYLE lmao

Edited by Shakunetsu

Not saying I completely disagree with the discussion from the last page, but you have to keep in mind that female characters are still by and large less popular than male characters, in fighting games and videogames as a whole. This is the current Top 10 ranking for SFV character usage:

NcOoG2j.png

9 out of 10 characters are males and I think Juri's only up there because she got recently revealed for SF6 and people are hyped a bit. Usually she's a bit farther down IIRC.

The fact that they're also bringing back DeeJay and, of all things, Ed show that they're willing to experiment with less popular characters and finding a new place for them. Birdie in SFV is another good example for this IMO.

Serious reply: I don’t think anyone is really arguing that dudes aren’t more popular or that Capcom doesn’t experiment in various ways on making characters more popular. 

It’s not so much that what they’re doing right now in SF6 that’s wrong. I’m more worried about how fan reactions to certain changes will affect the decision making in the future. It really seems like Capcom can slap tits on an otherwise boring design and it’ll suddenly be more popular. Why bother putting in effort to restyle characters in a way like DeeJay or Birdie when you can just go the gender swap route for much less effort?

Edited by Vhozite
30 minutes ago, Vhozite said:

Serious reply: I don’t think anyone is really arguing that dudes aren’t more popular or that Capcom doesn’t experiment in various ways on making characters more popular. 

It’s not so much that what they’re doing right now in SF6 that’s wrong. I’m more worried about how fan reactions to certain changes will affect the decision making in the future. It really seems like Capcom can slap tits on an otherwise boring design and it’ll suddenly be more popular. Why bother putting in effort to restyle characters in a way like DeeJay or Birdie when you can just go the gender swap route for much less effort?

Yeah but if DeeJay looked like Patra, I'd be lying if I said I'd complain. Whatever happened to Patra anyway?

patra-singer-400df920-f801-4fa2-b590-19f

1 hour ago, Sonero said:

Guilty Gear Strive Crossplay beta is about to drop this weekend. If it doesn't run well on my PS4 but still implemented...well that's gonna end up being a real big problem.

14.5GB download, but you can try all DLC for free?   lezzgo!

Hell you can try the whole game for free; you don't need to have purchased Strive to betatest it?  Seriously?!  😮  

The application download and beta test participation will be available for free to anyone, even if they haven't purchased the game. This would be a great chance to invite a friend to play with you!

■Schedule (PDT)
October 13, 18:00 to October 17, 00:00
*The application is separate from the main game. It will be available for download separately.

■Playable Characters
21 characters, including additional DLC characters

Daaaamn

16 hours ago, Vhozite said:

People hate the lonely/virgin nerd stereotype, but looking at what I see of the SF fan base there seems to be some truth to it.

There are lonely virgins who play all sorts of games but I don't think SF has ever made or will make female characters based on lonely men. Not saying that the bimbofication  of male fighters into female fighters can't have a tangential link but this seems extremely presumptuous.

When it comes to stuff you like being ruined by a company catering to the lowest common denominator, the only thing you can really do to fight it is support the stuff you think is good as much as possible and just hope the tide changes somehow. 

Hot fighting games girls and lowest common denominator aren't mutually exclusive. This seems awfully puritanical. Like how does this work? If 50% of the starting roster is women is it appealing to the lowest common denominator? What if only half of the female cast looks like Manon and the other half look like Marisa? I'm not trying to be overly pedantic but even 3rd Strike Makoto a character that by modern standards isn't a "sex appeal" character has a strong base of sycophant's that opine for to be in the game because of muh tomboy supremacy. I'm not sure how you would fight against this either. Saying you won't by the the DLC? Just not getting SF6? I get you probably mean broadly and not just SF6 but some games have gotten backlash because they choose not to appease the waifu sweaty's namely MK11 and DOA6.

A bit of a tangent, but this feels like an unforeseen consequence of us (gamers) fighting so hard against games costing over $60 in the mid-late 2000’s. If people had been more open to higher upfront costs back in the day maybe we could’ve avoided (or at least delayed) games needing to be dress-up sims to make money. So in a manner of speaking I feel like we did this too ourselves.

This... seems like such an insane stretch I think Dhalsim would be jealous. Games being insanely expensive during that time gate kept so many people from being able to enjoy the medium. I get you're probably theory crafting that this is the result rather than making some objective claim but I have no idea how anyone could come up with this. It doesn't even track because games are now costing more and are still releasing post launch content that you must pay for. You do realize male characters also get costumes to wear to right? It seems like the implication is that incel paypigs are willing to whale out for their waifus but had we let inflated game price stay inflated this wouldn't be an issue now? I'm not trying to be patronizing I'm just confused lol

That being said even if your observation was true *pulls out wallet*

I'M STILL GONNA COOOOOOOOOOM IM COOOOMING BABY!!! 

spacer.png

Edit: eye spy skort deleting their post 😉

Edited by TWINBLADES

I also don't think the 60 price model was the reason for increased DLC but simply the acceptance of it was. Players went from laughing at Oblivion's horse armour to buying Oblivion's horse armour to asking for more horse armour for their games the moment they have beaten them. Every god-awful business model used in games these days – cat-in-the-bag season passes, day one DLC, "free"-to-play nonsense – exists because enough people buy into it to make it more profitable than a singular 60 bucks purchase ever could be.

Against my better judgement, and because I didn't get into the SF6 beta, I tried Overwatch 2 the last weekend and it's straight up disgusting. Prices for skins are so inflated that the stuff that I unlocked through the "first" game is, according to their ingame currency logic, worth over 10.000 bucks. And no, I'm not making that up.

Anyway, I thought I had a point somewhere but I don't think I do.

I think level 3 supers should have DI invincibility. I actually feel pretty strongly about this. It's okay if level 1/2 don't. If you're in burn out wtf are you supposed to do to defend yourself? I don't think it would fuck the meta up to allow this. It's not like level 3's are like V-Trigger where if you land it on hit or block you can change the tide of the match. If you mag dump your level 3 and they block you're fucking cooked and you have no drive meter and no super meter. 

Edit: People in the comments are saying level 3's have invul but I swear I saw people getting slapped put of their level 3's when done when someone would DI.... hmmmm I wish the fucking game was out now so I could actually see 😞

Edited by TWINBLADES

@TWINBLADES I swear I’ve seen Max use Kim’s level 3 to beat drive impact a few times. Can’t remember to be sure, but I feel like invincible supers win against DI.

As for the example in the video you posted, Level 2 for Ken doesn’t have any invincibility. It seems like most Level 2s don’t*, so you have to use the one that does and it will beat DI. That seems to be most Level 1s, all Level 3s, and Critical Arts.

*Luke’s Level 2 does have invincibility. However his Level 1 doesn’t and will get stuffed.

@TWINBLADESim on mobile and Megashock just ate 75% of the draft I spend almost an hour typing. I want to reply because you obviously put effort into your post but I really don’t have the energy to retype basically my whole response to you. 

I might get back to you later but idk…if you want to hand me an L because I didn’t respond I 100% understand. 

Edit: if I can get some time in front of my laptop tomorrow I’ll try to do it then 

Edited by Vhozite
4 hours ago, TWINBLADES said:

Brah the models yo…. The whole game is gonna look like this wtf 

Wait so this is actually in the game, as in they improved the models from the beta or a fan edit? Someone explain this to me exactly 

Edited by HD-Man